Ford USA - Ranger and Bronco Return?

• Thread starter Slash
  • 560 comments
We can't be too heavy handed with assuming cause and effect. Remember that the market for two-door mini convertible SUV's used to be rather big with the Isuzu Amigo, Suzuki Sidekick, Ford Bronco, Toyota Rav4, Kia Sportage and Chevy Blazer competing against the Wrangler, and the Jeep is now the only player left in the game. Now the only convertible "SUV" on the market that isn't a Jeep is the Land Rover. I'm going to look at the Jeep being successful because it's a Jeep. I'm also going to look at the fact that the Wrangler's sales surged when they added the Unlimited model and that Ford themselves went out of the way to make a SuperCrew Raptor, no matter how impractical it might be as an off roader over the shorter wheelbase'd SuperCab.

I'm not advocating Ford make a two-door Expedition and I sincerely hope you don't think I was implying that. I simply believe that Ford would do better to make a more mature off-roader that people can live with day to day, unlike a Jeep. The FJ Cruiser and Xterra as well as the original Explorer and last "real" gen of the Cherokee are examples of that.

The Raptor has shown Ford that there's a market for enthusiast trucks with off-roading chops and they very well could focus the Bronco on the rock-crawling, trail-raiding crowd rather over the Baja-blasting, pre-running Raptor demographic.

The gamble is: Where do they risk cannibalizing sales the most from? Their own SUV's? The Raptor? Does what they market only attract Wrangler buyers and if so, is only getting half of that pie worth it? Do they gamble that FJ Cruiser and Xterra owners are willing to shop American when they go to replace their aging SUV's? Do they cross their fingers that there's a huge untapped Bronco market that's been growing over the last twenty years?

It'll be interesting to see what they do.

I put money on it being more like the Bronco II than the actual big Bronco since they said it was supposed to be Ranger based again. If history tells us anything that's how the last Bronco ended up; sub model or not.

It would certainly make sense to me if they did that, spreading the cost of developing shared mechanicals between the two.

It would make sense but would potentially turn away a lot of customers.

Time will tell. My personal hope is something Raptor based.

It'd have to be a smaller SUV, I can't think of any market that would buy a full sized SUV with two doors outside a really small niche group of people. And Ford would be smart to build it to cater to the off-road/adventure crowd. With the exit of the FJ and the Xterra, there's only the Jeep Wrangler (which is awful to live with) and the 4Runner (which is really overpriced). I mean Ford could make upper trim models like Toyota does with the 4Runner that caters to people that think they need a heavy duty 4WD to drive to the mall in 2" of snow, but I think they'd make their money with something that offered great interior space, an integrated roof rack that could easily fit a kayak, well thought out approach and departure angles, water fording up to 24", a good low range, and e-lockers. Couple all of that with a diesel engine with a good torquey output and some optional accessories like skid plates, all-terrains, cargo management, and even some other stuff that's just gimmicky.

With the Ranger, they really just need to follow Toyota's formula with the Tacoma and they'll be fine...but they need to offer a diesel unlike Toyota.

I'd be really surprised if Ford didn't offer the diesel I5 from the Transit in the Ranger. It's already been certified here in the US, it's already available internationally in the Ranger, it would be stupid not to. GM can't build enough diesel Colorados and Canyons, same with Ram on the EcoDiesel 1500. May as well grab market share the easy way.

It'd have to be a smaller SUV, I can't think of any market that would buy a full sized SUV with two doors outside a really small niche group of people. And Ford would be smart to build it to cater to the off-road/adventure crowd. With the exit of the FJ and the Xterra, there's only the Jeep Wrangler (which is awful to live with) and the 4Runner (which is really overpriced). I mean Ford could make upper trim models like Toyota does with the 4Runner that caters to people that think they need a heavy duty 4WD to drive to the mall in 2" of snow, but I think they'd make their money with something that offered great interior space, an integrated roof rack that could easily fit a kayak, well thought out approach and departure angles, water fording up to 24", a good low range, and e-lockers. Couple all of that with a diesel engine with a good torquey output and some optional accessories like skid plates, all-terrains, cargo management, and even some other stuff that's just gimmicky.

With the Ranger, they really just need to follow Toyota's formula with the Tacoma and they'll be fine...but they need to offer a diesel unlike Toyota.
That's exactly why I think it'll be more of a Bronco II thank the big Bronco.

Just without all the rollover issues.

So with the Ranger returning and the Bronco coming with it, does that mean the Escape is dead?
It would sure be nice. Best seller maybe, but my god they are bitch to even do an oil change on.

Gauranteed half hour job.

So with the Ranger returning and the Bronco coming with it, does that mean the Escape is dead?
Well Both are not in conflict with the Escape which is just a Ford Kuga, it's on a Global platform meaning it's going to be very profitable.

Why would you think that? First of all, the bronco is likely to be a two-door SUV that's more off-roadish, like a Jeep Wrangler, so the soccer-moms who buy the Escapes wouldn't be turning to Broncos. I don't see the Ranger as a threat to the Escape (but more of a threat to the smaller F150's), especially since the Escape is Ford's best-selling vehicle besides the F-Series.

Why would you think that? First of all, the bronco is likely to be a two-door SUV that's more off-roadish, like a Jeep Wrangler, so the soccer-moms who buy the Escapes wouldn't be turning to Broncos. I don't see the Ranger as a threat to the Escape (but more of a threat to the smaller F150's), especially since the Escape is Ford's best-selling vehicle besides the F-Series.
Because I don't know exactly what category it'll be in. Considering there's a growing line of people telling me "You're wrong, stop being a 🤬 idiot" I'll stop there.

there's a growing line of people telling me "You're wrong, stop being a 🤬 idiot"
Huh? No one ever called you an idiot or said anything bad about you. It's not the worst thing in the world if we disagree with you; everyone is entitled to there own opinion.

Huh? No one ever called you an idiot or said anything bad about you. It's not the worst thing in the world if we disagree with you; everyone is entitled to there own opinion.
What was there to disagree with? I ask stupid questions. I thought the Bronco would undercut some of the Escapes sales just because it might be in the same segment. See, stupid thought. I believe y'all, I'm just tired being a perpetual idiot. Y'all can get back on topic now.

What was there to disagree with? I ask stupid questions. I thought the Bronco would undercut some of the Escapes sales just because it might be in the same segment. See, stupid thought. I believe y'all, I'm just tired being a perpetual idiot.
No need to be so hard on yourself though. Everyone makes mistakes, it's only natural.

Continuing info of Ranger and future model development.
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/A5E537AB9936F037CA258091001A1351
Although Mr Fields was tight-lipped about the secret new products slated for development in Australia, he did not deny that the next-generation Ranger ute and its SUV spin-off, the Everest, would again have Australian origins.

This time around, the Aussie-developed Ranger is expected to be introduced into the North American market from about 2018, meaning more work for the Asia Pacific team in Victoria to prepare it for that jurisdiction.

It will be made in the United States for that market, as well as at existing sites in Thailand, South Africa and Argentina.

As well, industry rumours suggest a born-again Bronco SUV – most likely based on the Everest – is also on the agenda at Ford Asia Pacific Vehicle Development Centre facilities in Victoria.

Best known in Australia for the infamous OJ Simpson slow-motion police chase through Los Angeles after the murder of his wife Nicole, the Bronco has been out of production for more than a decade, but is now slated for resurrection in 2018.

So it seems that Ford really is bringing back the Bronco. I wonder how where in the range they're going to fit it at.

So it seems that Ford really is bringing back the Bronco. I wonder how where in the range they're going to fit it at.
I think they may put it below or next to the Raptor as an off-road oriented machine, possibly even as a direct competitor to the Wrangler.

There was worries it was going to be based on the Everest as a glorified Explorer but Ford has said while based on the Ranger it will be body on frame and sized between the original and second generation. So it will be smaller than all 78-96 Broncos.

I'm just hoping they learned from their mistakes with the Bronco II.

Man I might have to wait to get a truck until I see what this new Rangers all about, which is ok because it will be a bit yet anyways. Right now I'm 80% sure I'm getting a Tacoma, but if the new Ranger looks good, and has good reviews, we shall see.

Man I might have to wait to get a truck until I see what this new Rangers all about, which is ok because it will be a bit yet anyways. Right now I'm 80% sure I'm getting a Tacoma, but if the new Ranger looks good, and has good reviews, we shall see.
Tacomas have such good resale value that you can probably buy one now, use it for two years until the Bronco and Ranger come out, and sell it for almost what you payed for it.

Tacomas have such good resale value that you can probably buy one now, use it for two years until the Bronco and Ranger come out, and sell it for almost what you payed for it.
I know, I checked out some used ones online today. Loaded TRDs still bring $30k+ with 50k+ miles on them.

Back