Feel of driving in GT5(P) vs. Previous GTs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Leadfoot53
  • 99 comments
  • 9,929 views
Messages
681
United States
California
One thing that made GT5P stand out for me was that there was a distinctly different feel than the GTs before it. GTPSP even had a different feel, possibly because it was based on a modded GT5P engine. One thing I have noticed in the new gameplay videos is that it has a distinctly different feel from GT5P AND the previous GTs. Be aware that I have NOT played the R246 demos so I have not driven it and felt it. I am just going on a hunch...

Also I was thinking about the inclusion of NASCAR and WRC. I think that will change the experience of racing drastically. What do you guys think of it? Do you think it will make the experience better or worse for Gran Turismo? Can anyone who has played the R246 demo disprove or back up my hunch?
 
The TGS demo supposly have better physics over Prologue , most gaming websites stated so when they play the demo.. On every interview, KAZ mentions that there will be a new PHYSICS as well.. So I expect more simulation physics, i am happy about it. Not to mention new damage physics with real time deformation and internal damage plus rollover.. what else do we want with physics?
 
A car that somersaults into space, while dispensing chocolate ice cream from the exhaust. Too much to ask?

The real ice cream dispensing space car somersaulting simulator.
 
A car that somersaults into space, while dispensing chocolate ice cream from the exhaust. Too much to ask?

That IS too much to ask... A few things I would ask for is:
1. Better Clutch (In Prologue, you had to have clutch in all the way pretty much)
2. Damage to gearbox if you do not have clutch in while shifting (without auto clutch)
3. Realistic understeer and oversteer
 
...
3. Realistic understeer and oversteer

I think understeer is perfectly fine in GT5 Prologue, oversteer is fine with me, but i can understand, that some people might want to see the cars drifting a bit easier.

GT5 Prologue is a big big step foreward for the whole series. GT4 was really good, maybe eve nthe best game on any console of the last generation, but it was lacking in some areas. The physics in general where good, but oversteer was one of its weaknesses, the understeer on the other hand was spot on with FF cars, but was a bit overdone with FR and especially with MR cars.
 
I really like professional physics of understeer and oversteer in GT5p, it's almost perfectly done.
 
Much better than GT4 but still no feel of traction or grip whatsoever.
 
Frankly, I feel all kinds of traction and grip in Prologue. It has the distinct flavor of a PC sim to me.

I have been watching the GT5 videos pretty closely, and they do seem to be markedly different from even Prologue. Considering that Kazunori-dono says the team is taking GT5 even further than that gives me a lot of giddies for a very satisfying experience, maybe more challenging, but yay on that too.
 
Frankly, I feel all kinds of traction and grip in Prologue.

I don't know, I have all information about grip and limits in even Race Pro, which is very easy to drive.

In Prologue there is no traction response, no any sign of grip getting thinner. The car just pops up and starts to slide, all of a sudden.

To be honest I have some very big doubts the game really calculate something about tires and grip, doesn't feel anything like this.
 
It's just the tire model (sidewall deformation and the like) that's missing from GT5P. In terms of the physics forces acting on the actual chassis of the car, they've got it down almost pat.
 
In Prologue there is no traction response, no any sign of grip getting thinner. The car just pops up and starts to slide, all of a sudden.

I don't get this at all, I can 'feel'/sense it just fine.
 
Jay
I don't get this at all, I can 'feel'/sense it just fine.

Well, it's very clear for me. Also in my opinion this is the main reason why racing lines are not big deal in Prologue.

Though Prologue is just half way between GT4 and GT5, if the jump between Prologue and GT5 would be the same as between GT4 and Prologue things will be very different in March 2010.
 
Also in my opinion this is the main reason why racing lines are not big deal in Prologue.

Racing lines are not a big deal?
 
Jay
Racing lines are not a big deal?

No. With most of simulators you can almost double your speed with ideal racing line.

In Prologue the difference is much smaller. Probably because sliding cars don't loose too much speed, they continue moving forward and moving sidewards at the same time. All that you need to do is staying somewhere inside the turn.

You can gain something by opening the exit, but it still far from what the difference it makes in other sims
 
Without using proper driving lines or sliding you will get no where near the top of rankings or pass for gold in licenses. Makes a huge difference and is a very big deal, the a big part of the whole point of the licenses in GT games (which will return again in GT5) is to get people to learn driving lines.

Also moving forward and sliding is how drifting works. No it's not the fastest way in real life of in GT5 by a long shot (except odd cases like siuations in rally).
 
Jay
Without using proper driving lines or sliding you will get no where near the top of rankings or pass for gold in licenses.

Maybe.

I just don't understand how you are going to prevent sliding if there is no any feel of grip or limits? Memorize the speed for each turn?

And how you are going to make perfect racing lines if all cars want to go round instead diving inside?

Prologue is very different from all other games. All this LFS/Forza/rFactor/GTL feels like very close relatives, GT5P is completely different and stands alone. Skills from all other sims don't work here
 
Maybe.

I just don't understand how you are going to prevent sliding if there is no any feel of grip or limits? Memorize the speed for each turn?

And how you are going to make perfect racing lines if all cars wants to go round instead diving inside?

Prologue is very different from all other games. All this LFS/Forza/rFactor/GTL feels like very close relatives, GT5P is completely different and stands alone. Skills from all other sims don't work here

I completely disagree, as I said I don't have the problem of 'feeling' grip and limits, I don't understand what you mean by "all cars wants to go round instead diving inside?".

Infact I find GT5P feels quite similar to iracing and other sims. As I have posted in the iracing thread and others have agreed. GT5P requires good throttle control, many have issues with mashing throttles and wondering why it is oversteering.
 
Jay
I completely disagree

And I completely disagree with you!

When I drive some track in other games the time is steadily improving almost every lap, you are building better lines, balance car better.

In GT5P I can make 10 laps on Suzuka and time doesn't change at all. For sure you need some skills to drive faster in GT5P, but somehow I feel this skills are very different from other games.

So when I will see telemetry in Gran Turismo - I'm believer. If I won't - I'll keep my opinion.

But it just my opinion, or even feelings. It doesn't mean that something is wrong with GT5P
 
Learn to drive better otago. Jay, you are arguing for no reason, he won't ever agree and you can't persuade him. Only telemetry will convince him somewhat.

Although otago, some of your reasoning is quite strange.
 
I feel the same, otago. I play rFactor on PC and I feel every loss of grip, so I can "correct" my car and take a good line or simply prevent a spin.

But, in GT5p, as you said, the car just start to spin without any previous sign of traction loss. This prevents me of doing consistent laps on any circuit, in rFactor I can run many laps and get better and better any time, in GT5p I can do many laps with maybe 2-3 secs of difference, the car just doesnt feel right.

I'm just comparing these games, if I talk about GT5p only I think it feels really good compared to other games (arcades or not), the problem is that you cant feel the grip loss correctly. I hope it gets better with GT5


(sorry for my English, i'm doing my best)
 
Learn to drive better otago.

The last time somebody overtook me on road was around 3 months ago (some crazy street racer, my fault). And roads I drive are twisted as hell!

Only telemetry will convince him somewhat.

Look for yourself.

We have some game with telemetry, which shows how grip changes at every tire and a lot of other different stuff in real time. From the other side we have game which shows nothing.

Games are different, which one you will trust?

Take into account all this strange things in GT5P, like when you change aerodynamics and adjust down force from min to max, your top speed doesn't change at all. It doesn't make GT5P more believable.

It doesn't mean something wrong with GT5P, but average gamer can only trust cause taking for a spin real Z06 on Suzuka will cost some money

I hope it gets better with GT5

My hope exactly. It feels so much better for me when you know your car is lost moments before it happened and Elise feels like blade cutting the edges of turns
 
Last edited:
I think the feeling of traction is very real in GT5P. When you reach a very high speed, the cars feel so light (like in real-life) and a little bump could make you spin.
 
I read somewhere that Michael Schumacher was usually correcting a slide before it happened...

Apparently - this trait is common in most F1 drivers...

I.e. if you're seeing the slide - you're too late anyway...

C.
 
I play GTR Evolution, GT Legends and what not on PC and i have never felt that much response by a car as far as traction and loss of it is concerned as i do with GT5 Prologue. The G25 really gives you some good feedback, though other games may have a better FF implementation, the sound of the tires alone lets you know how much faster you can go, before you loose control. Especially the good feeling of weight and the good implementation of weight destribution helps you to get a good feeling for the car and the road.

Modern cars, especially sports cars, have much more grip than older cars, but the line between going through the corner and loosing grip gets thinner, so i think GT5 is very acurate in this aspect.
 
Last edited:
We have some game with telemetry, which shows how grip changes at every tire and a lot of other different stuff in real time. From the other side we have game which shows nothing.

GT5 Prologue. Prologue, as in, introduction. Demo. Gran Turismo 4 had full telemetry data.

Games are different, which one you will trust?

Take into account all this strange things in GT5P, like when you change aerodynamics and adjust down force from min to max, your top speed doesn't change at all. It doesn't make GT5P more believable.

And just where can you do full speed in GT5P? There are no tracks which will let you reach the top speed of many of the cars in-game... and, personally... adjusting aero in the Gran Turismo series has always caused a change in top speed where the top speed wasn't gear-limited.

No. With most of simulators you can almost double your speed with ideal racing line.

"Double" is an exaggeration. You can eke out that extra tenth of a second that no one else has found, but that's it.

In real life, you can have an entire field of drivers separated by just one or two seconds on a track taking wildly differing lines. There's no magic line that allows you to pull more than two or three seconds a lap in a field of somewhat competent drivers. Against racers? A perfect line won't be worth a second a lap.

In Prologue the difference is much smaller. Probably because sliding cars don't loose too much speed, they continue moving forward and moving sidewards at the same time. All that you need to do is staying somewhere inside the turn.

I know we've had this argument before... but again... in pro mode, you can get nowhere near the top Time Trial times by doing this in GT5P.

You can gain something by opening the exit, but it still far from what the difference it makes in other sims

The difference between driving a picture perfect lap in GT5P and driving a loosey-goosey one is worth several car-lengths in Time Trial, at least. I've ghost-raced dozens of best times and when the other guy is driving the perfect line, I struggle to keep in touch when doing four-wheel drifts... in Professional mode. In Standard mode, sliding is the fastest way around the track... but nobody plays standard mode.









All the standard mode junkies are playing Shift, now... :lol:







You can make all the claims you want about the poor communication of grip-limits in GT5P... as that's a personal thing, and I agree, somewhat... but your claim that driving a perfect racing line makes no difference in laptimes is outright false, given the evidence of the online leaderboards... which anyone can view and download at their pleasure. And that aero doesn't change top speed? Given you don't have a huge test track or Sarthe circuit in GT5P, how do you know? The only cars that can hit their top speed on Daytona are the lower powered ones... and even then... increased aero can still increase your speed on Daytona, up to a point, as it gives you more speed off the banking.
 
Last edited:
Hey i play shift aswell, you just have to take it for what it is, an entertaining arcade racer. :D
 
Interviewer: What aspect of the final product are you most satisfied with?

Yamauchi about GT5: Obviously I cannot stay only with one, because it was the fruit of hard work by many people spread over many departments. And I respect, admire and appreciate the work of each. But if I had to decide, perhaps I would get the “feeling” in the wheel while I play. The result is a new experience, a new development.
 
Last edited:
Much better than GT4 but still no feel of traction or grip whatsoever.

Agree. Specially if you play Shift for a while and then comeback to Prologue - you'll notice immediately the difference. Shift gives a more realistic feedback of traction and grip, tire-road contact, than Prologue. I expect (wish) GT5 would be at Shift's level on this specific issue.
 
Back