Flyin' Miata Super Cup | *Congrats to World Champion Aderrrm!*

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 4,456 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thx Nepal :) Remember though, just because you are fast in real life, doesn't make you fast in GT5. Same goes the other way around. But both skill sets set a good platform for the other. No doubt, GT5 is not 100% like real life, same for iracing. In that regard, real-life habits (good habits) can hurt the learning curve going to sims. But once you realize "how to drive" a simulator, you can adapt and the build on that. GT5 has gotten much easier for me, but it's definitely not a piece of cake! hahaha :)

Yes, I agree, but if you have real life experience the adaptation to a racing sim is much easier, because you have the base from real life skills. Now, what I would love to find out is how good are my sim racing skills for real life racing. That's the big question, in my opinion. Lucas Ordonez has proved you can succeed in real life from sim racing, but he might be an exception. But I really want to know this. Its up to me, anyways.

Nice! Keeping up with Thorne is no easy task. Kid is GOOD! *edit* Just read you were leading until you hit the cone! Dang, that is tough.

I was, indeed, there. Got 6th in STS this year. Was second last year. :D I had a terrible time on Hollis' course. Dunno why, as it should have suited me. Just couldn't get it together. The CSP car I am looking to drive is the Becker/McCabe car. Last event I was .0025 off McCabe in it. Reminded me so much of my old SM2 Miata. Just a bit slower in the straights, but faster in the turns! LOL

Definitely, on getting together in the paddock! It is my home lot, so if you ever need any suggestions on places to eat or anything, let me know!

Yeah, more like keeping up with ME is no easy task!!...hehehe, j/k! But in all seriousness, I led Thorne and the rest of the field right down through Thorne's final run on Day 2. I had a 2 tenths lead on the whole field going in to day 2. To boot, I hit the LAST cone on course (just nipped it) to cone away a 69.4, which would have locked in a well over 6 tenths win over Thorne and my first N'tl Championship. I didn't straight line a slalom to do the time. I nailed the run, even lost time hitting the cone, just a lapse in concentration on course, lost my focus for just a second because I had the inner monolouge in my head going "wow, this run is going to win the jacket, no doubt, just bring it home clean." That thought in my head, the momentary loss in attention caused me to just drift out wide before the timing lights. Pretty heartbreaking, but I'll leave it with this, in lieu of the .002 second margin:

-I weighed 220 lbs (I'm now 215:), Thorne weighs 140 soaking wet.
-He's been driving his car all year, I had 9 runs in the car I was driving. :)
-He's a "Pro" driver
-His car is a max effort CR (subtle aero 2.2 liter), Fully tuned making easily 25whp/tq more than the car I was driving, an AP1 (no aero, 2.0 liter)
-He made two "huge" mistakes on his last run, and still improved his time

So you tell me...who did the better job? :)

Well done by Thorne, winning is winning and he did enough to win, he's super fast and I respect him as a driver and was the first to congratulate him, but I hold my head up high. Fact is, he dodged a bullet and got lucky, and he knows it, lol. I'd like to be able to say that I am STR National Champ, but I know, in my mind who the faster man was in Lincoln this year over 2 days. Heck, two guys behind me were less than a tenth away too. So, I'll take it. Plus, like Glagola said... who needs a cheesy SCCA jacket! Knowing I have the driving skills to run with, and win against the very best in the SCCA is all need to put a big smile on my face. 👍

Great job in STS!!! What do you think of Canak this year? Congrats on your pace with Mcabe!

Definitely plan on meeting up for a beer next year!

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, but if you have real life experience the adaptation to a racing sim is much easier, because you have the base from real life skills. Now, what I would love to find out is how good are my sim racing skills for real life racing. That's the big question, in my opinion. Lucas Ordonez has proved you can succeed in real life from sim racing, but he might be an exception. But I really want to know this. Its up to me, anyways.

Totally agreed. Note that Lucas was not just a sim driver. He had real world experience as well in go karts and other big boy cars. Not a lot of experience, but the same kind of experience like a lot of the GT Academy finalists this year; all of the guys, save for one guy, all had real life experience made it to the last race in the 370z's.

I think no matter how you slice it, sim driving can absolutely prepare you to be super fast in real life. But you will need a lot of practice in real life to replicate the same level of speed in the simulator. The feel of the tires, physical fitness, and having no fear, remaining focused under high pressure conditions.

I recomend autocross, it's a great way to get started, and can provide one of the most technically challenging driving experiences available in all of motorsports today. Personally, I love a mix of track and autocross (just started doing more track events, but the fun factor in autocross is tough to beat.)

highspeedringk.jpg

circuitdespafrancorchamd.jpg

These any better? Personally I prefer the bottom one.

Agreed! Start with Auto-x. As I tell my students at the track, you may go twice as fast here, but everything HAPPENS twice as fast at an auto-x.

is this good enough? not sure why it looks so fuzzy. i can try to take another tonight.

S4PyblW0DObeWEpGgI_0.jpg

It's too far away, not focused, the wrong angle (car should be pointing to its left), and the sun should be hitting in from the front not behind.

666 Z06
How do most of you set your ABS? Off? What about brake balance?

I've been experimenting with having the ABS off and at 1. Both settings work pretty well since the 2.0 patch, so its mostly down to driving style IMO.

666 Z06
How do most of you set your ABS? Off? What about brake balance?

I drive with ABS off, no adjustments to brake balance. But the lowest I can get on Nurburing GP/F is 2.19.xxx, and that only happened once and I was never able to get it that low again. After that all I got consistently was 2.22-2.23z

I really want to know what I am doing differently from some on here who are getting crazy low times that are 10 seconds faster than mine. But then again, some here have raced in real life or got far in GT Academy, so I shouldn't be too shocked. :P

Are the times everyone is posting online or offline? I haven't really driven the car yet, I just took it out on GP/F to take a picture (before I realized the headlights default up). I ran a 2:21 on the first and only lap I ran. I believe that was after oil change but before break in. I broke it in last night running the B spec roadster endurance race, so I'm sure I can drop a few seconds off that time, especially with more practice.

8 more driver photos up. Still missing 7 to complete the list.

Edit: I do realize I have the numbers wrong on RedReevos car, will fix later.

I drive with ABS off, no adjustments to brake balance. But the lowest I can get on Nurburing GP/F is 2.19.xxx, and that only happened once and I was never able to get it that low again. After that all I got consistently was 2.22-2.23z

I really want to know what I am doing differently from some on here who are getting crazy low times that are 10 seconds faster than mine. But then again, some here have raced in real life or got far in GT Academy, so I shouldn't be too shocked. :P

I would jump in a practice room have a few races save the replays and watch the fast guys compare what their doing to what your doing. I was watching a few of the replay's from last night and I believe I know now what corners I'm losing time in. Done a 1'15.1 today when last night I couldn't even get 1'15, just need to try and repeat it now and find some consistancy.

Is 2:13.4 (by Outlaw) the fasted posted time so far? I was in a room Monday night with three of the faster racers in this series and they were consistently in the low 2:15s with a few laps snuck into the 2:14s.

I'm still stuck at 2:18.0. Since we aren't able to tune the car, tuning will come in the form of how you set up your wheel/pedals. I busted out my new G27 and am trying to learn the transition from DS3 to wheel. I do see where the pedal control is an advantage (left foot braking and better throttle modulation), but I'm just not as smooth with the steering wheel. Currently at 2:19.1 with the wheel. Need to keep practicing.

Last edited:
I would jump in a practice room have a few races save the replays and watch the fast guys compare what their doing to what your doing. I was watching a few of the replay's from last night and I believe I know now what corners I'm losing time in. Done a 1'15.1 today when last night I couldn't even get 1'15, just need to try and repeat it now and find some consistancy.

Great suggestion. I need to do this as well. I'm complete rubish at this track. Times are all over the place and best lap is 1:15.0xx, which I cannot repeat very often.

Are the times everyone is posting online or offline? I haven't really driven the car yet, I just took it out on GP/F to take a picture (before I realized the headlights default up). I ran a 2:21 on the first and only lap I ran. I believe that was after oil change but before break in. I broke it in last night running the B spec roadster endurance race, so I'm sure I can drop a few seconds off that time, especially with more practice.

I suspect most are online. The difference between online and offline for some car-track combinations can be so great I don't bother with any offline practice. I practice online in my lounge.

Is 2:13.4 (by Outlaw) the fasted posted time so far? I was in a room Monday night with three of the faster racers in this series and they were consistently in the low 2:15s with a few laps snuck into the 2:14s.
Aderrrm had the 2:13.4 although I don't think anyone can touch that save for one or two drivers. I would aim to get consistent low 2:15s and with the NOS draft, that will keep you in touch with the leaders.
All times are online. I'm not sure if Spec 2.0 has made handling online and offline the same but I assume it hasn't so it's best to run laps in either a practice room or within your own lobby.

Watching the replays, it looks like the fast guys are doing a lot of trail braking. It looks like they are able to four-wheel-drift into the corners, maintaining forward momentum while scrubbing off just enough speed to stay on course. For me its very tricky to do this. Most of the time the car plows like a tractor. The fast guys are also very consistent, lap to lap.

I'll be getting some practice in about an hour... just need to drive home from work and fire up the ps3.
While I'm not a front-runner I'm a pretty good analyst (though I need to stop telling people like lapierre where they're losing time :lol:) and Nurburgring.* is one of my better tracks... so if you're way off pace I might be able to offer some assistance.

Greennarcotics

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. 👍

Turn 1, 41 mph. Turn 2, 64mph at apex. T3 combo, 46mph at first apex then throttle on carefully for momentous exit.

I think people are losing a lot of time in sector 2. The downhill left, turn 5, should be easily taken at or above 80 once the driver has their*tires warmed up a bit. The key to these tracks is exploiting the racing line's slightly enhanced level of grip (dark parts).

The following turn's reaaaaally tricky.*Seems like one's doing it a different way every time. The thing you should focus on is getting a good exit coming out of T5 because it tends to try and throw you to the right side of the track on faster runs through it because of the banking profile.

One should brake a lot later going into T5 than most are doing. Well past the cones so one can have a good tight late apex at speed so that the car can then get to the left half of the track quickly in order to brake early and take the short right as fast and smooth as possible for the next straight.

This is a method of sacrificing the perfect apex in the first turn of a two-turn combination in order to have as good an exit as possible from the segment.
Turn 7 should be taken at 55mph consistently at least, faster depending on line taken (the car should enter the turn keeping far left in order to just clip the apex, control the throttle and get on it as early as possible for this very important exit).

Schumacher's flat out. T9 (uphill left) should be taken at 70mph, again, a bit faster if one gets it really right.

T10 (downhill right) is the other big element to a fast lap imo. Go as wide as possible in order to set up for a proper entry. Stay a bit outside of the dark racingline on entry and cut through it a bit mid-corner for best results. You should be able to hold this line at around 75mph. It takes very slight braking on entry and brave throttle on in order to get it right. There's a lot more traction there than one would think. Put more steering angle into it if you're having trouble.

Chicane's a chicane. Brake a bit past the 100m board. Last turn can be taken at 60mph, use as much track as possible.

I was at 5/5 on brake bias w/ abs at 1, and changed to a 4/3 bias ABS 1, and got better results.

I dropped at least .5 sec off my time, but I was in a pissed mood after work and maybe me wanting to kill a client put me in the zone. I'll try again later and see, as there are some spots I'm still a little slow on.

I use a DS3.

How many laps are the races? or how long?
I'm good for anything really. Well.. not a 24hour race.....

maybe they will be about 20 laps or so. That would make the races a lot of fun.

That info will be posted tonight. (for GP/F)

Expect race info for each race to be posted the Thursday night prior to race start.

We always set penalties to off to avoid the ghosting. Races have always been at least 45 minutes with some enduros thrown in.

Remember that all drivers have to make at least on pit stop.
Even if you don't think you need it.

Also RT, you should put the mandatory stop rule in huge text somewhere.

We always set penalties to off to avoid the ghosting. Races have always been at least 45 minutes with some enduros thrown in.

Remember that all drivers have to make at least on pit stop.
Even if you don't think you need it.

Also RT, you should put the mandatory stop rule in huge text somewhere.

I'v only done one "online race" that needed a pit stop. I practice in 40 to 60+ minute stints. Are there designated pit laps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back