Ford USA - Ranger and Bronco Return?

• Thread starter Slash
  • 560 comments
I know, was just saying. ;)
Ahh, I see what you did there.

I read that the Xterra might be coming back and that the next Frontier will share it's bones with that in a similar vein as the Ranger/Bronco and Tacoma/4Runner.

Ahh, I see what you did there.

I read that the Xterra might be coming back and that the next Frontier will share it's bones with that in a similar vein as the Ranger/Bronco and Tacoma/4Runner.
News to me. :lol: Over the next couple years all I know about are new Altima, face-lift Maxima, new Sentra, new Versa sedan, new Pathfinder, new-ish Frontier. Yes, I said new-ish. ;)

News to me. :lol: Over the next couple years all I know about are new Altima, face-lift Maxima, new Sentra, new Versa sedan, new Pathfinder, new-ish Frontier. Yes, I said new-ish. ;)
All it needs for me to even consider it is a new interior, and considering I like even the base Titan S's interior, I have high hopes. If the Cummins 2.8 becomes a reality for less than $37k then I'd be sold.

All it needs for me to even consider it is a new interior, and considering I like even the base Titan S's interior, I have high hopes. If the Cummins 2.8 becomes a reality for less than $37k then I'd be sold.
New interior for sure, outside might resemble the Titan Warrior a bit. Don't hold your breath on the diesel. Only power train I know of is a new V6 with a 9-speed auto.

And a damn midsized truck today is the size of a full size truck. Hell, the Colorado is about as long as the smaller Silverados and the only major difference between them is the width of the truck.

Said the same thing already, but it holds true again and again.

New Ranger spied offroading in Moab, Uath
Jalopnik.com
z8zg1big0zwztxvqbmzk.jpg

New Ranger spied offroading in Moab, Uath
Jalopnik.com
z8zg1big0zwztxvqbmzk.jpg
Ford released videos of it a few weeks ago. Under the tarp on the tailgate it's shaped like an F150 with big blue oval in center and says RANGER in chrome lettering across the tailgate.

I'm intrigued but somewhat disappointed by the powertrain choice.

I guess I didn't expect a N/A V6, but I certainly wasn't expecting the 2.3 as the sole option at launch.

Well I'll definitely be giving the Ranger a fair look when it comes time to buy a truck here in 1.5-2 years. After glancing at the various trims and packages that will be available, I'm happy to see that the one I'm most interested in will be available in the Supercab body style.

I'd still have some concerns about the 2.3, but if the price is right, I think I'll be able to stomach them.

3Qnu4qY.jpg

If this truck compares well against the TRD Off Road and Canyorado, a 4x4 model should ring in around $35k MSRP or less. Now that I think about it, that truck there is about exactly as I would spec it (SuperCab XL-STX, FX4, Silver).

Hope they offer the 3.5 or 3.7 V6 as an option. If so, a crew cab FX4 would be a good replacement for my Escape when it comes time to replace it.

Hope they offer the 3.5 or 3.7 V6 as an option. If so, a crew cab FX4 would be a good replacement for my Escape when it comes time to replace it.
I wouldn't hold out for that. The 2.0 and 2.3 have been steadily replacing V6's. It'd seem strange if they were to reverse that trend unless there was a catastrophic fault with the 2.3 which made it completely undesirable.

And the 3.7 has been steadily disappearing in most consumer models. If any V6 shows up, it'll likely be the 3.3.

I wouldn't hold out for that. The 2.0 and 2.3 have been steadily replacing V6's. It'd seem strange if they were to reverse that trend unless there was a catastrophic fault with the 2.3 which made it completely undesirable.

And the 3.7 has been steadily disappearing in most consumer models. If any V6 shows up, it'll likely be the 3.3.

Forgot about the 3.3, which would be fine for me. I'd prefer to go with a non-turbo option, if Ford can't provide one I'll go for a Colorado Z71.

Not launching it with the diesel is a bad move. Although since Ford seems to cheat on their diesel tests, maybe that's not the worst thing in the world.

If this truck compares well against the TRD Off Road and Canyorado, a 4x4 model should ring in around $35k MSRP or less. Now that I think about it, that truck there is about exactly as I would spec it (SuperCab XL-STX, FX4, Silver).

It won't compete with the TRD Off-Road till they come out with the Raptor. However, it should compete well with the Colorado/Canyon in non-ZR2 trim fairly well.

Not launching it with the diesel is a bad move. Although since Ford seems to cheat on their diesel tests, maybe that's not the worst thing in the world.

From what I understand in this, Ford was caught up in a sweep of blanket lawsuits with no actual legitimate evidence. I think the lawyers were hoping that they might expose something in the wake of Dieselgate, but I'm not terribly well informed on the subject.

It won't compete with the TRD Off-Road till they come out with the Raptor. However, it should compete well with the Colorado/Canyon in non-ZR2 trim fairly well.

I feel like you're thinking of the TRD Pro. The TRD Off-Road package is akin to the Z71 and FX4 packages in pricing and equipment. I personally think it gets the best equipment and clearance, but I don't believe it is head and shoulders above the FX4 or Z71.

The Pro, ZR2 and "Raptor" Ranger will be an interesting comparison.

From what I understand in this, Ford was caught up in a sweep of blanket lawsuits with no actual legitimate evidence. I think the lawyers were hoping that they might expose something in the wake of Dieselgate, but I'm not terribly well informed on the subject.

From what I've read up on the subject, it looks like it was brought up by the same company that did the VW lawsuit. But according to their documents, they did do testing on F-250 and F-350's, however I'm not really seeing the evidence anywhere. It might be in the document, but that's far too long for me to read.

I feel like you're thinking of the TRD Pro. The TRD Off-Road package is akin to the Z71 and FX4 packages in pricing and equipment. I personally think it gets the best equipment and clearance, but I don't believe it is head and shoulders above the FX4 or Z71.

The Pro, ZR2 and "Raptor" Ranger will be an interesting comparison.

:dunce:

You're right, I should've known that.

Frontier is keeping N/A V6...
"...he said, conspiciously leaving out the size of said V6."

That's good to hear, but also not too much of a surprise. If you guys announced you were putting the 1.8t in it then I'd spit my drink on the screen in surprise.

And then maybe laugh, unless the fuel efficiency was remarkable. If the Ranger has surreal real-world MPG's then that will definitely sway my decision. The Tacoma's fuel economy is miserable and only gets worst if you start slapping armor on it.

Last edited:
That looks..really nice. I'm curious on how Chevy will respond to this with their ZR2.

I think it'll depend on what engine the Raptor comes to the US with. I wouldn't be surprised to see a variant of the twin-turbo V6 from the ATS-V show up in it at some point.

From Ford Australia
The Raptor’s new 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine is 1.2 litres and one cylinder smaller than the 3.2-litre five-cylinder engine that will continue to be used in the Ranger line-up, and 200cc smaller than the Ranger‘s entry-level 2.2-litre four-cylinder turbo diesel.

Despite that, its output of 157kW and 500Nm is 39kW and 115Nm more than the 118kW/385Nm of the 2.2, and 10kW and 30Nm more than the 147kW/470Nm of the 3.2.

The high-compression EcoBlue diesel – which is also offered in a single-turbo applications for Ford’s commercial vehicles such as the Transit – has a pair of turbochargers on the hot side of the longitudinally mounted inline engine, with a large intercooler in front of the radiator.

The turbos are staggered in size, with the smaller unit spinning up earlier in the rev range before the larger unit takes over to provide boost higher up.

Latest Posts

Back