FITT: Blind Tuning Challenge! Congrats to Bowtie-muscle & Otaliema! Tuners Revealed!!

They all seemed very capable when I gave them a shakedown, I don't think there will be much separating the entire field
well it's up to the testers now. Good to know its going to be a tight group again makes it more fun.

It's not your fault, I latched a cable to your rear to get mine to go faster, it's done wonders for mine 👍👍👍 but it may have weighted you down :D.
I thought my car felt heavy the last time I was out in it :lol:

Don't worry man, we are always are own worst critics. Humans have the uncanny ability to find faults in themselves that no other person would ever see. I'm sure we will all do fine. The 'worst' tuner on this site is 100 times better then the public, we are a step ahead from the starting line.

It has been said several times already but once more will not hurt. I cannot stress enough, PLEASE do not give away the identity of your tune after a review has been posted. Let the tester see if they can pick out your tune. However, testing requires time and dedication, be sure to thank each tester after final results are posted. These challenges go nowhere without them.

Thank you! 👍

*I know of one tuner who will not be giving away their identity. :lol:

It has been said several times already but once more will not hurt. I cannot stress enough, PLEASE do not give away the identity of your tune after a review has been posted. Let the tester see if they can pick out your tune. However, testing requires time and dedication, be sure to thank each tester after final results are posted. These challenges go nowhere without them.

Thank you! 👍

*I know of one tuner who will not be giving away their identity. :lol:
question-mark-smiley-emoticon.gif
.. do we post 1 review at a time are all off them in 1 post?

Hi all

Managed to finally find some time to test. Here are my results for the Pro Touring GT class. Hopefully won't shake the podiums up too much. Some great cars produced here. Found Silverstone to be quite a technical track, and I had to adjust quite a bit to ensure good sector times.

As usual, all tunes tested for 10 laps, using DS3 (x throttle, square brake), auto transmission and all aids off except ABS1 and driving line.(Also tried controller sensitivity at 5 to see if I could match @Lionheart2113).

Posted as per tuner post.

@787bcgr
Time - 2:02:053
DC - 7
Some lift off understeer, then oversteer in 2nd gear. Was a good drive though.

@Bowtie-muscle
Time - 2:01:112
DC - 8.5
Struggled a little with understeer. You will need to hit your mark as it's quite unforgiving. Laps 3(2:01:580) and 4(2:01:112) were the ones I managed to hook up but struggled for rhythm after that trying to push for a quicker time.

@DolHaus
Time - 2:00:606
DC - 8
Found it fairly unforgiving, although quick. Locks up the brakes if you try to go too deep. Found some over rotation in the slower corners.

@Motor City Hami
Time - 2:02:108
DC - 8
As mad as a box of frogs. Great car to throw around the track, but too much smoke to set a competetive lap time.

@Otaliema
Time - 2:01:052
DC - 9
Good solid tune. Stable under braking with good turn in. A little throtte control required out of the slower corners. Good effort.

@shaunm80
Time - 2:02:751
DC - 7.5
Having to manage the tail through the slower sections cost lap time with this one. Good under braking with good turn in and rotation.

@sinof1337
Time - 2:01:057
DC - 9.5
Well balanced tune that was easy to run consistent laps in. Only 1 of the 10 was outside 2:01:3. Well done.

@xande1959
Time - 2:01:827
DC - 8.5
Nice tune with a hint of understeer and some throttle control required on exit. Quickest of the Aston's for me. Good effort.

@TurnLeft Here is a review from @biffa3 (our "Pro" tester), this should help give you an idea of how it is generally done.

These figures are not achievable with the given final gear, the proper final gear I believe should be the stock 4.300 gear. (1st and 2nd gear would be maxed to the right)
Just checked it over and it does work

Set final to 5500
Top speed to 168mph
Set in order 6 - 1

(1st and 2nd are all the way over to the right)

16421069575_3bd8ae8ec0_c.jpg

Duel Tuner #1

Car: RX-8 Type S '07
Paint: Matte Dark Silver
Rims: OZ Superforgiate (Black)
Racing Brakes: Painted - Pearlescent - Pathfinder Blue Pearlescent

PP: 450PP
HP: 258 BHP
WEIGHT: 1100kgs
WEIGHT DIST: 50:50
TIRE(S): Sports Hard

GT Auto:
Oil Change - Not Allowed
Rigidity Improvement - Not Allowed
Front Aero - Not Allowed
Wing - Not Allowed
Flat Floor - Not Allowed

SUSPENSION: (Full Custom)
RIDE HEIGHT - 96 / 100
SPRINGS - 8.55 / 9.50
COMP - 6 / 6
EXT - 5 / 8
ARB - 2 / 5
CAMBER - 1.0 / 0.0
TOE - -0.02 / -0.05

BRAKES: (Racing)
Brakes - 5 / 6

TRANS: Full Custom (install all power upgrades first!)
FINAL TO
TOP SPEED TO - 112mph/180kph
1ST - 3.334
2ND -2.600
3RD - 2.069
4TH - 1.703
5TH - 1.449
6TH - 1.279
FINAL - 3.890

LSD: Full Custom
INITIAL - 15
ACCEL - 17
DECEL - 10

CLUTCH TYPE: Twin-Plate
CARBON SHAFT: Yes - Installed
TORQUE CENTERING DIFF: N/A

POWER PARTS:
ENGINE TUNING - Standard
COMPUTER - Sports Computer
EXHAUST - Sports Exhaust
MANIFOLD - Isometric Exhaust Manifold
CATALYTIC CONVERTER - Standard
INTAKE TUNING - Standard
SUPERCHARGER/TURBO - Normal
POWER LIMITER - 90.3%

WEIGHT REDUCTION - Stage 3
CARBON HOOD - Standard
WINDOW WEIGHT - Standard

BALLAST - 13kgs @ Position +13
DOWNFORCE - N/A

NOTE:
Just confirming when I built this car I got 451 PP. When I set 90.2% Power limiter it gets me to 450 was it a typo?

With final set to 5.500 and then top speed to 168mph I get these ranges for my gears:
1ST - 2.115 - 2.867
2ND - 1.494 - 1.966
3RD - 1.124 - 1.407
4TH - 0.886 - 1.088
5TH - 0.731 - 0.850
6TH - 0.537 - 0.707

With final set to 4.300 and top speed to 168mph I get these ranges:
1ST - 2.706 - 3.668
2ND - 1.911 - 2.514
3RD - 1.438 - 1.800
4TH - 1.133 - 1.367
5TH - 0.935 - 1.087
6TH - 0.687 - 0.905

I am stumped on how we are getting different results.

Edit: Just wondering, did you remember to move the top speed since 168 is the stock speed?
I just reset the trans, moved the the final all the way to the right (5500) and then set the gears 6-5-4-3-2-1

So, the Initial final would then be 4.300, otherwise you would have to adjust the top speed.

Edit:

These first 2 steps are crucial to how a transmission is setup, otherwise they cannot be built to the same settings.
You seem to be unnecessarily over complicating things

Reset trans (168mph/4.300) - (Standard procedure)
Set Final gear to 5.500
Set gears

Done 👍

I'm not sure what the issue is here? I have discussed it with the tuner to confirm and was able to recreate their settings with ease, you will get different numbers if you move the max speed but there is no need to move it because its in the right place to start with

The final gear when mentioned here changes the gears when tuning. It should either be 4.300 or be changed to stating reset transmission to stock.

Edit: I understand where you are coming from, but with how the tune is written means to change top speed after the first change of the final gear.
When the transmission is reset these are the values I get for each gear

(RESET/Stock)
Max speed 168mph

1) 3.089 (2.706-3.668)
2) 2.132 (1.911-2.514)
3) 1.580 (1.438-1.800)
4) 1.226 (1.133-1.367)
5) 0.995 (0.935-1.087)
6) 0.846 (0.687-0.905)

Final 4.300 (2.500-5.500)

Now, I set the final to 5.500 as per instructions and leave the top speed alone
I set the gears starting from 6th and working back to 1st

(Tuned)
Max speed 168mph

1) 3.668 (2.706-3.668)
2) 2.514 (1.911-2.514)
3) 1.510 (1.438-1.800)
4) 1.190 (1.133-1.367)
5) 0.993 (0.935-1.087)
6) 0,870 (0.687-0.905)

FINAL - 5,500 (2.500-5.500)

Because the max speed has not been altered the available ratios remain the same, moving the final has no effect

Could you please add the tuners instructions to the transmission then? The way the settings is written requires the top speed to change. Without any other instructions the other testers would run into the same issue as I am presenting.
The instructions don't say anything about changing the top speed, it simply lists the top speed. I will add a (Do not touch after reset) but I hardly feel that it is necessary

GT300 Time Attack Challenge Review by DaBomm4
Tested with ABS 1, no other aids, DS3

Tuner # 1 BRZ
Best Lap: 0:56.204
DC Score: 9
Comments: This tune feels well balanced but sometimes shows a little front understeer. Great control when loosing traction, gearbox is setup very nicely for the car and track.

Tuner # 2 IS350
Best Lap: 0:56.726
DC Score: 8
Comments: There is power understeer and sometimes power oversteer, there also is some lift off rotation.

Tuner # 3 BRZ
Best Lap: 0:56.220
Comments: Decent grip/slip range on acceleration with a few corners showing a little power oversteer, see below. Gearbox felt long and I struggled a little getting use to the shift points at the beginning. (Power understeer, does not want to lose traction through corners under acceleration. Original analysis with me forgetting to change a setting. :banghead:)

Tuner # 4 IS350
Best Lap: 0:56.069
DC Score: 8.5
Comments: The gearbox felt like the biggest killer for me because the car handled very nicely, it just felt like the long gears slowed the acceleration of the car.

Tuner # 5 BRZ
Best Lap: 0:56.318
Comments: Smooth with some understeer, also has some lift off rotation which helps with the understeer. Gearbox is a little long but still efficient with the power.

Tuner # 6 BRZ
Best Lap: 0:56.471
DC Score: 7
Comments: Feels quick with a little front end understeer and a little too stiff in the rear. Tight gearbox, very accurate.

Tuner # 7 IS350
Best Lap: 0:56.761
DC Score: 9.5
Comments: Throttle control is key for this tune, very fun to drive but I struggled to efficiently get the power down fast enough. Acceleration could have been better with a shorter final gear.

Edit: grammar, review complete.

Last edited:
GT300 Time Attack Challenge Unofficial Review by DaBomm4

Tuner # 1 BRZ
Comments: This tune feels well balanced but sometimes shows a little front understeer. Great control when loosing traction, gearbox is setup very nicely for the car and track.

Tuner # 2 IS350
Comments: There is power understeer and sometimes power oversteer, there also is some lift off rotation.

Tuner # 3 BRZ
Comments: Decent grip/slip range on acceleration with a few corners showing a little power oversteer, see below. Gearbox felt long and I struggled a little getting use to the shift points at the beginning. (Power understeer, does not want to lose traction through corners under acceleration. Original analysis with me forgetting to change a setting. :banghead:)

Tuner # 4 IS350
Comments: The gearbox felt like the biggest killer for me because the car handled very nicely, it just felt like the long gears slowed the aceleration of the car.

Tuner # 5 BRZ
Comments: Smooth with some undresteer, also has some lift off rotation which helps with the understeer. Gearbox is a little long but still efficient with the power.

Tuner # 6 BRZ
Comments: Feels quick with a little front end understeer and a little too stiff in the rear. Tight gearbox, very accurate.

Tuner # 7 IS350
Comments: Throttle control is key for this tune, very fun to drive but I struggled to efficiently get the power down fast enough. Acceleration could have been better with a shorter final gear.
Thank you very much for testing and for the review, looks like the whole group is going to be super tight :cheers:

(you can take a guess at who's car was who's if you like but this is not mandatory 👍)

Note to the tuners: You are encouraged to thank the testers and/or throw them a 'Like' but please do not quote specific parts of the post or ask questions about your car until after all the testing is completed 👍

GT300 Time Attack Challenge Unofficial Review by DaBomm4

Tuner # 1 BRZ

Tuner # 2 IS350

Tuner # 3 BRZ

Tuner # 4 IS350
Comments: The gearbox felt like the biggest killer for me because the car handled very nicely, it just felt like the long gears slowed the aceleration of the car.

Tuner # 5 BRZ
Comments: Smooth with some undresteer, also has some lift off rotation which helps with the understeer. Gearbox is a little long but still efficient with the power.

Tuner # 6 BRZ

Tuner # 7 IS350
thank you for the review thought i had worked out those issues. guess hadn't quite gotten them resolved.

One thing I will mention most of us know but just in case;

if you grab a car, tune it, race around over 100 million miles, and post your settings you should be fine.
BUT..........
if you do that, and then reset your transmission and start over with gearing, and then post that, a tester with a car at 0 miles will not be able to match it.
the initial ware and tare does change numbers slightly.
When I post a tune, ANY tune for anything, I make sure I am not at a rediculous amount of miles when I do.
Keep in mind, this is an opinion. every time I have issues like the one way up a few posts, I find this to be a possible cause. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be posting this if I didnt think it was a strong possibility of being the case.

One thing I will mention most of us know but just in case;

if you grab a car, tune it, race around over 100 million miles, and post your settings you should be fine.
BUT..........
if you do that, and then reset your transmission and start over with gearing, and then post that, a tester with a car at 0 miles will not be able to match it.
the initial ware and tare does change numbers slightly.
When I post a tune, ANY tune for anything, I make sure I am not at a rediculous amount of miles when I do.
Keep in mind, this is an opinion. every time I have issues like the one way up a few posts, I find this to be a possible cause. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be posting this if I didnt think it was a strong possibility of being the case.
I'm almost certain that wear and tear has no effect on transmission settings, we have no option for a drivetrain rebuild/replacement so it is fairly safe to assume that it does not deteriorate.

Oil changes, engine rebuilds and wheel sizes have been cited as having an effect on transmission settings but I have never heard of or encountered changes as a result of wear.

Back