FITT Miata Tuning Challenge

So @DigitalBaka I just looked at the spreadsheet you made for the first time and it is awesome. Not only would this make things much easier for testers in future events but I really liked how I could compare my tune to others and see what areas differed, see a setting I may have needed to do more work with, as well as other ways to approach optimizing a cars handling. :cheers:

So @DigitalBaka I just looked at the spreadsheet you made for the first time and it is awesome. Not only would this make things much easier for testers in future events but I really liked how I could compare my tune to others and see what areas differed, see a setting I may have needed to do more work with, as well as other ways to approach optimizing a cars handling. :cheers:
Just wondering if you are talking about the one I just shared for Michelin or this one.
Geekery has been done!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq8FTHHZEHVadE5oS29WX2F1Sk1EQ0s5c0RnVXp0NkE&usp=sharing

I've made a rather ambitious template to use for a tune database for these events. Tuners or anyone else who is bored, if you can test it out by entering in some info that would be awesome. All tuners entered into this event should have a column.

There should be no sign-in required to add info but if you are it will keep track of when you edit, not sure if it shows what you edit. Parts are all drop downs, color coded to GT6 and most typed values shouldn't let you enter anything incorrect, like a 12 for rear comp for example.

If any parts or options are missing let me know. I already had to go back and add the body rigidity improvement. Anyway, check it out and if anyone knows min/max values for aero, springs, ride height, etc please share so I can add the validation for those fields. Eventually I want to figure out if Google supports the scripting to add prices and total cost for tuning parts.

I'm such a dork. :rolleyes: My back better be feeling better tomorrow or I may get seriously into this.
I agree that this seems to be a very good layout for future events for submission, testing and comparing your own to someone else's.

Just tested 5 Spec Miatas. I expect to have tested them all by Wednesday at most. Now I'm off for a shower and then some Dirty NASCAR. :D

Thanks! The two spreadsheets linked here were quick and dirty. @Otaliema and I are working on a new template that is more complex behind the scenes to accommodate some simple ease of use functions. We've got the parts and tuning specs down I think. Working on power formulas and I will probably add a section or tab where results could be posted. As it is one could use it as a means of collecting tunes to try or even as a garage database.

Open to thoughts on features from everyone, but try to post that in the FITT thread so we can keep it there for reference. :cheers:

Touring car times added for @donpost and @iainoflo85 . I should be able to bang out the other 5 tunes without rigidity tomorrow when I'm not working on my actual car in the garage. Nice to have a "warm" day for a change.

Just wondering if you are talking about the one I just shared for Michelin or this one.

I was looking at the one you just shared with Michelin. Because for the spec miata the weight and power were the same for all the cars it was interesting to just look at the suspension and other settings. That other sheet obviously is ideal for testers, having all the info on every tune in the same place

@ridox
After a morning (well, morning for me at least) of fantastic, mind blowing racing @ the Ring with NewDriver2, Danbojte, ACSR421, and a few others (unfortunately not Praiano, he had connection problems) I took a deep breath, tried to clear my mind and reran your car.

My best time in this session was 1:35.408.

First) I apologize, my previous criticism of your car was due as much to my state of mind as your tune.

Second) after several more laps I figured out what disturbs me about your tune. Most tunes rotate "in the middle." Somewhere between letting off the throttle and applying the brake. Your car is the opposite. This is most apparent in the tightest corner on the track: I enter from high speed, try to use BLOR to rotate the car and accelerate just after the 1/3 mark. In the BLOR rotation the front will dive in, shift out, then back in, unless I get it just right. Its more obvious on this corner, but the same thing is happening on every corner, just more subtly.
I had the image of (american style) football players doing the exercise where they run in place with their arms in tight, then drop spread eagle, then jump up to run in place again.
This bend-straight-bend nature makes it hard to judge entry. Once I'm in a corner there's no adjusting, if I lift off the throttle once I apply it in a corner the car spreads its arms and drops into massive stable position. Instead of rotating on slight brake lift off the car understeers, and will continue to understeer until long after I apply the gas again.

Third) if I get it just right I can use this bend-straight-bend on the Euler corners. But once I enter a corner my line is static, nothing I do once I enter the corner will benefit from correction. Any correction will only worsen the line. This is a good thing if a tester could learn the car, but it would take many, many, many laps to unlearn my learned style and adjust.
On a "normal" corner the cars tendency to push out in the middle of the corner makes it near impossible to get every corner correct.
Every corner must be perfect from entry or the hot lap is lost.

Fourth) I'm holding to my original DC score. I'm more comfortable with a stock car than yours.

I hope this helps,
Ron

No worries Ron, I like to know more about different driver feedback :) The tune might work well for me or my friend, but not all driver will have the same experience with a tune. My suggestion is to brake and aim for the apex then exit, you are right the car needs precise entry to maintain corner speed, making correction mid corner will leads to instability or loss of time. I had to work with the spring rate used, I can adjust the damper to make it more manageable, but I was worried the car would be edgy on the limit. I also used some camber on the car, have you tried with zero camber all around ?

The ARB is set at 7/7, this is also the main reason the car is tight and prone to push, I guess I made the wrong decision based on input from my co driver, the original tune has much lower 2/3 front ARB and about 4/5 rear ARB. Maybe if you are interested to use 2/4 or 3/5 ARB just for comparison ?

Thanks for giving detailed explanation :D:tup: I am currently working on a 450PP and 400PP Honda EG2 Del Sol '92 on comfort soft up to sports medium. It will posted on my replica garage when finished. It is based on a replica ( J's Racing Track Del Sol ), so far with 450PP and CS tire, it can do low 1:07s at Tsukuba - much slower than my TODA FD2 Civic Type R '08 450PP at 1:04.5xxx on same tire ( Del Sol skinny tire didn't help at all :lol: ) If you are interested for testing a unique FF car based on real life suspension and LSD, PM me :D I could use some feedback.

:banghead: I just tested 3 cars in the touring class and realized that I left SRF on.....gah back to testing them again. O_o

Good news for tuners - the copy settings sheet feature has returned! No more writing down settings and inevitably losing the piece of paper with your original setup. No more having to laboriously copy your custom transmission settings every time you want to try an alternative tuning approach to your suspension
Thanks for the heads up. I was on yesterday and didn't notice the change. That will make evaluating small changes much easier without losing or forgetting what my original numbers were.

one car left to test in the touring group and my controller died :mad:, thats what i get for not charging it last night. :ouch:

@Lionheart2113 No, no i'm not. I'm having a great time with the cars but everything else is is going wrong. Just been working on the tuning sheet that @DigitalBaka and I are compiling. getting the conversion formula worked out. it's a PITA three torque types and three main power types and conversion is normally never done from metric to British for some reason. :boggled: so have to convert metric power to imperial (american), then to British power. ( the UK is about the only place that actively uses BHP as a power definition),

BTW does anyone know if kW is used for a power definition? cause that's whole new set of formulas that have to done. I've not seen it in any of the SS/Youtube's from players from euro but that don't mean much.

@Lionheart2113 No, no i'm not. I'm having a great time with the cars but everything else is is going wrong. Just been working on the tuning sheet that @DigitalBaka and I are compiling. getting the conversion formula worked out. it's a PITA three torque types and three main power types and conversion is normally never done from metric to British for some reason. :boggled: so have to convert metric power to imperial (american), then to British power. ( the UK is about the only place that actively uses BHP as a power definition),

BTW does anyone know if kW is used for a power definition? cause that's whole new set of formulas that have to done. I've not seen it in any of the SS/Youtube's from players from euro but that don't mean much.
I believe they use kW in Australia and New Zealand but I don't know if its represented in game

Is it used in game?
if yes what is the accompanying torque type? ft lb, kgf m or Nm? or another one I'm not aware of?
I've seen pictures in other threads that show that kW is used. For the life of me I can't remember where at though. But 100% sure it's used.

Is it used in game?
if yes what is the accompanying torque type? ft lb, kgf m or Nm? or another one I'm not aware of?

I was talking about real life :) I don't have GT6 with kW power figure, but as far as I remember Aussie uses kgm and Nm for torque. Kgm is rarely used though, more on imports.

Last edited:
I've seen pictures in other threads that show that kW is used. For the life of me I can't remember where at though. But 100% sure it's used.
ok i'll start digging again. Was it GT5 maybe?

I was talking about real life :) I don't have GT6 with kW power figure, but as far as I remember Aussie uses kgm and Nm for torque. Kgm is rarely used though, more on imports.
I know they use it IRL, i'm just concerned with GT6 for the spreadsheet i'm working on. I need the torque thats in use and power that corisponds to it. sounds like them pesky Aussies are going to throw my whole construction for a loop if they use both kg/m and Nm, unless the power type changes with it too.

ok i'll start digging again. Was it GT5 maybe?

I know they use it IRL, i'm just concerned with GT6 for the spreadsheet i'm working on. I need the torque thats in use and power that corisponds to it. sounds like them pesky Aussies are going to throw my whole construction for a loop if they use both kg/m and Nm, unless the power type changes with it too.

It was GT6... I'll help out on the hunt...

@Otaliema send a PM to @Nato_777 . He is from NZ and could probably help with what is used in that area. Trying to think of other folk I know down under and coming up empty. :irked:

Maybe just stick a thread/poll in the general GT6 forum and ask what people use for power and force?

Latest Posts

Back