Far Cry Primal 2016

Far Cry 2 and 3 showed me that Ubisoft can't write a good story that actually has anything to do with what is going on in the game to save their lives. From what I've heard, Far Cry 4 is even worse in that regard. And now I can't even hunt elephants with a rocket launcher to pass the time.

So what else is there?

From what I've heard, Far Cry 4 is even worse in that regard.
The problem with Far Cry 3 is that you think you have reached the end of the story, and then find that you're only two thirds of the way through it. There's a whole extra chapter to it, and it feels unnecessary.

Far Cry 4, on the other hand, is actually brilliant. You really have to pay attention to what is going on, and you have to play through to the very end, but once you realise what happened, it's pretty mind-blowing.

I've never had any problems with the writing of 2, 3 or 4 - Both 3 and 4 had some brilliant acting also but essentially it was down to the writing that made them shine.

Can't speculate on long term play but just under two hours into Primal I'm far more hooked than I was on Far Cry 4.
Little story to speak of so far (and according to reviews this game is a bit light weight in that department, but it's not like I was expecting long-winded maniacal monologues and intricate plot twists from cave men) - but so far the game seems to be heading in exactly the direction I was hoping for.
A beautiful natural landscape (more atmospheric use of lighting than in Far Cry 4 - and of course no unsightly dirt roads criss-crossing 80% of the landscape), darker nights with more predators, lots of focus on hunting and gathering (you had that in the previous Far Crys as well of course, but it feels more at home in this setting) and more wildlife in general, and extensive weapons and skill trees.

Well, Primal is turning out to be absolutely awesome. The story seems paper thin and it's not a linear narrative, but I'm having so much fun lurking around the gorgeous landscapes (of which I've still only seen around 1/5th after eight hours) with my powerful lion companion (next up for taming: sabretooth) that I really don't care.
Easily one of the most immersive open world games I've ever played - trying to play with HUD turned off now for even more immersion - and I'm having as much fun with it as I am with Dying Light and Fallout 4.

Don't know if it's going to convert anyone who didn't like the previous Far Crys (I liked 2 and 3, didn't care at all for 4) but I'm sure as hell having a total blast with it.

It is a game that is growing on me. The whole time I've been playing, I keep thinking I will come across a town or something more modern. And I keep hitting (x) like I am reloading, damn modern shooters!

I am still very early in the story, I hate subtitles so I admit I haven't a clue what's going on anyway but there is a nice tone to the game when it comes to just being a complete savage.....understandably.

Ok, so I caved in and bought it for PC. :D Liking what I've seen so far (which is only the introduction), runs very smoothly on my laptop at high settings, can't wait to install it on my game PC.

My friend beat the main storyline yesterday in 12 hours taking his time. I was shocked to find out this is not co-op at all. FC4 co-op was amazing. Disappointed to hear this is not co-op. This will be a pass for me. I still have a LOT to do in FC4.

Those of you playing should tease us with some screenshots.

I'll post some pics later on, as the Uplay screenshoty thingy has horrible compression.

Really liking it so far, it's a change of pace from modern FPS games, a lot slower. The world feels very much alive and a wilderness, there's so much going on, both visually and sound-wise. Predators hunting animals, big eagles swooping down on unsuspecting wild boars, it's a lot of fun. 👍 Not sure I dig the story yet. And since I picked the special edition up for only 32 EUR, it's a real bargain. :D

Looks like Ubisoft never catches a break, because it appears that Primal's map looks to be a rehash of Far Cry 4's map:

(first map is FC4; the other Primal)
524558151.jpg

524558166.jpg

Could simply be a coincidence, but with the amount of similarities between the two maps, you can't really be against the possibility now can you?

Seriously, people are just looking for something to complain about. So what if they did reuse the basic map and expanded on it? And guess what? They also reused their graphics engine. They also reused the skinning animations (from Far Cry 3 through Far Cry 4 through Primal even!). And I bet they reused a lot of models (animals) as well, and textures, and sounds, and etc. etc. So what? And just look at those maps: it's clear that, while there are similarities, it's been completely redone. Just look at all the elevations (mountain ranges are completely different) or the islands in the river, you can see it's a complete remodel right there. Apart from the general layout, nothing is the same.

I'm all in favor of putting a publisher/dev to shame if they pull something shady, but this is not it.

And statements like "made it a little smaller and then modified it a bit, in hope that we would not notice what is going on" are wild-guessing at the least and clickbait at the most.

That could also be fully intentional, like it is meant to be the same land a few thousand years ago.

Exactly, if this was about Metal Gear Solid or Gran Turismo that'd be considered an easter egg! ;)

PS Nice Holden :)

Pick this up on pc release, liking it so far but I'm not mad in love with it. Rythm is a bit too slow for me unless you use fast travel. Lots of meaningless runs around the bushes. I hope there will be animal I can tame then use as a tool to travel faster later on.

Love the animal companion tho, manage to get a sabertooth tiger yesterday and it's awesome :D

Even if the map is the same, it looks totally different for me so I'm not sure what the argument is. In FF14 1.0 there was really bad copy-paste landscape that was obvious, nothing like that in this so I'm not bothered at all.

That could also be fully intentional, like it is meant to be the same land a few thousand years ago.

Even if the map is the same, it looks totally different for me so I'm not sure what the argument is.

I think it's just a nod to FC4. I don't think there's any doubt that they used the basic height-map of FC4 in FCP, but it's pretty much a complete rework. I'll see if I can make some screenshots in both games to compare the real view. :D

Seriously, people are just looking for something to complain about. So what if they did reuse the basic map and expanded on it? And guess what? They also reused their graphics engine. They also reused the skinning animations (from Far Cry 3 through Far Cry 4 through Primal even!). And I bet they reused a lot of models (animals) as well, and textures, and sounds, and etc. etc. So what? And just look at those maps: it's clear that, while there are similarities, it's been completely redone. Just look at all the elevations (mountain ranges are completely different) or the islands in the river, you can see it's a complete remodel right there. Apart from the general layout, nothing is the same.

I'm all in favor of putting a publisher/dev to shame if they pull something shady, but this is not it.

And statements like "made it a little smaller and then modified it a bit, in hope that we would not notice what is going on" are wild-guessing at the least and clickbait at the most.

I believe the issue most people have with the reused assets is that the game is priced at $60. Primal would have probably worked better if it was priced and designed like Blood Dragon.

I believe the issue most people have with the reused assets is that the game is priced at $60. Primal would have probably worked better if it was priced and designed like Blood Dragon.
Given the pretext of Blood Dragons existence I can understand that. I got it at a discount site for 32 EUR (special edition) so I'm certainly not complaining. But I probably would have gotten it at full price too if that was no option. But these days I hardly buy directly from Steam/Uplay/Origin, I use sites like g2play. Perfectly legal as long as you make sure you don't buy an out-of-region key (a.k.a. Russian if you're not Russian) because that will require activation with a VPN and is reason for a ban (at least on Steam, don't know about Origin/Uplay, but I figure it's the same: circumventing regional pricing is a nogo).

If there was some correlation between the maps, it wouldn't be a problem. But here, they're incredibly similar. The Primal map doesn't really add anything new.

Looks like Ubisoft never catches a break, because it appears that Primal's map looks to be a rehash of Far Cry 4's map:

(first map is FC4; the other Primal)
524558151.jpg

524558166.jpg

Could simply be a coincidence, but with the amount of similarities between the two maps, you can't really be against the possibility now can you?
Same map but without co-op? That is even more disappointing. Not really surprising since FC4 just came out November 2014. The most surprising part is that they charged full price for this. For a similar map and no co-op.
The good news is this game will be half price in the near future.

How many times does it have to be repeated? It's not the same map. Yes, it's similar, yes they probably took the one from FC4 and modified, yet it bears about as much resemblance to it as GT5 does to GT4.

Anyway, here's some shots I took on my laptop. 1920x1080, 'high' settings. I upped the FOV from 75 to 85. Night hunting is amazing, with different animals than during the daytime and glowing eyes staring at you from the darkness. :D

Taming animals and using them as a companion is also great, they all have different abilities, so you can choose depending on the situation (speed, stealth, strength). The owl (basically a prehistoric UAV :lol:) is also great. Fighting with other tribes is also quite epic, the brutality of it all (because no guns) is 'in your face'. Really loving this so far.

25501322045_3f73834715_o.jpg

25501321725_4966183db5_o.jpg

25501321925_1b18a9ccb9_b.jpg

25133796269_387c494ea6_b.jpg

25382853292_c060ce874a_b.jpg

24870780544_587eb20015_o.jpg

I didn't play Blood Dragon but wasn't that a 5-10 hour game on a small map? Reuse of assets or not, Far Cry Primal is a full size Far Cry game. And my personal favourite in the series (playing it with the HUD off, except for health bar and inventory notices - I felt the hugely immersive world deserved something different than a constant glance on a GPS mini map and highlighted enemies).

If there was some correlation between the maps, it wouldn't be a problem. But here, they're incredibly similar. The Primal map doesn't really add anything new.

I would never in a million years have guessed that had used the same map base if I hadn't seen those articles. Primal is one of the most gorgeous and most immersive open worlds I've ever enjoyed in a game, while I found the world in Far Cry 4 so bland that I quit playing primarily for that reason.

I found the world in Far Cry 4 so bland that I quit playing primarily for that reason.
I'm guessing that you didn't get far into it? The landscape really mirrors the state of affairs in Kyrat; it starts out lush and vibrant in the south, but gradually gets barren and far more desolate as you venture north and get closer to Pagan Min.

I'm guessing that you didn't get far into it? The landscape really mirrors the state of affairs in Kyrat; it starts out lush and vibrant in the south, but gradually gets barren and far more desolate as you venture north and get closer to Pagan Min.

I saw maybe a third of the map in Far Cry 4 (did more exploring than missions, as I often do in the early hours of open world games). It's the kind of landscape I would find quite beautiful in real life but I found it very bland in FC4, even the part you describe as "lush and vibrant". Primal's world on the other hand (seen around 3/4 of the map so far - missing mostly the SW and NE corners) I just find incredibly beautiful and immersive, and also surprisingly varied with new areas (even within the same temperature and altitude zones) frequently having me just stand in awe for a minute or two to enjoy the landscape.

Three months after buying the game, I finally get around to starting it :lol:

Really only got as far as collecting the healing leaves but I can tell that'll I'll be enjoying the progress through the primal landscape; it truly is a luscious game. I find it also a shame how so many well developed games seem to fade out of sight in the shortest of times after release.

Problem is that the story mode is really short, so most people get it done in 2-3 weeks then move on. There's so many game released atm.

Problem is that the story mode is really short, so most people get it done in 2-3 weeks then move on. There's so many game released atm.
True, there are more than a few out right now - but even games like Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank (both recent releases) only have comments appearing for a few weeks after their launch. Maybe folks will go back after a while - if not, then like I say, it's a shame.

Last edited:
Back