Favorite Racing Modification in GT2

• Thread starter Orion
  • 200 comments
Here's one I liked as I'm continuing my Skyline comparo. Saw in referenced on back pages but no picks, so... NISMO R32:

nismor32racemod.jpg

The BP one there looks sort of ungainly. I always liked Honda Accord RMs, especially the black & red & green Castrol one. Same as the 155 one - most of the touring car mods look great in my humble opinion!

Well, Skylines are ungainly by definition. Even brutal. Most cars in the game have drag coefficients of 0.35 down to 0.28. The R32 Skyline has a drag coefficient of 0.40, practically the same as a van or a truck. It's a pig or a brick that just forces its way through the air through brute force and 4WD. And it was awesome. The R33 and R34 Skylines have drag coefficients of about 0.35, somewhat refined but still rather brickish. The modern R35 has something more like 0.28 without heavy spoilers, nothing like the originals.

The R32 Skyline has a drag coefficient of 0.40

Wow, that's shocking. Okay, it does look a bit brickish, implying above average drag, but .40 is shockingly bad. Yet what is amazing is that this 4WD brick just rockets along, implying no drag whatsoever.

Here's one I liked as I'm continuing my Skyline comparo. Saw in referenced on back pages but no picks, so... NISMO R32:

nismor32racemod.jpg

Now THERE is a pretty race mod. Awesome - literally only discovered that mod the other day, when I first saw the Nismo R32 in the used car lot. I'd guess that's a Group A touring car race mod from either racing in Australia or Japan somewhere. The R32 practically killed Group A touring car racing as it was so dominant, it blew away the BMWs and Ford Sierra Cosworths that were around at the time. Hence the downgrade to Super Touring in many catagories.

That drag coefficient is pretty poor...I mean I know cars like the Dodge Charger are hardly strong aerodynamically, but even so they have a fastback shape which I'd guess helps. If the Skyline's coefficient is that poor, what are the stats for something like an Impreza, or Galant? I'd wager that's worse still? Or does the sheer size of that big grill on the front of the R32 have an impact?

Now THERE is a pretty race mod. Awesome - literally only discovered that mod the other day, when I first saw the Nismo R32 in the used car lot. I'd guess that's a Group A touring car race mod from either racing in Australia or Japan somewhere. The R32 practically killed Group A touring car racing as it was so dominant, it blew away the BMWs and Ford Sierra Cosworths that were around at the time. Hence the downgrade to Super Touring in many catagories.

Minor objection: The Skyline wasn't responsible for the demise of Group A in the UK. The Sierra was. The (R31) Skyline only raced occasionally in the UK and was beaten by the Fords everytime. The R32 didn't even make it over here; the Sierra had already become so dominant alongside the BMW 635s, Holden Commadores Toyota Supras and Rover Vitesses that by 1989, the whole class was Sierras, leading to the introduction of Class II Supertouring in 1990.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Gibson Godzilla and it's red livery. And the blue Calasonic livery is just sex on wheels. I can't say I've ever come across it in the game, but that BP livery is very nice too.

MazdaPrice, do you know where or have you some BTCC videos from around that time ? (end of 80's all 90's). im interested in whole race records.

Minor objection: The Skyline wasn't responsible for the demise of Group A in the UK. The Sierra was. The (R31) Skyline only raced occasionally in the UK and was beaten by the Fords everytime. The R32 didn't even make it over here; the Sierra had already become so dominant alongside the BMW 635s, Holden Commadores Toyota Supras and Rover Vitesses that by 1989, the whole class was Sierras, leading to the introduction of Class II Supertouring in 1990.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Gibson Godzilla and it's red livery. And the blue Calasonic livery is just sex on wheels. I can't say I've ever come across it in the game, but that BP livery is very nice too.

You are of course correct - I should've clarified that the R32 killed off the Sierra in other competitions around the world, NOT the UK. Mainly in Australia, where it owned Bathurst for 2 years straight, and I think a further year after that even with weight restrictions etc. In the UK yes the Sierra was dominant, after many years of close battles between the BMWs, Toyotas, Holdens and my beloved Rovers (beloved because my father has one still, an original Vitesse - love that car to death!). Thanks for the correction there :)

That drag coefficient is pretty poor...I mean I know cars like the Dodge Charger are hardly strong aerodynamically, but even so they have a fastback shape which I'd guess helps. If the Skyline's coefficient is that poor, what are the stats for something like an Impreza, or Galant? I'd wager that's worse still? Or does the sheer size of that big grill on the front of the R32 have an impact?

Here's some sites I check for drag coefficients:
carspector.com (hit+miss, many car stats per model)
www.carfolio.com (like carspector but sometimes with different data)
wikipedia of course, though generally less data than the above two on the model pages, but this compilation of drag coefficients is pretty useful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficient
http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Vehicle_Coefficient_of_Drag_List
http://www.mayfco.com/tbls.htm - very useful for many older cars up to the 90's and early 00's.

I found the 2004 STi was 0.33, the 2009 WRX 4-Door was 0.34, the 2010 WRX was 0.36, '90's Imprezas were 0.36, '90's Legacies are 0.33 or 0.34, the '92 SVX was 0.29, and '90's Galants were 0.34, MX-5's are 0.38, AE86 is 0.39, and '96-'99 Corolla/Levins are 0.31, as examples.

So first I get fingures from the literature available, then I work out using a formula and the given dimensions or a car in the game what the theoretical top speed should be at peak hp. Next I test the car in the game, if I'm being serious I'll get the fully custom gearbox and make sure I'm getting a top speed at peak power. Usually the predicted top speed will match the in game tested top speed within a few miles per hour, and this confirms for me that PD mostly used real data in modeling drag. Occasionally they're far off the mark, though, but not with the R32 Skyline. I'll look at the R33 and R34 soon and be able to tell if PD gave them drags of .35 and .36 or the .40 of the R32.

You are of course correct - I should've clarified that the R32 killed off the Sierra in other competitions around the world, NOT the UK. Mainly in Australia, where it owned Bathurst for 2 years straight, and I think a further year after that even with weight restrictions etc. In the UK yes the Sierra was dominant, after many years of close battles between the BMWs, Toyotas, Holdens and my beloved Rovers (beloved because my father has one still, an original Vitesse - love that car to death!). Thanks for the correction there :)

Not a problem, it's always fun discussing/reminiscing touring cars of old.

---

If I can ask, how are people getting these screenshots? Are you not using forbidden techniques? I'd like to put some of my own up, but I'm unable to use the forbidden techniques. Not that I've tried to.

MazdaPrice, do you know where or have you some BTCC videos from around that time ? (end of 80's all 90's). im interested in whole race records.

Oh, and it was terribly rude of me to not answer this question.

A random race from 1987

A superb battle between Win Percy's Skyline and Andy Rouse's Sierra (1988)

Thruxton - A superb race, part 1 of 3 (1989)

Generally, there are plenty of videos of the races from those seasons. Plus these crash logs, which are well worth watching!

Crash log 1987 & 1988

Crash log 1989

Pretty much all of the 1990s are on YouTube but I have given you some videos from the 1980s because they are harder to find.

Loving all of your personal favourites guys. :sly:
I've always loved this feature, it was like having 2 cars in 1! No need to bother in placing the car in the dealership or anything, just adding and [R] before the name of the car and that's it! You could recreate A LOT of famous racing cars with this.

My personal favourite...gosh, kinda hard to remember now, I'll have to go back to GT2 and refresh my memory! :crazy:

Apart from that, you guys keep sharing, it's so nice to relive memories. :dopey:

I really must get GT2:drool:

Do it. Now. It'll cost you under $10 delivered (assuming you have credit/debit card to buy stuff online.)

And yeah, 2-in-1, makes GT2's list expand to like 1000 cars. And as you noted, many of the race mods are historically accurate, so if you're watching old BTCC or Super GT you'll recognize these cars in an instant! Very cool, PD!

My favorite racing mod is the Lancer Evo. 5 's Puma look. BTW if you know what I'm talking about, do you know if that racing mod is from the WRC? I'm curious to know :D

My favorite racing mod is the Lancer Evo. 5 's Puma look. BTW if you know what I'm talking about, do you know if that racing mod is from the WRC? I'm curious to know :D

No idea. If you looking for the WRC car, go to the special showroom of Mitsubishi. 💡

I can see how you got confused, asdly that wasn't what I was talking about. The Evo.5, if modified, looks white with Puma (the sports clothing & shoes brand) designs in the color green. I would show you a pic but I don't know how:dunce:

If it was seen in the WRC, it would've been a privateer car, as the Mitsubishi works team never used any cars that looked like that.

*actually it was rally paint scheme....

named: renault megane kit-car "F2 class" (2.0 liter N/A engine)
*but the actual bodykit have flared front fender and wheel arch while retaining standad rear wheel arch

megane-2.jpg

That Megane was my favourite, I used it to beat the GT40 in the Historic car cup. It had enormous amounts of grip.

Back