FM Vs GT - Discussion Thread (read the first post before you post)

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 8,743 comments
Which game do you reckon is harder, I reckon FM4 as GT5 was so easy I felt like PD wanted you to win.

They're both easy. Biggest difference is that GT has the X1 with no X1 cup. With Forza, the final race is all roughly equal cars.

Forza out of the box did not allow you to enter cars faster than the AI, so I would say that in that form it was probably more difficult. However you could always turn off damage and ran the AI into the quick sand that sits off track.

If you limit yourself to cars that are equal to the AI's and don't try to race dirty, the Forza is more difficult. The AI is a little bit faster and a lot more aggressive, at least on the highest difficulty, I've never tried lowered AI difficulty.

In certain cases yes this is true. But not all. I am a GT fan and a Forza fan I am not to afraid to admit it that Forza's sounds are more consistent. But like I said before (once again I am not talking about standards only premium cars) some of them GT5 has Forza beat. But it is one of those 50/50 things. Just my opinion

Please name these cars because so far I haven't come across one, the LFA is a common one thrown around by GT fans but it doesn't sound remotely like the real thing in GT.

Incidentally, I've never fully understood how the adaptive difficulty in the World Tour mode worked. It's never seemed any different to me from race to race, so I'm curious how it establishes the difficulty level.

In certain cases yes this is true. But not all. I am a GT fan and a Forza fan I am not to afraid to admit it that Forza's sounds are more consistent. But like I said before (once again I am not talking about standards only premium cars) some of them GT5 has Forza beat. But it is one of those 50/50 things. Just my opinion

I'm interested in your opinion; how is it a 50/50 thing?

There are only, at best, two handfuls of cars that sound even remotely good enough to be considered accurate in GT5.

Also some of the standard cars sound closer to the real thing than the premiums do, for example the Subaru imprezas sound far better in standard form than premium.

Please name these cars because so far I haven't come across one, the LFA is a common one thrown around by GT fans but it doesn't sound remotely like the real thing in GT.

I think it does but at least close, what you takin about? :irked: I agree the other cars don't even sound good, but IMO, the LFA sounds pretty good.

Incidentally, I've never fully understood how the adaptive difficulty in the World Tour mode worked. It's never seemed any different to me from race to race, so I'm curious how it establishes the difficulty level.

I believe it's supposed to get more difficult the more races you win in a row. But if you lose just one race after winning the last 10 for example, the AI will go back to being significantly easier.

So, if you actually look at the entire car list (instead of overlooking Standards when it's convenient), it's not a 50/50 thing, but instead something approaching 90/10?

I'll echo the others' sentiments though, a few examples would be awesome 👍

I believe it's supposed to get more difficult the more races you win in a row. But if you lose just one race after winning the last 10 for example, the AI will go back to being significantly easier.

This. 👍 I made sure I didn't lose one race and the A.I. had gotten harder (which was great). :)

hennessey86

Terronium-12
I'm interested in your opinion; how is it a 50/50 thing?

There are only, at best, two handfuls of cars that sound even remotely good enough to be considered accurate in GT5.
SlipZtrEm
So, if you actually look at the entire car list (instead of overlooking Standards when it's convenient), it's not a 50/50 thing, but instead something approaching 90/10?

I'll echo the others' sentiments though, a few examples would be awesome 👍

You guys are correct on the handful. Sorry i didn't elaborate more on the 50/50 statement. What I was referring to on that was the example of the 787B. The idle through mid range RPM sounds accurate in GT5. But the higher RPM on it sounds better in Forza. That seems like the reoccurring thing that happens between the two games. That's what I meant by 50/50.

But on of the cars that in my opinion that i have heard in real life while I was living in Alabama (i know not the exact car but almost every part is the same as it). The car in GT5 is called the Amuze/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350z RS (the name is shortened in the premium dealership to the Gran Turismo 350z RS). That car from start up to 8/10 of the RPMs sound accurate (with the stock exhaust that comes on it stock). With some variations on the decline of the RPMs on the game do not sound correct. Slowly rev it up and you will hear what I am talking about.

Also a few others with exhaust changes sound correct. Hold on I will go buy them again and see which exhaust it was.

Also I have noticed in the passed that on some of the cars the intake/exhaust manifolds affect the sound too.

hennessey86
Also some of the standard cars sound closer to the real thing than the premiums do, for example the Subaru imprezas sound far better in standard form than premium.

Absolutely correct. The Ummm 2001 Subaru Impreza Prodrive version with stock exhaust I believe is the most realistic sounding one

Just bought the R33 Skyline from the premium lot and the semi-titanium exhaust sounds realistic to say a real life stock one with a common exhaust mod (saying common as in most dyno videos you see with them moded) If you catch my drift.
BUT like i said before not all RPMs are accurate to the exact sound.

Last edited:
You guys are correct on the handful. Sorry i didn't elaborate more on the 50/50 statement. What I was referring to on that was the example of the 787B. The idle through mid range RPM sounds accurate in GT5. But the higher RPM on it sounds better in Forza. That seems like the reoccurring thing that happens between the two games. That's what I meant by 50/50.

Ah. I'd agree with that but I'd honestly take FM4's idle over GT5's. While the 787B is definitely one of the cars GT5 hits closer to home with, the subtleties between the two are an even exchange.

So, as you've said 50/50 - I concur.

But on of the cars that in my opinion that i have heard in real life while I was living in Alabama (i know not the exact car but almost every part is the same as it). The car in GT5 is called the Amuze/Opera Performance Gran Turismo 350z RS (the name is shortened in the premium dealership to the Gran Turismo 350z RS). That car from start up to 8/10 of the RPMs sound accurate (with the stock exhaust that comes on it stock). With some variations on the decline of the RPMs on the game do not sound correct. Slowly rev it up and you will hear what I am talking about.

Really? I look forward to trying this out then. If so, another car on the sound list for GT5. The more the merrier.

Also a few others with exhaust changes sound correct. Hold on I will go buy them again and see which exhaust it was.

While this is far and away devoid of the point being made here, I've never understood how the Enzo sounds considerably more accurate in GT PSP than it does in GT5.

Terronium-12
Ah. I'd agree with that but I'd honestly take FM4's idle over GT5's. While the 787B is definitely one of the cars GT5 hits closer to home with, the subtleties between the two are an even exchange.

So, as you've said 50/50 - I concur.

Really? I look forward to trying this out then. If so, another car on the sound list for GT5. The more the merrier.

While this is far and away devoid of the point being made here, I've never understood how the Enzo sounds considerably more accurate in GT PSP than it does in GT5.

Yeah i hear you. I hope I made clear what i meant by 50/50 hahaha sorry about that before. I shouldn't know better to post and not elaborate more with that kind of ending hahaha.

And yeah try that 350z out. In my opinion it is one of the closest I have seen in GT5 (for what the car is). Like i said except the really high revs it does sound really accurate. Plus it is a easy look up for a YouTube or I am sure you have heard one with some modes from those companies before in your lifetime so i am sure you will be able to see what I am getting at with that car.

I would do a side by side video and post up the sounds but i highly doubt my phone would show what i am saying better than a first hand or a capture card. Also if you would like to add me on PSN and hop on GT5 i will show you a few others and show findings in a lobby. I have no problem with that.

As for the comment about the Enzo in didn't know that either. I haven't had a psp for years so I can't really comment on that. But does it really sound that different from the psp version to the GT5 version?

Reason i ask if you would like to join a lobby is that I have recently thought about starting a thread with a list of cars with different parts to inform which ones sound the closest to the real thing.

1241Penguin
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5N0Z9dO1hw">YouTube Link</a>

Car in question.

Yeah that's the one. Like i said lower to mid revs sound realistic to some of them in real life

Yeah that's the one. Like i said lower to mid revs sound realistic to some of them in real life

It still suffers from the synthesized upper range of notes like all other cars, which is where you're going to be the majority of the time.

So when gt6 is released I wonder if there will be a gt6 vs forza thread.

It's no question, it's guaranteed. This world will never run out of people saying. "ERMAGHERD DA PEH EHS TWEE ISS ALOWT BUTTER DEN EX BAWKS!" It will just keep going and going and going and going and going and going. You get the deal. :lol:

HAL20XX
It still suffers from the synthesized upper range of notes like all other cars, which is where you're going to be the majority of the time.

Like i said before I am talking about low to mid range RPM. I am not talking about where in the RPMs you are going to be most of the time. I am just talking about the sound in general if you catch my drift

Don't get why people are defending GT5's sound compared to FM4. FM2 still sounds better than GT5 and the gap in quality and realism grew with each iteration of Forza.
This is from hearing both games out of a proper 5.1 setup to HTIB to various TV speakers to my Astro A40 headset.
GT6 needs a major overhaul in the sound department. Sadly what is better, spatial surround in GT5, isn't even benefited by the vast majority of players since most hear these games from crappy TV speakers.

cuco33
Don't get why people are defending GT5's sound compared to FM4. FM2 still sounds better than GT5 and the gap in quality and realism grew with each iteration of Forza.
This is from hearing both games out of a proper 5.1 setup to HTIB to various TV speakers to my Astro A40 headset.
GT6 needs a major overhaul in the sound department. Sadly what is better, spatial surround in GT5, isn't even benefited by the vast majority of players since most hear these games from crappy TV speakers.
If this is to what I am talking about...

Hahahahahahahahahaha why do people keep posting things like this when they didn't read what at least what i was saying. Never said that one was better than the other (except the 787B which i did). We can pretty much agree as I have even stated before that Forza does have GT5 beat on sounds.

Never was defending one or the other. But i would like to add that in my opinion not all GT5 sounds are bad. I will stick by that.

That's the case for, dunno, five, maybe ten cars? It's not one of those 50/50 things, if 600 cars sound better in FM4 and 10 sound better in GT. It's a 60/1 thing.

Luminis
That's the case for, dunno, five, maybe ten cars? It's not one of those 50/50 things, if 600 cars sound better in FM4 and 10 sound better in GT. It's a 60/1 thing.

Please stop quoting the whole 50/50 statement without reading through the posts to see exactly what I meant. Thanks because this post that you typed up is pointless and irrelevant because you didn't read three posts below the one you quoted me on.

TokoTurismo
Such as the Lexus LFA and the Lamborghini Gallardo, those two cars don't sound all that bad IMO...

The Gallardo actually really does sound like the real thing (almost identical at least). I really noticed the sound of that car when I got my G27. Shifting at a low/high RPM but slowly ride off the clutch when going into the next gear really does bring out the beauty of that car.

The Gallardo actually really does sound like the real thing (almost identical at least). I really noticed the sound of that car when I got my G27. Shifting at a low/high RPM but slowly ride off the clutch when going into the next gear really does bring out the beauty of that car.

+1. I highly agree with you on that one. :)👍

I have to disagree with the 787B. I think that's one of the best sounding ones in Forza, esp. the idle. Listening to both, Forza seemed to capture a few other sounds being made by the car giving a much more raw & louder sound.

Back