First Reviews coming in...

• Thread starter Yap018
  • 43 comments
Well I must admit I fell for the game and I quite like it. I hope updates will cover little bugs but so far it's nice.

One thing, HOW DO I CHANGE MY VIEW?? I don't want to see the steering wheel and the side window
On PC when you leave the pits or are on track press pause (ESC) and a menu pops up. It's under "View Settings". Guessing it's the same on console.

I have not seen the video but I will caution those who may be new to racing games that Jimmy, like many others, make a lucrative living talking about racing games

They rely on sponsors to give them free equipment and game developers to give them free early copies of the games that we pay for.

I am not specifically referring to him. I'm talking about that entire industry. So, we have to take everything we hear, both positive and negative with a grain of salt and then add it to our own personal experience

I do watch as many videos as I can and I make sure that I get a good broad base so I get everyone's opinion.

That said, I more heavily lean on the opinions of the longtime members here on these forums.
I just noticed the video text says paid for by 505 Games. :lol:

Still, after a few hours on it I'm inclined to agree with much of what he says.

Check this bad boy out its the future! Now thats a wheel set up! You can go night racing all you gotta do is switch the bed room light off lol

Puts into perspective the whining about FPS and FOV doesn't it!

Playing Indy 500 on the Atari 2600 at my friends house, because I didn't have that cartrige had such an effect on my early life that I recently (this year) bought the game and the Indy specific driving paddles. But the first real racing sim I had was REVs on the Commodore 64.. which was fantastic for it's time. It was the rfactor of the mid 80s :)

Playing Indy 500 on the Atari 2600 at my friends house, because I didn't have that cartrige had such an effect on my early life that I recently (this year) bought the game and the Indy specific driving paddles. But the first real racing sim I had was REVs on the Commodore 64.. which was fantastic for it's time. It was the rfactor of the mid 80s :)
Oh you were one of the posh kids eh? us peasants had to trade c60 tapes of zx speccy games

Check this bad boy out its the future! Now thats a wheel set up! You can go night racing all you gotta do is switch the bed room light off lol

Puts into perspective the whining about FPS and FOV doesn't it!

So in the same philosophy of thinking one could say:
"There were no air conditioning in cars in the seventies, so we don't need it now. Let's just keep things as they were. It's all good."

Do you understand that what Kunos did here? They took a step backwards with simulation on consoles offering last gen simulation fps.
That shouldn't be accepted by anyone taking this genre seriously because of the evolution of it.

The sponsored console version reviewers behind their pc's are making the whole situation twisted. Approving a product they eventually ditch because of the better pc version.

So in the same philosophy of thinking one could say:
"There were no air conditioning in cars in the seventies, so we don't need it now. Let's just keep things as they were. It's all good."

Do you understand that what Kunos did here? They took a step backwards with simulation on consoles offering last gen simulation fps.
That shouldn't be accepted by anyone taking this genre seriously because of the evolution of it.

The sponsored console version reviewers behind their pc's are making the whole situation twisted. Approving a product they eventually ditch because of the better pc version.

I think the concept of sarcasm is lost on you my sweet friend rofl

driving games with joystick was deep lol I remember stunt car racer that way lol

Last edited by a moderator:
driving games with joystick was deep lol I remember stunt car racer that way lol
I actually think I may have some of the fastest lap times in the world on Stunt Car :0 after years playing that game I developed a technique to turn in on the bumps at the exit of the corners which made the car stay completely flat on exit with full traction and that made the lap times much much faster. I kept all my records on a sheet of paper, still have them. Legendary game

Oh you were one of the posh kids eh? us peasants had to trade c60 tapes of zx speccy games
Posh kids had C64s?. I'm Australian so the Spectrum wasn't an option. It was never sold here. We had C64s with tapes :0. Wasn't all that expensive, only the 1541 drive was.

Last edited by a moderator:
On PC when you leave the pits or are on track press pause (ESC) and a menu pops up. It's under "View Settings". Guessing it's the same on console.
Sadly there is no such meny on console according to others here. I hope for console users sake that it's just an oversight and will be patched in. Because not having the option to adjust seat or FOV is just a big no-no.

I actually think I may have some of the fastest lap times in the world on Stunt Car :0 after years playing that game I developed a technique to turn in on the bumps at the exit of the corners which made the car stay completely flat on exit with full traction and that made the lap times much much faster. I kept all my records on a sheet of paper, still have them. Legendary game

Time for some regression... the flames from the engine and the tyre animation were great back then simpler times.

Strangely enough didnt cross my mind to be whinging about the FPS or FOV back then... To all the complainers I say this, dont buy ACC or just wait to see if it gets patched. 505 will only learn if you vote with your feet... For me that game only seems like its worth picking up in 12 months when its £10-£15 and fully updated. Games-wise we have never had it better these minor quibbles aside would you want to go back to the 80's? Be thankful for what you've got even if it isnt perfect...

Hold both to look behind-first time I’ve ever seen this in a game..
That's actually a classic method. I remember doing that way back, possibly in stuff like Sports Car GT and the original GTR.

I just noticed the video text says paid for by 505 Games. :lol:

Still, after a few hours on it I'm inclined to agree with much of what he says.
I’m in agreement with you. Like most here on these forums, I’ve watched all the content creators’ videos on this game.

I agree with much of what they. They do try to be unbiased but as you pay close attention you can detect that they are also salespeople and overly highlighting the negative is the quickest way for them to be marginalized by the developers who help them, in various ways, with their profession.

So, to use a boxing phrase, they do tend to “pull punches” and perhaps minimize the negative.

Today I re-watched 2 such videos. I really like the one from Jardier who says he was not given a free review copy but bought his own. I liked his impressions for the most part.

In the other video, made by David Perel (real driver) I was slightly put off when he said “I can’t imagine anyone not buying this game” (or something very near that. I’m going from memory). He did, however open the video saying he has a business relationship with Kunos and we should take what he says with a grain of salt.

For my part, I lean more on what I hear in these forums.

Sadly there is no such meny on console according to others here. I hope for console users sake that it's just an oversight and will be patched in. Because not having the option to adjust seat or FOV is just a big no-no.
That blows. Would probably be a no-buy for me if I was on console.

So I decided to bite the bullet and buy this game and so far, although only a short time into it, I'm enjoying it. With quite a bit of negativity around about the graphics and FPS I was going in without a good outlook but I have to say, it's really not that bad on my base PS 4. It's far better than I was expecting anyway and when I'm focusing on the road (as you should) I haven't noticed the pop-up that you see on youtube clips.

The FFB does seem overly heavy so far but with a bit of fiddling I think it will be alright, but the big surprise (and bonus) to me was all of the knobs on my T-GT are supported for TC, ABS, BB and Engine Mapping.

So far, so good 👍

Video games are a form of art.
When a developer has a vision of what he or she wants to achieve they create a picture in their mind. It’s their talent that ultimately decides what the finished product will be but if they wish to sell then it is equally important to how they choose to display it to others.

I’m no artist and if I myself attempted to paint a picture then the final painting may not quite match up with the vision I had in my head at the start. But I can appreciate art and how it’s presented to me has a bearing on my final opinion on whether I like something or not.

View attachment 933928

There’s no doubt that initially the developers want nothing less than their artwork to be seen in best possible location in the gallery with the best possible lighting to show it off in a way that’s close to the original vision. So it’s surprising then that we see ACC here on current generation consoles.

View attachment 933929

All that hard work that goes into creating your masterpiece counts for little if the frame you eventually show it off In doesn’t do it justice.
And for me at least it’s the frame it’s in that that lets ACC down.

When driving solo around Misano in the 488 GT3 with the thunderous roar of the engine in my ears i found myself thinking about the person or persons that had created the virtual recreation of the track.
There’s no way that they would want their artwork displayed to me in a frame skipping, frame dropping, jumping mess.
They no doubt they poured hours into its creation and so it must hurt them to see it presented in such a way.
View attachment 933939

ACC has potential. It’s physics are up there with the best as are it’s engine sounds which are arguably the pinnacle of what we’ve ever heard on a console.

Graphically, if the title ran smooth it would match other similar titles. I’ve no doubt about that but unfortunately it doesn’t run smoothly at all, in any circumstance, regardless if there’s 20 cars on track or just me hot lapping at mid day without a cloud in the sky.

It’s this that lets it down. Sure there are those people that will tell you that we’re lucky to have it on current generation consoles and the FPS and graphics don’t really matter.
In my view it matters greatly. We’re sat in front of our screens trying to shave milliseconds off our lap times and all we have to go on is what we see, feel and hear.
Out of those what we see has the biggest effect on our experience our performance and ultimately our enjoyment of the game.

View attachment 933941

In the case of ACC the idea was great but it’s the way it’s finally been presented to us that lets it down. For sure it’s not what the developers intended so maybe there’s another reason why we see it on current generation hardware as opposed to next.

Maybe a patch will bring it up to its intended
30FPS in which case it will be perfectly playable like the many many 30FPS racing titles that have gone before it.

However in it’s current state this particular piece of art doesn’t run at 30FPS not a chance it’s locked at 30FPS anyway. It’s suffers from frame pacing issues with large jumps so in this case this particular piece of art seems to be let down by the quality of the frame it’s in which doesn’t seem to be up to the job.
However, other titles with complex physics and detailed graphics run perfectly fine on this generation of console so maybe the engine the game was built on is the issue.

Unless a patch is released I’m unsure if this a game I will persevere with which will likely mean that my wallet will stay tucked firmly in my pocket when the DLC drops in the autumn. For now I’m sticking with it but it’s frustrating with the frame pacing issues.
So, the visuals were a major issue for me. Yesterday morning I tried hotlapping on Suzuka for 30 minutes at 6am light clouds, it was a lot of fun and gave me no issues, stuttering was noticeable. Then last night I tried hotlapping with the Porsche at 5AM at Barthhurst, didn't notice any issues other than when watching a replay.

I then did a race there with a full grid at 5AM in the rain, no issues. It was a lot of fun, I didn't want to stop playing. My suggestion to anyone suffering is to test the game set at the crack of dawn. This game is going to be so good f they can sort all the issues out, and give me my FOV.
If you pause the game you can adjust every option, sound, controller, view etc.

Back