FITT Race Car Tuner Challenge

Which two tracks should we use? (choose two)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hami , a buddy just sent me his Lexus IS200 Race Car , that will be my 500pp car, so you know ..

"Yo dawg , imma gunna drive ma Lexuz like a bawz to daz win n****." :lol:

Does the PP system actually work with these race cars. I just built tunes for the Corvette Z06 RM, the Corvette ZR1 RM and the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car and they are all within a couple of tenths of each other at Monza. It really is a comparison between raw big block power and low to the ground nimble handling. Not sure which one to enter. They are all really fun cars.

Does the PP system actually work with these race cars. I just built tunes for the Corvette Z06 RM, the Corvette ZR1 RM and the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car and they are all within a couple of tenths of each other at Monza. It really is a comparison between raw big block power and low to the ground nimble handling. Not sure which one to enter. They are all really fun cars.

Maybe I'll have to crack out the ZR1 again. Did a few laps against ACSR421 and few of the other FITT/GTP guys last night, in a Fairlady Z Concept, got battered. I know he's fast and has a history with Ford GTs, but damn, like a whole bucket full faster :crazy:

On the up side, looks like my 500PP car will be on the pace, just need to fix the, errr, 'braking issues' 👍

{Cy}

What sort of lap time at Monza are you seeing -low 1:4x.xxx ? I did couple of races as well at monza, some of them just plain dirty, dive bombing from behind on 1st turn and ramming me off the road when I am about to pass one of them - happened at least thrice-also in Tokyo R246 race, while GTP_Ronald was great, we were racing in Skyline TC cars at one time, he has his R33 tuned well, my R34 barely tuned - just changed the gearing, can't keep up.

High 1:43, but there is more out there, mostly from driving and some more from tuning.

The Ford GT is a little tail happy on exit of 2nd gear corners.
The Corvette C6 RM pushes mid-corner to exit.
The Corvette ZR1 RM is just stupid fast down the straights, but the brakes are terrible.
And, I was sleepy driving and had big, clumbsy thumbs.

High 1:43, but there is more out there, mostly from driving and some more from tuning.

The Ford GT is a little tail happy on exit of 2nd gear corners.
The Corvette C6 RM pushes mid-corner to exit.
The Corvette ZR1 RM is just stupid fast down the straights, but the brakes are terrible.
And, I was sleepy driving and had big, clumbsy thumbs.

I'm 1.40.xxx high 1.41.xxx low regular with lambo diablo , rear downforce mini and just a few at the front. I think this is the key. After 2.09 there is almost no problem of oversteer, the good way is to use a lower rear downforce till your limit to gain HP and top speed in a performance point limit situation.

><(((((°>°°°°°°°

My early tune for 625pp, ISF RM did 1:45 flat, the top speed is not very high, barely touching 300 km/h on the main straight, I can't drive smooth enough with a stick to navigate the chicanes at highest possible speed, although braking is fine and quite fun actually. The car only has around 680+ HP now, not sure adding weight will give more speed, max HP is only a bit over 700 :(. I'll try my best to find the best balance.

Hmm&#8230;just for the fun of it, I'll toss my hat in the ring for the 500PP group as well&#8230;with a Integra RM. Let's see how close (or far away) I can come from Roj this time&#8230;

Mind if I join the party? I would like to test the 500pp @ Spa. Count me out of the Monza track though, that track exemplifies everything I dislike about racing.

What do you dislike about racing(at Monza)?

I assume it goes a little something like this...
Chicane you can't pass in
90 with sand where passing results in someone being pushed off
Straight away that's just long enough for draft to be irrelevant
180 with sand where passing is futile because it leads to...
Straight away where you use draft to pass anyone who just earned their way by on the previous lap.

Just kidding... kinda, sorta... not really.

Mind if I join the party? I would like to test the 500pp @ Spa. Count me out of the Monza track though, that track exemplifies everything I dislike about racing.

Hey Ron, how about I test the cars at Monza and you test at Spa. I have no desire to drive at Spa anymore than I have to.

Still looking for my 500pp car but I'm pretty sure I'll take the Ford GT LM test car at 625pp after running a 1:39.xxx with it at Monza today.:dopey:

I assume it goes a little something like this...
180 with sand where passing is futile because it leads to...
Straight away where you use draft to pass anyone who just earned their way by on the previous lap.

Just kidding... kinda, sorta... not really.
So his statement was just to say "Monza exemplifies everything I dislike about Monza"? :odd:

Good enough I guess. :P

Personally I enjoy Monza...at least in cars up to around 550PP...not sure about higher power cars though...:drool::crazy::lol:

I also dislike Monza. (In case my last posts caused confusion there)
It's probably the simplest track in the game regarding tuning as well.

Always does well in votes though, there's at least 7 floaters around that think it's great for racing and tuning. :)

Monza has no subtlety. Its like a high school bully: GAS! BRAKE! GAS! BRAKE!
Just learn the brake points for that car and its like flicking a switch.
Good for tuning (I guess), bad for driving.

Monza has no subtlety. Its like a high school bully: GAS! BRAKE! GAS! BRAKE!
Just learn the brake points for that car and its like flicking a switch.
Good for tuning (I guess), bad for driving.
Honestly, that's the most unfair assessment of the track I've heard, due to the detail.

Now I'll be the first to say it's a boring track, but when Tony hops on the track and whips out laps over half a second faster than I can hope to achieve, I understand the true difficulty in mastering the track.

Boring, easy for tuning, and relatively simple and even easy to race on.

Incredibly difficult to get perfect. (at least in race cars of this spec)
Just look at the time difference between Praiano and Hami.
Tony would turn 39's if not 38's, I guarantee it. (with or without abs, im not sure if he races with abs anymore at all)

Edit: Oh, and steering through Ascari on the limit is just nuts once you realize how ridiculously fast you can go through.

Honestly, that's the most unfair assessment of the track I've heard, due to the detail.

Now I'll be the first to say it's a boring track, but when Tony hops on the track and whips out laps over half a second faster than I can hope to achieve, I understand the true difficulty in mastering the track.

Boring, easy for tuning, and relatively simple and even easy to race on.

Incredibly difficult to get perfect. (at least in race cars of this spec)
Tony would turn 39's if not 38's, I guarantee it. (with or without abs, im not sure if he races with abs anymore at all)

I have no clue who Tony is, but I assume he's also faster than you on every other track, not just this one? If that's the case, your point is invalid, as it has nothing to do with mastering a single track, it has to do with just being a better driver. (Understand that this is being said, with the foresight of knowing you're faster than me, so this is not a knock on your skill, but rather the straw man argument, that just because someone else is faster at a track, it doesn't speak to the difficulty, nor the simplicity of the track.)

Must say there are many tracks I enjoy in GT5 but some of my favorites are also some of the ones that at first appear to be the simplest. The Nordschliefe is an amazing track but I find myself just fighting to stay alive on it, tracks like Monza allow me to focus on finding the better lines and trying to improve on all the little things in both my driving and the tune of a car. While many may find the apparent simplicity off putting I find it challenging and rewarding. I see it as the European version of Indy or Daytona where your ability to get all the little things right is the key to success.👍👍

Down to low 1:42's with some additional tuning. Praiano is usually about 0.5 to 1 second faster than me. We have done some online racing against each other recently and when I have a spot on tune, we traded alot of 1st and 2nds.

I saw a 1:39 post from ACSR? Appears that I still have some work to do.

Monza is still a track that rewards a good tune. Corner speed is somewhat less important. Monza does reward grip exiting the 2nd/3rd gear corners, braking and gearbox. It is what it is. We just need to look deeper into settings that don't normally carry this much of the load.

I have no clue who Tony is, but I assume he's also faster than you on every other track, not just this one? If that's the case, your point is invalid, as it has nothing to do with mastering a single track, it has to do with just being a better driver. (Understand that this is being said, with the foresight of knowing you're faster than me, so this is not a knock on your skill, but rather the straw man argument, that just because someone else is faster at a track, it doesn't speak to the difficulty, nor the simplicity of the track.)
Tony is top of the top, fastest on the planet, a true alien.

I had pole this week, Tony was second.
Not to confuse, Tony is quite faster than I, but the time amount varies track-to-track, it always does, and that's how you can judge true track difficulty, in regards to running the fastest laps possible.
At Motegi, my PB ended at 47.8, Tony's 47.6, at Monaco last season, Tony's PB was almost a full second faster than mine while he carried an extra 100KG's.
And every time I go to Monza, he's in the 44's if not 43's right away, while I'm in the 45's.
I finished 4 seconds behind DHolland at a Nurburgring TT a year and a half ago, if you know that name, so to be beaten by so much time on a track with so few corners is quite a lot.:crazy:

Must say there are many tracks I enjoy in GT5 but some of my favorites are also some of the ones that at first appear to be the simplest. The Nordschliefe is an amazing track but I find myself just fighting to stay alive on it, tracks like Monza allow me to focus on finding the better lines and trying to improve on all the little things in both my driving and the tune of a car. While many may find the apparent simplicity off putting I find it challenging and rewarding. I see it as the European version of Indy or Daytona where your ability to get all the little things right is the key to success.👍👍
That's an interesting and refreshing view for any track I've ever heard. 👍

XDesperado67

+1,000 :dopey:

I too enjoy the "Burg", but more then one lap, and I'm dead. Finding the brake points, throttle control, gearing... Monza is a very good track for this (one I seem to be failing at :( ). It is all what you find challenging as a tuner, and what you're tuning for. I myself like Autumn Ring Mini whilst tuning for short tracks...*waits for laughter to die down*... because it gives you alot of feel for the car.

Back in subject, if your looking for the slowest cars in this shootout, I have them on share. I'm unsure if I will have the time to improve them, so this is what I got. Beat them and you will not finish last :lol::dopey:

Maybe we should do Monza in the rain? Would that make it challenging enough?

Just kidding, by the way.

I plan to open some online rooms Thursday, Friday and/or Saturday. Will have to do a night of Monza and mix in some rain races just for fun.

Down to low 1:42's with some additional tuning. Praiano is usually about 0.5 to 1 second faster than me. We have done some online racing against each other recently and when I have a spot on tune, we traded alot of 1st and 2nds.

I saw a 1:39 post from ACSR? Appears that I still have some work to do.

Monza is still a track that rewards a good tune. Corner speed is somewhat less important. Monza does reward grip exiting the 2nd/3rd gear corners, braking and gearbox. It is what it is. We just need to look deeper into settings that don't normally carry this much of the load.

I'd say 1:41-1:42s should be right on pace the 1:39 came after I was warmed up from tuning at Spa for way too long. I'm a bit surprised by the bad comments about Monza. I agree that it is a simple track and racing can be difficult if racers aren't patient or clean with passes. For me the track has a good flow that places a premium on high speed braking and corner speed in order to get a fast lap time. :)

Back in subject, if your looking for the slowest cars in this shootout, I have them on share. I'm unsure if I will have the time to improve them, so this is what I got. Beat them and you will not finish last :lol::dopey:

I just drove your 625PP entry and it's not bad. You might be able to find a bit of a lap time gain if you actually used the approved tires for the 625PP class - Racing Mediums. :)

I will send you a PM with a few other things to try. Your tune (with race mediums) is in the ballpark with my Corvette tune. A few tweaks and it may be there.

I like Monza, I voted for it, in your face, haters..!! :P

I'm quite liking Spa too, I may even go buy the DLC. I ran a 2:38.5 there last night in my little 500PP monster. Worth noting that I caught some pretty decent draft, as I can only test at the Seasonal Event. Do you know how difficult it is to avoid drafting at that track..!?!

{Cy}

I like Monza, I voted for it, in your face, haters..!! :P

I'm quite liking Spa too, I may even go buy the DLC. I ran a 2:38.5 there last night in my little 500PP monster. Worth noting that I caught some pretty decent draft, as I can only test at the Seasonal Event. Do you know how difficult it is to avoid drafting at that track..!?!

{Cy}
Just let the AI get a good lead then you don't have to worry about draft.:crazy::lol:

Hi, guys, I am going to share my cars, they are all about 80% finished, a Top Fuel Zero 1000 based Civic EK'97 RM and Lexus IS F RM. I am worried these cars would be a nightmare when tested by wheel drivers, please if anyone using wheel, feel free to test these cars, I am tuning with a stick and no ABS, so if the BB is too high, please adjust it to your liking. The Civic can lap the Spa in around low 2:36.xxx ( can go sub 2:35 ) and the ISF at Monza 1:45.040.

Note for the Civic - the car needs aggressive driving style, hard late braking, it might give a slight understeer, but oversteer is also prominent, the car can be pushed hard exiting a corner earlier than most FF cars - the front tires will re-align on exits. Be adventurous with the Civic, it's blast to drive hard :D

For the Lexus ... it drives like a dream, but a bit lacking in acceleration and top speed :D

EDIT : I just got low 2:35 with the Civic at Spa, with so many slow sections and not flat out at the Eau Rouge.

Last edited:
Just let the AI get a good lead then you don't have to worry about draft.:crazy::lol:

1st and 2nd laps are a nightmare, the AI brake so early and coast through corners like Granny does. 3rd is fairly clear, 4th bump into the middle pack and by the end of the 5th there's a real danger of catching the front pack. Normally finish around 5th, it's a tedious way to test a car, but at least I'm earning at the same time.

The upside is it's good practise for tandem racing. I've run quite a few races with NewDriver on wide tracks, deliberately not drafting. Normally low PP cars at tracks like Rome, keep to your side of the road as best you can. All good fun and very Scalextric 👍

{Cy}

Back