Favorite quotes

“In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, not to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is to co-operate with evil, and in some small way to become evil oneself. One's standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. I think if you examine political correctness, it has the same effect and is intended to.” — Theodore Dalrymple.

"Take away the right to say '****' and you take away the right to say '**** the government.'"

-- Lenny Bruce

"Fools rush in where wise persons fear to tread."

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous, rather than cowardly. If authority implies submission, liberation implies equality. Authority exists whern one man obeys another, and liberty exists when one man does not obey other men." - Robert Anton Wilson.

"Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

-- Jim Downey, Billy Madison

When privilage is taken away, equality feels like oppression.
When concepts of "privilage" are just imaginary constructs of an ideology that doesn't corespond to reality, then any "equality" of outcomes that are forced upon others in its name is actually opression.

Last edited:
When concepts of "privilage" are just imaginary constructs of an ideology that doesn't corespond to reality, then any "equality" of outcomes that are forced upon others in its name is actually opression.
How to illustrate @Liquid's point while providing a demonstration of Muphry's Law at the same time ("corespond", "opression").

As for an example of actual reality, see here.

Last edited:
"Politics is the attempt to achieve power and prestige without merit."

-- P.J. O'Rourke

How to illustrate @Liquid's point while providing a demonstration of Muphry's Law
Very unbecomming.

"Politics is the attempt to achieve power and prestige without merit."

-- P.J. O'Rourke

Very unbecomming.
He's quoting Clarkson now as if it were the word of God :lol:

Thank goodness O&CE is free of him. There are enough oddballs on that forum.

Last edited:
"Does it take much of a man to see his whole life go down?
To look up on the world from a hole in the ground?
Too late for your future, like a horse that’s gone lame
To lie in the gutter and die with no name

"He was only a hobo, but one more is gone
Leavin' nobody to sing his sad song
Leavin' nobody to carry it on
Only a hobo, but one more is gone"
-- Bob Dylan

Last edited:
"Being unapologetic means never having to say you're sorry."

-- John Cooper Clarke

VBR
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Annonymous.
That’s in somebody’s signature here. Can’t remember who of the top of my head, but it’s a good quote.

What if you buy something on credit/ finance, and then plan to buy another one once you’ve paid off the first purchase?
That’s how I buy motorcycles.

I actually bought a flat and rented it out for additional income so I guess I took his advice.

“Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.” – Bertrand Russell.

"Individual commitment to a group effort -- that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work" – Vince Lombardi

"How do I defeat fear?....The only way to defeat fear is to tell it no. No, we will not take shortcuts on the path to rightousness. No, we will not break the rules that protect us from our basest instincts. No, we will not allow desperation to destroy moral authority." - Michael Burnham.

"We don’t live alone. We are members of one body. We are responsible for each other. And I tell you that the time will soon come when if men will not learn that lesson, then they will be taught it in fire and blood and anguish." – J.B. Priestly, An Inspector Calls

Back