Ford USA - Ranger and Bronco Return?

• Thread starter Slash
  • 560 comments
Probably the most realistic render yet.

FB_IMG_1524530429735.jpg

Configurator for the Ranger is up and running...sorta: Link

$35,000 for a four-door 4x4 without a V6 option or diesel engine? That seems a bit steep, especially without a V6 or diesel option behind it. While it doesn't need a V6, it really does need a diesel. But for marketing purposes, a V6 seems like it's needed since both the Tacoma and Colorado have one.

It's also missing an option for a 6ft box too, which both the Tacoma and Colorado also have...as makes the truck way more useful at being a truck.

Looks like a fully kitted out, top of the range model will hit a little over $47,000. Which leaves me wondering, why not just buy an F-150?

I think if I was in the market for a truck again, I'd probably go with the Colorado.

Looks like a fully kitted out, top of the range model will hit a little over $47,000. Which leaves me wondering, why not just buy an F-150?
Because F-150s are big as hell and unwieldy, uses more fuel, there are probably plenty of people with garages too low to fit one in there, etc. I'd much rather have any of the mid-size trucks myself. The Ranger was always a favorite back in the day and I'm pretty confident it's going to sell like hotcakes. I expect it to actually take some sales away from the F-150...I'm sure there are plenty of Ford fans who would buy smaller but Ford didn't offer anything smaller, and they'd refuse to buy the Colorado or Tacoma.

EDIT: The Bronco is expected to be based on the Ranger/Everest/Troller chassis so any Bronco renders with similarities to the F-150 are totally wrong. The Bronco won't be enormous and will share many dimensions and proportions with the Ranger. In the case of the Brazilian Troller, it actually has very short Jeep-like overhangs, a front live-axle, and a two door body. If people aren't basing their Renders on the Troller and Everest then they're probably wrong.

Hell yeah. That's straight Troller.

Last edited:
Damn ****'s gotten expensive. Remember when the ranger looked like this and cost $12k out the door?

1026285072.jpg

(I fully understand why the new Ranger is priced the way it is, I'm just pointing out how much has changed in 20 years)

Damn ****'s gotten expensive. Remember when the ranger looked like this and cost $12k out the door?

1026285072.jpg

(I fully understand why the new Ranger is priced the way it is, I'm just pointing out how much has changed in 20 years)
I remember when you barely had to lift a leg to get in it.

I also remember when the exhaust pipe literally rusted and fell off while it was just parked on the street.

EDIT: The Bronco is expected to be based on the Ranger/Everest/Troller chassis so any Bronco renders with similarities to the F-150 are totally wrong. The Bronco won't be enormous and will share many dimensions and proportions with the Ranger.
If the new Bronco is going to be based on the Ranger then shouldn't it be called Bronco II

Ford believes that the Ranger will not effect F150 sales in the US
Ford Motor Co. doesn't believe the midsize Ranger will steal much business from its profit-generating full-size F-series trucks when the smaller pickup returns to North American showrooms early next year.

"There always will be some substitution, but this is more of a lifestyle vehicle for people who want to use it for different purposes," Joe Hinrichs, Ford's president of global operations, said Monday at an event celebrating the Ranger's expected start of production here next week. "The F-150's gotten bigger over time and more expensive. We believe there's room now to slot the Ranger in very nicely in the showroom."
Autonews.com

That's probably why they aren't bringing the Ranger Raptor, because for that type of truck a lot of people would go for the cheaper model.

I do find it ironic that Ford isn't selling the Ranger Raptor in the US...you know the place that kind of spawned the idea of the Trophy Truck (well, with Mexico). Hopefully at least Mexico does get it.

Do Raptors sell in Europe? Seems like a strange car to buy over there.

Played around with the configurator for the Ranger, results were disappointing. I built a mid level XLT 4X4 crew cab optioned the way I'd want it and it came out to $40k. :crazy: The lack of colors and options was a bit surprising as well.

Meanwhile, at the Chevy dealer next to my work they have similarly optioned (or better equipped) V6 Z71 Colorados going for $32-$35k.

Look at the silhouette behind the side profile of the baby bronco... I'm pretty sure that's the actual full size bronco, it even has a spare tire on the back of the silhouette...

Like that star wars poster years ago haha.

No solid axle. That's going to piss off a lot of people.

I don't know why it would. Having IFS will make it better on the road and also prevent the death wobble that plagues Jeeps. Assuming it'll be that stubby and high off the ground, it'll need all the stability it can get.

Also, IFS works fine in most off-road situations, you really only need a solid axle if you're doing things like rock crawling. I'm guessing most people who buy a Bronco will more or less just drive down forest roads or out to places like Moab (where many trails can be tackled in a crossover). Anyone looking to do any serious off-roading probably won't buy a new rig to begin with either. Once the Bronco hits the used market and if it's decent enough off-road people will just do a solid axle swap on it like they do with Tacomas.

I don't know why it would. Having IFS will make it better on the road and also prevent the death wobble that plagues Jeeps. Assuming it'll be that stubby and high off the ground, it'll need all the stability it can get.

Also, IFS works fine in most off-road situations, you really only need a solid axle if you're doing things like rock crawling. I'm guessing most people who buy a Bronco will more or less just drive down forest roads or out to places like Moab (where many trails can be tackled in a crossover). Anyone looking to do any serious off-roading probably won't buy a new rig to begin with either. Once the Bronco hits the used market and if it's decent enough off-road people will just do a solid axle swap on it like they do with Tacomas.
I think it's the expectation that it's being advertised as a back to its roots offroad machine to rival the Wrangler. That would imply a rugged drivetrain meaning likely a solid axle. Otherwise it's just a SUV Raptor. More so, because Dana Corp has trademarked it with Fo Mo Co last year or so.

The other thing is if it doesnt come with a V8. Might as well be a Bronco II.

Back