FITT RUF Challenge

• Thread starter shaunm80
  • 1,256 comments
Hopefully when wheel type and color is mentioned on tune tester is "forced" to obey tuner posted setup?
Size yes, Color and style no.
At this point in the game and after what now 14 FITT comps? We have seen no noticeable changes in lap times with style and color of rims and only a minor changes with size. How ever with size it does affect suspension set up as the sidewalls are smaller so running standard rims on a car tuned with +1 will result in a change and generally not for the better.

Size yes, Color and style no.
At this point in the game and after what now 14 FITT comps? We have seen no noticeable changes in lap times with style and color of rims and only a minor changes with size. How ever with size it does affect suspension set up as the sidewalls are smaller so running standard rims on a car tuned with +1 will result in a change and generally not for the better.

Someone did these test ? Is there a thread for it ?

Hopefully when wheel type and color is mentioned on tune tester is "forced" to obey tuner posted setup?

After this Old School Class we should continue this. On other thread. I wished for placebo, but BTR on this track is just too obvious to point out differences. Later, on other thread more.
I would like to put this to the test as well but as you say it should be done away from the contest 👍

No official tests on it. Just results in the challenges when Size size is not required or limited the lap times between the cars is nominally different. <0.050 seconds. Color and style in rim size locked challenges zero change.
This is not true, no tests have been done on the lateral load differences between sizes of wheels because it is all but impossible to do so using the tools available in GT6. No noticeable pattern has ever been discerned or highlighted, there is little evidence of tyre deformation being a factor in GT at all let alone a sweeping change that covers all compounds and patterns of tyre within the game in response to changes in the height of the side wall

This is not true, no tests have been done on the lateral load differences between sizes of wheels because it is all but impossible to do so using the tools available in GT6. No noticeable pattern has ever been discerned or highlighted, there is little evidence of tyre deformation being a factor in GT at all let alone a sweeping change that covers all compounds and patterns of tyre within the game in response to changes in the height of the side wall
This may be true but looking over results. In the open wheel size challenges, All podium spots are occupied by +1 or +2 rims, generally first and second place are running the same size 3rd is on a different size, to me that says there is some kind of effect with the wheel size. In the locked wheel size challenges or classes that can't change the wheel size there is no pattern, which to me says there is no effect.
As for the effect with no evidence that tire deformation is implemented in the game, I think it's tied to lateral load in the corner, as that's where you would expect to see the gains from improved grip.

This may be true but looking over results. In the open wheel size challenges, All podium spots are occupied by +1 or +2 rims, generally first and second place are running the same size 3rd is on a different size, to me that says there is some kind of effect with the wheel size. In the locked wheel size challenges or classes that can't change the wheel size there is no pattern, which to me says there is no effect.
You know as well as I do that there are so many factors that affect the final rankings that you can't attribute it to something as simple as wheel choice, its not always the fastest car that wins. To me this is more coincidence than a pattern, you could just as easily say that the winners of contests usually have the letter A in their user names but that doesn't make it a performance advantage

You know as well as I do that there are so many factors that affect the final rankings that you can't attribute it to something as simple as wheel choice, its not always the fastest car that wins. To me this is more coincidence than a pattern, you could just as easily say that the winners of contests usually have the letter A in their user names but that doesn't make it a performance advantage
Fair point.
But lets sideline this, maybe set up a PM and work out a simple test that can be done to determin effects of wheel size. Ya?

For all those who have been added to a tuner or tester class, or decided to change their class of cars, can you check that you have been added to the right list. If not, let us know and we will rectify it ASAP. Thank you :)

I never would have thought to do that. -_- I assumed it paused the game to take the picture.
What were your camera settings if you recall?
So it was an actual camera. I took a photo of the TV during the replay without pausing.
settings11_zps2azvti0z.jpg

So it was an actual camera. I took a photo of the TV during the replay without pausing.
settings11_zps2azvti0z.jpg
Ahh nice thinking out side the box there.
My brain has been fried in butter this last month so it's nice and crispy toasty and never would have thought to have done that.

I would like to put this to the test as well but as you say it should be done away from the contest 👍

We can start pretty soon, I'll retire from competition due no obey for tuner wish, so my setup is free to use for testing. Getting back when home.

But lets sideline this, maybe set up a PM and work out a simple test that can be done to determin effects of wheel size. Ya?

Yes, but not on PM, public testing and speech.

Yes, but not on PM, public testing and speech.
The PM was for working out the test, track car, suspension set up etc. That should at least IMO be done out of public, too many opinions on somethings like a set up leads to nothing useful.

And sorry to see you withdraw due to the wheel issue but that is your choice. @shaunm80 will get you removed from his list.

There are increased wheel options when fitting +1 or +2 wheels for many cars, which could be the reason so many cars are fitted with them, as well as there may be a preference for the look of the bigger wheels. But that doesnt mean there is not a performance advantage with a bigger wheel.

I'm pretty sure there is already info and testing done with wheel sizes somewhere if you search for it.

Yes, but I am able to be both tuner and tester in Supersport Class ? If so, it will be with pleasure ;)
Yes you can tune and test the same group. How ever you can only submit two tunes, so you would need to withdraw from Sport or Old school to submit a tune for the super sport group.

The PM was for working out the test, track car, suspension set up etc. That should at least IMO be done out of public, too many opinions on somethings like a set up leads to nothing useful.
Let's make it this way, I provide car/setup/track due it seems like I'm only one who's wacko enough to bring this up and sees differences on this point.
Actually, you have provided track and car already :) I have good setup for it what tells what's happening under body.

We can start pretty soon, I'll retire from competition due no obey for tuner wish, so my setup is free to use for testing. Getting back when home.

Sad to hear that. Any chance we can allow his special setup to be adhered to? If it's as big a deal as claimed his tune should easily be either the fastest or most comfortable, and it would be a shame to lose that to difference of opinion.

Let's make it this way, I provide car/setup/track due it seems like I'm only one who's wacko enough to bring this up and sees differences on this point.
Actually, you have provided track and car already :) I have good setup for it what tells what's happening under body.
I'm moving the discussion to the FITT physics thread, anyone who wishes to continue please do so there 👍

I have removed you @OdeFinn from Old School class. If you change your mind on your setup, let us know and I will re-add you to the list.
No problem to join compo, but when I made tune I used several hours for testing what wheels to use on it, and if tune is going to be evaluated by testers they should test same setup as I made. If my setup is driven with stock wheels it's not working, corner balance can be something else than balanced as now, depends on wheels how long braking distance, braking force, so many things go wrong if not on same wheels.

If testing is done with tuner mentioned wheels(type and color from shop) then I'm entering.

No problem to join compo, but when I made tune I used several hours for testing what wheels to use on it, and if tune is going to be evaluated by testers they should test same setup as I made. If my setup is driven with stock wheels it's not working, corner balance can be something else than balanced as now, depends on wheels how long braking distance, braking force, so many things go wrong if not on same wheels.

If testing is done with tuner mentioned wheels(type and color from shop) then I'm entering.
After discussing it. We are in agreement that only size will be enforced. If testing is done and shows a different result to current common accepted wisdom than the wheel use rules will be changed accordingly. But asking a tester to spend 1k-6k on every tune for a theory in a challenge right now is not something we are going to do.

After discussing it. We are in agreement that only size will be enforced. If testing is done and shows a different result to current common accepted wisdom than the wheel use rules will be changed accordingly. But asking a tester to spend 1k-6k on every tune for a theory in a challenge right now is not something we are going to do.
We all have to work within the same rules so no one is at an advantage/disadvantage, the best tuner is the one that can produce the best product within those stipulations.

I'm registered as tuner only for the Sport and SuperSport Classes :)
So your all good then? Excellent. I have removed you from Old School Class so you are now only registered in Sport and Supersport.
We all have to work within the same rules so no one is at an advantage/disadvantage, the best tuner is the one that can produce the best product within those stipulations.
This is a statement I can agree with. :)
Hi. Can you add me as a tuner to the Old School class please?

My car will be yellow and use PDI P525N black wheels in the standard size. :D

View attachment 500547
Added to Old School Class. Welcome aboard.

That's my post been cha
Did you still want to test the Super sport? you can test all the groups, currently you can only tune for two groups.

Added sir. BTW love the new Avatar 👍

Tune looks good sir. 👍 Just correct your PP rating to 560 in your post other wise all settings check out on build.

Wheel design is cosmic, unless PD did some magic coding for a few of them, just slap the set on you like the best and go with it. Just match the size as that at least IMO affects lateral G load for the tires.
Thats my post been changed folks to correct pp

But asking a tester to spend 1k-6k on every tune for a theory in a challenge right now is not something we are going to do

They already have to spend nearly 1 Million for two BTR's with all upgrades, one with body rigidity installed, one without. Few bucks for wheels can't be issue.

Great tune and then testing it without all tuned parts/settings wouldn't give much of credit or equal treating to tuner.

I understand both base points, but thing what I'm asking is so minor thing to follow, but major tune breaker if tune is made for "alive" suspension.

Back