FITT: Blind Tuning Challenge! Congrats to Bowtie-muscle & Otaliema! Tuners Revealed!!

All testing done on DS3 with ABS 1 and not in the order posted.

#1 55.393 DC-9.2
the first car I tested that felt built for the track. much easier to drive than the lexus and I could almost use the throttle through the whole turn. it felt like my times should have been coming in a bit quicker than they were. A couple of tweaks here and there would have a near perfect car. Very nice.

#2 55.759 DC-7.7
Turn in was not very crisp, if I went into a corner a bit fast it could not recover. gears were perfectly matched and made corner exit very easy for a MR car.

#3 55.340 DC-9.5
I drove this car right after the #1 car and they are very similar. this tuner made a few of the tweaks that I was thinking about with the other car so i was looking forward to seeing how it behaved. it behaved very well and predictably, especially off throttle. when some of the others would understeer, this one tucked in and rotated well.

#4 55.533 DC-8.6
I think the high downforce and open Diff combo made this the easiest lexus to drive. A safe tune on a MR car made for a decent and repeatable lap time. nice car.

#5 55.194 DC-9.8
my fastest lap was also only my 2nd lap. I instantly felt comfortable with this car. I can't think of any changes I would make except for a couple of clicks higher in the accell setting might let you get on the gas a little bit sooner. all of my laps were within 1/10th of each other. congrats.

#6 55.392 DC-8.6
odd gear setup to me but they worked well. i think the high downforce hurt the lap time because the car would understeer on the last corner not allowing me to carry as much speed through as the other cars. I think it was a hair too safe of a setup and the BRZ would have allowed you to be a bit more aggressive with your settings. not a bad car though at all.

#7 55.620 DC-8
Brakes felt good, probably the best of the bunch. Great and quick turn in. I battled power oversteer coming out of the corner. I really had to focus on carrying as much speed as possible through the corner so I didn't need to be as cautious when using the throttle on exit. It had nice lift off rotation that I expect in a MR car though.

#1 55.393 DC-9.2
the first car I tested that felt built for the track. much easier to drive than the lexus and I could almost use the throttle through the whole turn. it felt like my times should have been coming in a bit quicker than they were. A couple of tweaks here and there would have a near perfect car. Very nice.

#2 55.759 DC-7.7
Turn in was not very crisp, if I went into a corner a bit fast it could not recover. gears were perfectly matched and made corner exit very easy for a MR car.

#3 55.340 DC-9.5
I drove this car right after the #1 car and they are very similar. this tuner made a few of the tweaks that I was thinking about with the other car so i was looking forward to seeing how it behaved. it behaved very well and predictably, especially off throttle. when some of the others would understeer, this one tucked in and rotated well.

#4 55.533 DC-8.6
I think the high downforce and open Diff combo made this the easiest lexus to drive. A safe tune on a MR car made for a decent and repeatable lap time. nice car.

#5 55.194 DC-9.8
my fastest lap was also only my 2nd lap. I instantly felt comfortable with this car. I can't think of any changes I would make except for a couple of clicks higher in the accell setting might let you get on the gas a little bit sooner. all of my laps were within 1/10th of each other. congrats.

#6 55.392 DC-8.6
odd gear setup to me but they worked well. i think the high downforce hurt the lap time because the car would understeer on the last corner not allowing me to carry as much speed through as the other cars. I think it was a hair too safe of a setup and the BRZ would have allowed you to be a bit more aggressive with your settings. not a bad car though at all.

#7 55.620 DC-8
Brakes felt good, probably the best of the bunch. Great and quick turn in. I battled power oversteer coming out of the corner. I really had to focus on carrying as much speed as possible through the corner so I didn't need to be as cautious when using the throttle on exit. It had nice lift off rotation that I expect in a MR car though.
Thank you very much for testing and the review, some fantastic times there :cheers:

@ImToLegitToQuit thank you on the review. looks like you had a blast with the group.
I'll get your times input into the sheet in a little bit. have to beat @LordJCS on Eigar first :lol: Than I will get to testing the Dual class ugg not enough hours in the day.
I'll chase you down at Eiger later, love that track :lol:

#1 55.393 DC-9.2

#2 55.759 DC-7.7

#3 55.340 DC-9.5

#4 55.533 DC-8.6

#5 55.194 DC-9.8

#6 55.392 DC-8.6

#7 55.620 DC-8

Some good times there sir, consistent too.

#1 55.393 DC-9.2

#2 55.759 DC-7.7

#3 55.340 DC-9.5

#4 55.533 DC-8.6

#5 55.194 DC-9.8

#6 55.392 DC-8.6

#7 55.620 DC-8
Nice work maestro 👍, excellent driving and to the point review. I do have one little disapointment :mischievous:, I was sure you would have been able to go down under the 55.000 with one of the cars, I know you did your best 👍 , just thought it would have been real cool :cool:. Now if I can only do justice to your car in the dual :scared:, thanks for the "how to review tips" and take care :cheers:`.

My apologies for not getting any times uploaded so far. My wife came home sick today so have been taking care of her. Provided I do t fall asleep putting the kids down I'll put the times that have been done so far and post the leader board for the groups.

My apologies for not getting any times uploaded so far. My wife came home sick today so have been taking care of her. Provided I do t fall asleep putting the kids down I'll put the times that have been done so far and post the leader board for the groups.
Only a few reviews in so far, wife is more important right now. We know you will do it when you can. :)

Nice work maestro 👍, excellent driving and to the point review. I do have one little disapointment :mischievous:, I was sure you would have been able to go down under the 55.000 with one of the cars, I know you did your best 👍 , just thought it would have been real cool :cool:. Now if I can only do justice to your car in the dual :scared:, thanks for the "how to review tips" and take care :cheers:`.
Thanks man, and you're welcome. I chalk it up to the tires. There's no progressive loss of grip on racing tires. It's grip, grip, grip, and then without warning it's gone. I hate em.

Need a side kick, I have tools. Better than the cars I have been working on lately. Try a rust bucket, unfit for the road '87 Ford Bronco. Or an 02 Corolla with 216k on it. Yeah, fun times.:grumpy:

All I can say to you is :P
Hey thouse are the work force cars. So the rich ones can buy the ones that @ImToLegitToQuit works on :lol:
I wanted a bronco for a long time till I found out they got 8 miles to the gallon lol.

I own a Mazda Tribute, with 60k miles.
Love the ride, not too expencive, and its AWD/4WD.
(The thing LOVES snow. I have been up to 6-7 inches unplowed and you lower it to low-2 and it ate the road up nice nice.)
But I live in Maine, so I had to go with something that can take the weather.
Still wish I had, well, something MOPAR would be nice, for summer. :)

(The thing LOVES snow. I have been up to 6-7 inches unplowed and you lower it to low-2 and it ate the road up nice nice.)
I think one of the Dodge stealth models is AWD as its a rebadged 3000 GT VR4

Sorry but I have to, you do know what MOPAR stands for right,............

My
Old
Pig
Ain't
Running

:lol::lol::lol: Could not resist, sorry. And I am sure you are sicker than I am with all the snow lately. You have been getting more than us.

They don't get miles to the gallon, more like gallons to the mile.:D
Hmm swhat true like my old bosses car, GTO Judge 2 gallons to the mile with the headers installed. Forget how much power he had but was just street legal.

Sorry but I have to, you do know what MOPAR stands for right,............

My
Old
Pig
Ain't
Running

:lol::lol::lol: Could not resist, sorry. And I am sure you are sicker than I am with all the snow lately. You have been getting more than us.
I ain't heard that one before gonna have to store that one. 👍
Hmm which ones do I know off hand...
Found
On
Road
Dead

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

How do you ford a dodge?
In a Chevy

I dont remember the ones for dodge or chevy off hand.Dang it would never know I worked in automotive for 10 years :banghead:

Hmm swhat true like my old bosses car, GTO Judge 2 gallons to the mile with the headers installed. Forget how much power he had but was just street legal.

I ain't heard that one before gonna have to store that one. 👍
Hmm which ones do I know off hand...
Found
On
Road
Dead

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

How do you ford a dodge?
In a Chevy

I dont remember the ones for dodge or chevy off hand.Dang it would never know I worked in automotive for 10 years :banghead:
Fast Only Rolling Downhill

Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques

my f150 is at 190K and i've only replaced the alternator, 1 brake disc, and 2 batteries. I need to put front shocks on it now but it's good for another 200K. i don't need a truck anymore but it's nice not having a car payment.

The Dual
16264430726_cc3d1e62ab_z.jpg
@Bowtie-muscle, @brian wolf, @DaBomm4, @DrEmmettBrown, @Gino Caberlin, @ImToLegitToQuit, @praiano63, @Ridox2JZGTE, @shaunm80, Unknown Tuner, @xande1959

I took all the cars on two separate runs of 10 laps or more, the first one to get too know them, and the second to try to beat my previous Best Lap. If I haven’t set a new lap record in the last 5 laps I stop after 10, if I did I continue until I can’t beat my time for 5 consecutive laps ( thanks Imtolegit for that ) I did Run-1, cars 1 to 11, than Run-2, Cars 1 to 11. I drive abs/1, driving line on, and all rest off, PS3 Controller, Control Steering Sensitivity at 0, and MT.

Tuner 1 - RX8 Type S ’07 - Matte Dark Silver

1:11.460 - DC.7.5 - Let the car turn in freely and be patient out of curves and this car will be beautiful, try to show it who’s boss and you’ll be in trouble. Not a car for a beginner but I found it real fun to drive and quite stable if you don’t over push, just found the last gear too long. The majority of my laps were below 1:11.697 . On my first run I did 1:11.894

Tuner 2 - S2000 ’06 - Bermuda Blue Pearl

1:12.213 - DC.7.0 - Felt rock solid on the track, good grip, good acceleration out of curves. Took curves to wide, not enough rotation. Doesn’t handle rumble strips well. Very easy car to drive and keep on the track. On my first run I did 1:12.902 .

Tuner 3 - RX8 Type S ’07 - Sunlight Silver Metalic

1:10.725 - DC.8.5 - Super car, the sad thing is if I took all my best sectors and added them up I’d be at 1:10.200 which would be pretty close to the 1:09.999 that I was aiming for. With the quality of this car the only fault there is, is the driver. My first run I did 1:10.940 .

Tuner 4 - RX8 Type S ’07 - Jaune Sirius

1:10.788 - DC.8.2 - What can I say, I love this car, rotates well, has just enough grip, forgives me from over pushing it. great job. First run time was 1:10.800. I think that on a perfect lap by me it would be 1:10.450 . Sorry I couldn’t do it because I really was aiming for that, just kept making mistakes at the wrong time.

Tuner 5 - S2000 ’06 - New Formula Red

1:11.384 - DC.8.0 - I took me a little while to get the feel for this one, my biggest problem was out of curve acceleration, I just found it to long before I could give it full power. It’s also sensitive to rumble strips, the steering is responsive and once I got the hang of it I burnt 6 straight laps in the 1:11.xxx . Very good work on the S2000. My first run was 1:12.166, so there was a big improvement on my second run.

Tuner 6 - RX8 Type S ’07 - WR Blue Mica

1:10.899 - DC.8.0 - Drives with a good grip, in fact it does everything well, I just can’t seem to get it any faster no matter what I tried. My time from my first run 1:10.987 , I was sure I could knock off at least 0.200 of a second off so I’m quite disappointed with myself that I didn’t get any better. Very good car, and quite a safe sturdy drive with that, if I would change one thing it would be the out of curve acceleration

Tuner 7 - RX8 Type S ’07 - GT6 Polarized 033

1:10.475 - DC.9.0 - WOW, that’s it, nothing left to say. My first run was 1:11.193 . Oh one thing to add, on my best lap I went in the tunnel with 2 wheels on the sidewalk, kept it steady and out with no damage, must have been an inch from the wall, might have lost some time there. (sorry)

Tuner 8 - S2000 ’06 - Midnight Purple

1:11.644 - DC.8.4 - I gave this one a high DC because I had so much fun with it, out of my first ten laps 8 of them were new best laps. This cars slips, slides, burns rubber with no regards, could be tweaked easily for drifting but manages to be pretty fast (for a S2000). Maybe if I would have calmed down I might have done better lap times, but maybe this is how to get this fun machine from start to finish. I love it, might not be the fastest but who cares when your driving this. On my first run my lap time was 1:12.697 , 1 second better, don’t bother, I already gave myself a pat on the back.

Tuner 9 - RX8 Type S ’07 - Black (any one )

1:10.666 - DC.8.3 - It took me 7 laps on my second run before I did my best time, I had trouble finding my coasting line in turn 1 & 2, when I did, my lap time dropped by .500 second. I found it felt weighty, like after eating too much on great meal. The brakes are fantastics and saved me quite a few times. I don’t think I was able to exploit the full potential of this car, my second best time but it didn’t feel like it. So who ever did this car, great fast car but could be even greater with someone who could feel it better than me. My first run was 1:11.388

Tuner 10 - RX8 Type S ’07 - Silver Sunlight

1:10.627 - DC.8.6 - Very easy and predictable until you you cross the invisible line of disaster. The first word that comes to my mind is smooth, excellent car, my new second best time (just beat tuner 9). On my first run I did 1:10.843

Tuner 11 - S2000 ’06 - Royal Navy Blue

1:12.159 - DC.7.3 - Nice easy going car as long as you don’t try to over push it, I think you could get 1:11.9xx with it but you’d be on the brink of disaster. It’s major flaw is that it’s not fast enough. On my first run my time was 1:12.663

Conclusion
The biggest difference I found between the S2000 and the RX8 was when coasting ( off throttle) the RX8 would stay very steady and lose very little speed, the S2000 would push out making the tires heat up thus slowing you down on acceleration, just my opinion.

Great work my fellow tuners, I really like this formula of reviewing and not knowing who's car it is, sort of takes a little pressure of you.

Thank you Bowtie-muscle & DolHaus, beautiful challenge 👍👍👍.

GT300 Time Attack Challenge Unofficial Review by DaBomm4
Tested with ABS 1, no other aids, DS3

Tuner # 1 BRZ
Best Lap: 0:56.204
DC Score: 9
Comments: This tune feels well balanced but sometimes shows a little front understeer. Great control when loosing traction, gearbox is setup very nicely for the car and track.

Tuner # 2 IS350
Best Lap: 0:56.726
DC Score: 8
Comments: There is power understeer and sometimes power oversteer, there also is some lift off rotation.

Tuner # 3 BRZ
Best Lap: 0:56.220
Comments: Decent grip/slip range on acceleration with a few corners showing a little power oversteer, see below. Gearbox felt long and I struggled a little getting use to the shift points at the beginning. (Power understeer, does not want to lose traction through corners under acceleration. Original analysis with me forgetting to change a setting. :banghead:)

Tuner # 4 IS350
Best Lap: 0:56.069
DC Score: 8.5
Comments: The gearbox felt like the biggest killer for me because the car handled very nicely, it just felt like the long gears slowed the aceleration of the car.

Tuner # 5 BRZ
Best Lap: 0:56.318
Comments: Smooth with some understeer, also has some lift off rotation which helps with the understeer. Gearbox is a little long but still efficient with the power.

Tuner # 6 BRZ
Best Lap: 0:56.471
DC Score: 7
Comments: Feels quick with a little front end understeer and a little too stiff in the rear. Tight gearbox, very accurate.

Tuner # 7 IS350
Best Lap: 0:56.761
DC Score: 9.5
Comments: Throttle control is key for this tune, very fun to drive but I struggled to efficiently get the power down fast enough. Acceleration could have been better with a shorter final gear.

Edit: grammar.

That would explain it then!! Looks like Mazda got the PD love instead of the Honda, was expecting a much closer contest.

Here are my results for The Duel

@Bowtie-muscle , @brian wolf , @DaBomm4 , @DrEmmettBrown , @Gino Caberlin , @ImToLegitToQuit , @praiano63 , @Ridox2JZGTE , @shaunm80 , @xande1959 and Unknown Tuner

All tunes tested for 10 laps with DS3 (d-pad, x and square for go and stop), and auto transmission. All aids off except driving line and ABS1

Listed as posted in tuners post.

Tuner 1
Time - 1:11:337
DC - 7
Not very forgiving. Miss your marks and you won't recover. Watch out for over rotation and the rear coming round on you.

Tuner 2
Time - 1:12:309
DC - 7
Stable tune with some oversteer. Lack of a custom transmission hurt lap time.

Tuner 3
Time - 1:11:300
DC - 8
Nice stable tune that gets upset by the kerbs. Good turn in and rotation and easy to get the power down.

Tuner 4
Time - 1:11:120
DC - 8.5
Nice stable tune with good turn in and rotation. Easy to throw into corners. Good effort.

Tuner 5
Time - 1:11:616
DC - 8
Good under braking with some understeer present. easy to get the power down. Far and away the best of the Honda's for me.

Tuner 6
Time - 1:11:015
DC - 9
A fast and easy tune to get round the track. Solid under braking with good turn in and rotation. Can get upset by the kerbs so stay away.

Tuner 7
Time - 1:11:063
DC - 10
Excellent well balanced tune. Good under braking, easy to get the power down and great through the corners. Bravo sir.

Tuner 8
Time - 1:12:069
DC - 7
Good under braking but some over rotation. Easy to get the power down but felt a little under powered compared to the other Honda's.

Tuner 9
Time - 1:10:988
DC - 9
A little looser than the others. Good turn in and rotation with a hint of controllable oversteer. Last five laps were all low 1:11's with lap 9 dipping into the 1:10's. Good effort.

Tuner 10
Time - 1:11:361
DC - 7
Took a while to get used to this one. Felt quite stiff and had some understeer. Prefers braking in a straight line rather than into the corner. Provided a good lap time.

Tuner 11
Time - 1:12:223
Dc - 7
A decent drive but locked up under heavy breaking, then some understeer. Again seemed under powered compared to the fastest Honda.

#1 55.393 DC-9.2

#2 55.759 DC-7.7

#3 55.340 DC-9.5

#4 55.533 DC-8.6

#5 55.194 DC-9.8

#6 55.392 DC-8.6

#7 55.620 DC-8

@Bowtie-muscle, @brian wolf, @DaBomm4, @DrEmmettBrown, @Gino Caberlin, @ImToLegitToQuit, @praiano63, @Ridox2JZGTE, @shaunm80, Unknown Tuner, @xande1959

I took all the cars on two separate runs of 10 laps or more, the first one to get too know them, and the second to try to beat my previous Best Lap. If I haven’t set a new lap record in the last 5 laps I stop after 10, if I did I continue until I can’t beat my time for 5 consecutive laps ( thanks Imtolegit for that ) I did Run-1, cars 1 to 11, than Run-2, Cars 1 to 11. I drive abs/1, driving line on, and all rest off, PS3 Controller, Control Steering Sensitivity at 0, and MT.

1:11.460 - DC.7.5 - Let the car turn in freely and be patient out of curves and this car will be beautiful, try to show it who’s boss and you’ll be in trouble. Not a car for a beginner but I found it real fun to drive and quite stable if you don’t over push, just found the last gear too long. The majority of my laps were below 1:11.697 . On my first run I did 1:11.894

1:12.213 - DC.7.0 - Felt rock solid on the track, good grip, good acceleration out of curves. Took curves to wide, not enough rotation. Doesn’t handle rumble strips well. Very easy car to drive and keep on the track. On my first run I did 1:12.902 .

1:10.725 - DC.8.5 - Super car, the sad thing is if I took all my best sectors and added them up I’d be at 1:10.200 which would be pretty close to the 1:09.999 that I was aiming for. With the quality of this car the only fault there is, is the driver. My first run I did 1:10.940 .

1:10.788 - DC.8.2 - What can I say, I love this car, rotates well, has just enough grip, forgives me from over pushing it. great job. First run time was 1:10.800. I think that on a perfect lap by me it would be 1:10.450 . Sorry I couldn’t do it because I really was aiming for that, just kept making mistakes at the wrong time.

1:11.384 - DC.8.0 - I took me a little while to get the feel for this one, my biggest problem was out of curve acceleration, I just found it to long before I could give it full power. It’s also sensitive to rumble strips, the steering is responsive and once I got the hang of it I burnt 6 straight laps in the 1:11.xxx . Very good work on the S2000. My first run was 1:12.166, so there was a big improvement on my second run.

1:10.899 - DC.8.0 - Drives with a good grip, in fact it does everything well, I just can’t seem to get it any faster no matter what I tried. My time from my first run 1:10.987 , I was sure I could knock off at least 0.200 of a second off so I’m quite disappointed with myself that I didn’t get any better. Very good car, and quite a safe sturdy drive with that, if I would change one thing it would be the out of curve acceleration

1:10.475 - DC.9.0 - WOW, that’s it, nothing left to say. My first run was 1:11.193 . Oh one thing to add, on my best lap I went in the tunnel with 2 wheels on the sidewalk, kept it steady and out with no damage, must have been an inch from the wall, might have lost some time there. (sorry)

1:11.644 - DC.8.4 - I gave this one a high DC because I had so much fun with it, out of my first ten laps 8 of them were new best laps. This cars slips, slides, burns rubber with no regards, could be tweaked easily for drifting but manages to be pretty fast (for a S2000). Maybe if I would have calmed down I might have done better lap times, but maybe this is how to get this fun machine from start to finish. I love it, might not be the fastest but who cares when your driving this. On my first run my lap time was 1:12.697 , 1 second better, don’t bother, I already gave myself a pat on the back.

1:10.666 - DC.8.3 - It took me 7 laps on my second run before I did my best time, I had trouble finding my coasting line in turn 1 & 2, when I did, my lap time dropped by .500 second. I found it felt weighty, like after eating too much on great meal. The brakes are fantastics and saved me quite a few times. I don’t think I was able to exploit the full potential of this car, my second best time but it didn’t feel like it. So who ever did this car, great fast car but could be even greater with someone who could feel it better than me. My first run was 1:11.388

1:10.627 - DC.8.6 - Very easy and predictable until you you cross the invisible line of disaster. The first word that comes to my mind is smooth, excellent car, my new second best time (just beat tuner 9). On my first run I did 1:10.843

1:12.159 - DC.7.3 - Nice easy going car as long as you don’t try to over push it, I think you could get 1:11.9xx with it but you’d be on the brink of disaster. It’s major flaw is that it’s not fast enough. On my first run my time was 1:12.663

Conclusion
The biggest difference I found between the S2000 and the RX8 was when coasting ( off throttle) the RX8 would stay very steady and lose very little speed, the S2000 would push out making the tires heat up thus slowing you down on acceleration, just my opinion.

Great work my fellow tuners, I really like this formula of reviewing and not knowing who's car it is, sort of takes a little pressure of you.

All times have been entered. Please check make sure I didn't dyslexic switch something 👍
Great driving guys the podiums are super close.
Below are the Podiums for Lap time and DC for both classes.

GVE R Lap Time Podium
1 Tuner #8 1:10.769 +00.000
2 Tuner #10 1:10.827 +00.058
3 Tuner #5 1:10.954 +00.185
4 Tuner #7 1:10.957 +00.188
5 Tuner #11 1:10.994 +00.225

Drivers Choice Podium
1 Tuner #8 9.50
2 Tuner #10 8.65
3 Tuner #7 8.50
4 Tuner #5 8.35
5 Tuner #4 8.25

Fastest Lap at GVE R
1:10.475; Tuner #8's tune Driven By Turnleft

Tsukuba Lap Time Podium
1 Tuner #5 0:55.756 +00.000
2 Tuner #3 0:55.780 +00.024
3 Tuner #1 0:55.799 +00.043
4 Tuner #4 0:55.801 +00.045
5 Tuner #6 0:55.932 +00.176

Drivers Choice Podium
1 Tuner #1 9.10
2 Tuner #5 8.90
3 Tuner #3 8.75
4 Tie Tie
5 Tuner #4 8.55

Fastest Lap at Tsukuba
0:55.194; Tuner #5's tune Driven By ImToLegitToQuit

Conclusion

Well done Mater, great job:tup:

Conclusion

fantastic job man. can't get more thorough than that.

Conclusion

Forgot to mention great driving man, solid and consistent. I hope they didn't drive too batty. ;) The Gt300's are going to be a blast for you, lets hope not litterly, I mean where elese are we going to find our comic relief for CoTM?

Well done Mater, great job:tup:
He opened the door and walked right into that one didn't he :lol:

Back