First Impressions

• Thread starter IsmokeGT
  • 296 comments
Good: I'm loving it so far. N3 tires actually feel good for me now, where as in Prologue I didn't like to use N tires with the controller. Graphics are superb, as usual. Sounds are better. Overall it just "feels" a lot better. 👍

Bad: No hood view! :(

With all honesty...I really wasn't very impressed, simply for 1 reason. 200mb size of download.
After driving a little bit around the track and checking out the details I see a lot of really weak details such as in the trees and grass. Then there's no smoke as well. But my biggest complaint is that I feel that the physics simply feel a bit wayy to twitchy, but it might be just me (and my controller).

The good: The sounds are SOOO much better in the demo and even though twitchy, the physics do work really well on low speed turns such as the countless number of hairpins in this track.

it's pretty much gt as you'd expect :dopey: I think the ffb is better.

I've not done too many laps and I'm a bit under the duvell so........

It's definitely an improvement from GT5P. To be honest I like driving the stock 370Z more than the tuned one, N3 tires rocks. In car view is good but that stupid banner block your view a little bit.

This is kinda of a picky opinion. But I know in real life, Volk TE37's in Gloss Black aren't as shiny as they are represented in game ;) other then that I love the demo so far, but I want to see more US Drivers on the Top50. Only 4 US drivers including myself are on the top 25 for the tuned event so far. Need to represent the US, so we can get better prizes in the future!

i love it so far, i haven't done much ps3 racing, but raced alot with gt4, back in my ps2 days. so getting back into the swing of things, but everything is great so far, just ready to get the american demo up and running, so i can really crunch down, and get those times dropped (my best time, over 6 laps or so, was a 1:44:xx) :(

also ready for my wheel to come in next week.. :)

I had the chance to do a few laps (with the tuned version) and I love it! The handling feels very precise and the FFB through the G25 seems to be spot on. Too bad I've got to go to work now. :ouch:

Great criticism so far 👍 (keep it coming)
BTW, it is a JPN demo so the American times are null.

Wrong. The demo is the same in every country, the leaderboards are done by the country your IP address is in. Every country's time is being counted.

This feels so diffent from GT5P!! I notice that the tuned 370z is so sensitive! lol My times suck but whatever, this demo is awesome!

The good: I really like the way the car bounces as it drives over the track. It's not a plain flat surface but uneven in places which is great, reminds me a lot of PC sims such as GTR2. Handles brilliantly with the G25 wheel (make sure you go to options and set the wheel to simulation though, otherwise it's too twitchy). In fact, for me that's the best thing about this overall, it compares very favourably to PC racing sims in the handling and physics department (on first impressions anyways) and really is quite wonderful. I'm also pleased to see the tyre squeel sound is now a thing of the past.

The bad: My driving :dopey: Oh and it bugs me how when using the cockpit view, everything gets brighter, would be nicer if maybe the opposite happened and things got a little darker instead but it's only a minor complaint (GT5P was the same).

Good: I'm currently the highest ranked player using a controller. :D

I think I've fallen in love with GT all over again. Thinking about modifying cars in the full game and them being as fun or more exciting that the tuned 370Z is just blowing my mind.

This is great so far. N3 tires feel super RIGHT. R1's are a little amiss with me..

Love it so far.

The Nissan with N3 tyres feels just right. In fact, it feels close to the physics of Live For Speed, which makes it pretty much perfect. I seriously cannot wait for the full game. :drool:

Cons: The grass and gravel trap physics are still terrible. Instead of spinning your tires, they just limit the throttle. I really hope they fix this before GT5.

Pros: FFB feels great!

Given that PD has admitted that the graphics aren't all they could be I see little point criticising them. They're admittedly not great, but not so bad that they actually detract from the experience IMO.

The feel of the cars is great. The FFB is improved although it can still be tough to feel when you're about to lose grip. You can feel the weight shifts better though.

The only complaint I have is the grass. It's like friggin ICE or something. Maybe it's covered in tiny buttons that say "ACTIVATE SPIN MODE NOW". Even at slow speed on N3s, which I understand to be approximately equivalent to a good set of road tires, it's all over the place. As a result, one wheel on the grass and it's all over baby.

Now, there's probably reasons for them doing that. Like, it eliminates any possible advantage from cutting corners. This is fine in a time trial, but in a real race there's times you need to stick a wheel onto the grass to get a clean pass.

I hope that it's some special mutant Indianapolis grass or something. If GT5 had it on every track it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it'd be irritating sometimes. But then I'd get over it. Really, if the demo is what GT5 is going to be like then I'm totally happy.

This is kinda of a picky opinion. But I know in real life, Volk TE37's in Gloss Black aren't as shiny as they are represented in game ;) other then that I love the demo so far, but I want to see more US Drivers on the Top50. Only 4 US drivers including myself are on the top 25 for the tuned event so far. Need to represent the US, so we can get better prizes in the future!

How do you know the TE37's aren't daimond black? :sly:

Found something I like. During a replay, press X then toggle though the camera view to get to roof cam. Then you can use the right analog stick (on the controller) to rotate the view around. Pretty slick. :)

Cons: The grass and gravel trap physics are still terrible. Instead of spinning your tires, they just limit the throttle.

The only complaint I have is the grass. It's like friggin ICE or something. Maybe it's covered in tiny buttons that say "ACTIVATE SPIN MODE NOW". Even at slow speed on N3s, which I understand to be approximately equivalent to a good set of road tires, it's all over the place. As a result, one wheel on the grass and it's all over baby.

Hehehe, so who's right and who's wrong? Unless they have different types of grass laying around the track.

I'm loving the weight transfer of the cars so far. It really feels like you're tossing a beast around a corner. Throttle control has never been more important.

I think I've fallen in love with GT all over again. Thinking about modifying cars in the full game and them being as fun or more exciting that the tuned 370Z is just blowing my mind.

Hahahah I can agree with this, I haven't played yet but I'm about to..

Anyone tried to drift the car yet?

With all honesty...I really wasn't very impressed, simply for 1 reason. 200mb size of download.
Err, what? I expected it to be over 1gb, like most demos. I'm extremely impressed that it's so small.
Also, you gave two reasons. :\

I find the controls with the controller quite twitchy. The sounds are definitely improved and the subtle little bumps do show. Though the roof cam's gone, it doesn't really matter to me. OH, and congrats to GTP_dramakyd, who's top at the moment.

Hahahah I can agree with this, I haven't played yet but I'm about to..

Anyone tried to drift the car yet?

I did :)

1 Word. Awesome.

Only did 2 time trial laps with the stock, 35th place with 1:52.1

Haven't tried the tuned yet.

It's really great. They give you a much better "feel" of being in a car in the cockpit view. Kinda like shift, but not exaggerated like shift.

The physics appear to be much improved. It's quite hard to brake this time around. The car get's really unstable while braking. Dare try to turn while braking and you will slide even on R1's. It's causing me to spin a lot since I end up accelerating while sliding :dunce:

Car reacts a lot more to bumps too and the FFB follows.

Interesting feature: if your car is stopped and you hold the E-brake for a couple of seconds, it will still be engaged when you release the button. I'm glad they finally got that right! :lol:

Last edited:
Back