FM Vs GT - Discussion Thread (read the first post before you post)

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 8,743 comments
The GT5 sound is much more setup dependant and spatial than in FM4.

GT5 is no more set-up dependent than FM4 at all, both will sound better with a better set-up. However no set-up (and my own is good enough) can alter the issues that exist with the bulk of GT5's sounds.

GT5 is still ahead of FM4 in terms of sound placement on that I would agree (FM4 has however improved in this area over earlier titles in the series).

Uh no. The video you posted is one where the video maker was able to take advantage of the brief glitch that allowed you to keep the stock exhaust installed rather than the racing exhaust that is ordinarily installed, so it in fact has a completely different sound sample from the one Luminis posted. I myself have quite a few RM cars that I managed to get that to have the stock exhaust that I bought en masse when I found out about it, missing out only on the ISF RM and the Challenger R/T.

Last edited:
Neither does the 787B in Forza
I don't know about you, but I honestly nearly came in my pants when I heard the 787B for the first time in Forza 4, in comparison to its' puny engine sound in GT5.

:drool:

Hyland
I don't know about you, but I honestly nearly came in my pants when I heard the 787B for the first time in Forza 4, in comparison to its' puny engine sound in GT5.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H8WCFZbHjc">YouTube Link</a>

:drool:

Well in comparison to the real car. Forza they hot the high RPM correct. But in GT5 they have the idle and mid RPM correct.

Personally what I've found is that Forza wipes the floor with GT as far as sounds go in pretty much every category except for when the cars are idle.

Many GT cars have a very good idle noise, the problem is that this is a racing game which means that you're probably not gonna be spending much time in idle, and if you are then you're probably doing something wrong.

KinLM
Personally what I've found is that Forza wipes the floor with GT as far as sounds go in pretty much every category except for when the cars are idle.

Many GT cars have a very good idle noise, the problem is that this is a racing game which means that you're probably not gonna be spending much time in idle, and if you are then you're probably doing something wrong.

Stock through most sports exhausts GT5 has got right. But yes pretty much correct. The racing exhausts I hardly count for anything useful in the game. I don't use them

Stock through most sports exhausts GT5 has got right. But yes pretty much correct. The racing exhausts I hardly count for anything useful in the game. I don't use them

Yeah, this too.

Many cars (mainly the premiums) have at least decent stock exhaust noises.

But I don't think I've found a single car who's racing exhaust tone I like.

Lately I've been sacrificing that extra 50 or so HP just to have a good engine sound. I shouldn't have to do that, PD need to examine this sound area much better.

Forza has proved that its undoubtedly possible, if GT wants to keep its fan base then it needs to get its act together.

What GT5 has good about car sounds is when you change into the car at garage. Now if they can replicate that to when actually driving in the game, then it would be awesome.

KinLM
Yeah, this too.

Many cars (mainly the premiums) have at least decent stock exhaust noises.

But I don't think I've found a single car who's racing exhaust tone I like.

Lately I've been sacrificing that extra 50 or so HP just to have a good engine sound. I shouldn't have to do that, PD need to examine this sound area much better.

Forza has proved that its undoubtedly possible, if GT wants to keep its fan base then it needs to get its act together.

Yeah i am too talking about premium cars. I pretty much only drive those.

But yeah i totally agree.

Also one other car which sounds beautiful is the Gran-Turismo 350z RS (aka the Amuze/Opera Performance Gran-Turismo 350z RS). Just buy one stock and take it on to the track and stop. And slowly rev it up. You hear that true moded 350Z sound. I mean it is the cars with stock through semi-titanium that sound great. But on some like that 350z if you put the semi-titanium exhaust on it it sounds like butt

What GT5 has good about car sounds is when you change into the car at garage. Now if they can replicate that to when actually driving in the game, then it would be awesome.

That is because that is just a straight up recording of the car with no manipulation from the user. As long as you have good equipment you can't really go wrong with that.

That is because that is just a straight up recording of the car with no manipulation from the user. As long as you have good equipment you can't really go wrong with that.
It shows they have a good source recording and it is not generic, gives optimism regarding this in future GT games to improve sounds by a lot.

I'm starting to think the cars from GT sound like broken vacuum to you people because of the Turbo and NA engine, try driving one stock (Could be wrong) because my cars from GT5P don't sound that bad.

RESHIRAM5
I'm starting to think the cars from GT sound like broken vacuum to you people because of the Turbo and NA engine, try driving one stock (Could be wrong) because my cars from GT5P don't sound that bad.

Actually I don't see this on all cars. Most of the premiums to be exact have a great sound. I don't hear this "vacuum cleaner" that she lot speak of. Maybe that's because I am running a very big sound system.

It shows they have a good source recording and it is not generic, gives optimism regarding this in future GT games to improve sounds by a lot.

I think what Simon was trying to imply is that recording the engine start-up and recording the sounds for the engine noise when the car is actually being driven are two totally different things.

Recording the engine start-up is as easy as recording your own voice; any sound recording device can do it. But you can't just do that for the actual engine noise. The car would be subjected to constant changes in revs and throttle, it would be pretty much impossible to have just a simple recording of the engine noise do a very good job of replicating the actual engine noises.

I think what Simon was trying to imply is that recording the engine start-up and recording the sounds for the engine noise when the car is actually being driven are two totally different things.

Recording the engine start-up is as easy as recording your own voice; any sound recording device can do it. But you can't just do that for the actual engine noise. The car would be subjected to constant changes in revs and throttle, it would be pretty much impossible to have just a simple recording of the engine noise do a very good job of replicating the actual engine noises.
I think he meant about it being a recording rather than being reproduced in the game sound engine and that I agree with as that is what it sounds like to me. Hopefully they get to the level where you can't tell in the game too if it is real or a reproduction.

My point is the audio source quality should be good. Also they must record it more than just start-up sounds and that means they will definately have high quality unique sounds of all cars that will be in future GT games. Currently a lot of the sounds in the game while driving seem generic, placeholder material. Only a few seem unique.

Forza gets a lot harder as the PI number goes up (as the cars get harder to drive), whereas GT5 tends to stagnate at the same difficulty.

You can drive like a total fool in an awful lot of races in GT5 and still walk them, whereas harder difficulty in FM4 even at lower PI levels makes you drive a lot smarter or you won't be able to make up the gap you cause by driving off the track or whatever. Some of that is also due to the frequently very bad AI car pools used in GT5.

What shatters any optism I could muster was that Kazunori said that GT5 was already bang-on realistic, and just less exciting because of that. I mean, really?

Which game do you reckon is harder, I reckon FM4 as GT5 was so easy I felt like PD wanted you to win.
Depends on how you define "hard". I think it's definitely harder to win a given race in Forza, but I found GT5 to be near impossible to play through. Mainly due to how the single player is laid out, though.

I mean whiches harder to win all the non-endurance, non-seasonal events which GT5 is patheticly easy (only GT3 and GT5P I would consider hard).

What shatters any optism I could muster was that Kazunori said that GT5 was already bang-on realistic, and just less exciting because of that. I mean, really?
The optimism is that they haven't really worked on the sounds yet. Otherwise they wouldn't sound so generic in general and some of the PD team I think make music for some of the trailers so hopefully there are some audiophiles who will put the sound right for future GT versions, especially as more should be joining the team.

I mainly drive stock cars in GT5, the sounds are still poor for the majority of cars.

The optimism is that they haven't really worked on the sounds yet. Otherwise they wouldn't sound so generic in general and some of the PD team I think make music for some of the trailers so hopefully there are some audiophiles who will put the sound right for future GT versions, especially as more should be joining the team.
Let's hope so. It's just that, I mean, wasn't there something about Japanese working culture that included to not question your boss? Now, there must be someone on the team who thought to himself "Well, good golly, that V8 there, that doesn't sound quite V8-y." That also begs the question, what did they work on, aside from the car models? They've got to have some sound engineers or something that aren't tied in with 3D modelling...

I mean whiches harder to win all the non-endurance, non-seasonal events which GT5 is patheticly easy (only GT3 and GT5P I would consider hard).
In that case, FM4 hands down. If you want it to, that is... Sure, you can always use rewind to the max or have the AI set to easy. If you're doin git normally, though - which, in my opinion, would mean to not intentionally hamper yourself with a bad car or whatever - and just cranked the difficulty up, yeah, FM4, easily.

Let's hope so. It's just that, I mean, wasn't there something about Japanese working culture that included to not question your boss? Now, there must be someone on the team who thought to himself "Well, good golly, that V8 there, that doesn't sound quite V8-y." That also begs the question, what did they work on, aside from the car models? They've got to have some sound engineers or something that aren't tied in with 3D modelling...

I don't think it is Kaz that is limiting them directly in telling them to make it worse, I think really it is due to a very small number of people working on the sounds and other parts of the game like physics which is hampering the GT games currently in this current generation. It is probably something like a third of people at PDI in each department than there is at Turn 10 and I think it has been around that for the last 10 years so hopefully PDI do something to change that, 50% of size will be a big improvement.

I don't get the continued defending by a number of GT fans of the sounds in GT5, they are rubbish. Forza 4 has amazing sound, I don't get why certain people can't admit it. No they are not perfect but they do a far far better job than GT5s and yes I have a decent sound set up.

hennessey86
I don't get the continued defending by a number of GT fans of the sounds in GT5, they are rubbish. Forza 4 has amazing sound, I don't get why certain people can't admit it. No they are not perfect but they do a far far better job than GT5s and yes I have a decent sound set up.

In certain cases yes this is true. But not all. I am a GT fan and a Forza fan I am not to afraid to admit it that Forza's sounds are more consistent. But like I said before (once again I am not talking about standards only premium cars) some of them GT5 has Forza beat. But it is one of those 50/50 things. Just my opinion

I wouldn't let it bug you mate. This forum is full of complaints about GT sound issues. Many of which don't even post in this thread. That speaks volumes about GT Sound problems.

Yes it's inferior, we all know that. Hardly debatable IMHO.

Back