favorite drummer and best drummerMusic 

• Thread starter Bam
  • 171 comments
Jola.

jola.jpg

Last edited:
Wagnerian cover of Beatles Hold Me Tight features tight, percussive drums of recording legend Hal Blaine.

Hal Blaine: 35,000 recordings, 150 top ten hits, 40 #1 hits, 8 Grammy records of the year.

Below is a medley of some of the enduring hit recordings on which he was drummer.

Not really a "drum" guy, but Alex Bent from the metal band Trivium has been impressive in the past two albums he was involved in. And it doesn't seem like it's all studio magic either, since during live shows he's just as good, if not better, than the recordings.

And yes, my profile pic is one of Trivium's past "mascots", the Oni mask. I'm a fan-boy. :D Or is that a fan-man?

As for the best drummer ever... I haven't heard every piece of music ever recorded, so can't say. If you say the most influential drummer, than sure, I can think of a few, but that's about it.

I don't know about "number one", but this solo is definitely in the pocket. I like the way Steve stops for a couple of beats every now and then so the listener doesn't lose the "one" beat.

Last edited:
A little off topic but today I discovered drum tortillas are a thing.

Ciara Doran, from English goth pop band Pale Waves. She is the queen of polyrhythm/syncopation, with some incredibly interesting hat work. Deceptiely simple pop songs, with some very complex rhythms.

On a J-fusion kick right now. Sorry about the terrible sound.

Last edited:
I've been so busy posting best drummers I forgot to mention one of my favourites, Fela Kuti's musical director Tony Allen.

Back