Ferrari F40, why so bad?

• Thread starter balang_479
  • 146 comments
Gran Turismo always has favorites. Always has, always will.
You see, Mr. Yameuchi likes certain cars, and those cars, he has no shame in giving an advantage.
He bought a Ford GT before GT4 came out. Suddenly Ford is wrong and the GT can go 220, not 205mph. And it's on the cover. Now in GT5P, the introduction of PP (performance points) where the Ford GT (tuned) is relatively unbeatable. (except on Daytona Speedway:)). His other classic favs are: NSX, Integra, Clio, And now the GTR, too. (who coulda guessed)
This is why online racing with GT5P is basically a 5 car game. Check the PP avail., And pick yameuchis favorite car that fits that pp range, or you will lose, unless everyone you race sucks, at which point, you accomplished nothing.

What I'm trying to say is, Mr. Yameuchi doesn't like the F40, and that's why it pushes so badly, and can't corner worth a damn in GT5P.

Believe it or not, I don't completely disagree with that.

Time to get creative, whip out the tinfoil and make a hat ya'll!..

Let me check: (Looks in Mr. Yamauchi's garage) Nope. No Clio there... No Integras, either... and no Z06s (that must be why they were so damn fast in GT4... he probably had one then and just got rid of it... so they're not fas anymore.. ) Oh... there's a Mercedes SL55 in there (which, in interviews... he has said is one of his favorite cars...)

Which must be why the top ranks of online racing are filled with SL55s... right? Right?
You know what? I just realized, you don't even know what your talking about, that's why all you said were jokes, about tin foil alien hats.
So, you got any real rational as to why a Ford GT with less power and more weight will still outrun a Vette tuned up to have more power and less weight?
Or is that just an alien conspiracy? Play the game, do some tests before you open your mouth.

had another drive tonight it definitely understeers. at suzuka 130r i cant take it as fast as the 512bb. controlling the power isnt a problem, its entering the corner too fast and you're off the road no chance of recovering, i cant even induce throttle lift off oversteer in this thing!

Thats what you get when using ABS1,bumper....Lift off oversteer absolutly excist with clutch,abs 0,incar.:)Its allways difficult to tell when ASM is used(abs1).
Beatiful car to drive.

Thats what you get when using ABS1,bumper....Lift off oversteer absolutly excist with clutch,abs 0,incar.:)Its allways difficult to tell when ASM is used(abs1).
Beatiful car to drive.

ASM is not ABS in any way... ABS doesnt not affect a cars stability... only braking amount.

Beatiful car to drive.
Why would a clutch cause lift-off oversteer? They have nothing to do with each other.
And ABS only reduce brake pressure when sensors sense wheel lock, and when they sense unlock, they apply more pressure. This also has nothing to do with lift-off oversteer.

You are talking theoretical,its not the same as how its done in prologue.This is a game,not RL.It does what its made to do.

Thats how it should be,but not in prologue! :grumpy:

What do you mean?
There is ASM and there is ABS and they do exactly what they should do.
ASM makes the car more stable with slowing it down when it starts to slide and the ABS prevents the wheels from locking up. The wheel lock up in GT5P is not that good though, the wheels are locking up to hard and fast.

What do you mean?
There is ASM and there is ABS and they do exactly what they should do.
ASM makes the car more stable with slowing it down when it starts to slide and the ABS prevents the wheels from locking up. The wheel lock up in GT5P is not that good though, the wheels are locking up to hard and fast.
Agreed.

You are talking theoretical,its not the same as how its done in prologue.This is a game,not RL.It does what its made to do.
I can only assume you're considering it Active Stability Management because the car is more stable without the wheels locked. ASM does not control brake lock up per se. What ASM does is change braking loads to individual wheels, and/or throttle, along with modifying steering input, to try to keep cars from going into uncontrolled slides.
ABS, or Anti lock brakes, controls wheel lock up, from controlling the amount of brake pressure applied, so that when a wheel locks up, it will release some braking force to allow the wheels to start rotating again, for two reasons. The first reason is cars can stop faster with the wheels turning than they can locked, and the second, is cars turn much better when the wheels are not locked. So if your driving without ABS, and you lock the wheels, you'll cease to turn, and if you release the brakes, it will start turning, and cause the car to "snap" back from it's straight-line skid.any additional repetitions will only increase the instability of the car.
I've been playing the GT series since forever, and if there's one thing I know it's that the F40 in it understeers. Whether or not they do IRL, I do not know, but being a Ferrari, I wouldn't expect it, no.

Oh the F40 understeers in real life too, it understeers while entering the corner and oversteers slightly when you accelerate out.

The car feels exactly how i would expect it judging from videos ive seen.^^

Btw. because of the ABS thing, i hope they will fix the wheel lock up for GT5, it would make the Super GT races more realistic and exciting (ABS is not allowed in real life there afaik).

Oh the F40 understeers in real life too, it understeers while entering the corner and oversteers slightly when you accelerate out.

The car feels exactly how i would expect it judging from videos ive seen.^^

Btw. because of the ABS thing, i hope they will fix the wheel lock up for GT5, it would make the Super GT races more realistic and exciting (ABS is not allowed in real life there afaik).
Those 3 videos on the last page? I don't know, the first one looked like the guy couldn't hold a line, and the third seemed scared to really drive it. The second video seemed ok, but I'm confused there where the driver says it has "absolutely no turbo lag whatsoever", and then Niky posts about the cars turbo lag? I don't even know what to make of that.

Nah not these, i dont know if theyre on YouTube, ive seen several things about it in TV for example, i might look if i can find it in the next couple of days.

ASM is not ABS in any way... ABS doesnt not affect a cars stability... only braking amount.

ABS in GT5P seems to help stability too, when using the clutch the car is gets more unstable with a bad downshift with ABS off than with ABS on. Probably because once the ABS senses the rear lock up (due to engine compression lock) it reduces rear brake pressure until the compression lock ends.

You know what? I just realized, you don't even know what your talking about, that's why all you said were jokes, about tin foil alien hats.
So, you got any real rational as to why a Ford GT with less power and more weight will still outrun a Vette tuned up to have more power and less weight?
Or is that just an alien conspiracy? Play the game, do some tests before you open your mouth.
you think that it's all down to power and weight? wow you fail how to make a car go fast school.

have a hat :dunce:

GT5P brakes are an on/off switch, that's why most people have no choice but to use ABS if they want to live.

Those 3 videos on the last page? I don't know, the first one looked like the guy couldn't hold a line, and the third seemed scared to really drive it. The second video seemed ok, but I'm confused there where the driver says it has "absolutely no turbo lag whatsoever", and then Niky posts about the cars turbo lag? I don't even know what to make of that.

Second video is on the racetrack, and it's Tiff Needell, who's a professional racecar driver. The other two show what either you or I could expect to experience should we ever drive it on the road... although it's possible we'd be backwards into the bushes in no time.

Maybe turbo-lag isn't the right word... turbo ramp-up is.

Turbo ramp-up on the F40 is like this: Take your standard naturally aspirated, 400 hp car... say... an M3... it's like a giant carnival slide... you slide slowly, slowly, slowly... and then you get over the hump and down a 45-50 degree incline... wheee!

The F40 is like this... slowly... slowly.. slowly... then after you get to the hump before the steep part... and instead of an incline, the F40 drops you off a cliff. :lol:

Under 3000 rpm, there's nothing... afterwards, every 1000 rpm adds another 100 horses or so to the mix... which makes controlling wheelspin very... interesting.

Let's see:

It's supercharged, which means it has more torque.

It's 43 inches tall, which means it has a much lower center of gravity.

It's mid-engined, which gives it a better polar moment of inertia.

It may have crap brakes, but it doesn't have the same rear-end twitchiness that the Z06 does in GT5P... and in real life.

This is the reason the Z06 is so much better in GT4, and why I'm happy with the realism of GT5P... in GT4, the Z06 was a fantastic car to drive... fast, nimble, very stable...

In real life, it's fast, nimble and very stable... BUT... under hard cornering, the rear suspension geometry can make it very, very twitchy and unpredictable. So GT4 got 80% of that correct. GT5P replicates the high levels of handling and the rear twitchiness.

Oh... I play. A lot. Not as much, anymore... but I still remember enough from my playtime to remember that, where GT4 gave an unusual handicap to four-wheel drive cars due to the way it modelled oversteer (if you have any drive going to the front wheels... you can't...) GT5P handicaps front-engined rear-wheel drive cars due to the way the controller is mapped for throttle input. Something I hope will be fixed for GT5 itself.

It's not whether KY loves a car or not... in GT4, the R35 GT-R was an understeering pig. The R34 was better, but was not as quick around the track as similarly powered FR cars like the Mustang Cobra. The Z06 then was faster than any Japanese car short of the tuner cars... the Ford GT was quick, but nowhere near the best. In fact, a lot of people complained about it... too loose... not enough braking power... And the Ford GT was the cover car of GT4.

To claim that KY shows a bias for specific cars, simply because he owns them, only to ignore the fact that some cars he actually owns are crap in the game, is beyond silly.

Last edited:
Hey, if there was a good amount of Ferrari's in the Prolouge. Well you know there will be a lot more Ferrari's than you probably thought.:sly:

It's supercharged, which means it has more torque.
Batter Up! Ford GT = 500 Corvette Z06 = 470 Dodge Viper = 525
and the winner is....(drumroll) Viper? 💡

It's 43 inches tall, which means it has a much lower center of gravity.
43 inches tall is a lower center of gravity than what? 44 inches? 45? yes... but that doesnt tell me anything about the cars top speed, acceleration ability, or much else does it? I know the Z06 has a cd of 0.27, which is .06 better than the GT, I believe.

It's mid-engined, which gives it a better polar moment of inertia.
What? you mean off the line? I'm talking any point in speed, be it 50, 100, 150, or 200mph.
And remember, I'm talking about Vettes and Vipers made to have the same "pp" as the GT, with more power and equal or less weight.

It may have crap brakes, but it doesn't have the same rear-end twitchiness that the Z06 does in GT5P... and in real life.
It doesn't have crap brakes IRL, but you'll see that at the bottom.

The reason the Z06 is so much better in GT4, and why I'm happy with the realism of GT5P... in GT4, the Z06 was a fantastic car to drive... fast, nimble, very stable...
That was a totally different Z06, you know that right? And those physics that helped the Z06 also helped the GT in that game as well. Difference is, the Z06 couldn't go 15mph faster than real-life.

In real life, it's fast, nimble and very stable... BUT... under hard cornering, the rear suspension geometry can make it very, very twitchy and unpredictable. So GT4 got 80% of that correct. GT5P replicates the high levels of handling and the rear twitchiness.
Fantastic. What does that have to do with a special click of cars having all the advantage in the world in GT5P?

Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Best lap time 1:32.75
Best lap average speed (mph) 73.0
0-60 mph/quarter-mile (sec) 4.1/12.0
Braking 70-0 mph (ft) 149
Cornering l/r (g) 1.10/1.09
Weight (lb) 3147
Distribution f/r (%) 50.9/49.1
Top speed (mph) 198

Dodge Viper SRT19 Coupe
Best lap time 1:33.95
Best lap average speed (mph) 72.0
0-60 mph/quarter-mile (sec) 4.3/12.4
Braking 70-0 mph (ft) 150
Cornering l/r (g) 1.04/1.02
Weight (lb) 3454
Distribution f/r (%) 48.8/51.2
Top speed (mph) 190

Ford GT
Best lap time 1:32.45
Best lap average speed (mph) 73.2
0-60 mph/quarter-mile (sec) 3.8/12.2
Braking 70-0 mph (ft) 156
Cornering l/r (g) 1.03/1.01
Weight (lb) 3489
Distribution f/r (%) 43.4/56.6
Top speed (mph) 205

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0511_z06_gt_viper/stats.html

Seems to me they were all (especially the Vette and GT) pretty much on par here. And look! the GT's top speed isn't 220!
Hell, the Z06 beat the GT in a quarter mile?💡

Now are you really insisting that certain cars haven't always had advantages in performance in the GT series? Or are you just assuming it to be accidental? I'd like to know how you could program hundreds of cars to almost perfect acceleration performance compared to real world cars, and just "whoops!" make one or two go extra fast...

But anyway, back on topic, PJ-FFL, the brakes aren't an on/off switch, they just don't have the controls calibrated correctly for the game. Meaning when I push the stick forward 75% of it's travel, I'm already at 100% throttle. Same with the brakes. I worry this problem is no better with wheel/pedals.

He bought a Ford GT before GT4 came out. Suddenly Ford is wrong and the GT can go 220, not 205mph. And it's on the cover. Now in GT5P, the introduction of PP (performance points) where the Ford GT (tuned) is relatively unbeatable.

What I'm trying to say is, Mr. Yameuchi doesn't like the F40, and that's why it pushes so badly, and can't corner worth a damn in GT5P.

I haven't tested in GT4 since you've made this point, but the Ford GT '06 in GT5Prologue, down the Fuji straight (I assume its the longest in the game) doesn't even break 200mph on default settings with N3's, according to the manual, the recommended tire for a realistic handling the Ford GT.

And sure, the Ford GT 'Tuned' is relatively unbeatable, I didn't realize it was a real car? Its a 'concept by GT' car, so is tuned to PD's will, I don't know if thats based on real life tuners or not, I assume not, I think that PD have just tuned some of their favorite cars in the game and given us gamers some 'racing spec' cars to play with in the mean time.

The F40 does understeer, from what I have read/watched about the car, it performs in game as most 'reviewers' have commented on. On 'N3' tires, I can drive it around Suzuka pretty close to the record time of that car (a second off). It understeers badly by comparison to cars of today, but it isn't a car of today, it's 20 years old, made for power and all out speed.

I don't think PD deliberately make cars that outperform the rest. I would say its errors in the physics, as good as they are/have been, they aren't perfect, and certain imperfections, with the right car, is going to perform better than its real world counterpart, as some cars will suffer. Maybe the F40 is one of those cars, maybe not, but as for PD deliberately sabotaging cars because they don't like them? I don't think so.

Even in that Martin Brundle F40 video recently posted he says it understeers on entry and oversteers as you apply power on exit, which is how it behaves (stock form) in GT5P.

Batter Up! Ford GT = 500 Corvette Z06 = 470 Dodge Viper = 525
and the winner is....(drumroll) Viper? 💡

Did you actually mention Viper two pages back? I thought we were only talking the Ford GT and Z06.

43 inches tall is a lower center of gravity than what? 44 inches? 45? yes... but that doesnt tell me anything about the cars top speed, acceleration ability, or much else does it? I know the Z06 has a cd of 0.27, which is .06 better than the GT, I believe. What? you mean off the line? I'm talking any point in speed, be it 50, 100, 150, or 200mph.

The GT is 43 inches tall. Its COG is somewhere between skateboard low and the pavement. The Z06 is taller, with more weight in front, etcetera etcetera etcetera...

And... yeah... now that we mention it... where in GT5P can you get a stock Ford GT on N3s to 220?

And remember, I'm talking about Vettes and Vipers made to have the same "pp" as the GT, with more power and equal or less weight.

The PP system isn't quite perfect... I'm sure we've discussed this before...

It doesn't have crap brakes IRL, but you'll see that at the bottom.

Whether or not it did... the brakes were difficult to use in GT4. Which I'm sure was deliberately done so that it wasn't so obvious that KY loved the car so much.

That was a totally different Z06, you know that right? And those physics that helped the Z06 also helped the GT in that game as well. Difference is, the Z06 couldn't go 15mph faster than real-life.

I thought we were talking GT5P here, not GT4? And the Z06 was easier to handle than the Ford GT in GT4. Both versions of the Z06 are noted for on-the-limit twitchiness... only the previous version was even more so, which was not accurately reflected in the game.

Fantastic. What does that have to do with a special click of cars having all the advantage in the world in GT5P?

You were asking about why the Ford GT was faster than the Z06 in GT5P?

Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Best lap time 1:32.75
Best lap average speed (mph) 73.0
0-60 mph/quarter-mile (sec) 4.1/12.0
Braking 70-0 mph (ft) 149
Cornering l/r (g) 1.10/1.09
Weight (lb) 3147
Distribution f/r (%) 50.9/49.1
Top speed (mph) 198

Dodge Viper SRT19 Coupe
Best lap time 1:33.95
Best lap average speed (mph) 72.0
0-60 mph/quarter-mile (sec) 4.3/12.4
Braking 70-0 mph (ft) 150
Cornering l/r (g) 1.04/1.02
Weight (lb) 3454
Distribution f/r (%) 48.8/51.2
Top speed (mph) 190

Ford GT
Best lap time 1:32.45
Best lap average speed (mph) 73.2
0-60 mph/quarter-mile (sec) 3.8/12.2
Braking 70-0 mph (ft) 156
Cornering l/r (g) 1.03/1.01
Weight (lb) 3489
Distribution f/r (%) 43.4/56.6
Top speed (mph) 205

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/coupes/0511_z06_gt_viper/stats.html

Seems to me they were all (especially the Vette and GT) pretty much on par here. And look! the GT's top speed isn't 220!
Hell, the Z06 beat the GT in a quarter mile?💡

One question: Are we talking GT here in the online races, or GT-tuned? There's a huge difference between the two, even when you try to balance with PP-tuning.

Now are you really insisting that certain cars haven't always had advantages in performance in the GT series? Or are you just assuming it to be accidental? I'd like to know how you could program hundreds of cars to almost perfect acceleration performance compared to real world cars, and just "whoops!" make one or two go extra fast...

The key here is hundreds. And program.

You obviously have not been playing as long as some of us here... You obvioiusly don't remember how the Z06 mistakenly had the same power carried over from GT3, despite being classified as a different year model. How GT4 messed up the gear ratios for the Volkswagen Golf GTi, simply because the GTi has two final drive ratios and the monkeys transcoding those billions of bytes of minutiae didn't understand that you have to recalculate a new fifth and sixth ratio based on the second final gear ratio and the first. Same issue with the Mitsubishi Eclipse GT, for the same reason. How previous GTs have accidentally misclassified cars. How the RX8 ended up a monster in GT4 because some idiot mistakenly programmed the horsepower of the RX8 concept car in for the production car. (which lost a ton of hp due to SAE corrections). How they get weights wrong sometimes (when going by manufacturer's figures, given that some manufacturers quote dry weight, some quote weight with fluids, some quote gross weight... it does get confusing...). The infamous GT3 wheelie trick (which nobody play-testing GT3 for PD ever thought of testing for... or the new Subaru toe trick... which they didn't test for either... simply, testers who are also seasoned track drivers would never ever use those settings in real-life.

Polyphony Digital gets most things right. But they deal with terabytes' worth of data for each game. They sometimes have errors in encoding that nobody catches till the game is released. I'm pretty sure if you went through the Encyclopedia Brittanica, you'll find mistakes, too... as one study famously did... comparing the accuracy of Brittanica to Wikipedia.

Now... your claim is that the mistakes are intentional..., to make some cars seem better. And your opinion is that it's because Kazunori Yamauchi "loves" certain cars more... and, I've provided evidence to the contrary... showing that some cars he does own and "love" aren't so hot in the game. Again... the Skylines in GT4 (as stock... or even modified, since LSDs didn't cure the understeer) were absolute crap. In GT3, people were yelling to high heavens how they were sick of Skylines being faster than other cars. In GT4, the howling stopped. I guess PD's biases changed? :lol:

If you want to push that little conspiracy theory... you need solid evidence of malfeasance. Prove that every single car Yamauchi owns is better than anything else in the game... how do you know he loves the Clio? Does he even own one? Has he even driven one? If the Integra is so gosh-darn broken and unfairly fast... why do I keep beating them with my Focus? I suppose KY has one, too? And I suppose he loves the Elise, because I can beat the "broken" Clio in online PP-restricted races with my "unbroken" Elise.

And you still haven't answered my question about the SL55... which is KY's personal car. Which he loved so much, he put in GT5P, despite there being no other big convertibles to race it against (Aston, at least! Or an M6!).

I've been hearing the "GT is biased" conspiracy theories for years. But it doesn't add up. First they were saying that all Japanese cars were made "better" somehow... now you're saying it's cars that KY loves... without any empirical evidence or proof that he does "love" them.

The PP system is just like any real-life performance balancing system. It's imperfect. There will always be performance-balanced races where one or two cars will dominate, no matter what combination of balancing tactics you use, unless you implement a dynamic system that changes the handicapping based on testing and race results. And even then , you can't balance it so that every car has an equal chance of winning... it's simply impossible.

PP is even worse because it's completely non-dynamic. In other words, a car's PP ratings do not change based on performance in online events... which will hopefully change in GT5, but I'm not holding my breath. Knowing the loopholes and how to jack the system has always been a part of racing, and that's part of what makes PP-tuning and testing so fun... trying to find that last 0.5 seconds that nobody else has figured out how to get.

Last edited:
Back