Fly Me To The Moon Tuning Garage

• Thread starter TurnLeft
  • 159 comments
@DolHaus , @Ridox2JZGTE ,@oppositelock , & @XS , you have always showed interest in my follies, good or bad, so here is my latest venture into the GT6 world of physics.

I wanted to know how Initial value in the MLSD worked and found this idea from a member called bread82 from an NGU thread (I know bad bad me).

Procedure: I went to Silverstone Int, on the long straightaway and stopped just at the beginning of the bridge placing the 2 left tires on the grass and the 2 right tires on the track. Used AT, just floored it and after reaching 100 kmh got back on track and saved it as a best lap. I then used the data logger with the headings, Speed, RPM, Left Rear Wheel Speed, Right Rear Wheel Speed, and Gear. recorded the data from 0 to 99 using every 3 kmh as a marker. The calculation I used for wheel speed Difference was Left (wheel on grass) - Right (wheel on track). I did every test twice and averaged them out.

I’ve included all the data, and some graphs. The Initial value settings I used were 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, & 100% of the MLSD value scale, this giving 5/5/x, 16/5/x, 27/5/x, 38/5/x, 49/5/x, and 60/5/x. I had planned on doing every one of these with the same change in the accel value, this project is on hold for now due to other avenues I want to explore. Have fun and I do hope it doesn't give you nightmares :lol:.

Attachments

• MLSD Test 1(1-6).pdf
    1 MB · Views: 49
@DolHaus , @Ridox2JZGTE ,@oppositelock , & @XS , you have always showed interest in my follies, good or bad, so here is my latest venture into the GT6 world of physics.

I wanted to know how Initial value in the MLSD worked and found this idea from a member called bread82 from an NGU thread (I know bad bad me).

Procedure: I went to Silverstone Int, on the long straightaway and stopped just at the beginning of the bridge placing the 2 left tires on the grass and the 2 right tires on the track. Used AT, just floored it and after reaching 100 kmh got back on track and saved it as a best lap. I then used the data logger with the headings, Speed, RPM, Left Rear Wheel Speed, Right Rear Wheel Speed, and Gear. recorded the data from 0 to 99 using every 3 kmh as a marker. The calculation I used for wheel speed Difference was Left (wheel on grass) - Right (wheel on track). I did every test twice and averaged them out.

I’ve included all the data, and some graphs. The Initial value settings I used were 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, & 100% of the MLSD value scale, this giving 5/5/x, 16/5/x, 27/5/x, 38/5/x, 49/5/x, and 60/5/x. I had planned on doing every one of these with the same change in the accel value, this project is on hold for now due to other avenues I want to explore. Have fun and I do hope it doesn't give you nightmares :lol:.

Nice test and data, the result is as I expected to be. Notice how the lower initial LSD locks ( resist wheel speed difference ) in the lower RPM region where torque is not at peak ( less than 6000RPM ) The higher the Initial, the harder for the engine to break away the driven wheels to cause speed difference. You will see variance with harder compound/lower grip tires or higher grip tires and different engine ( torque curve, the flat torque curve can benefit from higher initial torque, not max though ) as well as drivetrain ( FF/AWD/ RR )

When I have posted the Audi TT-RS, the car would be a good test bench for similar test like on the S2000. It drives so well even with high initial and max accel on the front axle :D

Good work 👍
If this shows what I think it shows then it confirms what I've always believed about the Initial over ruling any other setting lower than it. My thought has always been that its a preload and therefore the differential cannot be any more open than the Initial setting regardless of whether it is under acceleration load or braking load

(ie. a differential set at 15/10/5 is actually working more like 15/15/15)

Last edited:
Nice test and data, the result is as I expected to be. Notice how the lower initial LSD locks ( resist wheel speed difference ) in the lower RPM region where torque is not at peak ( less than 6000RPM ) The higher the Initial, the harder for the engine to break away the driven wheels to cause speed difference. You will see variance with harder compound/lower grip tires or higher grip tires and different engine ( torque curve, the flat torque curve can benefit from higher initial torque, not max though ) as well as drivetrain ( FF/AWD/ RR )

When I have posted the Audi TT-RS, the car would be a good test bench for similar test like on the S2000. It drives so well even with high initial and max accel on the front axle
Thanks, it does follow what I thought too, I may have a small run with the Audi TT (Thanks for the suggestion), if I get a chance I'd like to get the info for the other settings I mentioned, but it may take a while, I found a new love in GT6, On Line Racing, especially with everyone using the same car 👍. The difficult part with this test is lower grade tires seemed to grip better on grass and vice versa, just another thing to test :lol:.

Good work 👍
If this shows what I think it shows then it confirms what I've always believed about the Initial over ruling any other setting lower than it. My thought has always been that its a preload and therefore the differential cannot be any more open than the Initial setting regardless of whether it is under acceleration load or braking load

(ie. a differential set at 15/10/5 is actually working more like 15/15/15)
Thanks, at one point I'd like to get the info for the 15/10/5 or in my case 27/16/5 etc., just need a break from this and I know you understand why :lol:. One thing that came up while doing this was something you mentioned but I had never really experienced it, at 60/5/5 when driving on the rest of the track the car was a bit weird to drive, but I won't put out a theory until I've done more tests with this and find a way to analyze this and / or explain it.

This test also yielded two more interesting avenues, the first one regarding track grip, on one test I forgot to put it to real, when I have some time I will post those results, it will be what most people are thinking, but with numerical proof.

The other is a way of using the data logger to find the sweet spot for gear shifting, also on hold for now but since I have some transmission tests I want to make in the near future that one may get a serious look at.

PS, I know how you LOVE columns of numbers so I added the graph's, could never get them to look like I wanted and I was just too tired to learn how :crazy:.

Thank you to both of you, even if both off you are from two different poles of GT6 tuning, I have a lot of respect for both of you and appreciate your friendship 👍, I'm off to go work on our new EAG project :cheers:.

Thanks, it does follow what I thought too, I may have a small run with the Audi TT (Thanks for the suggestion), if I get a chance I'd like to get the info for the other settings I mentioned, but it may take a while, I found a new love in GT6, On Line Racing, especially with everyone using the same car 👍. The difficult part with this test is lower grade tires seemed to grip better on grass and vice versa, just another thing to test :lol:.

Thanks, at one point I'd like to get the info for the 15/10/5 or in my case 27/16/5 etc., just need a break from this and I know you understand why :lol:. One thing that came up while doing this was something you mentioned but I had never really experienced it, at 60/5/5 when driving on the rest of the track the car was a bit weird to drive, but I won't put out a theory until I've done more tests with this and find a way to analyze this and / or explain it.

This test also yielded two more interesting avenues, the first one regarding track grip, on one test I forgot to put it to real, when I have some time I will post those results, it will be what most people are thinking, but with numerical proof.

The other is a way of using the data logger to find the sweet spot for gear shifting, also on hold for now but since I have some transmission tests I want to make in the near future that one may get a serious look at.

PS, I know how you LOVE columns of numbers so I added the graph's, could never get them to look like I wanted and I was just too tired to learn how :crazy:.

Thank you to both of you, even if both off you are from two different poles of GT6 tuning, I have a lot of respect for both of you and appreciate your friendship 👍, I'm off to go work on our new EAG project :cheers:.
Keep me posted as the experiment progresses, very interested in seeing how this pans out :cheers:

I'm not entirely sure what setting accel/decel below the initial does but I think it just confuses the programming, not saying it can't have a positive effect but I just find it slightly hard to predict and therefore puts me off when driving. I'd like to see what the numbers say is happening, maybe there is a way of auto analysing/graphing it using the Motec software?

I love the graphs :lol:

EAG?

Keep me posted as the experiment progresses, very interested in seeing how this pans out :cheers:

I'm not entirely sure what setting accel/decel below the initial does but I think it just confuses the programming, not saying it can't have a positive effect but I just find it slightly hard to predict and therefore puts me off when driving. I'd like to see what the numbers say is happening, maybe there is a way of auto analysing/graphing it using the Motec software?

I love the graphs :lol:

EAG?
If ever you want to have the replays to put through Motec feel free to ask for them, I still can't use that :grumpy:.

Might take a bit of time, can you tell me if when you load them up it displays the date and time of day? If it does I can do it all in one transfer from the PS3 to my computer, if not, ah well we'll do it one at a time.
I believe it does have a time stamp on the file 👍
I can send you the date/times on the files once I get them and we can match up the settings

I believe it does have a time stamp on the file 👍
I can send you the date/times on the files once I get them and we can match up the settings
Perfect, will try to send those today by priority mail :lol:.

Oh sorry I missed something you said ( just starting to wake up)

That stands for Elegance Automotive Guild, it's a project that @Thorin Cain & I started, you can use the link in my signature to go there, but it may not be your bag of tea :lol:, for tuning that is.

Perfect, will try to send those today by priority mail :lol:.

Oh sorry I missed something you said ( just starting to wake up)

That stands for Elegance Automotive Guild, it's a project that @Thorin Cain & I started, you can use the link in my signature to go there, but it may not be your bag of tea :lol:, for tuning that is.
Ahh replicas, no, not really my scene but as long as you're enjoying it then that's all that matters :lol: 👍

Good luck with your project (I love the job descriptions by the way :lol:) :cheers:

We could send him over. He'll do anything for the keys to the spraybooth. Don't know if he'd make a good cuppa or not but his workstations are always tidy :lol:

Are you referring to Me? :rolleyes: :lol: :D My wife say's I make a good cuppa so there :P TL Nice Avatar
251965.jpg
What does your girlfriend think about it? :mischievous: :lol:

Are you referring to Me? :rolleyes: :lol: :D My wife say's I make a good cuppa so there :P
Maybe :guilty: :D

As long as I just look, I live :lol:.
:lol:

Hey buddy you should go take a peak in the common EAG mail, things have been rolling a bit, and we miss you in there.:D
Yeah, we've been worried about you. We thought one of you're Cornys exploded on you or something :scared:

Epic work again my friend. I looked at your results and came to a similar conclusion as DolHaus, although I have not had that realization before your tests. Today is the first time I have had the chance to go back to some of my own tunes and test the settings. First I took out my Skyline GTS-t Type M '91, which I have been battling LSD issues for a while on, and reduced the initial to 8 and accel to 20 and it knocked a full 10 seconds off my 'Ring time! I then took out the Daihatsu SIRION X4 (J) '00 and modified the lsd settings on it and reduced my 'Ring time 12 seconds! I wish I had even more time to spend with your tests as they have really helped my personal tuning. Thank you for your efforts and as always I encourage you to continue work like this. Thanks to DolHaus too for the input as well!

XS
Epic work again my friend. I looked at your results and came to a similar conclusion as DolHaus, although I have not had that realization before your tests. Today is the first time I have had the chance to go back to some of my own tunes and test the settings. First I took out my Skyline GTS-t Type M '91, which I have been battling LSD issues for a while on, and reduced the initial to 8 and accel to 20 and it knocked a full 10 seconds off my 'Ring time! I then took out the Daihatsu SIRION X4 (J) '00 and modified the lsd settings on it and reduced my 'Ring time 12 seconds! I wish I had even more time to spend with your tests as they have really helped my personal tuning. Thank you for your efforts and as always I encourage you to continue work like this. Thanks to DolHaus too for the input as well!
You're more then welcome, always a pleasure to have you drop by. What I like about doing things this way is that I don't have much nonconstructive comments coming in here, not much to argue about numbers :lol:. I've still have quite a few things left to try to understand how they work, transmission, suspension ( that one I've been trying so many different theories and real life setups, still working on my emulator and some frequency math) and a few other things.
What I would really like is to find a formula that would give me the amount of grip a type of tire has, something like
Tire Grip Limit = kg/kmh, have tried a few things but not very conclusive yet.

It's great that you're still able to make improvements on your tunings, just shows that we can always learn something new. So until the next time I finish some secret testing :cheers: and hope you're going for a good motor bike ride this summer, NO twister hunting :lol:.

Notice To All My Friends & Customers

Lately I’ve discovered online racing, I have to tell you it’s pretty cool. We race with no driving aids and fast tire wear with some replica cars. It’s also brought me in touch with something I have neglected from the game, the Driving Experience. I’ve driven tuned cars from a fair amount of people/garages, I’ve participated in the Difficult Car Of The Month, Car Of The Month, a few FITT competitions and tried my best to get as high as I could on the Seasonal Time Trials (my 3 best finishes with my tunes were 521, 532, 535). I’ve had great fun with all of these but I’m now feeling the need for a change and I’m re-questioning what I want to do with my garage, and my time spent here.

I’ve kept three projects or participating events that I can barely fit in my available time,

The Elegance Automotive Guild, this has turned out to be more fun than I thought it would, it’s also been so educational to read up on these classic cars and learn about IRL tuning, plus the added members have given it some new and unexpected directions, and driving these with no driving aids has brought me in touch with the joy of driving. Plus I really love these old classics.

My tuning spreadsheets, those who know me a bit know how I like to document and find ways of testing the physics in GT6. I knew nothing about excel when I started this project and now I’m getting pretty decent at it. I love math, I love driving, so why not combine the two. While working on this never ending project I’ve driven cars with stock settings and a few times I wondered to myself, “Why do I want to change the way it drives ?” The answer use to be “to go faster” but that has lost some interest right now, I’m having more fun just driving stock cars and learning to love their qualities and yes, their quirks & faults, and trying my best to master them.

On Line Racing, I’ve been thinking of joining the Snail League for quite some time, but I just couldn’t find the time to fit it in ( and maybe a little courage), then my good friend Dan started a racing club and I took the leap to go online, one word, COOL. We race about once a week which is great for me, and once in a while with whoever is free we meet for some casual driving/racing, I should have done this a year ago.

Recently a friend of mine had what I consider a great idea, redo the game (notice I didn’t say RESTART, I’m not going to lose all my expensive dream cars that easily) and use only stock cars, no driving aids (allowed to change the BB) with MT. I’ve been an AT guy, though I’ve been trying once in a while my hand at MT, I figure this would be the perfect time to put the AT behind once and for all. I’ll also be losing my much appreciated Driving Line, oh how I’m going to miss you my friend (sniff), also to try to capture as much of the Driving Experience I’ll be using the cockpit view with some decent headphones turned on just high enough to give some feel.

So where does this leave the ‘Fly Me To The Moon Garage’, there are some cool tunes in there, a few rubbish, some neat junk here and there, and some good wasted space. I thought of putting a sign “Owner Out For Illumination”, but then that would attract a crowd and I’d be stuck back here to answer to the mob. So I’ve decided to let it be, if ever I need this space all I’ll have to do is expel the mice and rats that will come make they’re home here, and make a sweater with all the spiderwebs that will fill the rooms, maybe blackmail someone to be an apprentice and have him clean everything (got someone in mind). So for the time being it will slowly fall out of sight from the prying eyes of the unheard, and make it's way to the dark obscure corners of Gtplanet where threads are left to fend for themselves until some savior comes and resurrects them, or ... what does happen to them?

Hope you will all have fun like I will, TurnLeft .

Honda NSX Type R '02 ( 550PP / RS ) Tuned for International A Rain Masters (PP Limit 650)
View attachment 294198
I've been trying to see why PD has included Flat Floors. I've tried it on snow, dirt and road, all of them gave mediocre results. Last thing to try it on was rain, except for the La Sarthe track where top speed is very important, I had great results on Spa and Nurburgring. I beat both the Huayra and Ferrari FXX easily on these two tracks. On Spa I had a 15 second lead, and on the Nurburgring a 20 second lead (crashed x2). On De La Sarthe my lead was 3.939 seconds, and on the last long straight before the final curves I had to block the FXX. Since there were no tire restrictions I tried both Intermediate Rain and Race Soft, I chose Race Soft because I liked more the feel of the car with them. Diver controls = ABS1, all else off. As always, comments are welcomed.

View attachment 125333

Return To Index

Turn Left: Very nice nsx tune, thanks!

Turn Left: Very nice nsx tune, thanks!
Thanks for dropping by 👍, I don't know if you read post #140,
So for the time being it will slowly fall out of sight from the prying eyes of the unheard, and make it's way to the dark obscure corners of Gtplanet where threads are left to fend for themselves until some savior comes and resurrects them, or ... what does happen to them?
but since you're the one who resurrected this thread that sort of makes you ;) ....

Happy you like that one, it's a bit slower with the flatfloor but so much more easier when those raindrops fall on the track, :cheers:.

PS. If you want to try somethings a bit different go take a look at these
Elegance Automotive Guild - New - Mercedes 300SL '54

RIDOX Replica Garage-EvoIV-FQ400-RainXCountach-AudiTTRS-TVRSpeed12-Veyron-TaisanF40JGTC

Thanks for dropping by 👍, I don't know if you read post #140,

but since you're the one who resurrected this thread that sort of makes you ;) ....

Happy you like that one, it's a bit slower with the flatfloor but so much more easier when those raindrops fall on the track, :cheers:.

PS. If you want to try somethings a bit different go take a look at these
Elegance Automotive Guild - New - Mercedes 300SL '54

RIDOX Replica Garage-EvoIV-FQ400-RainXCountach-AudiTTRS-TVRSpeed12-Veyron-TaisanF40JGTC

Have just read post #140 now. "Out for Illumination" sounds good to me. You sound humble enough to accept life – and our cool hobby – is just one big learning curve! I'll be looking to read more of your posts (wisdom) from today onwards

Breaking Brakes Part II

In the first series of tests I went to see how we could measure when the wheels lock up with abs @ 0. The example below is a different car doing those tests. So using those numbers you would get a safe balance of Front=4 and Rear=7 this is where you would get no wheel lock up.

For this experiment I used the Civic '97, No aids, CM tires, MT with 2nd gear maxed at 100 kmh then braking full. The track used was Tsukuba on the long straight.
Picture 3.png

The second part of these tests was to see the influence raising or lowering one brake has on the other My starting point was 5/5. So I redid the same tests but changed the value of the rear to see what effect it had on the front.

Picture 4.png

You'll notice that as I lower the rear, the front wheels look up faster, and as I raise the rear, the front lockups up later.

Notes:
1. Every track has it's own grip factor, what may be right for one track may be wrong for another.

2. You can use a brake force that induces wheel lock if the lowest speed you obtain on that track is higher than the wheel lock up. The BB I would use on Tsukuba with this car would be 5/8 (or 6/8 & 6/9 which I didn't test but might be viable) since my drive wheels (FF) would not lockup since the lowest speed on this track is a bit above 50 kmh, this would give me the most safe braking power possible. It's also the values that give the most balanced braking since the front and rear are almost stopping the car at the same time. You can use higher BB levels by using trail braking or pumping the brakes. Using transmission downshift is something I still have to test to see if there is an advantage or not, it does IRL but I don't know about in GT6 until I've tested it properly.

3. BB should be reverified after any change in weight or suspension settings.

There are a few more tests to be done with the brakes, one being the difference in braking distance between optimal BB and non optimal BB , also I would like to see the difference in using downshifting to reduce the cars speed. There's also braking under wet conditions that have to be tested, and with tire wear. Also to be tested is the effect of suspension settings on the brakes.

Well that's it for now, I'm going back up there on the moon where it's so peaceful, hope this helps someone.

:cheers:

Breaking Brakes Part II

In the first series of tests I went to see how we could measure when the wheels lock up with abs @ 0. The example below is a different car doing those tests. So using those numbers you would get a safe balance of Front=4 and Rear=7 this is where you would get no wheel lock up.

For this experiment I used the Civic '97, No aids, CM tires, MT with 2nd gear maxed at 100 kmh then braking full. The track used was Tsukuba on the long straight.
View attachment 419909

The second part of these tests was to see the influence raising or lowering one brake has on the other My starting point was 5/5. So I redid the same tests but changed the value of the rear to see what effect it had on the front.

View attachment 419910

You'll notice that as I lower the rear, the front wheels look up faster, and as I raise the rear, the front lockups up later.

Notes:
1. Every track has it's own grip factor, what may be right for one track may be wrong for another.

2. You can use a brake force that induces wheel lock if the lowest speed you obtain on that track is higher than the wheel lock up. The BB I would use on Tsukuba with this car would be 5/8 (or 6/8 & 6/9 which I didn't test but might be viable) since my drive wheels (FF) would not lockup since the lowest speed on this track is a bit above 50 kmh, this would give me the most safe braking power possible. It's also the values that give the most balanced braking since the front and rear are almost stopping the car at the same time. You can use higher BB levels by using trail braking or pumping the brakes. Using transmission downshift is something I still have to test to see if there is an advantage or not, it does IRL but I don't know about in GT6 until I've tested it properly.

3. BB should be reverified after any change in weight or suspension settings.

There are a few more tests to be done with the brakes, one being the difference in braking distance between optimal BB and non optimal BB , also I would like to see the difference in using downshifting to reduce the cars speed. There's also braking under wet conditions that have to be tested, and with tire wear. Also to be tested is the effect of suspension settings on the brakes.

Well that's it for now, I'm going back up there on the moon where it's so peaceful, hope this helps someone.

:cheers:
More great work my friend :bowdown:

I was just having a mess about on the Mid-Field seasonal A-spec race and had just increased the wheel size on one of my NSX's I've been using a lot recently. I noticed a big improvement in the braking with the 1" up wheels I just added. The benefit over the course of the lap was in excess of a second :eek: Perhaps wheel size could be added to your list of factors to check 💡 I'm not trying to give you more work, just thought it might be something which could be worth considering :)

Keep up the great testing. There's always something to learn when you produce your findings :cheers:

More great work my friend :bowdown:

I was just having a mess about on the Mid-Field seasonal A-spec race and had just increased the wheel size on one of my NSX's I've been using a lot recently. I noticed a big improvement in the braking with the 1" up wheels I just added. The benefit over the course of the lap was in excess of a second :eek: Perhaps wheel size could be added to your list of factors to check 💡 I'm not trying to give you more work, just thought it might be something which could be worth considering :)

Keep up the great testing. There's always something to learn when you produce your findings :cheers:

Thanks, just added it, I hadn't thought of that :eek:, great idea to check out 👍, if you think of other things I'll put them on the list. I might have to try this on 2 different cars if there is a difference, just to make sure it really applies. May take sometime because I just saw a function I wanted to have in my Lap Time Analyzer and it's going to take a few hours to reprogram it, not very complicated, a couple of "IF" formulas to add to every Test/Track, just long and boring to do :lol:.

Man I wish I had a wind tunnel to test aero downforce properly, be nice to see if the different wheels make a difference there, I don't trust myself when it comes down to using only feel, sometimes things don't feel right but I'm going way faster :crazy:, go figure it out :grumpy:.

Thanks, just added it, I hadn't thought of that :eek:, great idea to check out 👍, if you think of other things I'll put them on the list. I might have to try this on 2 different cars if there is a difference, just to make sure it really applies. May take sometime because I just saw a function I wanted to have in my Lap Time Analyzer and it's going to take a few hours to reprogram it, not very complicated, a couple of "IF" formulas to add to every Test/Track, just long and boring to do :lol:.

Man I wish I had a wind tunnel to test aero downforce properly, be nice to see if the different wheels make a difference there, I don't trust myself when it comes down to using only feel, sometimes things don't feel right but I'm going way faster :crazy:, go figure it out :grumpy:.
No probs :) If I think of anything else, I'll give you a heads-up 👍 Got to love those spreadsheets :sly:

Yeah, a wind tunnel would be pretty useful. There's just not enough data on the data logger to really see what's going on there, or any really :crazy:

Breaking Brakes : Final Chapter

This is my last bit of tests I did using abs=0, the idea behind this was to see how the different components of the suspension would have an effect on the brakes, this was monitored by using the speed of the wheels as they locked up. I used the Custom suspension and changed only one (and sometimes two) values at a time, then recorded them. You can download the PDF's, the first one is the experiment itself, the second is the data that was recorded.

If I'm given the time I will try to finish my MLSD tests/experiment, until then enjoy life and have a good day.

Attachments

• Brakes vs Suspension.pdf
    41.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Brakes vs Suspenpension Data.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 18
This is my last bit of tests I did using abs=0, the idea behind this was to see how the different components of the suspension would have an effect on the brakes, this was monitored by using the speed of the wheels as they locked up. I used the Custom suspension and changed only one (and sometimes two) values at a time, then recorded them. You can download the PDF's, the first one is the experiment itself, the second is the data that was recorded.

If I'm given the time I will try to finish my MLSD tests/experiment, until then enjoy life and have a good day

I congratulate good job. minute details that I would not have time, patience and a virtue:bowdown::cheers:

Back