Favorite quotes

"The FCC, the Federal Communications Commission, decided all by itself that radio and television were the only two parts of American life not protected by the free speech provisions of the First Amendment to the Constitution. I'd like to repeat that because it sounds vaguely important! The FCC, an appointed body, not elected, answerable only to the president, decided on its own that radio and television were the only two parts of American life not protected by the First Amendment to the Constitution.

Why did they decide that? Because they got a letter from a minister in Mississippi! A Reverend Donald Wildmon in Mississippi heard something on the radio that he didn't like! Well, Reverend, did anyone ever tell you there are two knobs on the radio? Of course, I'm sure the reverend isn't that comfortable with anything that has two knobs on it, but hey, Reverend, there are two knobs on the radio; one of 'em turns the radio off, and the other one...changes the station!

Imagine that, Reverend, you can actually change the station! It's called freedom of choice, and it's one of the principles this country was founded upon. Look it up in the library, Reverend, if you have any of them left when you finish burning all the books!"

-- George Carlin

"Books are burning in the main square, and I saw there, the fire eating the text.
Books are burning in the still air and you know where they burn books, people are next."

-- Andy Partridge, "Books Are Burning", Nonsvch

[On "Books Are Burning"] "I'm intensely proud of this song. I love books, they're sacred objects, and anyone who destroys them is scum. Usually it's frightened regimes, their way of saying we're in control. But what they stand for doesn't have a hope in hell. To destroy thoughts, dreams, and an attempt to communicate is a crime."

-- Andy Partridge

“No matter how happy you are, you can wake up one day without any specific thing occurring to bring you into a darker place.”

- Chris Cornell

“No matter how happy you are, you can wake up one day without any specific thing occurring to bring you into a darker place.”

- Chris Cornell
So true. This is why one can be one's own worst enemy.

Has the FCC's existence ever been challenged in court?
Its existence itself? Not meaningfully, that I'm aware.

There have been instances that action by the agency has been deemed by higher courts, including the Supreme Court, to have been excessive.

Has the FCC's existence ever been challenged in court?

I had kinda thought the FCC was part of the executive branch, but it turns out based on my google search just now that it's an independent agency because it is only loosely accountable to the executive branch. Basically all administrative law, which is law enacted by non-elected agencies, is unconstitutional based non-delegation. However, the Supreme Court has been very lenient on what is considered delegation and how much delegation is permitted. Today we have administrative law judges. Check out that list of US agencies (within the executive or independent) with ALJs. Whatever the constitution was trying to prevent in terms of delegation of lawmaking and law enforcement power to an appointed (as opposed to elected) judicial system that is accountable entirely within one branch of government, it failed to stop it, because the Supreme Court didn't try hard enough.

The FCC should not exist.

Frasier used to be one of my favourite sitcoms.

I’ll watch repeats whenever possible it’s that good.

"It's not a sin to not know something. It's only a sin to think you do when you clearly don't"

Dr. Don Lincoln

“Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life.”

- George Bernard Shaw

That’s my truth.

I trust two people to keep my secrets... God, and my mirror.

"Convincing somebody that they're oppressed, when in fact they're not, is one of the most pernicious forms of oppression."

“Do not hurry yourself in your spirit to become offended, for the taking of offense is what rests in the bosom of the stupid ones.” - Solomon.

"He's not too clever this guy" - Sergio Perez

"How about that!" - Clint Bowyer

"As wild as it gets" - Mark Skaife

"He's in the fence!"- Mark Skaife

"Dukes Of Hazard stuff" - Mark Skaife

"And Briscoe flies!" - Leigh Diffey

"What's happened? We need to know who's going to come out in front!" - David Croft

"I'm more disappointed than when I saw Shrek 2. That is such a shame" - Martin Brundle

Last edited:
"It has always been easy to hate and destroy. To build and to cherish is much more difficult." - Elizabeth ll.

"Remember; sheep live their lives in fear of the wolf, only to be led to slaughter by their shepherds."

"For, while the particular four-letter word being litigated here is perhaps more distasteful than most others of its genre, it is nevertheless often true that one man's vulgarity is another's lyric."

-- Justice John Marshall Harlan II

Here are some of the quotes that I say on the daily (almost):

"Maybe"

"Good question"

"A few more minutes"

"Not right now obviously, but one day"

"You became the very thing you swore to destroy"

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

"Damned if you do, damned if you don't"

"Well yes, but actually no"

"He won't be able to salvage it from there"

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And, if they are equal, they are not free." - Aleksandr Sozhenitsyn.

Last edited:
Back