FITT Stingray (C7) Challenge. Congratulations To the podium finishers. See results for who won.

• Thread starter Otaliema
  • 408 comments
From what I can remember, the oval turn before the finish line tend to be heavy to steer into ( going near the apex ) when going flat out. On some parts of the track, turn 2 to 5 for example, the car benefits most from good racing line + throttle modulation when needed. Turn 3 can be done in flat out before easing for another flat out that ends with the left round turn.
Well, if I remember right I was flat out bit more :) yes car needs throttle modulation/steering, but so does normal street cars, from real life I have one corner what most people think "dangerous" above 90kmh on dry summer weather and I'm pushing it 130kmh on snow and 150kmh on dry summer.. Only because of throttle modulation. :)

Lucky for me, I usually only care about visual aspect of rear wing, as long as it looks like the real deal, I don't mind how much aero it gives, just have to tune around it :P
Same here, but that wouldn't happen again, now I know how much aero setup can change balance and stability. :)

5 year old DS3 pad, Automatic transmission, X for accelerate, [] for brake.
That explains why you don't get the forklift feel. The rotation in the center just happens for that split second your thumb goes from brake to gas. If you blend the 2 it will snap around more violently. I didn't notice how dramatic it was until I was really concentrating on 1/2 throttle at apex during my official testing. My main goal was to be able to go full throttle and dpad left or right on corner exit for us button mashers!:mischievous:

Unfortunately you button mashers don't get any feedback feel. Really changes things.
Have to think something else, @Ridox2JZGTE utilises visuals for feel and with pretty great results.

@Ridox2JZGTE understeer happens mostly on corner entry, too late braking and/or too less throttle lift, mid corner have to go really gentle on throttle to avoid slight push. All avoidable with early braking and careful throttle usage, or doing one small change on tune and you got freaking nice replica racer, change ballast to -25, had to test and front isn't bending under in any situations, car got driving angle range covering oversteer side too if driver wants.
That over turning wheel effect reduces lot also after ballast re-positioning.

Have to think something else, @Ridox2JZGTE utilises visuals for feel and with pretty great results.

@Ridox2JZGTE understeer happens mostly on corner entry, too late braking and/or too less throttle lift, mid corner have to go really gentle on throttle to avoid slight push. All avoidable with early braking and careful throttle usage, or doing one small change on tune and you got freaking nice replica racer, change ballast to -25, had to test and front isn't bending under in any situations, car got driving angle range covering oversteer side too if driver wants.
That over turning wheel effect reduces lot also after ballast re-positioning.

I see, more on the LSD side that causes the push and the ballast position moved to -25, will try that later on :P

I see, more on the LSD side that causes the push and the ballast position moved to -25, will try that later on :P
After ballast move car braking distance drops too, easier to see on 1st corner, and 3rd gear thru 1st corner combo is piece of cake too.
Tried on both sides of -25, breaking point, other side too heavy front and other too light, -25 and car follows wheel directions flawless on high to slow speed, braking can be taken closer to turns and throttle can be opened earlier. DC would be jumped 1st or 2nd after this change.

After ballast move car braking distance drops too, easier to see on 1st corner, and 3rd gear thru 1st corner combo is piece of cake too.
Tried on both sides of -25, breaking point, other side too heavy front and other too light, -25 and car follows wheel directions flawless on high to slow speed, braking can be taken closer to turns and throttle can be opened earlier. DC would be jumped 1st or 2nd after this change.

Tried -25, nice :D It's more neutral now, or shall I say finely balanced, should have done this before submitting the car :lol: :P Much easier to push although the BB would still give it that rear skids under braking :lol:

Drives and tune guide. Bought it 18 years ago. It does help in real world. Hope to help tuners in this game. :cheers:
IMG_20160501_050011.jpg

FITT Stingray (C7) Challenge
Car(s):
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C7) '14
Regulations: (565hp/1290kg/+1 Rims)
Track: Indianapolis Road Course (2.61) 29° @ 15:40

Driving Options
Driving Line: OFF
Blind Spot Indicator: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
Traction Control: 0
Active Stability Management (ASM): OFF
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS): 1
Skid Recovery Force (SRF): OFF
Controller Sensitivity: 5
Grip set to Real
DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission
---------------------------------
@Otaliema
Lap Time: 1:31.396
DC Rank: 9th
Impressions and feedback: This car seemed to lack overall grip. It would smoke the front tires on entry and light up the rears on exit. I found some speed, but it requires a lot of throttle control and constant awareness to get the rear to hook up.

@xande1959
Lap Time: 1:31.534
DC Rank: 8th
Impressions and feedback: Cruising speed was solid, but when pushed, it puts up a fight. It struggles getting down to the apexes and this leads to a rotation at mid corner problem. You can change your line and avoid this or get pretty good at tapping the e-brake to get it to turn.

@Bowtie-muscle
Lap Time: 1:31.360
DC Rank: 6th
Impressions and feedback: Handled great and was very consistent, until really pushed. The rear was temperamental at higher RPMs as it would break free on me, causing a weak launch. Smoother throttle control would suit this car better than me tapping on the "X" button trying to get out of the turns.

@shaunm80
Lap Time: 1:32.043
DC Rank: 11th
Impressions and feedback: I struggled with this car and I'm not sure why. I had to use loads of e-brake love at mid corner to get it to rotate which is fine, but exit was strange. If I whipped the horse it would break loose, but if I coaxed it it would push off of the line and want to mow the lawn. I couldn't find a happy medium.:indiff:

@coryclifford
Lap Time: 1:31.375
DC Rank: 5th
Impressions and feedback: Overall on the snug/safe side:confused: Surely that can't be right, coming from Cory, but it is. This car would launch itself out of corners when hooked up, but it needed to be timed correctly. If I accelerated too soon, I would start to push and have to get out of the gas during exit, too late and I would watch the fastest lap ghost pull away. If perfect, I was rewarded.

@Ridox2JZGTE
Lap Time: 1:32.499
DC Rank: 12th
Impressions and feedback: This car seemed to be down on power compared to the others. It would slide on corner entry and break loose on exit. This caused me to diamond almost every corner. I will say that if you are able to provide this car with some form of constant throttle, it would stop most of the issues I had, and give you a better drive.

@OdeFinn
Lap Time: 1:32.860
DC Rank: 13th
Impressions and feedback: This car and I did not see eye to eye. I was roasting the outside front during the first 2/3 of the turn and the outside rear the last 1/3. On full throttle turns the rear would drift out and you would have to gather it back up, and even with the wing, it didn't feel like it had any stopping power.

@lBt_33
Lap Time: 1.31.450
DC Rank: 2nd
Impressions and feedback: Excellent turn in, a slight push at center, and exit oversteer. All can be easily managed with some patience and throttle control. If you stray off of the lines that it wants, you will find yourself with a completely different animal, but still fun to drive.

@Antares26
Lap Time: 1:31.776
DC Rank: 10th
Impressions and feedback: The weight transfer loved jumping from the rear to the front under heavy braking. This caused sliding issues on corner entry, but can be managed. The biggest issue for me were the gear changes being forced at mid & exit of the corners. These gear changes upset the balance for me, making it a little more difficult to predict what the car was doing.

@sinof1337
Lap Time: 1:31.757
DC Rank: 4th
Impressions and feedback: Where to start...? Yes, you can cook a hamburger on the outside front when entering a turn, and yes, it doesn't have the amazing stopping power as its flat floor brothers, but what a fun drive! Shame on you for bringing a knife to a gun fight, but at least the blade is as sharp as it can be. Awesome job!:bowdown:

@Lionheart2113
Lap Time: 1:31.110
DC Rank: 3rd
Impressions and feedback: Well, the transmission is quick and responsive leading to great launches out of the corner, but holy 🤬 that rear end loves to bounce around and become unhinged. I achieved my corner rotation, but even I think I went a touch too far with it. Although it is nice having the ability to follow someone on the last turn and cut underneath them as they push up towards the wall.

@Ale67
Lap Time: 1:31.178
DC Rank: 1st
Impressions and feedback: This car is fast when you are smooth. As long as you don't try to wrestle it too much, you will see the laps tick away. A perfect car for consistent racing. Very nice job!👍

@TheInfamousJEW6
Lap Time: 1:32.169
DC Rank: 7th
Impressions and feedback: The front tires would get hot even when braking in a straight line and the tires were constantly squealing at me. With it not having a flat floor, it would slide around a lot, but all was easy to maintain and dare I say...fun. Yet another tune from you that is a joy to drive.

I would like to add how difficult it was to decide DC scores, in fact the toughest to date. Thank you to the tuners, for causing a few more grey hairs, and to @Otaliema for putting this quick challenge together.👍
:cheers:

@Lionheart2113 Thanks for the review! 👍
Because the car felt heavy despite all the weight reduction parts, I set it up for a bit of early braking to make a smooth entry towards the first S. It's no surprise the car felt like it was jumping under heavy braking. As for gear changes, it already had a lot of torque mid range so the gears were set long to take advantage of this. The car's good for high 30's for fast laps when I tested it out, but the lap time set here isn't far from the average lap time I was doing. :D

EDIT: I just saw your notes on using Auto, and face buttons for accel/brake. Now I understand why the car felt like that. :lol:

@Lionheart2113 Thanks for the review! 👍
Because the car felt heavy despite all the weight reduction parts, I set it up for a bit of early braking to make a smooth entry towards the first S. It's no surprise the car felt like it was jumping under heavy braking. As for gear changes, it already had a lot of torque mid range so the gears were set long to take advantage of this. The car's good for high 30's for fast laps when I tested it out, but the lap time set here isn't far from the average lap time I was doing. :D

EDIT: I just saw your notes on using Auto, and face buttons for accel/brake. Now I understand why the car felt like that. :lol:
Using a Nintendo setup does cost a lot in terms of driving feel and automatic transmission limits most options in terms of gearing. It makes perfect sense what you are saying and what you tuned for, but unfortunately I found myself in what I call "The automatic shift dead zone" the 3-4mph that the transmission can't figure out what gear it should be in so it jumps back and forth.:ouch:

Car(s):

Driving Options
Grip set to Real
DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission
@Otaliema
Impressions and feedback: This car seemed to lack overall grip. It would smoke the front tires on entry and light up the rears on exit. I found some speed, but it requires a lot of throttle control and constant awareness to get the rear to hook up.

@xande1959
Lap Time: 1:31.534
DC Rank: 8th
Impressions and feedback: Cruising speed was solid, but when pushed, it puts up a fight. It struggles getting down to the apexes and this leads to a rotation at mid corner problem. You can change your line and avoid this or get pretty good at tapping the e-brake to get it to turn.

@Bowtie-muscle
Lap Time: 1:31.360
DC Rank: 6th
Impressions and feedback: Handled great and was very consistent, until really pushed. The rear was temperamental at higher RPMs as it would break free on me, causing a weak launch. Smoother throttle control would suit this car better than me tapping on the "X" button trying to get out of the turns.

@shaunm80
Impressions and feedback: I struggled with this car and I'm not sure why. I had to use loads of e-brake love at mid corner to get it to rotate which is fine, but exit was strange. If I whipped the horse it would break loose, but if I coaxed it it would push off of the line and want to mow the lawn. I couldn't find a happy medium.:indiff:

@coryclifford
Lap Time: 1:31.375
DC Rank: 5th
Impressions and feedback: Overall on the snug/safe side:confused: Surely that can't be right, coming from Cory, but it is. This car would launch itself out of corners when hooked up, but it needed to be timed correctly. If I accelerated too soon, I would start to push and have to get out of the gas during exit, too late and I would watch the fastest lap ghost pull away. If perfect, I was rewarded.

@Ridox2JZGTE
Impressions and feedback: This car seemed to be down on power compared to the others. It would slide on corner entry and break loose on exit. This caused me to diamond almost every corner. I will say that if you are able to provide this car with some form of constant throttle, it would stop most of the issues I had, and give you a better drive.

@OdeFinn
Lap Time: 1:32.860
DC Rank: 13th
Impressions and feedback: This car and I did not see eye to eye. I was roasting the outside front during the first 2/3 of the turn and the outside rear the last 1/3. On full throttle turns the rear would drift out and you would have to gather it back up, and even with the wing, it didn't feel like it had any stopping power.

@lBt_33
Impressions and feedback: Excellent turn in, a slight push at center, and exit oversteer. All can be easily managed with some patience and throttle control. If you stray off of the lines that it wants, you will find yourself with a completely different animal, but still fun to drive.

@Antares26
Lap Time: 1:31.776
DC Rank: 10th
Impressions and feedback: The weight transfer loved jumping from the rear to the front under heavy braking. This caused sliding issues on corner entry, but can be managed. The biggest issue for me were the gear changes being forced at mid & exit of the corners. These gear changes upset the balance for me, making it a little more difficult to predict what the car was doing.

@sinof1337
Lap Time: 1:31.757
DC Rank: 4th
Impressions and feedback: Where to start...? Yes, you can cook a hamburger on the outside front when entering a turn, and yes, it doesn't have the amazing stopping power as its flat floor brothers, but what a fun drive! Shame on you for bringing a knife to a gun fight, but at least the blade is as sharp as it can be. Awesome job!:bowdown:

@Lionheart2113
Lap Time: 1:31.110
DC Rank: 3rd
Impressions and feedback: Well, the transmission is quick and responsive leading to great launches out of the corner, but holy 🤬 that rear end loves to bounce around and become unhinged. I achieved my corner rotation, but even I think I went a touch too far with it. Although it is nice having the ability to follow someone on the last turn and cut underneath them as they push up towards the wall.

@Ale67
Lap Time: 1:31.178
DC Rank: 1st
Impressions and feedback: This car is fast when you are smooth. As long as you don't try to wrestle it too much, you will see the laps tick away. A perfect car for consistent racing. Very nice job!👍

@TheInfamousJEW6
Lap Time: 1:32.169
DC Rank: 7th
Impressions and feedback: The front tires would get hot even when braking in a straight line and the tires were constantly squealing at me. With it not having a flat floor, it would slide around a lot, but all was easy to maintain and dare I say...fun. Yet another tune from you that is a joy to drive.

I would like to add how difficult it was to decide DC scores, in fact the toughest to date. Thank you to the tuners, for causing a few more grey hairs, and to @Otaliema for putting this quick challenge together.👍
Thanks for the effort and feedback, great lap times you put up as well. Mine, like many others, does not throttle control and smooth inputs. But fast when right. Step up and learn to use the triggers for gas/brake, it helps. I never tried with auto or or pad so I'm still happy with your results. Amazing how on some you are faster than I am even when you use x for gas. My hat is off to you good sir.:dopey:👍

@lBt_33

Thank you a lot for the review, I hope you enjoyed it as I did during the testing ! I'm very surprised by the results, it seems that my tunes finally please :) :cheers:

Car(s):

Driving Options
Grip set to Real
DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission

@shaunm80
Thanks for the review. I knew this car would be hit and miss with the testers but I am very impressed with the lap time you got out of it. Very impressive. My apologies that you did not enjoy the ride that much though.

Great job testing by the way. Not bad at all for a X button basher :)

@Ridox2JZGTE

Pretty happy with the result, lap time also very good :P

Thank you a lot for the review, I hope you enjoyed it as I did during the testing ! I'm very surprised by the results, it seems that my tunes finally please :) :cheers:

Nicely done mate :) Glad you are having great DC, keep on it :D I think you are way better tuner than me :P

Last edited:
@Otaliema
Thank you. Yeah sorry about the looseness, I couldn't seem to figure out how to make it grip and turn.

Back