Feel of driving in GT5(P) vs. Previous GTs

  • Thread starter Thread starter Leadfoot53
  • 99 comments
  • 9,929 views
Again... in GT4... you could feel the difference between an Acura RSX and a Honda Integra... and it wasn't just the weight... you could feel the difference in tire grip and suspension calibration....

Correction: you could. I couldn't feel any difference between 1980-th RUF and Impreza. 95% of GT4 cars feels like same car with different acceleration and braking (and model of course).

The game was really bad. Physics were poor even in comparison with non simulator racers like PGR and NFS 5. AI was the worst I've ever seen in racing games. Racing events sucked because of all this strange rolling starts and random opponent's cars.

There is no comparison between GT4 and GT5 Prologue
 
Maybe cuz that RUF and that Impreza were both 4WD.:lol:

But in GT5P you wouldn't have a problem guessing a FR from an MR blindfolded with the sound off.
 
But in GT5P you wouldn't have a problem guessing a FR from an MR blindfolded with the sound off.

GT5P does a good job. You clearly feel the difference between each car and they do what you expect.

Ford GT doesn't like hard braking in turns as well. LOL
 
Correction: you could. I couldn't feel any difference between 1980-th RUF and Impreza. 95% of GT4 cars feels like same car with different acceleration and braking (and model of course).

Now I know you don't know what you're talking about. The old RUF had less chassis composure, much, much more understeer... trickier to extract a good laptime from... are we even talking about the same game?

The game was really bad. Physics were poor even in comparison with non simulator racers like PGR and NFS 5. AI was the worst I've ever seen in racing games. Racing events sucked because of all this strange rolling starts and random opponent's cars.

Gag. Choke. PGR? NFS 5?!? Would you like to post a poll asking people about this? I'd bet you 50:1 most people on this site (or any other, for that matter...) will disagree with you.

Opponent cars weren't random. They all had A-Spec points roughly equal to yours. Except for the odd race where you got the weenie Lotus Exige, this worked, for the most part, except for the handicapping of FWD and AWD cars due to the aforementioned lack of snap-oversteer in front-heavy cars.
 
As long as they can properly simulate the effect of an LSD in a rear drive car, and more accurately get the feeling of understeer using the force feedback, I'll be happy. Right now, both are sorely lacking, but almost everything else is good.
 
If the FF for understeer would feel like the effect in Ferrari Challenge, i would be happy, because it gives you a very very good feedback. It might not be 100% real but its close in my opinion.

Other than that the FF in GT5 is good. I had some Problems with my G25 and Prologue, because the FF does not give constant preasure to the wheel while turning (especially in longer fast turns, like Suzuka after the double bends in Dunlop and in the Spoon bend). Sometimes it feels as if there was a toothed wheel inside the G25 slipping, but it actually is an effect in the FF model of GT5P, i hope they change it, because it feels awkeward somehow. I dont have that effect in any other game.
 
I noticed little problem with FF in Prologue. Many people who played GT in my place have problem with G25 at the end of the turns because they tend to turn further even if curve already ended and on a following straight they need correction to get back to ideal line. I observated them and it's probably unnatural FF effect forcing them to do that.
 
I also noticed a glitch on Daytona with the mk 4 Golf GTI, slow down to about 10 mph & turn the car about 10 to 15 degrees right, don't accelerate. The car doesn't drive up the banked parts of the track, it stays at the same angle & goes forward.The wheels still spin & become unconnected to the track, so it's like a complete loss of grip.
 
Last edited:
If the FF for understeer would feel like the effect in Ferrari Challenge, i would be happy, because it gives you a very very good feedback. It might not be 100% real but its close in my opinion.

Other than that the FF in GT5 is good. I had some Problems with my G25 and Prologue, because the FF does not give constant preasure to the wheel while turning (especially in longer fast turns, like Suzuka after the double bends in Dunlop and in the Spoon bend). Sometimes it feels as if there was a toothed wheel inside the G25 slipping, but it actually is an effect in the FF model of GT5P, i hope they change it, because it feels awkeward somehow. I dont have that effect in any other game.

Agreed - this is one aspect that Ferrari Challenge (and more particularly, SuperCar Challenge) does extremely well, that awful feeling you get when the front tyres just start to judder and slide over the road surface.
 
LOL. Forza has better physics than LFS and LFS physics is the best on PC so far.

Forza has too much grip, LFS not enough... you really can't say one is better than the other :dopey:
 
Forza has too much grip, LFS not enough... you really can't say one is better than the other :dopey:

GT4 had very low limits, probably to fake lap times. And beyond the limits cars behaviour was exactly opposite what they supposed to do in real life.

LOL. In real life I passed similar turns with crap Corolla faster, than fancy 50.000$ sport cars in GT4 were capable off. Seriously, physics in GT4 were pure and 100% ****.

Now I checked GT5P and Forza 2 at Suzuka using Nissan Z: limits are the same, car starts to go out at around same speed in every turn. The behaviour is also pretty similar. The sense of speed is very different, so you should look at speedometer, otherwise 100 mph in GT5P looks like 60 mph in Forza



This guy definitely feel good driving GT5P:

812eeb4f-1.jpg


0eb96010-1.jpg


Traded his pants to helmet probably. LOL
 
Last edited:
GT4 had very low limits, probably to fake lap times. And beyond the limits cars behaviour was exactly opposite what they supposed to do in real life.

Again... ignoring my post. Go back and read Scaff's review on tires in GT4. The grip limits are nearly exactly the same as in real life.

LOL. In real life I passed similar turns with crap Corolla faster, than fancy 50.000$ sport cars in GT4 were capable off. Seriously, physics in GT4 were pure and 100% ****.

You've obviously never driven on the race-track.

Now I checked GT5P and Forza 2 at Suzuka using Nissan Z: limits are the same, car starts to go out at around same speed in every turn. The behaviour is also pretty similar. The sense of speed is very different, so you should look at speedometer, otherwise 100 mph in GT5P looks like 60 mph in Forza

So... Forza is just as unrealistic as GT?
 
I think otago's problem is that he spends so much time in these games that what thrills him equates to reality. Many racing games hype the visuals of speed. I've even seen this in GTR to a degree.

As an experiment, I spent some time carefully watching the scenery pass on a stretch of highway on the way to my brother's house, going about 70-ish mph. I then took a car around High Speed Ring at the same speed, flipped to cockpit cam, and it looked almost exactly the same. The other problem we have is that going 150mph in these cars makes everything shy of 100mph seem slow. Obviously, perception of reality is just as important as the reality itself, because our perceptions define what is and isn't real. Spend a lot of time in a racing game going full blast around a track? 70mph seems slow, 25 seems like you're parked. :lol:
 
Well said 👍.
 
The new gt videos look great to me, I see there are people that are afraid that it will be to easy..? Well I think PD mean that low speed physics will be more realistic (easyer), I have total faith in PD. IMO GT5 will be the be best driving game/sim ever...I hope :dopey: Is it really one company who have used longer time on a console game?? dont think they have just drinking beers all this time :lol:
 
Well we wouldn't hear KY in interviews, for the hiccups Mr V.
 
Did not quite understand your post....


Yeah I know I am bad at English....:O
 
Last edited:
Correction: you could. I couldn't feel any difference between 1980-th RUF and Impreza. 95% of GT4 cars feels like same car with different acceleration and braking (and model of course).

The game was really bad. Physics were poor even in comparison with non simulator racers like PGR and NFS 5. AI was the worst I've ever seen in racing games. Racing events sucked because of all this strange rolling starts and random opponent's cars.

Hmm

Here's what someone who has drove most of the cars in GT4 and real life thought of it.

Jeremy Clarkson
I called Sony and asked it to send me a game chip already loaded with the 700 computer cars. And I am in a position to test out its claims because, unlike most people, I really have driven almost all of them in real life.

There are mistakes. The BMW M3 CSL, for instance, brakes much better on the road than it does on the screen. And there’s no way a Peugeot 106 could outdrag a Fiat Punto off the line. But other than this, I’m struggling: they’ve even managed to accurately reflect the differences between a Mercedes SL 600 and the Mercedes SL 55, which is hard enough to do in real life.

There’s more, too. If you take a banked curve in the Bentley Le Mans car flat out, you’ll be fine. If you back off, even a little bit, you lose the aerodynamic grip and end up spinning.

That’s how it is. This game would only be more real if a big spike shot out of the screen and skewered your head every time you crashed. In fact that’s the only real drawback: that you can hit the barriers hard without ever damaging you or your car. Maybe they’re saving that for GT5. Perhaps it’ll be called Death or Glory.

I think i will value his opinion more than yours.
 
To be Honest, I Didnt liked the feel of GT4 that Much, I feel that some cars are on Rails or they have Too much Understeer, but Just dunno why I Really enjoyed GT3 Physics, and GT5P Physics A LOT More! It might be because of Real Oversteer, better sense of speed and The difference between a FWD and a RWD are Humongous!, so in the Physics department what GT needs are Better Crash and Tyre Physics, nothing more.
 
GT4 drove nicely but prologue is much much better sim wise. It just feels realistic. The differences are much more acute than GT4. cant wait for gt5.

pricey, clarkson's review was the one that convinced me to get GT4. i thought GT would never have got better after GT3. But i was sadly mistaken
 
I'm a forza player and really think you can feel when your car is about to lose grip giving you the ability to keep it right on the edge. I had GT4 and that was completely different, and although i loved it, there was no feeling in comparison.

I hope this is improved in GT5, along with the engine sounds, as this would make it the perfect game for me.

Forza 3 looks more like Forza 2.5, a few new cars & tracks, a couple new game modes, nothing special. Graphics look kinda arcadey which I don't like. So fingers crossed GT5 is the perfect racing sim!
 
GT4 had better physics than GT3, but there was an issue that all cars were equiped with S-Type tyres and only N-Type tyres gave an oversteer. Try RUF CTR Yellowbird with N2's on Nordschleife today and you'll have a lot of fun.
 
GT4 had better physics than GT3, but there was an issue that all cars were equiped with S-Type tyres and only N-Type tyres gave an oversteer. Try RUF CTR Yellowbird with N2's on Nordschleife today and you'll have a lot of fun.

Nah - the issue was that the oversteer was unrealistically implemented, because the physics were off.
 
Nah - the issue was that the oversteer was unrealistically implemented, because the physics were off.

...and therefore I could do the same things and make the same times as Stefan Roser used to :sly:

 
Good for you, but I'm still right.
 
Good for you, but I'm still right.

I think he meant that because physics were off he could drive as good as Stefan Roser, cuz I don't think he could in a real yellowbird 💡
 
I'm a forza player and really think you can feel when your car is about to lose grip giving you the ability to keep it right on the edge. I had GT4 and that was completely different, and although i loved it, there was no feeling in comparison.
This is where taste comes into play, in my opinion, combined with what the game offers you. I found that Forza 2 gave me a much different feel for the cars that I found less satisfying versus GT4. Part of that was the tire sounds in FM2 which increasingly get on my nerves, especially with F3 using them. Now they're starting to sound like strangled owls or something. The second factor was the feel of force feedback in the Logitech DFP wheel vs the flimsy MS FFB wheel. The third are the driver views, which suited me much more in GT4. Because of all this, taking turns in GT4 were natural, while I was often fishing through them in Forza. Cockpit view will help some people with this, but not all of us get along with it, like me. I haven't found a cockpit view game which was realistic yet. Toca's was closest, but then it gave you a very forward position which was still too low.

I suspect that the debate between the feel of GT5 and F3 won't ever stop because the flavors are distinctly different, and by now, fans have developed their tastes around their favorite game.
 
I think he meant that because physics were off he could drive as good as Stefan Roser, cuz I don't think he could in a real yellowbird 💡

It wasn't my swank, just a thinking about not so bad GT4 physics with N2 tyres. In fact, in the real car, you could never go so far because of fear.
 
Back