Finally upped DR to A; Don't want to race online anymore!

• Thread starter sinncere27
  • 117 comments
Once you get to DR B, it gets harder to progress as you will often be matched with A and A+ drivers. You have to learn and become faster to be one of the big dogs yourself. Survival of the fittest :-}

Once you get to DR B, it gets harder to progress as you will often be matched with A and A+ drivers. You have to learn and become faster to be one of the big dogs yourself. Survival of the fittest :-}
Do you think it's a good idea to have matchmaking work that way, to match B drivers with A and A+ drivers? That's like a roughly 10k difference in DR in my case. Why don't they just match B drivers with B drivers, and so on? If that means sometimes not having a full field, does that really matter?

The dominant factor in matchmaking is SR, if your SR is 99 there's every chance you'll end up in the higher split lobbies, as has been said before DR/SR could do with adjusting.

Do you think it's a good idea to have matchmaking work that way, to match B drivers with A and A+ drivers? That's like a roughly 10k difference in DR in my case. Why don't they just match B drivers with B drivers, and so on? If that means sometimes not having a full field, does that really matter?
Yes, it's the way it should work. I'd much rather race better drivers that I can learn from than slower drivers than myself. There's no joy in beating beginners for me, I want to know how I stack up against good players.

Not filling the grid in matchmaking would be bad. A lot of times for the A/A+ crew, only a handful of drivers with QT and rating close to theirs will be on at any one time. How would it be fair if their reward for being the fastest was to only get to race with 4 cars on the grid?

I am on MaxAttacks side but I definitely see that this might be very frustrating. If you want easier and faster wins, matchmaking would be much better with same ranked drivers. On the other hand if you want to improve your pace, it is better to drive against higher ranked drivers. Best way to improve your line is by following a skillful driver. Biggest con is the hard work and the time it takes.

; Mainly if you find a particular daily race combo suits you, keep doing it over and over.. if you can find the time :)

Agreed. The last couple of Daily Race sets were on tracks that weren't my strong suit, so I sat them out while practicing with Qualifying, so I can 'race' my Friends' times.

This week is a much better set for me, what with the Miata at Tsukuba and Gr3 at Maggiore. I foresee a lot of seat time this week to create as much buffer as I can with my DR. That being said, during the first race this morning at Tsukuba I already got punted. :lol:

I really wish we could get over this need to protect our driver ratings with second accounts, and just race.

I understand that people take pride in their rating, and want to be able to race dailies without worrying what split they'll end up in FIA races, but if you can't maintain your rating in the dailies then maybe you don't belong there. The whole point of the driver rating system is to place you with similarly skilled drivers, regardless of how good you could be. Maybe you'll drop down to B and maybe you'll make it back to A. Your driver rating should be a recent and accurate reflection of your ability at that point in time and not how good you were two months ago.

Just like F1 drivers, some are only good enough to stay there for 1 or 2 seasons and some are good enough to stay there their whole careers.

I really wish we could get over this need to protect our driver ratings with second accounts, and just race.

I understand that people take pride in their rating, and want to be able to race dailies without worrying what split they'll end up in FIA races, but if you can't maintain your rating in the dailies then maybe you don't belong there. The whole point of the driver rating system is to place you with similarly skilled drivers, regardless of how good you could be. Maybe you'll drop down to B and maybe you'll make it back to A. Your driver rating should be a recent and accurate reflection of your ability at that point in time and not how good you were two months ago.

Just like F1 drivers, some are only good enough to stay there for 1 or 2 seasons and some are good enough to stay there their whole careers.

I don't disagree with what you are saying in principle, but I think part of the problem is that the game assigns a single Driver Rating that is applied across the board. Whether it's a Group 1 LMP Prototype or a Go-Kart, that's the rating/ability you are currently assigned for that class of car.

As it is I have strengths and weaknesses across the cars, and if I raced everything the daily races threw at us my DR would be very up and down.

I would prefer a system that assigned different ratings for each class. That is essentially what I use my second account for. In my weaker events I can practice at a level that actually makes sense and at the same time use my main account for competing in gr.3 and gr.4 races, again at a level I can compete at.

I don't disagree with what you are saying in principle, but I think part of the problem is that the game assigns a single Driver Rating that is applied across the board. Whether it's a Group 1 LMP Prototype or a Go-Kart, that's the rating/ability you are currently assigned for that class of car.

As it is I have strengths and weaknesses across the cars, and if I raced everything the daily races threw at us my DR would be very up and down.

I would prefer a system that assigned different ratings for each class. That is essentially what I use my second account for. In my weaker events I can practice at a level that actually makes sense and at the same time use my main account for competing in gr.3 and gr.4 races, again at a level I can compete at.

Different DR by class is an interesting idea that I wouldn't be entirely against.

I think I do best in Gr 3 & 4, and yet I've had good results against A-rated drivers in some kart races or Gr.1 at La Sarthe for example. But at the same time it can be entirely dependant on track selection with certain classes. I think for the most part I am quite happy with the current DR system (even if I never make it to DR:A :lol:).

Why? How does it affect you?

Well for one, I don't need A-rated drivers in disguise sandbagging their way to wins in a DR rating I might have a chance of winning in :lol: It also makes people more prone to accidents or incidents of road rage, because it's not their main account so they don't care. It's not fair to the rest of us.

I have my main account that I use for GTPlanet events, Mini Madness etc, I have my other account for daily/FIA etc, they're both A/S. I like to keep them separate so I don't have to worry about SR on my main account.

sandbagging their way to wins in a DR rating I might have a chance of winning in
If someone creates a second account and continues to race at the level of their original account they'll get to that level very quickly. Most of the time there's at least 1 high rated driver in the lobbies so everyone else has little chance of winning anyway.

If the account is for racing without worrying about DR, which in my case means joining races with little practise time, or doing combos I'm not comfortable with, then it'll most likely settle a level or two below the main account. It's a fair reflection of my ability under those restrictions. All I want is competitive races and having two accounts helps. If I use one account I'll get tanked if I dip in for some quick races and then I'll pick up easy wins if I practise for others. Neither situation is fun.
It also makes people more prone to accidents or incidents of road rage, because it's not their main account so they don't care.
For some, anonymity is an excuse to behave in a way that they wouldn't normally but playstation accounts are fairly anonymous anyway so a second account probably doesn't turn too many people into intentional rammers. Either way, wishing people didn't have second accounts wouldn't stop people from creating one with the intention of causing mayhem. People who create second accounts for genuine reasons are not the same people that create accounts for ramming.

If someone creates a second account and continues to race at the level of their original account they'll get to that level very quickly. Most of the time there's at least 1 high rated driver in the lobbies so everyone else has little chance of winning anyway.

If the account is for racing without worrying about DR, which in my case means joining races with little practise time, or doing combos I'm not comfortable with, then it'll most likely settle a level or two below the main account. It's a fair reflection of my ability under those restrictions. All I want is competitive races and having two accounts helps. If I use one account I'll get tanked if I dip in for some quick races and then I'll pick up easy wins if I practise for others. Neither situation is fun.

For some, anonymity is an excuse to behave in a way that they wouldn't normally but playstation accounts are fairly anonymous anyway so a second account probably doesn't turn too many people into intentional rammers. Either way, wishing people didn't have second accounts wouldn't stop people from creating one with the intention of causing mayhem. People who create second accounts for genuine reasons are not the same people that create accounts for ramming.

If your second account is going to be at the same level or near enough, then what's the point? If you want competitive races, why wouldn't you use your slightly higher-rated main account?

Having a second account just to try another car without practice and call it "fair reflection" just seems a little disingenuous to be honest.

I wasn't suggesting people would deliberately look to behave badly with a second account. I was suggesting that people that use second accounts as a carefree testing ground are more likely to be involved in accidents. Heck, even Lazybike's comment supports that:

I have my main account that I use for GTPlanet events, Mini Madness etc, I have my other account for daily/FIA etc, they're both A/S. I like to keep them separate so I don't have to worry about SR on my main account.

I use my second account for Races I’m not good at so I can practice them more without having my ratings drop in the process. Not to mention the fact that other people can ruin your race quite easily and having your rating dropped because some guy punts you in T1 doesn’t exactly reflect one’s true ability either.

Last edited:
If your second account is going to be at the same level or near enough, then what's the point? If you want competitive races, why wouldn't you use your slightly higher-rated main account?
It takes a long time to get your rating up, looking back it looks to have taken me about 3 months to get my highest rated account up from 14k to 34k, mainly only doing FIA races. There's no way I'd just jump into a daily race with that account now. So you test the daily race first with an account where it's not such a disaster if a race goes very badly wrong. You need it to be at a similar rating to the main account so you're testing doing the daily race against the same standard of driver. What I've noticed is that the standard for the same DR is much higher in daily races than it is in FIA races, presumably because everyone brings out their best account for the FIA races, to score the most points. In daily races, a lot of people seem to use lower rated accounts, and they drive with much more willingness to make contact, so there's no way I'd risk my best account without first establishing how the race is likely to go.

If someone is playing the game regularly and to their best ability then both accounts will be at a similar DR level. My point was that if that's the case they won't be taking wins from anyone. There are lots of reasons why they might want to do it. Maybe they like racing without qualifying, maybe they don't want to risk their SR and end up in a lower rated lobby in their next FIA race, or maybe they like to race in uncompetitive cars, etc. People like to have fun with the game and also like to dedicate themselves to the competition. It's a huge risk to play the game both ways on one account.

In my case I use a second account for two reasons. I tend to have long periods when I don't race (or I log on sporadically for a race or two), or a race comes up on a track I haven't learned.
Having a second account just to try another car without practice and call it "fair reflection" just seems a little disingenuous to be honest.
It's a fair reflection of my ability under those restrictions.
That's the actual quote. There's nothing disingenuous about it. If I race without practising my DR level will reflect that. If I do practise I can be competitive at a higher level. Using two accounts means I don't waste races getting easily beaten or winning easily.

I wasn't suggesting people would deliberately look to behave badly with a second account. I was suggesting that people that use second accounts as a carefree testing ground are more likely to be involved in accidents. Heck, even Lazybike's comment supports that:
I can't speak for someone else but the two situations he/she uses a second account wouldn't affect SR anyway because they're public lobbies. In any case not worrying about SR can mean protecting oneself from incidents that one is not in control of, ie someone else's behaviour resulting in SR drop for oneself.

Anyway, if people using second accounts to race in a less than sporting manner is the issue, then surely your problem is with those people. If the conscientious people stopped using their second accounts, the griefers would still have theirs which would mean there would be no impact.

I don't have a second account so I can drive dirty, both my accounts are the same level which is a fair reflection of my ability, some of the events I do require SR S, I don't want to risk that in the dailies.

I don't quite understand the algo right now.

Early yesterday I had a subpar race where I got dinged with two time penalties in that single race, which resulted in my SR downgrading to A. By the next race I got my SR back to S, but since then I've been finding myself in mixed DR races.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about getting the hat trick of pole, FL, and win/podium, but why am I the big fish in the pond all of a sudden? Been so many weeks now that I've been just mid-pack, I'm not used to being chased! :lol:

That being said, it's doing wonders building up my DR for sure like I hoped.

I don't quite understand the algo right now.

Early yesterday I had a subpar race where I got dinged with two time penalties in that single race, which resulted in my SR downgrading to A. By the next race I got my SR back to S, but since then I've been finding myself in mixed DR races.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about getting the hat trick of pole, FL, and win/podium, but why am I the big fish in the pond all of a sudden? Been so many weeks now that I've been just mid-pack, I'm not used to being chased! :lol:

That being said, it's doing wonders building up my DR for sure like I hoped.

You can be S SR but still not be at the maximum so you will be put in the lobbies where everyone has 81-89 or so. The game matches you first by SR then DR so it finds the quickest 20 drivers with the maximum SR first and the next 20 quickest and so on until it goes to the lower SR lobbies where there is obviously a smaller player pool for the 'inbetween' SR rating

You can be S SR but still not be at the maximum so you will be put in the lobbies where everyone has 81-89 or so. The game matches you first by SR then DR so it finds the quickest 20 drivers with the maximum SR first and the next 20 quickest and so on until it goes to the lower SR lobbies where there is obviously a smaller player pool for the 'inbetween' SR rating

How interesting. It's a really nuanced system, isn't it. I can see how it can be made to work to your advantage points-wise.

After so many years, exclusively 2 in rank B, nearly 400 sport races and countless hours in lobbies, 180 days logged in and I have touched a the group A:). Thanks to my favorite Super GT combo. What is funny, still no wins at all, but at least progress. Hope weeks like this will be more often.

After so many years, exclusively 2 in rank B, nearly 400 sport races and countless hours in lobbies, 180 days logged in and I have touched a the group A:). Thanks to my favorite Super GT combo. What is funny, still no wins at all, but at least progress. Hope weeks like this will be more often.

Hurry, screenshot your profile! :lol:

I don't think it's a waste of time if you learn car control through practice, the more you understand the physics the faster you can go, and that takes practice, I think using DR as a rating of a players ability to control the car is better than rating it on where you finish in a race.

Nope m8 your taking the wrong aproach, you can´t rank someone in GT if he don´t race other people, this is not a WRC game where you race against others people times, here you are placed in a track with a lot of cars and many factors will kick in, hot lapping it´s not racing, and racing offline against I.A ins´t racing either is at best pratice some driving skills I.A in GT is just bad has hell can be...cars in track are just blinded objects.

It´s easy to see just check what kind of players have the best times in offline challenges, their online rank it´s low or they probably don´t even have online rank.

The oposite check the best online ranked drivers and you´ll see that most of them don´t even bother to play offline.

I do think that PD could make a GR based cup or championship but dunno if it´s a viable option, in real life pilots are steady and theres a limited number of drivers to fill a division.

Last edited:
I’m convinced nobody actually has fun with this game. Certainly not me, with only ten wins to show for over 400 races logged. I think I was just in denial, thinking I was enjoying GT.

For me it's all about a good race with a stranger. I've had hollow wins, when I get put in a lobby as the fast guy and just win from pole, flag-to-flag.

But those races I find myself battling someone in my pace, driving with equal respect, those are my favorite. Sometimes I lose but it doesn't even matter, nor was the finishing position. A good race is worth it on its own.

I’m convinced nobody actually has fun with this game. Certainly not me, with only ten wins to show for over 400 races logged. I think I was just in denial, thinking I was enjoying GT.
Not sure why you have to use a sweeping generalisation to put your point across

Even though I told you in the other thread you said this that I did enjoy it?

Come on, there is a lot of sympathy for you here but you can't keep high jacking so many threads with this. We know you don't enjoy the game. GTSport has between 25-30,000 active players per day. I very much doubt all of those people are playing and not enjoying it!

Come on man, how many real race drives have put their live in it, and never saw a podium, many. If you like driving, there is nothing else you actually need. Yeah, I could be upset finishing always second, but in reality I understand why it is happening. It was like a honor to participate in full A lobby, because thought will never manage, and here I am. Agree, some people given talent, but isn't it a satisfaction to be around a little with only an experience to show off.

Back