Favorite quotes

Can't be bothered to bring it up, but I dig the quote by Mark Twain that asks who prays for Satan.
But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?

"Unless it's a stamp or a sitcom, it's probably not cancelled."

Last edited:
“If you stick a knife in my back nine inches and pull it out six inches, there’s no progress. If you pull it all the way out that’s not progress. Progress is healing the wound that the blow made. And they haven’t even pulled the knife out much less heal the wound. They won’t even admit the knife is there.” – Malcolm X

"The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential. This means that the person involved should have legal capacity to give consent; should be so situated as to be able to exercise free power of choice, without the intervention of any element of force, fraud, deceit, duress, overreaching, or other ulterior form of constraint or coercion..." - The Nuremberg Code.

Last edited:
"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue" – Proverbs 17:28 (NIV)

But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most, our one fellow and brother who most needed a friend yet had not a single one, the one sinner among us all who had the highest and clearest right to every Christian's daily and nightly prayers, for the plain and unassailable reason that his was the first and greatest need, he being among sinners the supremest?
Thanks. I'm especially fond of it because I both grew up in and live in the state that Samuel "Mark Twain" Clements called home - CT. Yep, there's a ton to be prideful for in this state. The first patented revolver, for one - and I don't even plan to own guns myself.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1642770974994.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think the people who learn are the people who aren't learning.

“Truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it. Ignorance may deride it. Malice may distort it. But there it is.” — Winston Churchill.

"Love makes fools of us all..."

As someone who's doing some admittedly stupid stuff to get a local model's attention, I feel like this quote really speaks to me.

Last edited:
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost invariably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And if he is not romantic personally, he is apt to spread discontent among those who are." ― HL Mencken.

“The truth is like a lion; you don’t have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself.” – Augustine.

“The cheapest sort of pride is national pride; for if a man is proud of his own nation, it argues that he has no qualities of his own of which he can be proud; otherwise he would not have recourse to those which he shares with so many millions of his fellow men.

"The man who is endowed with important personal qualities will be only too ready to see clearly in what respects his own nation falls short, since their failings will be constantly before his eyes.

"But every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud adopts, as a last resource, pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and glad to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”
― Arthur Schopenhauer

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.” ― Mark Twain

“They tried to get me to hate white people, but someone would always come along & spoil it.” ― Thelonious Monk

"The Fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists." -paraphrase of Huey Long's "When Fascism comes to America, it will (be in the name of/come under the guise of/be called) anti-Fascism!"

"The situation is ****. That's our fertilizer for the future." -Lennart Meri, first president of Estonia.

"The notion that the time of Stalins and Hitlers is over is dangerous." -Lennart Meri.

“The only lives that truly matter are those who respect the lives of others”.

"Finding intelligent life on Earth becomes harder."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back