First impressions PC2

• Thread starter jonyvf
  • 267 comments
So last night was 'fun', new cockpit, new game, new car (McLaren) and new track (Long Beach IIRC?) :lol:

I couldn't figure out why I kept severely over-running the turns and slamming into walls all the time. I had to go into the settings and change the brake force for my pedals from 35 to 50. Then POOF, it was magic I could actually drive the car.

Wow I had that same issue at the beginning with the McLaren. This car is a bit of a beast to begin with. I just switched to a couple of GT3 cars and I've been having a blast. Love the fact they added Long Beach which is 20 miles from me :)

I'm using a G29 and am having no issues at all. I find the out-of-the-box physics to be quite good and definitely an improvement over PC1. I think the squirrelyness of the McLaren may be why some people are complaining.

I will definitely have to try your brake force trick with the McLaren today! Thanks for the tip.

I absolutely love this game. Jumping right into tuning. The race engineer gives some good tips, but they are so minor. There is much more speed to gain by learning the tune settings. I will be working on a new tuning guide for this game.

Good to see you Hami! I've been in hibernation for a while, but came out because I've gotta check out this game. Played for a few hours yesterday and just loving it. Impressed with the OOB experience much more than PC1.

Can't wait for your tuning guide and to try out your first tunes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

Out of interest why did you ask?
I guess it's kind of like the "pics of yourself" thread, that's not at all how I "envisioned" you sounding. You don't sound bad or anything, I was just surprised. The video is well done, by the way. :cheers:

I'm playing on a pc with a g27. I set it to raw. How come I can't feel any road bumps, kerbs, or rumble strips?

And I maxed all the ffb sliders, did I forget anything else?

This is what's weird to me. I haven't played the game yet, I may pick it up down the road. It's like people either absolutely love the game, or think it's terrible. I've only read a couple people say "meh, it's alright".

I don't necessarily hate the game, I'm just very disappointed that a game I had such high hopes for (and pre-ordered, something I normally NEVER do) has a game breaking bug. 99% of my play is single-player, I've never been into playing online.

Can only play a game for under 2 hours and get a Steam refund.

I've played a few seasons of the career on both Xbox and PC and that is not my experience of the game.

Only 2 hours? Damn.
I spent those first few hours testing out various cars, going through the menus and options. I did some time trials to get used to the physics before trying to start a career. This is when I realised it would be impossible - I'm not prepared to sit waiting through half an hour of qualifying every race for a bottom/beginner tier Championship. I want to make some kind of progress.

If indeed my refund request is rejected, obviously I'll keep them game. Maybe it'll pay off and I'll grow to love it. Maybe...

I don't necessarily hate the game, I'm just very disappointed that a game I had such high hopes for (and pre-ordered, something I normally NEVER do) has a game breaking bug. 99% of my play is single-player, I've never been into playing online.

Only 2 hours? Damn.
I spent those first few hours testing out various cars, going through the menus and options. I did some time trials to get used to the physics before trying to start a career. This is when I realised it would be impossible - I'm not prepared to sit waiting through half an hour of qualifying every race for a bottom/beginner tier Championship. I want to make some kind of progress.

If indeed my refund request is rejected, obviously I'll keep them game. Maybe it'll pay off and I'll grow to love it. Maybe...
The bug will be fixed, or maybe they will bring the option from pCARS 1 to speed up qualifying. Ian said they are on it.

I decided to start my career with the Ginetta Junior series. Needless to say, the career mode in PC2 is much more in-depth than anything Forza and GT has ever done. There are more factors and variables to take into consideration if you choose to have the most realistic experience possible. For now, I've decided to just keep things simple. I've only completed one race and I still need to adjust to the driving in this game. It would be nice to go completely hardcore (full damage, mechanical failures, no restarts, max race length, max AI difficulty, etc.) at some point though once I'm completely familiar with the game.

I'm not prepared to sit waiting through half an hour of qualifying every race for a bottom/beginner tier Championship. I want to make some kind of progress.

Could you describe in more detail on what problem you're having? Since you have the option to skip qualifying and do a short championship if you want, that sounds strange.

I decided to start my career with the Ginetta Junior series. Needless to say, the career mode in PC2 is much more in-depth than anything Forza and GT has ever done. There are more factors and variables to take into consideration if you choose to have the most realistic experience possible. For now, I've decided to just keep things simple. I've only completed one race and I still need to adjust to the driving in this game. It would be nice to go completely hardcore (full damage, mechanical failures, no restarts, max race length, max AI difficulty, etc.) at some point though once I'm completely familiar with the game.

Could you describe in more detail on what problem you're having? Since you have the option to skip qualifying and do a short championship if you want, that sounds strange.
Yup, I’m with you. I also just finished one race in the same series. Full qualifying, practice, race. Still getting to learn the car and adjusting to using controller instead of a wheel. Plus I’m not too familiar with some of the tracks, so that’s another challenge and fun of it. Once you finally nail that tricky corner it gives you that happy feeling and you want to do it again the next lap.

Cars flying everywhere, too much stuff that doesn't work. I won't be playing that much until the first patch.

I guess it's kind of like the "pics of yourself" thread, that's not at all how I "envisioned" you sounding. You don't sound bad or anything, I was just surprised. The video is well done, by the way. :cheers:
Whenever I watch Scaff's videos I always get an image in my mind of a proper English gentleman in a smoking jacket with an ascot and pocket watch, pipe in hand and bulldog at his side.:sly:

Does anyone think it feels more like AC now in terms of handling? More detailed,more nuances.

Theres quite a few cars im struggling to control,that were fine in Pcars 1. Such as the Zakspeed Capri. I can lose it easily on that first corner at Knockhill. Admittedly it is tricky with it being downhill.
For me it's nowhere near Assetto. To be honest - I'm absolutely unable to be fast in pCARS2, nor to develop a car setup based on solid lap times. Many cars are absolutely uncontrollable (even now that my G29 seems to work with the game [which absolutely wasn't the case in the first evening]), same as I'm nowhere near the lap times I normally do on the same tracks in other race sims. And then there's so many other bugs and issues (AI drivers finding grip where I can't find any, lap times constantly being invalidated, vehicle damage that isn't reset or repaired in sessions, keyboard that can't be assigned, pCARS2 forgetting that I use a wheel controller... etc...)

pCARS2 is soon to end up on my shelf because of frustration.

For every rule there is its exception.
Somewhere in the menu, you find the system settings, penalties, rules and can change according to your preferences, making your game closer to reality (authentic) or not. Well, so far everything right, preferences and tastes is a part of democratic life and I accept all differences with a lot of respect. As you enter the public lobby you come face to face with democracy, naked and raw, with all your fullness of tastes and preferences together, in one place, perfect. There in the menu, game options, in AUTHENTICITY, you can choose among many other things your driving preference, in particular, I set everything to AUTHENTIC. What do I expect from this choice? That the available piloting aids are the same as the car corresponds in real life. Continuing, after all set I looked for the option NAVIGATE ONLINE that invites us to enter races around the world, there I was.
My first impression: wow ... how many people, how many lobbies, how much information and everything well organized.
Before choosing a lobby, I tried to know about the FILTER, there it was, with several options, all important and soon enough I missed some options, such as filtering by MINIMUM LEVEL. Because? Yesterday I only found lobby MINIMUM LEVEL set to OFF and I wanted to play with the REPUTATION SYSTEM. Rolling the menu down, I found some lobbies with the REPUTATION SYSTEM activated, phew, I thought that would be the end of the game for me. The vast majority of lobbies were with the option MINIMUM OF REPUTATION set to OFF, logic is working here, if you have the option that allows you to TURN OFF the RULES I will disconnect and play without harming the CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM. If only the private, password-protected, friends and guests lobby were available the option OFF, for me it makes a lot more sense, maybe we would have more lobbies working with REPUTATION SYSTEM and fully enjoying all the options chosen in the MENU of this wonderful game. Just my 2 cents.

@paulpg87

totally wierd. See last page posts about calibration, just in case.

And wrt to g29 I'm not sure RAW/ROH is the default of if it should be used at all...

After proper calibration do try Tone slide opposites and see if there's a difference.

Then again, I know nothing about current gen consoles and hw compatibility.

I solved with calibration and deadzone removing. Pretty good now.

After getting a good setup for the DS4 and doing some time trial laps on various tracks, I was in sim heaven. Then I tried racing against the AI...

I'm not exaggerating when I say this may be the worst AI I have ever encountered on any racing game. I simply cant understand how they can be this bad. I've watched many many youtube videos of PCARS2 and the AI was much better than what I'm experiencing. I pray that this will be fixed over time and that they will get better and better, but right now racing against the AI is not a good experience.

The menus are very well done and easy to navigate, however the color used to highlight a selection is too close in hue to some of the menu options and requires me to really look to see what is highlighted before I select the option.

Elsewhere the game is generally a pleasure to drive. I can't say I'm seeing how driving errors are more correctable than in PCARS1 though.
I'm on standard PS4 and the game does not look great. It's not atrocious by any means, but it is a LONG way off from the graphical fidelity of say the GTS beta.

Some tracks are impeccably done, while others almost look like the textures have not loaded properly. They just don't look great, especially the road surfaces. There is also a lot of "jaggies" in this game. More than I have seen lately in any other modern title. Not sure whats causing it to look this way, may be something wrong with my console.

Overall, the quality of the handling, physics, and driving is enough to keep me engaged, but I really wish the game was better in those other areas.

After getting a good setup for the DS4 and doing some time trial laps on various tracks, I was in sim heaven. Then I tried racing against the AI...

I'm not exaggerating when I say this may be the worst AI I have ever encountered on any racing game. I simply cant understand how they can be this bad. I've watched many many youtube videos of PCARS2 and the AI was much better than what I'm experiencing. I pray that this will be fixed over time and that they will get better and better, but right now racing against the AI is not a good experience.

Elsewhere the game is generally a pleasure to drive. I can't say I'm seeing how driving errors are more correctable than in PCARS1 though.
I'm on standard PS4 and the game does not look great. It's not atrocious by any means, but it is a LONG way off from the graphical fidelity of say the GTS beta.

Some tracks are impeccably done, while others almost look like the textures have not loaded properly. They just don't look great, especially the road surfaces. There is also a lot of "jaggies" in this game. More than I have seen lately in any other modern title. Not sure whats causing it to look this way, may be something wrong with my console.

Overall, the quality of the handling, physics, and driving is enough to keep me engaged, but I really wish the game was better in those other areas.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts too. Those jaggies are such a distraction to me, and I'm not usually a graphics whore, but I haven't seen rear wing jaggies this bad in a long time. It's so bad there are big white lines of jaggedness all across them, even worse at night. Would love to see some work done here, but I guess the game will suffer elsewhere as a result, but I'd still like it looked at.

Its true some tracks are done better than others - Knockhill look great whereas classic Spa looks lower quality graphics,quite bland,not much detail.

I did however find classic Spa an interesting place since i visited there a few years ago for the F1. Never realised that was the old layout! Eau Rouge is very eerie without all the other buildings.

@RikkiGT-R

May ask ask what do you mean by no brakes? Seriously, I'm a bit tired and may have lost something in translation but no brakes at all is just weird.

I don't remember one car with that problem. If I had to say, something went wrong with calibration or your pedals are set as "combined".

Video version of my first impressions.

Just started watching the vid and I must say the anti-aliasing is noticeably better on PS4 Pro (you used a PS4 pro right?) Almost night and day, very noticeable on the white grid marker lines on the floor for example. Really don't want to upgrade but the difference in visuals is big.

Just started watching the vid and I must say the anti-aliasing is noticeably better on PS4 Pro (you used a PS4 pro right?) Almost night and day, very noticeable on the white grid marker lines on the floor for example. Really don't want to upgrade but the difference in visuals is big.
I am indeed running a PS4 Pro.

Help! I was so looking forward to this game, but as soon as the opening movie started it was clear the graphics weren't as good as the original game. Why would this be? It's glaringly obvious in replays as well, but generally the game is visually inferior. Has anyone experienced the same issue or able to shed some light on this?

I'll state it here as well (or again, losing track a bit :crazy:): the AI issues of 1st-corner pile-ups and ramming from behind are already fixed and will get patched soon.
Glad I saw this, even if it was said before, I clearly missed it.

I also just discovered that replays actually run at 60 FPS on a standard PS4, but only after you pause the replay, go into photo mode, back out of photo mode into the replay and restart it. Very weird but the replay looks and runs much smoother thereafter. Hopefully after the next patch they can run smoothly without that odd work-around.

Guessing it may look better on ps4 pro but has suffered on standard ps4 as a result
Not really as a result. PS4 is just way too slow for what pCARS has under the hood. It’s running better than pCARS 1, but SMS can’t perform miracles. PS4 even when released was slower than midrange PCs, which tells you something, as that has never happened before. Previously consoles were at least on par or better than midrange PCs. Sony and MS just decided to cut a lot of cost and release a substandard product. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are what the consoles should have been really, but that would cost them a pretty penny.

First impression for me using my cheapo Logitec Pro is WOW. I tried the Ford mk1 around Long Beach and I loved it. The road cars feel more like real cars on real tires to me. It's the way the car slides. And the sounds are gorgeous. I'm a little overwhelmed trying everything out. I wasn't expecting the game to be so different.

I also have i7+1080ti combo in VR. What's your supersampling setting? I tried 1.2.
same CPU+GPU. My supersampling is 1.6 and all other setting maxed out. V sync off

I think its really good, I noticed on the replays, standard ps4 here, they can look a bit jerky, but if I pause and go into photomode etc and then go back into replay they are silky smooth, and look 60fps good...A slight issue though is the replays gets stuck where you paused it, you have to rewind a second etc, then it gets going again fine.

Fantastic game this, I love it.. :) :)

I'm playing on a pc with a g27. I set it to raw. How come I can't feel any road bumps, kerbs, or rumble strips?

And I maxed all the ffb sliders, did I forget anything else?

Yep, you forgot to read the text next to the Tone slider. 100 removes all road feel, kerbs etc. 0 removes all SOP and lateral effects. It should be somewhere in, say, the 25-75 range to get a balance of effects that suit you.

@RikkiGT-R

May ask ask what do you mean by no brakes? Seriously, I'm a bit tired and may have lost something in translation but no brakes at all is just weird.

I don't remember one car with that problem. If I had to say, something went wrong with calibration or your pedals are set as "combined".

I dunno, that was just one of the things that's annoying me. I didn't want to sit and write a book of complaints.
To explain -

I tried several cars around Road America earlier, in time trial mode. One car doesn't brake until I push really hard on the pedal (but then it just locks up). Another car locks up at the slightest hint of pedal pressure. Another car is a mixture of both; locks up under light braking but requires heavy braking next time around and there doesn't seem to be any reason why. This is all without changing any settings in between car choice.
I just can't find a happy medium where the cars are doing what I expect.

And even then, all that is only annoying me so much because I can't play career mode at all. I WANT to qualify, but I don't want to have to sit through 30 minutes of meaningless qualifying just so the AI doesn't cheat and take huge amounts off their lap times if I so much as dare "skip to end of session"..

Back