Ferrari 488 Pista 2019

• Thread starter Castrol96
  • 164 comments
While it might sound weird in English, Pista (track) isn't all that weird in Italian. Isn't "stradale" (360 Challenge Stradale) Italian for "road"?

But name aside, I like it. Looks... well looks like you'd expect a modern Ferrari to look like. Wild design, not exactly elegant like old Ferraris, but perfectly fitting in today's supercar world.

No, I was going to mention it in the S-duct section of the article :lol:

Incidentally, the 488 Track follows on from such wonderful names as the 458 Special, the 430 Stable, and the 360 Challenge Road.

Still, it's no worse than the The Ferrari Open, or the 599 Big Journey Same.

We use Pista in other contexts too. For example if you're comming up behind someone whilst skiing or biking, you shout it to let that person notice someone faster is behind them and wants to overtake. So you cold call it the 488 "Get out of my way!!"

EDNU4509.jpg

I bet the meetings where they come up with these slides are a right laugh. :rolleyes:

While it might sound weird in English, Pista (track) isn't all that weird in Italian. Isn't "stradale" (360 Challenge Stradale) Italian for "road?"

Also "Scuderia" being Italian for "team". Ordinary nouns sound more compelling in Italian.

I don't understand the problem with calling it Pista (Track). There has been few other car companies using the word "Track" for the trim level of a car, Nissan had Z33 350Z and R35 GTR Track Editions, BMW had M3 E92 and
M235i Track Editions, HSV had Clubsport R8 Track Edition and Hyundai had Genesis Coupe Track. What the difference them using it and Ferrari?

I don't understand the problem with calling it Pista (Track). There has been few other car companies using the word "Track" for the trim level of a car, Nissan had Z33 350Z and R35 GTR Track Editions, BMW had M3 E92 and
M235i Track Editions, HSV had Clubsport R8 Track Edition and Hyundai had Genesis Coupe Track. What the difference them using it and Ferrari?

Trim level?

Those other companies have more credibility when it comes to automotive naming.

I feel like we all need to remember that Italian cars with Italian names tend to sound better in Italian.

430 Scuderia sounds cool. 430 Stable doesn’t. 488 Pista is pretty normal. 488 Track also sounds somewhat normal.

Hell, Quattroporte can be literally translated as Maserati Four Door

Trim level?
But Pista is the "trim level" the model is 488 and the trim is Pista.

Those other companies have more credibility when it comes to automotive naming.
The only stupid model name Ferrari had LaFerrari, all other questionable names were trim levels. I admit some of the latest Ferrari naming is stupid.
If they call one of their cars "Rari" then I would lose it.

The only stupid model name Ferrari had LaFerrari, all other questionable names were trim levels. I admit some of the latest Ferrari naming is stupid.
If they call one of their cars "Rari" then I would lose it.
Do we consider Superfast a trim level or a model name, considering it's a "base" model? IMO worst name they've ever come up with, LaFerrari sounds a bit silly but nowhere near Superfast

Actually that's interesting, makes me wonder what trim level really is. An E46 (3series) 325i is the model. 330i is the model. M3 is the model. I understood trim level to be more along the lines of an equipment or feature package that can be added or removed to the base car without fundamentally changing it. Now I'm realizing that I don't even know what "trim" really is.

woah.gif

Actually that's interesting, makes me wonder what trim level really is. An E46 (3series) 325i is the model. 330i is the model. M3 is the model. I understood trim level to be more along the lines of an equipment or feature package that can be added or removed to the base car without fundamentally changing it. Now I'm realizing that I don't even know what "trim" really is.

woah.gif
For your E46 example, "3-Series" should be the model while 325i, 330i, and M3 would be trim levels. It doesn't work that well for BMW since it's more number based.

For your E46 example, "3-Series" should be the model while 325i, 330i, and M3 would be trim levels. It doesn't work that well for BMW since it's more number based.

Nope! 325, 330, M3 are all models. You can get the 330 with a performance package (ZHP) or a sport package (ZSP) for example, and I think those are trim levels... although... I have a hard time really understanding where the line is.

M3 also comes with the competition package for example.

Nope! 325, 330, M3 are all models. You can get the 330 with a performance package (ZHP) or a sport package (ZSP) for example, and I think those are trim levels... although... I have a hard time really understanding where the line is.
Those are just packages. Optional extras for the trim.

Latest Posts

Back