"Ford Performance" Blue Oval Merges Ford Racing, SVT and RS into Single Brand + More

• Thread starter Slash
  • 667 comments
In a way, but supercars were designed to go fast. Trucks were designed to haul stuff, not to break performance records.
So what about all those peoples trucks who are modded to well over 1500hp?

Can horsepower aid in hauling, or would that be torque?

Horsepower is, really, all that matters from an absolutist point of view.

Torque curves/figures generally give you an idea of the character of that horsepower.

A 700hp raptor, if geared correctly, could pull just as much as a 700hp tractor/lorry (ignoring things like the chassis breaking under the load) despite the lorry/tractor having probably 4x more torque.

Not useless.. POINTLESS. There's a difference.

Fine, I incorrectly quoted your post, so let me retract that post and instead, I'll rephrase it:

"Just as pointless as a Ferrari or Pagani or Koenigsegg or Bugatti, right?

Just because you don't have a need or desire for it does not make a car or truck pointless."

In a way, but supercars were designed to go fast. Trucks were designed to haul stuff, not to break performance records.

Just as there can be super trucks as well. One can argue that cars are designed to convey people around, not to break performance records.

There are truck races and there are rallies that are well suited for a truck. Then there's trail running that most cars would just get destroyed doing at anything more than a very slow speed.

If anything is pointless about a Super car, it's selling it in places that have speed limits. Granted, owning a Super fast car does not mean one has to go fast all the time. In the same breath, I can say super fast highways should be made just for cars that can go 150mph and above.

This truck is definitely not pointless. It's intended use is Off road. I'm not an off road enthusiast, but I'm sure there are less restrictions than on road. Maybe watching out for wildlife paths and park reserves are issues. Pointless would be making this truck and Ford says you CAN'T take it off road. Or saying you CAN'T use full throttle.

Let's see, super cars can reach their performance limit on a couple dozen that are scattered around the globe.

Pre-running/Baja style trucks can reach their performance limit anywhere in the thousands of miles of desert and mountain that cover the globe. They're also used (not can be used, are used) by people who need off-road performance and utility in the same package, US Border Patrol for instance. I've taken a Raptor off-roading. It is not pointless and neither would a 700hp variant be.

A truck that can haul myself, 3 friends, and all of our camping/recreational gear into some of the most remote wilderness out there? Psh. A truck that can do all of that *and* be a part of the fun? Pointless. :rolleyes:

You want to bring up 2-3 story fall onto hard dirt as evidence of the Raptor being terrible? Dakar race vehicles would face serious damage attempting that. Is your understanding of physics really that terrible or do you honestly not recognize how insane that jump in the video was?

Seriously dude, how have you not learned? I feel like this is the 20th time you bring the Eurosnob attitude in and just get demolished by basically every single other person in the thread.

Last edited:
It is, but Ford even marketed it as being able to jump short distances. Which it will handle fine if you don't go overboard.
Plus there was a period time (possibly to this day) where Ford was happily fixing them basically at cost (occasionally even under warranty) when particularly stupid Dudebros went all Baja 1000 with them.

Last edited:
The truck was never designed to do that. Small jumps, yes. Jumps like the video, absolutely not.
Hey man don't let that get in the way of a good dig at those dumb yanks and their trucks. They're pointless man, pointless!

If it's going to be lightweight. It needs to be downsized to this
Si790VhhOmIgYkuIMSDZ4wZerpMN0bu62XKQHlr19Svap2QNtvL0IHUEip6MZN2iJ93t-L6HFnprST3tRQvZj6QN4FVLuwYfrsU9fPuqKuklEX5WBE6AU2lBNUOAmF9nzyr_12DFXcHsC2lsWde-9tca4QSzQw4nqRRLfPo=w443-h332-nc

I can see another group of V8 purists throwing protests at this again, just like the Ford GT ones
Because nobody likes change. Kidding.

I'm all up for the TT V6 setup. If people go ahead and complain that their cars sound like wusses, then I dunno.

I can see another group of V8 purists throwing protests at this again, just like the Ford GT ones
Cept the ones bitching cannot even swing a Ford GT, heck few of them can even afford the current one.. used or salvage!

I cannot afford one either, however I cannot complain if Ford is using a proven motor.

The single cab aluminum bodied trucks are pretty light as-is.

Exactly how much lighter does that aluminium body make the F-150?

Yeah, I figured the F-150 can't be as light as the Ranger. The ranger being as big as it is, the past models had to be much lighter as small as it was. But then, it's purpose was to be faster and handle better than the 454 SS. Still, would be interesting to know how much lighterbit is versus the original Lightning.

Back