FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

Can't on the touring car
You're off on the touring cars huh? I'm anxiously waiting for your times from Matterhorn, or should I say Death Mountain. Thinking about lowering the controller sensitivity, but awaiting your results....

You're off on the touring cars huh? I'm anxiously waiting for your times from Matterhorn, or should I say Death Mountain. Thinking about lowering the controller sensitivity, but awaiting your results....

That's likely to next, but won't have times posted till middle of next week I reckon.

I wanted to know if instead remain as test for SCCA Improved Touring Class Apricot Hill ??
I have a little time these days and I really like the FITT is a very good Learning and beautiful encounter, full of great and talented guys on this topic 👍

It will based on this replica, easy low 1:34 at Apricot Hill.

Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS ( NB,J ) '98 Turbo ( FITT MIATA Challenge version )

Tuned for Sports Hard

CAR : Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS ( NB,J ) '98
Tire : Sports Hard

Specs
Horsepower: 200 HP at 7200 RPM
Torque : 209.6 ft-lb at 4400 RPM
Power Limiter at : 91.5%
Weight: 925 kg
Ballast : 50 kg
Ballast Position : 19
Weight Distribution : 52 / 48 - corrected weight distribution as in real life.
Performance Points: 431

GT AUTO
NO Oil change
Improve Body Rigidity ( NOT INSTALLED )
Wheels : +1 Inch Up, RAYS TE37SL in Matte Dark Silver
Car Paint : Matte Light Red

Tuning Parts Installed :
Engine Tuning Stage 1
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Intake Tuning
Mid RPM Range Turbo Kit
Adjustable LSD
Triple Plate Clutch Kit
Carbon Drive Shaft
Fully Customizable Suspension
Weight Reduction Stage 3

Suspension - SPEC MIATA Spring + BILSTEIN Damper
Front, Rear

Ride Height: 100 101
Spring Rate: 12.50 5.80
Dampers (Compression): 2 3
Dampers (Extension): 5 6
Anti-Roll Bars: 7 7
Camber Angle: 0.0 0.0
Toe Angle: -0.15 0.15

LSD - 1.5 way
Initial Torque : 15
Acceleration Sensitivity: 20
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Brake Balance:
9/9 ( personal BB) or for ABS 0 wheel : 9/9, for ABS 1 - 9/9 or feel free to use your preferred brake balance.

Recommended setting for DS3 user :

Steering sensitivity at +1 or +2 and up to +5, all aids off, except ABS 1 ( if not comfortable with ABS 0 ) with 9/9 brake balance as starting point.

Notes :

This is a rare NB Miata with 6.5K redline :) I chose this NB Turbo replica as a base for FITT Miata Challenge Improved Touring Class. Tuned to 200HP and 925kg, the car still retains replica weight distribution and almost the same LSD setup. Suspension however has been overhauled, using SPEC MIATA spring and Bilstein SM Damper replica, while ARB has been tweaked for maximum strength for high speed cornering. Ride height kept at 100mm to avoid bottom out on the last uphill chicane.

Transmission is still stock, I chose this as I felt the ratios are fine for Apricot Hill. For power, I used mid range RPM Turbo. Intake Tuning and Isometric Exhaust Manifold to boost torque as high as possible within 200HP and 90% power limit ( 29kgfm at 4400rpm :eek: ). Racing Exhaust also chosen for increasing rev range and improve high rpm acceleration. Shift point should be just before 7000 RPM ( redline ).

Brakes also standard issue, with increased brake balance at 9/9 to maintain braking ability at this high speed track.

My not so quick Co driver who uses ABS 1 :P, easily managed consistent 1:34s lap. My aim for this tune is not outright lap time, but to give the car certain character :D A great lap with the car will see 1:33s, 30s or maybe less 1st sector and 1:04s or less last sector.

The Co Driver notes :embarrassed: :
The car can brake very late on the 1st long left corner, this will be the deciding section whether the lap will be quick or not, nail this with good exit speed and maintain 130+kmh onto the next right, over 140kmh at middle of the big esses, exiting at 130+kmh. Enter the long left curve reaching 165+kmh to 170kmh, maintain speed above 145+kmh on the apex and full throttle till exit before hitting close to 200kmh on the long straight ready to brake into the right hairpin. The hairpin can be hit with good speed at around 80+kmh, exiting on full gas to the uphill right, reaching close to 170kmh before braking smoothly to the last uphill chicane, a good entry and exit will see a high speed entry to the final left before final straight to the finish ( can be had on full throttle )

EDIT : Corrected weight reduction part.

Hi Ridox,
no gearbox on your customizable tuning and no racing brake kit ??

Results for Roadster Touring Car class

If I spend a bit of time away from Silverstone it can only be a good thing!!
It seemed at one point that the more laps I did, the slower I got!

All cars ran for 10 laps. All aids off except for driving line and ABS1. Tested using DS3 (pad not stick) with Auto Transmission.

@donpost Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:09:085
DC - 7
Good solid tune. Couldn't really find anything wrong, although it wasn't all that quick.

@iainoflo85 Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:07:408
DC - 9
Good going in, and good getting out, with slightly frustrating understeer. Only frustrating because without it the car would be a match for the quickest here.

@kapnk006 Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:07:282
DC - 7
A little twitchy under heavy braking, and the usual understeer replaced by oversteer. It is managebale though once you get used to it. Good effort.

@krenkme Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:08:694
DC - 7
A balanced tune with a hint of understeer. Stable under braking and can get on the power with confidence. Another one I wanted to be quicker, but couldn't get any more out of it.

@Otaliema Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:08:784
DC - 7
Another well balanced tune, but seemed to suffer the same fate as krenkme's. Just couldn't get a quick time.

@praiano63 Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:06:577
DC - 10
This car just eats up corners. You can be really aggresive with braking and acceleration and it'll respond nicely. Bravo sir.

@xande1959 Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:08:239
DC - 8
Good solid tune. Stable under braking and easy to get the power down. Maybe a hint of understeer but didn't cause much trouble. Another that suffered on lap time though.

@Motor City Hamilton Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:07:722
DC - 8
Nice and stable under braking and you can get on the power with confidence. As with iainoflo's tune, the understeer was frustrating because without it lap times would be up there.

@shaunm80 Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:09:915
DC - 7
The handling was good enough. Good under braking and acceleration. Couldn't get a quick lap out of it though, possibly killed by the extra weight. Don't think the gearbox was optimised for driving with auto transmission.

Last edited:
@biffa3 Thank you for testing. As for the understeer well I thought it was fine when tuning, but only noticed when I compared it with the others in testing.

But glad you liked it anyway. 👍

after some consideration I'm going to try and test the last two groups.
I will for sure test the Roadster Touring Car tunes
and I feel upto it i'll test the improved road touring cars as well. it's the largest group on the most demanding track, so yeah lol
starting on the Roadster Touring Car tonight will be several days before results are up.

[Quote = "DigitalBaka, après: 9430013, membre: 175922"] Ajouté @ [USER = 149348] killerjimbag [/ USER] @ [USER = 249765] backnfourth [/ USER] et @ [USER = 167019] JackWilson [/ USER] mes résultats Spec Miata. Espérant terminer ce congé demain et la tête à la catégorie suivante. [/ Quote]

Hi Baka,
can you add me to the list of testers SCCA Miata 200HP Apricot Hill please ??
I begin to making the car and start the test tomorrow or Monday...
thank you good day :)

SCCA Improved Touring Class

Car of Choice:
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800RS (NB,J) '04

200hp Max
925kg Min

Driving Options
Driving Line: OFF
Blind Spot Indicator: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
Traction Control: 0
Active Stability Management (ASM): OFF
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS): 1
Skid Recovery Force (SRF): OFF
Controller Sensitivity: 5

NOTE:
Tuned using DS3 controller, dpads, "X" throttle, square brake, and automatic transmission.
Tuned for Apricot Hill
Best Lap Time: 1:33.440

Color: Lava Orange Pearlescent
Rims: Inch UP: 1 (OZ Racing Italia 150)

View attachment 119217
View attachment 119218

I'm torn between 2 transmission setups. The one I have on the tune sheet is great for downshift braking (key for auto transmissions) and it has great low gear torque. The other...well let's just say that Krenkme would be proud!! Not sure my controller can handle anymore of it, it's still recovering from his 300 tune from GT5. I'm wondering how it handles for those of you that use wheels/manual.

Transmission option (just for fun)
Set Final to 75% of slider
Set Max Speed to Min
Set 6th Gear to Max
Set Final Gear to 3.500
Spread Gears....
1st gear - 3.275 (40%)
2nd gear - 2.450 (52%)
3rd gear - 1.900 (64%)
4th gear - 1.535 (76%)
5th gear - 1.280 (88%)
6th gear - 1.110 (100%)
Take to the track and hold on!!!

PS: to FITT Admins... If there is a standard way of posting tunes, I would be more than happy to change my layout to match any template so it's easier for everyone. If I've forgotten anything, please let me know. I have about a week before I'm back to China. Thanks everyone, take care, and have fun!

Hi LionHeart,
not specify whether it is racing brake kit on your adjustment ??

Hi LionHeart,
Thanks for pointing that out...looks like the spreadsheet needs even more modifying. I don't think there is any major difference, as far as I've tested, but let's go with racing....just in case!:cheers:

Hi Shaunm,
I see that your adjustment of the SCCA 200HP for Apricot Hill displays a weight of 980KG he is allowed to 925KG, it may affect the test result not ??
all the same 55KG more :odd:
I just want to know, I is not even tested !!!
thanks
Yeah. Thats the way I tuned it. Learnt for the next competition that I have a leaner, meaner car for whatever the competition is. :)

Thanks for pointing that out...looks like the spreadsheet needs even more modifying. I don't think there is any major difference, as far as I've tested, but let's go with racing....just in case!:cheers:
Racing brakes are in the first grey set of boxes. Lol

Spec Miata is done apart from @demonchilde , might take a while longer to finish all the tunes. I will leave that for tomorrow as I need to be up early and don't want to sit upright anymore. :P I sound old. :indiff:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NTY1RkUl83c0t1XzRjZHhYOWc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

EDIT: Currently I have open editing on the sheet. If anyone sees something amiss please feel free to change it. And if you feel like taking on the other tabs have at it! :D
Hi LionHeart,
DigitalBaka's list for Improved Touring class should be correct here, it should make it a little easier on you.

FITT Miata Tuner Challenge
Hosted by Keith “Motor City” Hamilton

12647839414_956deab419.jpg

I have to say thank you to my friends in FITT for allowing me the honor of hosting this Miata tuner challenge. I spent an hour looking through six years of photos from racing in the SCCA Spec Miata series and a flood of really great memories came over me. I cannot wait for all of this snow to melt and for the 2014 racing season to start. I have two sets of new tires just waiting to be abused.

12647487343_e537a6af61.jpg

First, I had a mission in mind when I picked the cars and the four classes. Mazda has been very active in the United States at trying to develop a ladder system from beginner to pro for road racing. Most of the professional racing drivers in the U.S., well, at least the ones who can actually make a good living from it, all drive in circles. Yep, NASCAR, with a large audience made up of beer bellied hillbillies that drive large television ratings because, well, who watches a lot of TV.

Road racing fans who once called Speed Channel home on Sunday afternoons are now left to hunt the internet to find any legal or illegal stream of road racing, just to get our fix since Speed became the Ultimate Fighting Championship network. That was the day I cancelled cable, but I digress.

So, I built this tuning challenge to somewhat mirror the spirit of Mazda’s ladder program. Beginners start out in Spec Miata and work their way up through faster cars to finally reach the ranks of pro road racing. Tuners may pick any two of the four classes, but Spec Miata is reserved for beginners. FITT tuner challenge podium finishers from the past may only pick from the top three groups.

SCCA Spec Miata

12647119693_947619f7d1.jpg

Spec Miata is designed to give the average Joe the opportunity to go road racing on a budget. It is possible to find a donor car (maybe dead in your work parking lot) and give it a second life as a race car. I like to think that my Miata is enjoying its second life way better than its first.

12646883333_26c5911a4c.jpg

If you have even basic skills with wrenches, a Spec Miata can be built in one's home garage.

12646900833_eb3f31e6d7.jpg

12646898533_e90d500c80.jpg

12647276604_6af93f2b01.jpg

12647235095_cf63c33d2c.jpg

12647345384_b23a41694c.jpg

It is as much about family as it is about the racing.

12647318325_04632b705c.jpg

12647305843_4167a64257.jpg

The racing is real. With fields of 25, 35, 45 and even up to 80 cars, we line up, wheel to wheel, driver against driver and somehow, usually, all make it through turn one.

8863416876_4d79904df1.jpg

12647426543_c2bb5fdfd1.jpg

Road racing was a dream of mine since I was a small child. I have raced slot cars, BMX, go karts, remote controlled, video games, autocross and then finally, at the age of 35, I realized that childhood dream and went road racing.

12647638074_7078d83ac2.jpg

It is a ton of work...

12647043195_8c0b836f85.jpg

but it is ohhhh soooo worth it.

12647527704_de9f1a52a9.jpg
Hey Keith,
Love the photos. I like to think you're enjoying Motorsport instead of getting frustrated in Motor RACING. There's a big difference between the two in my book.
I've been to circuits to see all the stars & name drivers in the big teams for 30 years but I've witnessed the true meaning of Motorsport at the club level.

I'm guessing there have been times where you've come to the rescue of a fellow competitor with that much needed part do that they may finish the weekend. I also have no doubt the shoe has been in the other foot at times.

I hope you'll keep us posted with the results you see on the track when the snow melts.

Hey Keith,
Love the photos. I like to think you're enjoying Motorsport instead of getting frustrated in Motor RACING. There's a big difference between the two in my book.
I've been to circuits to see all the stars & name drivers in the big teams for 30 years but I've witnessed the true meaning of Motorsport at the club level.

I'm guessing there have been times where you've come to the rescue of a fellow competitor with that much needed part do that they may finish the weekend. I also have no doubt the shoe has been in the other foot at times.

I hope you'll keep us posted with the results you see on the track when the snow melts.

Absolutely spot on. I even help the newer racers with set ups. I would rather have ten of us racing up front for the podium than see one or two people break from the pack every time.

Street Touring Class

Track: Matterhorn Rotenboden (2.22mi)

Track Settings: Grip Reduction = Real

Driving Setup: DS3, D-pads, “X” throttle, square brake, & Automatic transmission

Driving Options
Driving Line: OFF
Blind Spot Indicator: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
Traction Control: 0
Active Stability Management (ASM): OFF
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS): 1
Skid Recovery Force (SRF): OFF
Controller Sensitivity: 5

Just a quick explanation here. After the first hour of testing/wrecking, I decided to give this test a different approach. I found that going full boar did more harm than good, so it got me thinking...how would I go about racing people on this track? There's not too many passing opportunities and one wheel in the grass can spell big trouble. Answer is simple, being smooth, consistent, and steady. These times listed aren't going to set any track records, I'll admit, but I think they represent a good pace. And if anyone disagrees with my philosophy, "Bite Me" I'm sorry, that's not me, that's Death Mountain talking!:D But in all seriousness, great job to all of the tuners and thank you, all of you guys are both amazing and mental at the same time.

Car Used: Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '07

ACSR421
Time: 1:44.003
Drivers Choice: 7.5

Car was pretty good, snug then loose on exit. The only major issue I had was that it seemed to actually launch itself off of the hill and was a handful when it landed. It might think it's an airplane!

DolHaus
Time: 1:44.909
Drivers Choice: 7.0

Having the spoiler gave it excellent braking, and the little snug through center. But this car was wrecking loose to me. I had a very hard time controlling the rear end almost everywhere....backing out early and focusing on the rear slowed my time. One nice advantage to the spoiler was it didn't fly out of control on hill, and a steady landing.

donpost
Time: 1:44.300

This setup with the spoiler gave the same characteristics (great brakes/snug in the center) but the rear end was kept in check a little better. I didn't have to worry about it sliding on me so much. A shame that some power had to be sacrificed.

JackWilson
Time: 1:43.514

Typical snug on entry, and can slide loose on exit. Took me a couple of laps, but I had to adapt my style to get more from the car.

jtqmopar
Time: 1:45.635
Drivers Choice: 8.0

The rear can get away from you a little bit, but with some steady tapping of the throttle, I was quicker. The only reason I can think of for the slower time is the gearbox/High Turbo doesn't work for my nintendo setup, but going just that little bit slower gave me that extra time to set myself up for the next corner. (Not a good time/but a smooth ride)

NEWDRIVER2
Time: 1:44.858

Snappy loose on exit, found it a little unpredictable at times. Which caused me to be a little more cautious on acceleration.

Otaliema
Time: 1:44.091
Drivers Choice: 8.0

This gear box with the High Turbo suited me pretty well. Even though it had strange shift points for me, after a few laps, I got the timing and sounds down. It was a little tight from center to exit, but not a big deal.

Onboy123
Time: 1:43.420
Drivers Choice: 9.0

This car can get you into trouble. It's a sleeper...you are cruising along so smoothly that you don't realize you took the last turn 3-4mph faster than usual and end up missing your mark on the next bend. A very comfortable car with the gearbox and Turbo that work well.

praiano63
Time: 1:43.640
Drivers Choice: 8.5

AHHHH! This car was so frustrating for me! The rear end had grip; it could tear your face off, it was ridiculous. Not sure how he does it! But to me the rear had so much grip and had the ability to save you if you started fishtailing, but the front was left to play catch up. Tight from apex to exit and I couldn't trust my turn in points because the nose would slide on me. I know this car can go faster (look at the time, it's not bad!!!)....it's me as a driver who is the limit and let the car down.

Ronald6
Time: 1:43.557

Loose on hard acceleration and can be snug on HSTs (High Speed Turn), but once you accept this and ease off just a little bit, the car becomes comfortable to drive.

ugabugaz
Time: 1:46.738

Having the flat floor, sacrificing the performance points, really killed the time. But having the flat floor made this car so predictable and safe to drive. Just really underpowered, especially up the hill, I actually lost RPMs going up the first hill. Maybe a gearbox adjustment?:confused:

xande1959
Tune: 1:46.153
Drivers Choice: 9.0

This car was very nice to drive, and the first one I came across that gave me the same time lap after lap without any struggles. That flat floor is great, but it really kills the "Giddy-up".

Motor City Hami
Tune: 1:43.321
Drivers Choice: 9.5

This is my favorite car(for this round), and for those who might be thinking I'm just saying it to be nice to our host, I'd say drive it! This car is great for cruising at a steady pace, or you can light it up and push it more and more with every lap if you have to. Only 2 small issues. I couldn't jump hard on the brakes (sometimes they felt non-existent) and was wondering about the top speed. Could probably do with another 3-4mph, it maxed out on me heading down the hill.

PKS80
Tune: 1:43.607

This car felt quick, like it was shot from a cannon. The rear would slide out on you, sometimes putting you into a 4 wheel drift, which on this track can lead to chaos. I want to take this tune to a different, more tolerable track, because I think this would be a great setup. Nice job!

Now that this is done, I've cleaned up my mess,(I couldn't find all the signs though) and I'm getting off this friggin' rock and will gladly kiss the flater grounds @ Silverstone.

Results for Radster Touring Car class
@praiano63 Mazda Roadster Touring Car
Time - 2:06:577
DC - 10
This car just eats up corners. You can be really aggresive with braking and acceleration and it'll respond nicely. Bravo sir.
Thanks for the test, nice time. Happy that you´ve enjoyed your drive.
Street Touring Class

praiano63
Time: 1:43.640

AHHHH! This car was so frustrating for me! The rear end had grip; it could tear your face off, it was ridiculous. Not sure how he does it! But to me the rear had so much grip and had the ability to save you if you started fishtailing, but the front was left to play catch up. Tight from apex to exit and I couldn't trust my turn in points because the nose would slide on me. I know this car can go faster (look at the time, it's not bad!!!)....it's me as a driver who is the limit and let the car down.

Thanks for the time you´ve passed driving all those cars. I knew i wouldn´t make very good there, first time on this track for me too,:scared:, Hard to tune for a track that you don´t know perfectly, it´s more difficult to repeat some kinds of situations , identify the problem, and correct it.
This was a very good oportunity for me to learn it. I´ll do better the next time.

Thanks for the test, nice time. Happy that you´ve enjoyed your drive.

Thanks for the time you´ve passed driving all those cars. I knew i wouldn´t make very good there, first time on this track for me too,:scared:, Hard to tune for a track that you don´t know perfectly, it´s more difficult to repeat some kinds of situations , identify the problem, and correct it.
This was a very good oportunity for me to learn it. I´ll do better the next time.

I can think of a few tracks that this car would be a nightmare for anyone who tries to race against it, no matter the driver. How on earth did you work your magic and get that much grip for the rear? Or is that a magicians secret?:lol:

Zero camber for max possible grip, lower extension than comp on rear damper would generally give better traction ( learned a lot from BRZ owner about damper when building TEIN SRC BRZ replica ) - of course front damper would also determine the balance of grip.

Zero camber for max possible grip, lower extension than comp on rear damper would generally give better traction ( learned a lot from BRZ owner about damper when building TEIN SRC BRZ replica ) - of course front damper would also determine the balance of grip.

The rear end all the way up in the air might have something to do with it as well....

The rear end all the way up in the air might have something to do with it as well....

Yeah:lol: the shortcut reversed ride height bug, front low high rear more stable handling on cars with oversteer tendency as the ride height will reduce rotation. ARB is set for looser rear with higher rear to balance things out.

I used similar damper setup on one of my early replica -Knight Sports RX7 SE.

Last edited:
Yeah:lol: the shortcut reversed ride height bug, front low high rear more stable handling on cars with oversteer tendency as the ride height will reduce rotation. ARB is set for looser rear with higher rear to balance things out.

I used similar damper setup on one of my early replica -Knight Sports RX7 SE.

Oh you didn't just open up the reverse settings can of worms did ya?:scared: I'm waiting for the powers to be to fix the camber before I get into my real testing, which might be awhile. Until then, I'm more than happy learning from the pros!:bowdown:

Oh you didn't just open up the reverse settings can of worms did ya?:scared: I'm waiting for the powers to be to fix the camber before I get into my real testing, which might be awhile. Until then, I'm more than happy learning from the pros!:bowdown:

It was the same since GT5 for the ride height ( it was fixed though on later version ) - I would never use as it makes the car looks funky :lol: I mainly build replicas, sometimes different ride height required to mimic real life ground clearances or coilover drop range from stock.

The ride height trick was used on GT6 TT pretty often by top driver :)

I can think of a few tracks that this car would be a nightmare for anyone who tries to race against it, no matter the driver. How on earth did you work your magic and get that much grip for the rear? Or is that a magicians secret?:lol:
No magic at all, just using what PD did with the physics of the game. Backwards ??? Yes , how the car react to front rear ride height are speaking by themself.
In GT5 we had the same ``problem´´. They never fix it , they just abort it. It was not working a way or another after this. Perhaps they will do the same now, but i think they have a lot of things to fix first.
But this is not the only thing you can play with, the rest is working good, dampers , springs.... for the springs there is a sweet spot to meet. You can look for it with neutral dampers and TOE first ,camber 0/0 and then , only after this , you can work on the car and let it the way you want playing with the rest. You can make the springs stiffer or softer , staying proportionlly with the same value you´ve found first.

Latest Posts

Back