FM6: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

United States
United States
Dear Forums,

First and foremost, allow me to congratulate T10 for delivering awesome racing games for all of us to enjoy; 10 years and running!

Now, onto the jelly in the doughnut.

I want to use this thread to categorize different aspects of FM6; in particular things we like, don't like and things that need immediate attention.

I made this thread in the official FM forums and I asked that the community replied with their own GBU's and we'll cast votes on what things we like the most and what things we didn't like the most. On that thread, I counted all the votes and noted which user voted for what, but I removed that for this post. Just want to hear your two-cents!

Here we go!

The Good

Your driver no longer plants his/her right foot on the throttle at the beginning of a race. Really bugged me in FM5.
-
AI seems vastly improved; perhaps this is just another case of placebo, but they drive very professionally with the aggression limiter turned on They are also a lot more competitive, which is great!
-
Puddles are awesome.
-
Rain and Night-Time Racing.
-
Graphics and Visuals.
-
Track and Car Selection.
-
Endurance Racing.
-
Online Racing Leagues.

The Bad

Linear career mode, as opposed to the traditional "Do whatever you want, how you want, when you want it" that FM4 encouraged incredibly well.
-
Not a huge fan of the UI; everything seems to be all over the place. The font is horrible, too.
-
Garage Car Management; The inability to organize your car collection.
-
Seating Position / FOV.
-
Cannot view the Starting Grid within the Free Play menu prior to starting the race.

The Ugly

Engine displacement is no longer a displayed statistic, despite the fact that increasing displacement is, in itself, an upgrade option.
-
Cannot select your opponents in Free Play and overall lack of options.
-
No "Launch" statistic available on cars anymore.
-
When installing tunes, it doesn't state what the drivetrain setup for that tune is (FWD/RWD/AWD)
-
No Drag Racing in Free Play.
-
Sounds - Long has Forza been in the near top of audio excellence when it comes to racing games, but most (if not all) the cars in this game are ridiculously quiet compared to their real-life counterparts. I can barely hear a straight-piped 60's Mustang idle - and need I mention the GT350R?

Looking forward to see what you gives have to say!

I don't feel I can fully comment on the physics as I'm still getting used to the tricky simulation steering on the controller. Well, so far physics generally feel right but lift oversteer seems slightly overdone at relatively low speeds. Then again, I have mostly driven street cars with default tires. I still haven't looked into career mode, online multiplayer, and tuning options.

The Good:

Car selection
Track selection
Car sounds and other audio effects
Sound design
Drivatar AI
Rain
Customization
Photomode
Graphics (not consistently good though)
Framerate during gameplay
Environments feel alive
Destructible tire walls
HUD options
Real-time telemetry

The Bad:

Interior FOVs unadjustable
Steering with controller ("normal" feels arcady and "simulation" lacks sensation of full control)
Replays
Inconsistent recording of Drivatar stats
Inconsistent Forzavista depth
Narration feels out of place
Low sun on some dry layouts (fixed sun glares get annoying pretty fast)
Free Play lacks proper options for setting up custom races
Interior tachometers displaying wrong RPM in some cars
Controller settings not accessible from pre-race screen
Main menu fells somewhat laggy
Lifeless UI

The ugly:

Off-centered steering wheel POV in some car interiors
Ridiculous FOV in some car interiors

Last edited:
The Good:
Everything that's been said plus the following:
- Class adjustments from previous games result in much more competitive variety in online hoppers
- Pre-game lobbies that work consistently
- Spectating online
- Eliminated wall-riding

The Bad:
Haven't run into much of that, but I've only been playing for a few days, so we'll see.

The ugly:
- No more description of each stage of each modification
- No displacement figure
- The "replay camera" mode sometimes goes into a brief interior view, which is hideously ugly

Last edited:
HNpKjJn.jpg

The good:

Graphics
Sounds
Amount of cars
Car drives well with a controller

The bad:
Linear career
Slow UI

The ugly:
No qualifying
Almost no longer races in career
No dynamic weather
Rain/night only on some tracks

Biggest gripe for me is the UI and the drag races don't allow engine revving. You immediately start without any warning that it's loaded. Much preferred the UI in FM5. Other than that, all good so far :-)

Can't believe all the UI complaints honestly, this is the best UI in a Forza title.

The car select screen was finally fixed and it's much faster.

It is faster but say you wanted to get to something in the bottom corner of a menu page you have to go through every other option before you get there.. I think they should have added some kind of pointer it would have worked ALOT better. It does look very plain and boring to be honest.. I do prefer it to f5's but I don't think there quite there with the menus in Forza yet IMO.

People complain about the linear career but once you complete a volume you can go back into it at any time and complete any of the series with another car by accessing the Stories Of Motorsport page.

I'd add the improved music score to the good points, possible reliance on mods to keep the game interesting to the bad and Superfriends drivatars and idiot whiners who don't have a single good word to say about T10's best release on the Xbone to the ugly.

Last edited:
The Good:

- Barriers for those who cut corners (even though T10 didn’t close all, example: last chicane at Spa)

- 24 players lobbies

- Graphics (in vista, in the rain, night, the flying dust you can see through the sun, the dust that cars collect after a few laps, the destructible tire walls…no more concrete, thank God)

- We can finally resell cars!

The Bad:

- Low car sound in cockpit or hood view. I hear other cars more than mine. (I use the tv sound, maxed the volume in menu, tried both tv and home theater mode)

- Track Selection (some I really don’t like and some I really miss from previous titles…like Suzuka, Mugello, Motegi, Tsukuba, Maple, Camino Viejo, Sunset, Sedona, etc)

- Interior FOVs unadjustable

- They removed so many nice cars since FM4. SMH.

The ugly:

- Liveries and setups storefront. They didn’t change a damn thing since FM5. I was hoping for the old FM4 system to come back: you could CHOOSE the rating of the livery/setup you’re looking for. In FM5 and FM6 yes you can set the type of livery/setup you want....but they're only organized by date. They're all mixed up between good and bad, so you end up scrolling endlessly....

- Votekick. It doesn’t crash the game like in FM5, ok, but I was hoping for a system like in FM4 where everybody could SEE if there’s a vote going on

- Puddles. I’m sorry but even if I get used to them and learn their position, it’s a mess online with so many players.

- UI font is too small….Can I be honest and say that I can’t see poop? In lobbies I can't read the players names correctly, I need to get close to the tv (and no, my eyes are fine, thank you). Am I the only one?

Last edited:
It is faster but say you wanted to get to something in the bottom corner of a menu page you have to go through every other option before you get there.. I think they should have added some kind of pointer it would have worked ALOT better. It does look very plain and boring to be honest.. I do prefer it to f5's but I don't think there quite there with the menus in Forza yet IMO.

Having to navigate through a UI for what you want is a fundamental flaw for almost every UI in existence, even more so for a UI that you navigate with a controller. Only thing I want is Kinect voice integration in the menu system so I can just say "tune", "test drive" or when on the car select screen "Ford" or "Lotus".

It's definitely faster but just looks.....busy. Although I love the free look.

That's what happens when you have so many features in a game but you also need to make it so you have repeated options depending on your location in the menu. Free Play, Test Drive, Career, Tuning, Painting, Getting Tunes, Getting Paints, Upgrading, Get Cars, Leagues, Rivals, Spins, Message Center and not to mention all the settings menus.

Last edited:
The good: I feel for the first time since the days of GT that I'm playing something special. It feels like I'm playing a game that's making history. It could be that it's starting to feel like spring around here and I'm feeling great overall but I'm getting that. I hope it makes sense to you guys.

The bad: Not having proper championships with point scoring races.

The ugly: The absence of Saabs but that's just nitpicking.

People complain about the linear career but once you complete a volume you can go back into it at any time and complete any of the series with another car by accessing the Stories Of Motorsport page.

I'd add the improved music score to the good points, possible reliance on mods to keep the game interesting to the bad and Superfriends drivatars and idiot whiners who don't have a single good word to say about T10's best release on the Xbone to the ugly.

Indeed and interesting to see what peoples gripes and groans are.
Some are rather frivolous.

I wont be able to play until the 18th but so far it seems very evident this could be the best Forza to date.
Many games get patches with bug fixes or improvements so I would expect some for FM6 too, though of course not all peoples issues will be addressed. Additionally the game has not seen its full release yet and are we not to expect additional content for events, cars, locations etc in future? So FM6 on release may not be as good as FM6 in 6-9 months later?

For some worth considering, look at Drive Club, it was a broken flawed mess on release with many disgruntled and now its a superb title with loads of additional content and still more to come.

Last edited:
The Good:

Physics:
  • Tires have more grip than previous titles.
  • Racing wheel has more ffb in the center of the wheel.
  • Rain doesn't just lessen grip but it treats grip differently, much like how sliding a car in real life in dry or wet conditions is different it is also different in the game.
  • Rain slows your tires ability to gain heat and retain heat.
  • Night lowers the ambient temperature and you lose tire heat faster and it takes longer to gain optimal temperature.
  • Cars actually use fuel at a believable rate now and differ depending on the car.

Graphics:
  • Overall image quality is improved over Forza 5 and even the Forza 6 demo.
  • Night and rain look really good and both offer unique experiences graphically.
  • The game still maintains a locked 60 fps at all times except for replays, mirrors and reflections.
  • All the tracks in the game have had make overs and some are filled with track side decorations ranging from BBQ pits to replica bomb shield balloons.
  • New special materials, that are always welcome additions, look very nice.

Sound:
  • Car sounds are much more defined then they previously were and you can hear cars gargle, whine and pur when you let off the accelerator.
  • Opponents cars are not muted anymore and you can hear other cars as if you were really next to them.

UI:
  • Menu systems are much faster than Forza Motorsport 5.
  • Car select and buying cars are now organized left to right by manufacturer, finally ending the never ending garage scrolling. You can also sort your cars left and right by era or PI.
  • The overall menu system has been overhauled and resembles the Xbox One dashboard, I like the specific placement of even repeated menus depending on your location.
  • ForzaVista is now built directly into the main menu system and makes accessing it pretty much instant, it also integrates nicely with the upgrades and painting menus.
  • Mods are a nice addition but are forgettable if you're not paying attention, would be nice if loading screens in career between races let you choose your mods.

The Bad:

Graphics:
  • Still a bunch of jaggies at a distance even if it's better than Forza 5.
  • Render distance on grass and texture filtering even on cars in third person are noticeable.
  • Puddles sit still like statues of water when you drive through them.

Sound:
  • No individual sound sliders for customizing the audio levels of your engine, tires, opponents cars or music.
  • Default car engine sounds are too low and it breaks immersion when your tires squeal above your engine.
UI:
  • You cannot choose what to change in the pit and everything in the pit repairs entirely too fast... you'd think an engine repair might take more than 15~ seconds.
  • Since you cannot choose what to do in the pit you will basically never have to worry about worn tires unless you burn them up on purpose.

The Ugly:

Physics:
  • Drag racing is still pretty much an after thought.

Graphics:
  • Driver names and logos that appear over opponents cars still reflect on your own car.
  • Liveries on cars, even cars that come with liveries stock, still have low resolution textures and do not look realistic.
  • Still quite a few cars with carried over flaws from past Forza titles, some even reappearing after being fixed before.
  • Cannot paint on tires.
  • While pitting actually happens again we still have no pit crews other then a car that shakes in the pit.
  • Replays are still 30 fps making it useless to record them if you want 60 fps footage, it also makes third person footage look awkward compared to gameplay.

UI:
  • Less car details in the tuning menu which continues a trend from Forza 5; max torque RPM and basic information such as engine displacement are no where to be found.
  • You cannot choose drivatar cars in free play or online multiplayer menus.
  • A achievement requires you to drive manual w/ clutch and win a online lobby race.(Pretty much impossible for those that use automatic.)
  • Sometimes it takes 5~ seconds to load car graphics under a manufacturer in the car select or car buy screen.
  • Cars that should produce more power still rely on engine swaps to obtain an amount that could've easily have been done on the stock motor, forcing you to use engine swaps with undesirable engine sounds.
Overall: Best Forza Motorsport yet if not the best racing game I've ever played but still has its flaws as with any game.

Last edited:
The Good

- Being able to earn credits and XP in free play mode

- Thumbnails finally updating on their own when the car's appearance has changed

- Endurance races

The Bad

- No Japanese tracks

- Still being stuck with the same old body kit options

- Not a big fan of the "podium or nothing" system in career mode. Puts too much focus on winning to advance instead of just enjoying the race

The Ugly

- The game has frozen on me a couple of times when browsing the menus

The Good:
Better than Forza 5 in many places. 24 car grid, pretty healthy car count lots of gems in there. I can make money driving in free mode, this is a boon as the linear campaign is boring a hell aside from some interesting showcase events that pop up once in a while. New tracks are good, visuals are brighter perhaps too bright; more pop to everything, visual effect of water on windshield at speed(not all good with rain). Hydroplaning feels like a new mechanic to incorporate, had some incursions with it feels impressive first couple of times after that it's annoying(still a good attempt at incorporating something new into Forza). Love the new dare stuff, that makes for boosts in earnings. Being a VIP nets you extra bucks too, that's a good thing for those who shelled out extra bucks for that package. It's Forza 5 with lots of extra things that were sorely missed. Free mode does have a random course select which should have been included in main career mode, not sure why career mode needs to be scripted at all.

The Bad: still static venues, cars don't move around much on their suspensions(this might just be Turn10's thing), car interiors still look weird in game, materials look odd and have this annoying shimmer on edges meet(must be an AA thing). Podium or else idea is not fun, perhaps everyone should remember GT2 setup you can complete but you just won't get the trophy until you win but you can still move on. Now because tracks are still set in static times we get things that point this fact out as a constant reminder, ever lap in the same places on certain courses you'll see the same event happening like the dust clouds on Catalunya and Laguna Seca or the water clouding on Sebring...to think they wouldn't make it happen every other lap or randomize it. Some cars not all camera angles are optimum, Agera R's hood view is absolute absurdity, camera is aiming downward instead of more level that hurt my eye muscles as they were constantly attempting to level my view. The AI so far is more like GT's rabbit chase scenes, one car takes off from the pack on Expert setting and until you catch him the rest of the field doesn't. Once you pass him, the whole field catches up but you can pull away and never see the rest of them for the rest of the race. Also we are missing some cars S5S Raptor still missing as is the Speed 12 and others, I grieve for them. Also lots of courses aren't around, Suzuka, Fuji, Mugello, really hope they get those and possibly Ascari and RedBull Ring.

The Ugly: Static venues carries over to rain as puddles are solid visual representations, don't change in volume(wouldn't expect to see that) and they do not reflect volume changes within the physics either as I have seen 10 cars splash their way through the same puddle and worse is watching car after car hydroplane in the same exact puddle; this isn't a pool. Another thing which bothered the crap out of me is placement of puddles, at first I though they were realistically placing puddle but after driving the Nurburgring in the rain I realized that it's not all it seems. I have seen puddles sitting on uphill corners...yes physics defying water, must be ice. Water splash looks incredibly low resolution and it visually jarring to see. Cars look like they do in Forza Horizon 2 when your in the rain(coated in petroleum jelly), most of the effects in the rain are pared back so it looks weird to view them and say this is good. While rain moves on the windshield in a convincing way the faster the car the lower the fps of that movement, it looks weird. Another thing Spa has the most standing water of any course I've driven on so far, that crap is ludicrous.
Night racing is ok, but where there is no artificial light it's almost pitch black seriously that's a rarity to happen in the real world there is always ambient light from the sky and the atmospheric luminescence but not so on Forza 6 night tracks, it's unrealistically black at night but then you look at the sky and it's magnitudes brighter than at car level.
What's unacceptable is all Super GT cars are gone, and what happened to Ruf and Saab?

Still got more time to dig around, race events aren't too bad at all and I'll have to deal with the issues either way, but I'm not going to gloss over them as if they aren't there. Just do like I do with my other games with issues play them and groan about it in my head when an issue upsets me, like AI being stupid. Anyway just finished play for a few hours, 7 million in credits. Hope there are some fixes in the pipeline later on.

No Japanese tracks, no Super GT cars. You can see that Japan is obviously not important to Microsoft at all.

RUF gone is obvious. Why do you need RUF when Porsche is coming.

I'm being facetious but RUF has been pretty pivotal in the past for Turn 10. Remember the RUF showcase events in Horizon?

I think it can be summed up as... Forza 6, some new stuff, some stuff cut, everything you liked in Forza, everything you hated in Forza. Its all here.

I expected the same body kits and wheels. Thing is these wheels and bodykits reflect tastes back in 2008 or whenever Forza 3 came out. They were stale by Forza 4. To keep rehashing the same stuff.... its NFS Underground and Fast and Furious... AND we saw the same stuff in Horizon as well...

No Japanese tracks, no Super GT cars. You can see that Japan is obviously not important to Microsoft at all.

RUF gone is obvious. Why do you need RUF when Porsche is coming.

I'm being facetious but RUF has been pretty pivotal in the past for Turn 10. Remember the RUF showcase events in Horizon?

I think it can be summed up as... Forza 6, some new stuff, some stuff cut, everything you liked in Forza, everything you hated in Forza. Its all here.

I expected the same body kits and wheels. Thing is these wheels and bodykits reflect tastes back in 2008 or whenever Forza 3 came out. They were stale by Forza 4. To keep rehashing the same stuff.... its NFS Underground and Fast and Furious... AND we saw the same stuff in Horizon as well...

Microsoft hates Japan which is why there are over a hundred Japanese cars in Forza 6.

Microsoft hates Japan which is why there are over a hundred Japanese cars in Forza 6.

Because you know, Japanese cars arent sold in America or the West.

Another game/simulator arcade whatever omitted Japanese cars too and see how that went.

Let us contrast with Australia. Here's a country with 22 million people. I question how many people really warm to V8 Supercars and yet they're all here. I wonder if the relative success of the Xbox in Australia is a reflection of that? I wonder.

Because you know, Japanese cars arent sold in America or the West.

Another game/simulator arcade whatever omitted Japanese cars too and see how that went.

Let us contrast with Australia. Here's a country with 22 million people. I question how many people really warm to V8 Supercars and yet they're all here. I wonder if the relative success of the Xbox in Australia is a reflection of that? I wonder.

Yet Xbox One and Forza 6 sell a order of magnitude more in Australia than Japan.

They are directly catering to their most profitable regions and more Japanese tracks in Forza isn't going to change the abysmal sales.

Well, to be honest, aside from Suzuka, nothing really shines in Japan as far as racetracks go... And with Honda apparently being very selfish with the licensing, I dout we'll see it again.

Since they've redone it Fuji has been neutered and has very little appeal, Tsukuba was okay because of the Best Motoring implications but that's long gone, Motegi is absolutely useless, more than boring and I hate it with every fiber of my body (90 degree corner, straight, hairpin, straight, 90 degree corner, rinse, lathe, repeat and so on and so forth) Sugo is widely unknown, T1 Aida has all but been forgotten if it even exists anymore, Autopolis is boring, Ebisu is too small (and would only appeal to the drifting community), Fujimi Kaido was not real, and the other ones are all niche racetracks with very little appeal globally, the kind of stuff that only people who've ever watched an Option or Best Motoring video would know about.

Couldn't agree with @-Fred- more: I miss Suzuka, but really am not fussed about the others being gone. I'm currently enjoying all the new real life tracks that've been added... well, most. I know it's blasphemy, but I've really never cared all that much about Monza. I'm also completely disinterested in Hockenheimring, but that's a returning track.

Back