Ford planning LeMans Return + Ford GT revival

• Thread starter Slash
  • 824 comments
I think those stripes look okay, but I kinda prefer the wider stripes I saw on one of the prototypes.
2016-FORD-GT_SKV_0834.jpg

Ford GT '66 Heritage Edition

"Celebrating the anniversary of Ford's historic victories at Le Mans has always been part of the return of the Ford GT. The 2017 Ford GT '66 Heritage Edition is a stunning tribute to the car that kicked off Ford's string of Le Mans victories in 1966", said the brand's Executive VP of Product Development and Chief Technical Officer, Raj Nair.

2017-ford-gt-66-heritage-edition-1.jpg

2017-ford-gt-66-heritage-edition-2.jpg
2017-ford-gt-66-heritage-edition-14.jpg

I was in that wind tunnel this past thursday with my Formula Buckeyes FSAE team. The building has three wind tunnels and we were in #8 just like this GT was. We did most of our testing at 30 mph because it's more suitable for our application. I held the smoke wand while several other team members, including our aero team leader, took video and photos of it. We mainly collected data on various gurney flap setups in various locations (mostly endplate gurneys, actually) and got a lot of interesting results. Our main takeaway is that at the slow speeds we run, making the wing skinnier in order to fit vertical gurney flaps on the outside of the endplates is actually more functional that simply making the wing the maximum width. We also use that head in our car to mount a helmet on and get accurate competition-style readings. After driving there in the morning, we ran all day from 3 pm to 11 pm.

Anyways I just wanted to brag a little about using the same wind tunnel that Ford uses to test all their production cars and race car. Pretty cool!

EDIT: The acoustic head's name is Malcolm. He's cool. Also, see that little piece of white duct tape with a sharpie mark on it? That's the measured center line of the car for frontal area measurement purposes. We did that too. Before this car was put in the wind tunnel it was set in a laser photography rig which projects lasers onto a backing screen behind which is a camera that photographs the shadow of the car which is then used to calculate the actual frontal area of the car.

Last edited:
More Ford GT's have been spotted doing testing.

According to a Jalopnik commenter:

"One of these prototypes had been parking at my apartment complex several nights a week all summer long. Turns out it was driven by a college intern who was tasked with gathering data for cold start engine calibration."

x0lgqz4efoektkrdlann.jpg

More Ford GT's have been spotted doing testing.

According to a Jalopnik commenter:

"One of these prototypes had been parking at my apartment complex several nights a week all summer long. Turns out it was driven by a college intern who was tasked with gathering data for cold start engine calibration."

x0lgqz4efoektkrdlann.jpg

Damn some engineering students have all the luck

Bet you anything his Daddy got him the job. Normal interns wouldn't be trusted with an envelope!
Yeah I don't buy that either. My dad works for Delta Air Lines and there's loads of interns who did mechanical engineering which make sure everything is per the numbers and other various chores.

Last edited:
Eh, I'd believe it. There was a handful of young-looking (couldn't be more than a year or 2 removed college) guys working in the Chip Ganassi garage this weekend with the race cars. May be a program Ford has.

Eh, I'd believe it. There was a handful of young-looking (couldn't be more than a year or 2 removed college) guys working in the Chip Ganassi garage this weekend with the race cars. May be a program Ford has.

Yeah Ford has various programs, I have a friend that is set to go to Dearborn next year to work for Ford. Ford has a big intern program and as long as you have the requirements as an engineering student and then go on to do well during said internship you can expect a job. It's how engineering works and why you see such people that young out of the university working for these groups, the programs are tough I'd hope people would be having such jobs when done as I hope I do when I'm done.

Back