Ford planning LeMans Return + Ford GT revival

• Thread starter Slash
  • 824 comments
They will likely follow it up with a 200 production run convertible version, tends to be the trend with limited number supercars.

I kinda wish it was more of a normal supercar so it would be made and sold in numbers more like the old Ford GT.

Not if your Manufacture is Ford and your Model is GT, which is obvious for each 3 iterations. More importantly the last iteration didn't have it and it was built during the time the "we shall build a spyder option to make people think they're getting something special!" got off the ground.

The Ford GTX1 roadster was a semi OEM project. This design looks even easier to produce as a convertible than the previous generation. It might not be a tradition but you never know given the limited release of this model.

How do you figure this is easier? Those rear fenders are literally attached only by the underbody and 2 "arms". I don't think this is design that will work particularly well with such large aerodynamic gaps for airflow on a convertible, either imo.

The Ford GTX1 roadster was a semi OEM project. This design looks even easier to produce as a convertible than the previous generation. It might not be a tradition but you never know given the limited release of this model.

Yeah I have to agree with @McLaren on this, it would be a futile exercise when the obvious goal is to make a limited run hypercar that pays homage to actually going back and winning at Le Mans. The idea of a roadster/spider variant wouldn't fit in. Especially when it would ruin the car aerodynamically.

How do you figure this is easier? Those rear fenders are literally attached only by the underbody and 2 "arms". I don't think this is design that will work particularly well with such large aerodynamic gaps for airflow on a convertible, either imo.

It would work fine,

11156172_922237517798069_8509716219819798947_n.jpg

Unlike the old GT which had a lower rake up to the rear of the passengers heads a larger piece of engine window glass. If anything the higher waistline and side strut things on the new one would make it much more ridged.

Yeah I have to agree with @McLaren on this, it would be a futile exercise when the obvious goal is to make a limited run hypercar that pays homage to actually going back and winning at Le Mans. The idea of a roadster/spider variant wouldn't fit in. Especially when it would ruin the car aerodynamically.

From a heritage point of view yes I totally get it, but nowadays companies usually want to milk a 'PR exercise' for all it's worth... plus you have the extremely rich customers in Asia and the Middle East who would easily pay double for a convertible.

Last edited:
From a heritage point of view yes I totally get it, but nowadays companies usually want to milk a 'PR exercise' for all it's worth... plus you have the extremely rich customers in Asia and the Middle East who would easily pay double for a convertible.

Yes but a production run of them I doubt, maybe asking for a customization from Ford when ordering. Also most companies nowadays don't build road GT cars to go racing, which is what seems to be the case from Ford. They didn't build this because they thought the public had to have it, but rather due to the requirement of going racing and it's obvious from how more of a race car this is than a street car.

I don't disagree with you that this wouldn't be a simple thing if say we were talking about Ferrari or Chevy or Aston and such.

That's not a convertible, though. Might as well make the current car a targa top of that's what it's going for...

That's not a convertible, though. Might as well make the current car a targa top of that's what it's going for...

That's what passes as a convertible on a supercar these days. Most of them literally have a few feet of roof removed and that's it.

Convertible Supercars coming at you @Robin.

2015-Corvette-Z06-Convertible.jpg

Targa C7
2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-review-2014-medium_3.jpg

488 GTB Convert
Ferrari-1.jpg

Huracan
lamborghini-huracan-spyder-2015-frankfurt-auto-show_100527902_l.jpg

I threw in a Targa vs the Convertibles to show the difference between what you've said and posted to what actually seems to be the case. There is far more removed than what the Ford GT images gives.

Yeah it must be anti-lag or something to do with turbo cars because the M4 does something similar.

Traction control. Anti-lag systems work off-throttle, not on.

It happens during gear changes on the M4...

And anti-lag systems aren't just off throttle, they were developed in WRC cars to help them off the line.

Last edited:

And anti-lag systems aren't just off throttle, they were developed in WRC cars to help them off the line.

Yes to help them off the line in lower revs to get the PSI up so lag wouldn't happen and the car wouldn't have to sit there moments prior trying to spool up a large turbo. Same thing with today's world, things are more advanced but the idea is still the same, the lower part of the power band sees a loss of boost and usually enters that when off throttle or in slower sections but still needing turbo to be spooled.

Indeed, but that video you posted seemed to show the traction control bog the engine and stop the burnout.

Its not coming to GT6. It was likely only a timed exclusive to Forza 6.

GT sport maybe?. Remember there was a waving Ford flag on the FIA manufacter's cup wallpaper. And by the time GT sport gets launched, the Forza exclusivity would ended

hopefully...

Btw, what up?!. I'm a new member here! :lol:. So hello everybody! :lol:

GT sport maybe?. Remember there was a waving Ford flag on the FIA manufacter's cup wallpaper. And by the time GT sport gets launched, the Forza exclusivity would ended

hopefully...

Btw, what up?!. I'm a new member here! :lol:. So hello everybody! :lol:

It could, although it'll likely be tricky considering the Forza badging. Ford has plenty of vehicles though that are recent and could be in GT sport so I wouldn't solely base the GT's appearance on that, otherwise that's a bad time waiting to happen.

As for the exclusivity, pretty much. Turn 10 usually tends to be good about not completely hogging cars from others, just making the wait abit longer.

Also: Welcome, new person :cheers:

It could, although it'll likely be tricky considering the Forza badging. Ford has plenty of vehicles though that are recent and could be in GT sport so I wouldn't solely base the GT's appearance on that, otherwise that's a bad time waiting to happen.

As for the exclusivity, pretty much. Turn 10 usually tends to be good about not completely hogging cars from others, just making the wait abit longer.

Also: Welcome, new person :cheers:

Well yea!. I even found funny that Driveclub (which whole rooster can be on GT too) had the P1 GTR first and not Forza, I know it's a license thing, but I thought T10 would have it first due that Forza 5's main candy is the P1.

And thanks, old person! :cheers::gtpflag:

Sony owns the license of driveclub's cars so there's hope!

Back