Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Wheel Bases Thread

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 3,717 comments
"Update"
The method you suggested is working but not perfect.
Most things are working as expected. The force feed back is functioning very heavy. I have to turn it down much more than what I use on PC games.
The problem is with the gear shifting. For example while driving the Mercedes F1 car: When cruising along in 8th gear it will sometimes suddenly jump down to third gear. So I drove the F1 car on the "Special Stage Route X" - where I could just cruise along with no other inputs but the throttle. And it would still jump down to 3rd gear from 8th on occasion.
While driving the F1 car on the Nordschleife when accelerating hard in 4th gear it would sometimes jump down to third gear.

I switched from PS4 mode to Comp PS4 mode and the same problem was there.
So it works but it would be a problem to do any competition racing with this set up.

"Update"
The method you suggested is working but not perfect.
Most things are working as expected. The force feed back is functioning very heavy. I have to turn it down much more than what I use on PC games.
The problem is with the gear shifting. For example while driving the Mercedes F1 car: When cruising along in 8th gear it will sometimes suddenly jump down to third gear. So I drove the F1 car on the "Special Stage Route X" - where I could just cruise along with no other inputs but the throttle. And it would still jump down to 3rd gear from 8th on occasion.
While driving the F1 car on the Nordschleife when accelerating hard in 4th gear it would sometimes jump down to third gear.

I switched from PS4 mode to Comp PS4 mode and the same problem was there.
So it works but it would be a problem to do any competition racing with this set up.
May be @Podger will be able to help you.

@DomB_Fanatec @super_gt
Tuning Menu Accessibility w/Podium Hub

Consider these 3 steering wheel setups used on DD1 (F1); 1.) Podium F1 wheel, 2.) Podium Endurance Module on Podium Hub, and 3.) Podium Hub with 2 button clusters. Usage is currently only PS4. The third equipment arrangement precludes access to the tuning menu on the fly (so without switching wheels or connecting USB to PC). To make the number 3 setup able to access the tuning menu, one would have to change out the podium hub for a clubsport hub. This seems short-sighted from a design standpoint since chronologically Podium came after Clubsport. Why does the clubsport hub have this ability and not the Podium Hub? What other alternative(s) do you recommend?

Last edited:
Hi Rob, you are correct, a Podium Hub on its own (or with just the Button Cluster Pack) does not incorporate Tuning Menu access on the wheel, because it is missing three elements: Tuning button, directional stick / FunkySwitch, and a display. The Podium Hub was designed as more of a simple, modular component compared to the ClubSport Universal Hub. The Podium Hub is not a direct equivalent, otherwise it would have been named the 'Podium Universal Hub'.

The Podium Hub is not only the core of the modular "Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R", but it also serves as the most elegant solution for attaching third-party USB steering wheels to a Fanatec wheel base (for PC use). This can be achieved with the ClubSport Universal Hub as well, but in not such an elegant way. This is something our PC audience was looking for. Tuning Menu access can be achieved on PC through the driver, or through the FanaLab software (on compatible wheel bases).

The Podium Hub requires additional modular components to add direct Tuning Menu access. At the moment, the only way to do this is via the Podium Button Module Endurance, which adds the Tuning button, FunkySwitch, and display, along with a number of other features and inputs. To make it match the feature set of the ClubSport Universal Hub, you need to add shifters as well, and there are two options now: Podium Advanced Paddle Module and ClubSport Magnetic Paddle Module.

The Podium Hub is a more premium component compared to the ClubSport Hub. It has a stronger core construction, newer electronics (firmware updatable, unlike the ClubSport Universal Hub), and a more compact, purposeful appearance. A fully assembled GT3 R wheel with a Podium Hub at its core is the more premium device compared to the version using the ClubSport hub.

What other alternative(s) do you recommend?

The Podium Hub and the associated Podium Steering Wheel R300 are the only options in our range that do not include hardware Tuning Menu access out of the box. All of our other steering wheels have it, and they are all compatible with the PlayStation 4 / 5 when using the DD1 from the Podium Racing Wheel F1, so there are many alternatives.

@DomB_Fanatec
Thanks for the insights and comments. One thing for sure that I was unaware; clubsport universal Hub not being firmware updatable. Seems from website info that it is compatible with Fanalab, so what are the ramifications of this Hub not being firmware updatable?
(I’m wondering if I should drop $279.96 while they are twenty remaining to get Tuning Menu access for every wheel scenario).

@DomB_Fanatec
The new BMW wheel is all the talk but I am much more intrigued by the new quick release and thus, I'll post here. What does it mean for the current quick release system? I am hoping there is a retrofit solution where the new quick release will bolt to the gold part of the podium hub (with equally nifty solution for the wires). Seems the mechanism bolted to the DD wheel base will change also - that seems more straight forward with a simple change out.
upload_2020-12-5_20-35-20.png

The lack of a direct, stand alone PS4/5 DD wheelbase is disappointing. And, the Clubsport isn't either. Come on Fanatec. The Podium F1 is a set. I don't need/want the rim.

Last edited:
The lack of a direct, stand alone PS4/5 DD wheelbase is disappointing. And, the Clubsport isn't either. Come on Fanatec. The Podium F1 is a set. I don't need/want the rim.

Its pretty greedy of them to not offer the Playstation DD1 as a standalone base.

Its pretty greedy of them to not offer the Playstation DD1 as a standalone base.
This is a Sony licensing requirement. The PlayStation version of the wheel base has to be sold as a 'Racing Wheel', i.e. a wheel base and steering wheel combined. This has been the same for other manufacturers as well. In some cases, this agreement can change, allowing the base to be sold on its own (as was eventually the case with the Wheel Base +), but that is not guaranteed to happen.

Apologies in advance for asking again. There's a wealth of information in all 122 pages and I will get through them later. But a quick question seeking a simple answer. I have the F1 DD1 PS4 and want to connect the Heusinkveld Sprint pedals on the PS4 console. Can I hook them up directly? If yes, what adapter cable do I need to do so? Thanks for the replies.

Apologies in advance for asking again. There's a wealth of information in all 122 pages and I will get through them later. But a quick question seeking a simple answer. I have the F1 DD1 PS4 and want to connect the Heusinkveld Sprint pedals on the PS4 console. Can I hook them up directly? If yes, what adapter cable do I need to do so? Thanks for the replies.

You'll most likely need a Drivehub adapter.

Im currently using one with my CSL wheel base (PS version) with Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals via drivehub. Playing on PS4

Recently bought a 3D printer and have been going a bit mad with it but one of the best things I have printed so far is the Z-Ring to solve the slop in the DD quick release. UPDATED: Podium DD1 And DD2 QR Issue The Z-Ring Solution – Zappadoc Website (eksimracing.com)

It's absolutely rock solid now. Print one yourself or even pay a printing service to do it for you. Well worth it.
I'm at 3 people who I've printed it for already, with a 4th coming. It's really useful! Love it on mine, wheel swap is fast.

Recently bought a 3D printer and have been going a bit mad with it but one of the best things I have printed so far is the Z-Ring to solve the slop in the DD quick release. UPDATED: Podium DD1 And DD2 QR Issue The Z-Ring Solution – Zappadoc Website (eksimracing.com)

It's absolutely rock solid now. Print one yourself or even pay a printing service to do it for you. Well worth it.
I bought one of these z rings from Europe but I haven’t installed it yet. I watched a video of the guy saying if you put the wheels on with the proper way, that you won’t have any slop. He was right as long as you put the wheel on in the fashion exactly instructed by fanatec. I don’t detect any play with the standard setup. Should I still use or swap out for this Z ring?

Using a DD1 with a Porsche 918 RSR rim.
There is no flex at all even if I try to reproduce it as hard as I can.

I used to follow the youtube video method Rob Brown describes but I noticed that there is no flex no matter how I attach my rim.

I bought one of these z rings from Europe but I haven’t installed it yet. I watched a video of the guy saying if you put the wheels on with the proper way, that you won’t have any slop. He was right as long as you put the wheel on in the fashion exactly instructed by fanatec. I don’t detect any play with the standard setup. Should I still use or swap out for this Z ring?
Well, with the Zring, it's as easy as just releasing the QR and sliding it on. With the Fanatec method, it forces you to unscrew, then release and retighten afterwards. It's a longer process, it's no longer a quick release at that point.

This is a Sony licensing requirement. The PlayStation version of the wheel base has to be sold as a 'Racing Wheel', i.e. a wheel base and steering wheel combined. This has been the same for other manufacturers as well. In some cases, this agreement can change, allowing the base to be sold on its own (as was eventually the case with the Wheel Base +), but that is not guaranteed to happen.
If the PS compatible wheelbase cannot be sold separately due to Sony license requirements what is the possibility Fanatec could offer bundles that meets the requirements but with different optional wheel packages?
Personally I have been thinking about a DD upgrade, prefer to buy a system that has the capability to work across all platforms and do not want the offered formula rim.

You’ll need a Drivehub adapter. I’m planning to run a DD2 with Sprints through a drivehub.
Hey Deadpool

Can you please update on your experience with the Sprints & DD2 setup as I’m planning on purchasing the Sprints this week to run with my Podium F1 via console PS4/5
Cheers

Hey Deadpool

Can you please update on your experience with the Sprints & DD2 setup as I’m planning on purchasing the Sprints this week to run with my Podium F1 via console PS4/5
Cheers

Hey sorry I haven’t logged on in awhile. I actually just got my Sprints last week.

They run flawlessly with the drivehub. And the upgrade over the CSL LC was huge. Will it make you faster? Depends. I found with the CSL’s the throttle angle was weird and I had to contort my foot. With the Sprints I could position/angle/adjust throw/preload etc till it was exactly where I needed them to be. This helped me with modulating throttle mid corner and smoother application on exit.

The key with the Sprints is the adjustability and having the desire/understanding to adjust them to fix deficiencies of other pedals. I spent a few hours calibrating/adjusting and I’m still looking for ways to optimize further.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Hey sorry I haven’t logged on in awhile. I actually just got my Sprints last week.

They run flawlessly with the drivehub. And the upgrade over the CSL LC was huge. Will it make you faster? Depends. I found with the CSL’s the throttle angle was weird and I had to contort my foot. With the Sprints I could position/angle/adjust throw/preload etc till it was exactly where I needed them to be. This helped me with modulating throttle mid corner and smoother application on exit.

The key with the Sprints is the adjustability and having the desire/understanding to adjust them to fix deficiencies of other pedals. I spent a few hours calibrating/adjusting and I’m still looking for ways to optimize further.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Thanks for the update DP
That’s awesome

Appreciate you feedback

Cheers

Little changes since last gt-s patch.
Now little more reactive and more details:)
Understeer rattle is slightly more noticable but thats the price to reach more fined ffb details and some road feel.
Maybe you guys like it too!

gt-s ingame:
strenght 3
sensivity 1

DD1 base:
sen 880°
ffb 64
lin off
ndp 70
nfr 4
nin 20
int 2