FC Online Event Pre-Season Test #2. LOBBIES FULL!

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 95 comments
5) SPA (Combined Lobby 1)
Sarrinen69 2.22.73
RSRacer 2.24.98
GTP_SimcoeAce 2.25.46
danjama 2.27.03
jjaisli 2.26.88
GTP_Hun 2.26.80
Ardius_ 2.40.58

Argh, how did it record my fastest lap? I thought it didn't record it if the player gets disconnected/leaves. Thats annoying, seeing as it kept my laptime where I spun and got hit :yuck:

It's pretty clear that 8 person lobbies are too unstable - it's pretty frustrating to have the races collapse after running many laps.

No, its not a problem with the number of people, I get these disconnect problems with any number of people in the lobby, be it 2 or 7 or whatever. This is just an issue with how they've written their networking code, which is a much more major problem.

Anyway, great racing last night, I think I'll explain my night, race by race:

1st race Hockenheimring - finished 5th
I knew this track quite well from previous games and I had practiced a little bit, so I didn't fare to badly in this race, but because it was the first race I decided to take things carefully and this resulted in me losing a few positions (not to mention I had major lag issues around GTP_fairplay_plz, it was near impossible to overtake or avoid him). I felt pleased with that result though because I knew it was the best I could do without more practice.

2nd race Monza - finished 3rd
Now this was more like it, I knew this track from many, many games and I had of course raced it many, many times in FC because it crops up so much in the challenge modes, etc. Had a great battle with Hun near the end of the race and had a bit of a dodgy moment in the Parabolica, where me and Hereward were coming into it side by side, me on the inside. I kept my line on the inside, slowing down to avoid understeering into him, next thing I see is a spinning Hereward smashing into the inside barrier behind me. I don't know what happened there and I wasn't sure it was my fault. Otherwise though, a great race with a few penalties here and there for silly mistakes.

3rd race Redwood/Montreal/whatever you want to call it - finished 6th
Bad race. Very bad race. Straight into the first corner I missed the braking point completely and that pretty much summed up my race. I hadn't practiced this track at all before hand and though I knew it well from other games, I didn't know my braking points in a F430. Still, it wasn't a complete washout, I did manage to gain some fun in trying to catch Hereward up, which I very nearly did if I hadn't made a mistake or two on the last lap.

4th race Mugello (wet) - finished 3rd
Excellent race, this should have been a 2nd place, but I went and did the stupid thing on the last corner, last lap and decided to look behind me to check on RSRacer as I came up to the braking point. Still, I was a bit more in my element here, I love this track and I love the wet weather conditions, it was great racing holding off RSRacer though I will apologise for any small hits or anything I did like that, naturally it wasn't intentional.

5th race Spa - didn't finish
Ok, well technically this was 2 races, :lol:
The first race started ok until half way through lap 1 when people started getting disconnected. I had a decent start and before I left I had made a couple of mistakes and dropped to 5th (I think). I had a bad moment though when I gained a penalty going over Raidillon, which slowed me to a snail's pace right in front of jjaisli! I think that penalty right there is very dangerous, not very good games design there.
The second race again started ok, I was up to 4th on lap 2 or 3 and I had Sarrinen69 coming up behind me and then overtaking me at Blanchimont. I started to give him room to go past, because he was clearly faster than me and I was going to try and retake the position at the Bus Stop, but unfortunately as I moved over I got a tyre loose on the grass. Well, its not something I recommend :crazy: First, I spun twice into the barriers, then after the second impact I went sliding across sideways onto the track staight into the path of Hun, danjama and jjaisli! Got hit by Hun and spun twice more and was left 14+ seconds behind.
I continued to race for another lap but then I got disconnected and that was that.

Overall, this test has proved to me several things about FC online:
  • No matter how many players there are, there are problems with the network code which randomly cause people to become disconnected.
  • 30 minute races are too long to be worth it because of disconnections. Using our race as an example, if this was a points-race, I would of unfairly got more points than people in Lobby 2 even though I had got disconnected and didn't run the full 30 minutes. This can't be fairly balanced out, because I couldn't not disconnect, it was out of my hands, but its not fair that I should get points for a race I could not complete.
  • Despite disconnections, 5 minute or 10 minute races seem to be a bit better because at least the race is over quicker and it damages the race a little less.
  • The penalty on Raidillon is very dangerous and I think it should be made a rule that anyone who catches this penalty should pull onto the grass immediately to avoid accidents.
  • Lag issues between cars and collisions seems marginally better than F1:CE, so close racing is a bit easier to accomplish without incidents. Its not as good as GT5:P, but its good enough. The only problem comes with the really bad lag, because it is impossible to successfully overtake these cars in corners because they're jumping all over the place, perhaps just as bad as F1:CE. Not a major thing though, we'll just have to overtake on straights!
  • I think the current format of 4 races + final mixed lobbies race works well but the 30 minute race time and the amount of time it takes to get them organised means the last race ends up being way too late for some of us. Perhaps it would be better and easier to make the final race 10 minutes like the rest?
  • Overall, I don't think FC is up to having points races and full blown championships, its just not reliable enough, we had disconnections in every race.

First: I would like to encourage everyone who hasn't already done so, to sign up for the FC Ladder. The advantages of the Ladder are that it demands very little organisation 👍, provides flexible "playtimes" :dopey:, & should lead to some exciting, close racing within an overall competitive framework. It might also serve to provide a basis for future "larger grid" events.

Ardius I tend to disagree with you: having raced FC online quite a lot, I have rarely (never?) been disconnected in grids with less than 5 or 6 racers. So I suspect the size off the grid is the major factor.

I have run many very close one-on-one races & although the lag or frame rate stutter (which seems to vary a lot from race-to-race, or even within races) is very distracting, mostly, it doesn't effect the outcome - usually you can pass cleanly when the opportunity arises.

30 minute races do seem excessive. I did have one excellent 30 minute race a few weeks ago with my German buddies: krufti, higgiracer & SEGEL, in which the race was very close the whole way (well SEGEL, of course, finished about 12 secs ahead of the rest of the field). But, in general, 10 minutes is long enough to fairly decide the outcome IMO. Anything more just tends to hammer home the obvious (see Sarrinen/Spa)! :ouch:

Ardius I tend to disagree with you: having raced FC online quite a lot, I have rarely (never?) been disconnected in grids with less than 5 or 6 racers. So I suspect the size off the grid is the major factor.

Then you must be very lucky, as I have this problem every time I play online with FC, and its not my end of the connection because I am fine with hosting and racing 8+ player grids in both GT5:P and F1:CE.
I can't really say that the problem increases with more players either, because most of the times I've been disconnected, its been 3 or 4 player races and not 7 or 8.

My problem with 30 minute races isn't how long they are, I'm fine with 2 hour races if we could! Its just the fact that disconnects are all the more frustrating with such longer races.

I dont think lobby 2 had disconnects in every race, im sure we were doing ok until race 3....and then 2 or 3 people were kicked for no reason. I would say that the issue is not as bad as some people are making out but maybe i just havent experienced it as much as others. Either way i have decided to head to the eutechnyx forum and offer them some encouragement i think this is a good idea. Try not to be too negative though as they may just give up altogether, especially with the added stress of the DLC fiasco. Be nice. These guys obviously care about their game.

With regards to the penalty at radillion (eau rouge) i agree it can be very dangerous especially if its close running, but if you have time it is probably better to pull on the right hand side of the straight well clear of fast traffic and stay on the tarmac. Also, a shorter final race would be more ideal, although i would love to keep the longer race if and when the networking issues are corrected, purely because the race is more challenging. Also that Sarrinen guy was absolutely awesome, just so fast. Kudos to him he is obviously doing something right.

I'm wondering if it is worth trying a few online setups, just stuff to cut the bandwith down to a minimum? no custom car liveries and unhook your coms? plus has anyone noticed certain cars or tracks that cause problems? and finaly matching players to hosts ie matching people to lobbys via distance from each other to cut ping times down?

Last edited:
Ardius,

It's quite interesting (and amusing) to read through these comments post race and put the story together. I didn't realize it was you I hit at the top of Radillon. I was on full throttle the entire way from La Source, came barreling through there and suddenly there was a car in front of me. :eek: I nailed the brakes as soon as I saw you but I had less than a second to react. And coming through Au Rouge/Radillon at full speed, the car isn't particularly stable to begin with. I actually wasn't sure what to do after I hit you. I felt badly but you were still on the track and were still in front of me. I was waiting for you to take off but it looked like you were moving to side the letting me pass so I started to go. And then I wondered if you were just oversteering onto the grass and hesitated again. ARGH! I also spent a minute fiddling with my view because my windshield cracked and I couldn't see properly so I switched to hood cam. But you're right, a penalty in that spot of the track is deadly because cars coming through there are completely blind. The same thing happened to me at Monza when somebody had a penalty going through the second chicane. There I managed to avoid the car but ended up spinning about 900*, on and off the track, as a result. :crazy: I'm not even sure who it was.

And the second incident coming through Blanchimont was amusing. I managed to dive underneath you (at about 250 kmh) and as a result went into a massive slide. I was correcting and overcorrecting and I don't think I managed to get it back under full control until the braking zone. I was so bloody pleased with myself. :sly: I wasn't sure if the cars behind me managed to avoid you because I was too busy fighting the wheel. :lol: Sorry to hear you spent your whole (brief) race getting clobbered left and right!

It's easy for me to say the event was a success as I never got kicked out of any of the lobbies. From my perspective I really enjoyed the extended race at Spa. The longest I ever ran was 10 minutes and 30 minutes adds a whole new dimension to the racing. I loved it. There was a lot of back and forth between Hun, danjama and myself, fighting for position, gaining ground, losing ground, that just doesn't pan out in a 5 or 10 minute race. But you're right, if people continue to get kicked out it's not much use. It must be especially frustrating for Biggles to get thrown out on the last bloody lap after half an hour. Sadly, it doesn't look like there will be a solution to this problem any time soon. In our race at Mugello, I think one player was kicked out within 2 laps so it could potentially happen any time.

The lag is something else which seems to come and go. At times it was minimal and I had some very close, side by side racing with little suttering. And at other times (like I mentioned in an earlier Post at the 2nd chicane at Monza) cars were just popping and disappearing and reappearing all over the place. At one point it looked like I was actually inside another car. It was insane, for 3-4 seconds, I could tell who was where or what was happening. I know I made contact but I can't tell if somebody hit me or I hit somebody else.

At Monza I clipped someone when they got the penalty at the deadly second chicane & suddenly slowed just in front of me (I though it was you jjaisli). I ended up spinning & hitting the barrier. Whoever it was, kindly waited for me at the next corner.

30 minutes races are great for really learning the braking points well. They can also be great if you are close to other racers. Unfortunately, at Spa I was just out of sight of RS (who did bravely battle Sarrinen for a couple of laps) the whole race, & well in front of everyone else.

So I kind of felt...

lonely. :(

At Monza I clipped someone when they got the penalty at the deadly second chicane & suddenly slowed just in front of me (I though it was you jjaisli). I ended up spinning & hitting the barrier. Whoever it was, kindly waited for me at the next corner.

30 minutes races are great for really learning the braking points well. They can also be great if you are close to other racers. Unfortunately, at Spa I was just out of sight of RS (who did bravely battle Sarrinen for a couple of laps) the whole race, & well in front of everyone else.

So I kind of felt...

Ironically, I did get a penalty once through there but I think you were far ahead of me on the track after the first lap so it wasn't me. After the massive confusion on lap one at the second chicane, I dropped back to last place.

At one point danjama went off in the Paribolica 4-5 seconds in front of me. As I was coming around I saw him re-enter the track and was trying to avoid him and unfortunately I smushed somebody up against the wall (Sealthwinner?) who was having a run at me. Back on the straight I tried to give the position back but I'm not sure at that point if it was the same person.

If you were lonely you should have just slowed it down a bit--you'd of had plenty of company. :) But then again, Ardius got in our way twice and look what happened to him. :lol:

. :(

I think that was me. I was having problems with the chicanes. At the beginning I wasn't making them but not getting penalties. I got that one penalty. At the end I started to make the chicanes but not very fast.

Ardius,

It's quite interesting (and amusing) to read through these comments post race and put the story together. I didn't realize it was you I hit at the top of Radillon. I was on full throttle the entire way from La Source, came barreling through there and suddenly there was a car in front of me. :eek: I nailed the brakes as soon as I saw you but I had less than a second to react. And coming through Au Rouge/Radillon at full speed, the car isn't particularly stable to begin with. I actually wasn't sure what to do after I hit you. I felt badly but you were still on the track and were still in front of me. I was waiting for you to take off but it looked like you were moving to side the letting me pass so I started to go. And then I wondered if you were just oversteering onto the grass and hesitated again. ARGH! I also spent a minute fiddling with my view because my windshield cracked and I couldn't see properly so I switched to hood cam. But you're right, a penalty in that spot of the track is deadly because cars coming through there are completely blind. The same thing happened to me at Monza when somebody had a penalty going through the second chicane. There I managed to avoid the car but ended up spinning about 900*, on and off the track, as a result. :crazy: I'm not even sure who it was.

And the second incident coming through Blanchimont was amusing. I managed to dive underneath you (at about 250 kmh) and as a result went into a massive slide. I was correcting and overcorrecting and I don't think I managed to get it back under full control until the braking zone. I was so bloody pleased with myself. :sly: I wasn't sure if the cars behind me managed to avoid you because I was too busy fighting the wheel. :lol: Sorry to hear you spent your whole (brief) race getting clobbered left and right!

Yeah, I was letting you have the place because if I hadn't been in the way with that penalty, you would have been miles ahead, in other words, my penalty unfairly penalised you.

Yeah, I noticed you just made it past at Blanchimont and when I saw that I kind of hoped the people behind you would follow suit, so I decided it was best (in that split second) to keep the car still rather than move into someone's path. But it was useless, the problem with these sections is that its very difficult to react fast enough to avoid the full length of a F430 on the centre of a relatively small track when you're driving in 6th gear.

My two mistakes at Spa were massively costly not only to me but to everyone else, such a nuts track, suppose thats I love it, :lol:

Ok, here's my review on what we did last night:

1. Setting up

Since I learned a few lessons in our first test, yesterday I took particular care about all those "litle things" that can make a lot of difference when the races have started. I grabbed a notebook and a pen and took note of every PSN ID I had to invite, made a chart with players names, track names, all in a way that wouldn't make me (and all players in the lobby) lose much time to take my "between races" notes and point calculations.

Then, I also set up my laptop close to me (close enough to make me able to talk to marchbrown, and to hear him, using the in-built mic and speaker, because my headset was plugged to the PS3), connected to Skype and had just a few briefing moments with my dear co-host.

I had all the event players on my friends list, so I felt pretty confident that - unless my lobby proved once again to be unstable - this was going to be a smooth ride at least for the 1st four races. So I opened the lobby, invited all players and, because energiya and holy sword were offline, I was able to invite those that applied a litle too late (Hereward and fairplayplz). Anyway, Hereward was also offline, so Fairplayplz took one of the slots available and we had 7 players in lobby for the first race. A few welcoming words were due and then ... "Ready ... synching"

2. The first four races in LOBBY 1

Again, from a "host point of view", it all went well. I may be mistaken, but I think all four races were run pretty smoothly, the lobby never collapsed and only theewar kept disconnecting. But I think he maybe had a problem with his connection, because he also disconnected from the PSN (he didn't even enter the last 2 races).

As for me, my best race was the first one, in Hockenheim. I managed to get the 1st corner right and that got me to first place, with RSRacer close second. I managed to keep it that way for almost the full race, but then the inevitable happened: Sarrinen passed RSRacer and started to grow on my rear view mirror. I managed to keep him behind also for two entire laps (that's was my major achievement last night really) but in the last corners of the last lap ... he overtook me. So, I finished second, and proud of it!

At Monza Hereward showed up, taking holy sword's slot (he was still offline), so we started 8 for this one. I made a mess of myself in the first lap and only with some consistence after that I managed to recover to 4th place, right behind Ardius, RSRacer at some distance and the ever dominant Sarrinen with more than half a lap away :crazy:

Montreal was fine (7 players again, because theewar lost connection both to the lobby and PSN) but while battling with fairplay for second position he crashed into the "wall of champions" and I crashed into him, we both got a penalty and RSRacer flew past . Sarrinen in the lead, of course, but do I really need to say it? In the end I got third, sorry fairplay for all the paint-trading we had in this one ...

For Mugello we got an 8th player in the lobby again, because holy sword finnaly showed up, taking theewar's slot. I'd rather forget this race, in lap 1 I made a stupid mistake and in lap 2, while trying to recover, I crashed into holy sword's car (coming back to the track when I was passing, I couldn't avoid hitting his car and crashing myself into the barriers). So, I had to settle for fifth place. holy swaord and fairplay didn't finish this race, I don't know if it because they got disconnected or just retired.

These were the race results:

HOCKENHEIM
1st - Sarrinen69 - 10 points
2nd - GTP_Hun - 8 points
3rd - RSRacer - 6 points
4th - GTP_Fairplayplz - 5 points
5th - Ardius_ - 4 points
6th - GTExD_pino-r - 3 points
7th - GTP_theewar - 2 points

MONZA
2nd - RSRacer - 8 points
3rd - Ardius_ - 6 points
4th - GTP_Hun - 5 points
5th - Hereward - 4 points
7th - GTP_Fairplayplz - 2 points
8th - GTP_theewar - 1 point

MONTREAL
2nd - RSRacer - 8 points
3rd - GTP_Hun - 6 points
4th - GTP_Fairplayplz - 5 points
5th - Hereward - 4 points
6th - Ardius_ - 3 points
7th - GTExD_pino-r - 2 points

MUGELLO (WET)
2nd - RSRacer - 8 points
3rd - Ardius_ - 6 points
4th - Hereward - 5 points
5th - GTP_Hun - 4 points
7th - GTP_Fairplayplz - 2 points
8th - holy sword - 1 point

Final Classification of Lobby 1

1st - Sarrinen69 - 40 points
2nd - RSRacer - 30 points
3rd - GTP_Hun - 23 points
4th - Ardius_ - 19 points
5th - GTP_Fairplayplz - 14 points
6th - Hereward - 13 points
7th - GTExD_pino-r - 11 points
8th - GTP_theewar - 3 points
9th - holy sword - 1 point

About this lobby and how good it went, there's one question I'd like to ask to all players in it. This time, could you hear me clearly speaking in-lobby? Or just "mumbling", as Biggles wrote after our 1st test session?

3. Changing lobbies

This was a crucial moment and we had the worst case scenario, meaning:
a) both original hosts were destined to end up in the same final lobby;
b) I had no host available for the second lobby with an available "back channel" of communication, considering that both GTP_theewar and GTP_Fairplayplz (both on my Skype session) had very unstable connections.

And this was when our lack of experience showed up. First, when marchbrown kindly offered to host the final race, and I gladly accepted it without even asking if him, like me, had all lobby players in his PSN friends list (I had). Because he hadn't, we lost some precious time. Second, because I also gladly and promptly accepted Hereward's kind offer to host lobby 2, and he also didn't have all other players in his friends list, which made it all very confusing. In the end, this lobby 2 couldn't even form up and that was a pity. I'll get back to this in my final comments.

4. The final race(s)

Well, eventually we all got into the "new" marchbrown's lobby, and our Spa race started. I was still swiching from the XMB (sending a PM message to Hereward) to the game screen when the race started so I immediately fell behind all others. Anyway, it was a 30 minutes race so I thought "no worries, let's see if I can catch up with anyone".

Well ... I think it was in lap 1, suddenly I read that marchbrown had retired and left the lobby. And soon after, I was alone in the track! So, that was the first experience (last night) of a ... LOBBY COLLAPSE!

Because i really had a really smooth going lobby for the previous races, me and marchbrown agreed that I should open a new lobby and so I did. In such a hurry that I even forgot to make it private (or indeed set the assists to off, but since that was the way we were playing, our cars had that settings chosen already by default). Something I only found out when I realised that - out of the blue - we had Energiya in the lobby. After I explained him the situation he left and we were lucky enough to get our 8 players in (the only alternative I had was to close that lobby and open a third one. Gladly, I didn't need to do it).
So, we started that race. Again, my race start was messy (can't even remember why, I guess my mind wasn't there again, like it had happened so often in the first test session).

And then I had the most amazing SHUNT of all my online racing career. In a zone where we're supposed to go flat out, I was right behind danjama and jjaisli, I see them braking and swerving and suddenly ... I just have a split second to see Ardius car almost stopped, sideways, blocking the track in front of me. After that split second ... WHAM!!!!!! :crazy:

After that, I managed to get to danjama and jjaisli, passed them into 4th place, but Biggles and RSRacer were already too far ahead (do I need to mention Sarrinen was in the lead? ) and I realized Marchbrown had again retired. A litle after Ardius retired also and so for about 15 minutes I had a very lonely race, about 5 seconds in front of the battling duo behind me and about 12 seconds behind Biggles (slowly broadening the gap). Then, in the penultimate lap (IIRC) I made (yet another) mistake in the Radillon/Eau Rouge sequence, letting me spinning in the grass, danjama and jjaisli passed and so I finished the race in the last (sixth) position.

Final Results for "final lobby 1" (and only, unfortunately)

1st - Sarrinen69
2nd - RSRacer
3rd - GTP_SimcoeAce
4th - danjama
5th - jjaisli
6th GTP_Hun
7th Ardius_ (DNF)
8th - GTP_Marchbrown (DNF)

Congratulations to all, specially mentioning the first three (Ecclestone's way :D ). Sarrinen showed his "out-of-this-world" class, RSRacer has also clearly shown that, among "just-human" players like myself, he's really very fast and very consistent, and Biggles has again showed his class, with a well deserved 3rd overall.

5. Final thoughts

You all know where this experiences have taken us ... unfortunately. I fully agree with Ardius. This game has too many issues to allow us to have a "full blown championship". I'll still think it over with the help and input of you all, but anyway I now - with great regret - declare the "2009 Online Event" (the one I've trying to set up and organize since last November) suspended until further notice.

The only reason why I don't simply call it off and pronouce a "cancelling" verdict is because I still know it would be fun to race an "all cars, all tracks" long event, I know you would like it to happen and I know I would like to race it, no matter if battling for last or whatever my own skill allows me to.

But, without help from the guys that could provide it (eutechnyx) ... I really feel, as a devoted FC player ... abbandoned.

I'll contact ferraripro about all this, I know he doesn't make promises about patches but I still think there's no harm in trying. At least he could help saying something like what can we do to run stable lobbies (separate NTSC from PAL? set lobby size to 6 players? quit using the headsets?)

Again ... THANK YOU ALL! 👍 👍 👍

About this lobby and how good it went, there's one question I'd like to ask to all players in it. This time, could you hear me clearly speaking in-lobby? Or just "mumbling", as Biggles wrote after our 1st test session?

I could hear you fine with the headset on, unfortunately, I don't think those without headsets would find it easy to hear you, the ingame music running alongside makes it very garbled to hear mic-talk.

I fully agree with your decision to not go ahead with this, and I'll try and see what I can find out about this problem if I get an interview for my job placement (within reason, I am going to try and get a job here, I'm not going to say anything to pressing, but I'll certainly try and get into a discussion about it if I can).

Nice job Hun. 👍

On the mic front, it was very different from last time. I could hear you, jjaisli & I believe some others VERY clearly.

I agree that a ongoing championship just isn't do-able at this point. But please, let's not lose the momentum we've established - let's get the Ladder going & see if we can re-introduce some big grid events at some time in the future.

As more people spend more time with this game, I think the lap times are going to get closer & the racing will continue to get better & tighter. I feel bad for Sarrinen: he's just too fast to get a decent race, but I have never yet encountered him in anything but a F430 - perhaps there are possibilties with some of the other cars?

See you all out there...

Yeah I can see your points Hun, I was really trying everything to run a 5 player 30 min race at spa but just couldn't, be it my 10meg conection or little jobies 20 meg conection it just wasn't going to work!
As for in the races I had a good time, had a few good scraps but on a few of the tracks I took discresion as the best part of valour and pulled over to let guys in the full seires go through rather than holding them up LOL.
Lets hope Supercars fixes the lobby problems then we can get this going again, till then the Ladder comp along with some race nights with you guys will have to do.

Can i just say one thing? I understand the dissapointment of collapsing lobbies and many other small niggly problems, but if we all enjoy racing online against each other (i know i do) and we all enjoy the game in general, then i think we should go ahead and attempt any league or competition we like, whether it be 10 races of 5 mins or 30 races of 30 mins. The reason being that we can simply cancel any race where the loby has collapsed and restart and try again. It may get annoying but we're all doing it because we enjoy the racing, so will it really hurt to do the odd restart?!

I dont know maybe it's my logic, but i think we should just be more laid back about this. if something goes wrong, we move on from it. There's really no other option until eutechnyx decide to help us out. I would really support anyone who decided to run it, and may even host the whole damn thing myself if nobody is willing after last night, which i might add was in no way bad at all!! I was very pleased with the results.

Can i just say one thing? I understand the dissapointment of collapsing lobbies and many other small niggly problems, but if we all enjoy racing online against each other (i know i do) and we all enjoy the game in general, then i think we should go ahead and attempt any league or competition we like, whether it be 10 races of 5 mins or 30 races of 30 mins. The reason being that we can simply cancel any race where the loby has collapsed and restart and try again. It may get annoying but we're all doing it because we enjoy the racing, so will it really hurt to do the odd restart?!

I dont know maybe it's my logic, but i think we should just be more laid back about this. if something goes wrong, we move on from it. There's really no other option until eutechnyx decide to help us out. I would really support anyone who decided to run it, and may even host the whole damn thing myself if nobody is willing after last night, which i might add was in no way bad at all!! I was very pleased with the results.

I agree that you guys shouldn't give up meeting up online with this game and racing, its just we can't organise any (slightly more)serious competitions with these bugs in the game.
For me, I'm happy to race again on FC, but I don't think I'll be doing it too often because the disconnects do get very annoying after a while, especially because you can't late join the races. I think its best to stick to Biggles' ladder idea really and also maybe organise some shorter race meetings.

4th race Mugello (wet) - finished 3rd
Excellent race, this should have been a 2nd place, but I went and did the stupid thing on the last corner, last lap and decided to look behind me to check on RSRacer as I came up to the braking point. Still, I was a bit more in my element here, I love this track and I love the wet weather conditions, it was great racing holding off RSRacer though I will apologise for any small hits or anything I did like that, naturally it wasn't intentional.

No apology required, just a good couple of racing laps towards the end.

Hun, it amazes me how you write such a good description of each race. I have to write down the results just to remember what position i finished in each race!
With regard to hearing you clearly, it was fairly clear to hear you but as pointed out previously can be difficult at times to hear over the music.
Personally i didnt have any connection issues, a little lag, cars jumping around etc.. but just the usual stuff that we've come to expect from FC.

With regard to an ongoing competition not being possible at the moment why not just run a more casual "one off" event say every 2 to 3 weeks the same as the 2 "test" events?
Everyone seems to have enjoyed them and im sure they will get easier for yourself as each one goes by.

So I kind of felt...

I did keep Sarrinen behind me for a couple of laps but once he got past he must of been pullin away at 3-4 seconds per lap. I dont know how he does it!
That constant 6-8 seconds between me and you would of made for some great racing if it was more like 0.5-1 sec over a race of that length.

...regard to an ongoing competition not being possible at the moment why not just run a more casual "one off" event say every 2 to 3 weeks the same as the 2 "test" events?
Everyone seems to have enjoyed them and im sure they will get easier for yourself as each one goes by.

I think this is a great suggestion simply because everybody seemed to have such a good time. Personally, I'm in it purely for the pleasure of racing and while I enjoy seeing and comparing the results, the points themselves and the thought of a championship don't really matter so much to me. I already know I wouldn't be able to make it for the first planned event on the 24th which was kind of bumming me out. So this way people can come and race with each event being a one-off. The ladder event can still take place separately.

I personally like the fact that there were more than 3-4 people racing. It still ended up being a little boring for some who were a little quicker or a little slower than others. But a 'packed' lobby and the overall organization added something to this event and made it seem much more epic than casually flipping on the PS3 and seeing who was on-line for a quick go.

I realize of course, getting kicked out of the game is annoying and frustrating, both for the players and for the host. If one player gets kicked out it's a shame. But then if 2 or 3 get kicked out the host has to make a decision at some point to stop the race, create a new lobby, resend the invitations and risk interrupting what may be a great race between 3-4 people left in the lobby. And it's not always clear cut when this is happening. So I can understand everybody's reluctance. But at least with 8 players it was much more workable than it was with 14+. And I would love to do this again.

And Mario, you and Hereward may be on to something with the headsets. Twice I forgot to disable my headset during the race. But the last time when you mentioned it, I took it off. Once or twice, I wish I had it, to communicate intentions. But in a real racing environment you don't have any such luxury anyway. We did manage to run a (relatively) stable lobby for 30 minutes. I wonder if the extra bandwidth required to run the headsets have something to do with the problem. Hopefully you get some answers from Eutechnyx.

So I agree it doesn't make sense to run a championship but let's not let the events themselves go.

I did keep Sarrinen behind me for a couple of laps but once he got past he must of been pullin away at 3-4 seconds per lap. I dont know how he does it!
That constant 6-8 seconds between me and you would of made for some great racing if it was more like 0.5-1 sec over a race of that length.

I don't think I ever saw your car at the beginning (I don't think you overtook me?) but after a couple of laps tailing you I knew it had to be you.

I think Sarrinen was about 2 - 3 secs a lap faster - his lap record is in the 2.22.xxx, my fastest is 2.25.xxx - that adds up over a 30 minute race. The scary thing is SEGEL has a lap record a full second faster than Sarrinen!

I don't think I ever saw your car at the beginning (I don't think you overtook me?) but after a couple of laps tailing you I knew it had to be you.

No i started 1st so it was easy to finish 2nd from there. lol

I think Sarrinen was about 2 - 3 secs a lap faster - his lap record is in the 2.22.xxx, my fastest is 2.25.xxx - that adds up over a 30 minute race. The scary thing is SEGEL has a lap record a full second faster than Sarrinen!

Every time I think about it, I just want to laugh. Some of you faster guys can easily pull a second a lap on me (all things being equal). It was interesting to see this with Hun and danjama at Spa, running so many laps together. At certain sections I was faster at certain sections they were faster. And you start experimenting with different lines and braking points to try and gain the time back where you're slower. And of course one small mistake and it's all for nothing. But Sarrinen, geeze, the guy just pulls away EVERYWHERE. He's very clean and patient and chooses his passing points very carefully. But once he's by, see you later. In your mind you almost don't want to accept it. When you see these super slick times on the leaderboard your immediate reaction is, "Ahh, they must have found a shortcut or cheated somehow." But then you race one of them and it's like...WHOA.

Two things stick out:
- I was in a lobby with him once at Monza. I thought I was really nailing the 2nd chicane. He had a run on me through the Curva Grande, passed me right into the braking area and literally FLEW through the chicane, at least 20 kmh faster than I had been going. I said 🤬 if this guy can do it I can do it. I spent the rest of that race getting penalties every time I went through. After that I hit time trial and spent an hour playing Monza just trying to hit that Chicane over and over again. There were maybe 3 times out of 25 when I 'nailed' it but I'm guessing still nowhere close to his speed.
- Once in a wet race at Silverstone he got by me right after Becketts. I figured I would try and follow his lines. It was impossible. By the time we got to Bridge he had totally checked out. I think he was 6+ seconds ahead (in just a little over 1/2 a lap) and at Bridge I made a small mistake and it was all over. Well, actually it was all over when he got by me. :lol:

Just really impressive.

hi to everybody :)
compliments for beautiful evening thanks Mario for this ,unfortunately I have found my limits:ouch:
I am too much slow and I do too many errors :indiff:
unfortunately I don't succeed in using the dfp with FC for one problem of mine (too FF "strong"...:ouch: )

I/you/they have not succeeded then unfortunately in entering the final lobby too problems to connect me,
in the competitions I have also had too many problems of lag and the game it was not fluid,this and' frustrating....

I have recorded the competitions,but seen my performances there and' few to be seen.....:sly:
I have edited on the best parts:
video race 1 & 2
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwf_MTNWoSU

see you later for the 2° video... hi

edit:
I apologize... I have now seen the writing in the video... small error... sorry

I have recorded the competitions,but seen my performances there and' few to be seen.....:sly:
I have edited on the best parts:
video race 1 & 2
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwf_MTNWoSU

see you later for the 2° video... hi

edit:
I apologize... I have now seen the writing in the video... small error... sorry

👍 This is very cool! Thanks very much for putting it all together. It's really a shame that the replays do not work during on-line races. But it's nice to have a little visual history of the race. And it's also a good example of the stuttering and latency of the other cars and why it's sometimes tough to drive cleanly.

Thanks pino-r! And yes, you can clearly see in that incident at Monza that it was all about lag.

I'll be waiting for the video of races 3 and 4! 👍

The "time difference" clock in FC is a great feature - it really adds interest to the racing, particularly if you are quite a long way in front, or behind, in a race. It helps you figure out what the fastest line is on any track (especially as there are no ghost cars). They should add this feature to GT5.

Am I the only one who doesn't use the driver tags when racing online? I find it completely destroys the "realism" of the experience, because the tags are so BIG - not at all like the clever way it works in GT5P.

Perhaps we could use this thread top co-ordinate future race meets. I would really like to race the 250 LM, if anyone else is interested (I would also like to use the beautiful GTO, but it's the only car I haven't unlocked - anyone remember how you did it?). You'll want to have a few practice laps to learn how to drive this beast. Brake early, REAL EARLY! And make sure you stabilise the car BEFORE you enter the corner. Enthusia veterans should get the hang of it quickly enough! 👍

Another nice video! 👍

pino-r, this one clearly shows that Mugello is the track you know best, I guess you just need to practise the others a bit more! :)

PS - Ardius, that was a brave overtaking at Mugello :D

Back