Formula 1 2013 Santander British Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 714 comments
United Kingdom
Warwick Uni
lbsf1 GTP_lbsf1
obsmu (my brothers acount)
F1's made a hop back across the pond to continue with the European portion of the season. With the Mercedes testing row now seemingly over that now lifts a dark cloud over F1 and racing can now become the main focus once again. Many of the teams would count this as their home race, as do lots of drivers so they will all want to perform well here.
2013 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX

article-2170108-13F74F58000005DC-477_634x397.jpg

Race Date: 30 Jun 2013
First Grand Prix: 1950
Number of Laps: 52
Circuit Length: 5.891 km
Race Distance: 306.198 km
Lap Record: 1:34.661 - K Raikkonen (2012)
2012 Race Winner: Mark Webber (Red Bull)
2013 Tyres: Hard & Medium

5c10lg.png

Enjoy

Last edited:
This'll be the first time in three years that I've watched the race live on TV instead of at the circuit. Gonna be weird.

Are tickets still available? Heard tickets weren't selling as much this year due to Vettel's performance combined with McLaren's lack of pace and Lewis's troubles/lack of win.

Can't wait, hope it stays dry.

The track favours Red Bull, but Alonso is always fast here. Deciding factor will again be the tyres though.

Lotus have got a substantial update for this race as well, so I look forward to seeing what they have come up with. Potentially James Allison's last input to the Lotus team.

Are tickets still available? Heard tickets weren't selling as much this year due to Vettel's performance combined with McLaren's lack of pace and Lewis's troubles/lack of win.

Can't wait, hope it stays dry.

Doesn't surprise me. In 2011 people started leaving after Button's wheel came off.

The majority of British racing fans are better than that, they just want to see racing. I'm pretty sure the reason tickets are still on sale is because of the extortionate prices that many can't afford.

The majority of British racing fans are better than that, they just want to see racing. I'm pretty sure the reason tickets are still on sale is because of the extortionate prices that many can't afford.
It's worth a note that each of the GTPers who did the Le Mans trip this weekend managed to get tickets, drive down, eat, sleep AND buy souvenirs for less money than the face value of a British GP entry ticket.

It's worth a note that each of the GTPers who did the Le Mans trip this weekend managed to get tickets, drive down, eat, sleep AND buy souvenirs for less money than the face value of a British GP entry ticket.

Quite, it's ridiculous. £165 to stand on the grass for the whole weekend.

I bet at Le Mans you don't have to wait 3 hours to get of the car park either 👎

Seriously? How much are the grand stands seats? In our GP the cheap seats for the full weekend are ~15 pounds. Grand stands are ~300

Anyway weather forecast says it should rain on Friday and Saturday. As usual. No offense to any Brits on here but this is why I seriously hate the British GP. It's almost always raining at some point. I think I said it before, that it's fine if it rains during the race but NOT during practice/qualifying.

I bet at Le Mans you don't have to wait 3 hours to get of the car park either 👎
It's a close-run thing, but I suppose there's 250k people all trying to leave an 8.5 mile long facility that uses public roads on those same roads all at once. The queue out of the campsite was impressive!

Seriously? How much are the grand stands seats? In our GP the cheap seats for the full weekend are ~15 pounds. Grand stands are ~300

Anyway weather forecast says it should rain on Friday and Saturday. As usual. No offense to any Brits on here but this is why I seriously hate the British GP. It's almost always raining at some point. I think I said it before, that it's fine if it rains during the race but NOT during practice/qualifying.

I don't like it either, if it's not raining then it's dry and the tyres are getting chewed up because of how many high speed corners Silverstone has. Quali was ruined last year by the rain.

Granstand seats start at £230 I believe.

Oh and if you think the weather forecasts are going to be accurate four days ahead, well, they're not.

I don't like it either, if it's not raining then it's dry and the tyres are getting chewed up because of how many high speed corners Silverstone has. Quali was ruined last year by the rain.
Rain will ruin any qualifying session because you'll probably end up with half the grid out of position.

Granstand seats start at £230 I believe.

Oh and if you think the weather forecasts are going to be accurate four days ahead, well, they're not.
Well if the grandstand seats are that cheap you have nothing to complain about lol. I'd love to have a seat facing Maggots and Beckets.

Oh and as for the weather forecast, you don't really need one to expect rain at Silverstone do you? I'm not going to believe it won't rain on Fri/Sat until I actually see it dry.

Well if the grandstand seats are that cheap you have nothing to complain about lol. I'd love to have a seat facing Maggots and Beckets.

£230 is still a lot of money to the average UK consumer. That's also for the small uncovered stands around the first few turns. If you want the covered main stands that's £390.

Oh and as for the weather forecast, you don't really need one to expect rain at Silverstone do you? I'm not going to believe it won't rain on Fri/Sat until I actually see it dry.

Contrary to popular belief it doesn't rain in the UK the whole summer. The weather is expected to be dry all week and it certainly could be dry at the weekend as well. I'm not saying it isn't going to rain I'm just saying going by forecasts more than a few days in advance is foolish.

£230 is just for the Sunday and is the starting price. It's the grandstand at turn 2. Becketts I believe costs around the £350-400 mark as it's a higher band, £230 being Band 9 and Becketts being band 3. Not cheap at all for 1 day.

In comparison, Moto GP is £95 for a 3 day roving grandstand ticket, £110 to reserve a seat and £80 for general admission. Superbike World Championship is £40 3 day roving grandstand. Hell you can got to the biggest NASCAR event of the year, Daytona 500 for less than 40 quid. Obviously flights add some money but still.

Its sad because I really wanna go to the British GP at some point. I just can't justify paying for it when I can go to the Festival of Speed 2 weeks later for £50 and see a lot more cars and get close to them.

Yeah you have the idea, I went to the 2011 and 2012 race and planned to go this year, but the complete shambles with the parking and the constant rise in prices put me off this year (as much as i still want to go) I'm not at all surprised that they are down on sales.

Why have they not taken it to Donnington yet? They talked about it before the renovation...

The plans to move to Donington collapsed completely when the owners went bankrupt, it will never happen now. Besides Bernie would still charge them the same so prices would have still been high.

It's a close-run thing, but I suppose there's 250k people all trying to leave an 8.5 mile long facility that uses public roads on those same roads all at once. The queue out of the campsite was impressive!

Correct me if I'm wrong (of which I probably am) however wasn't it said during the problems last year that this problem only happened because they hadn't finished upgrading the roads yet since the opening of the new pits, and thus this year they said the roads would be improved and the traffic issues would decrease.

Or they just said that to try and avoid blame.

I completely agree on the price being extortionate. Goodwood Festival of speed is so much better value, you get to see modern F1 cars (along with every other conceivable car) far closer than you could even dream of at a grand prix event.

I'm expecting Lotus to better on this track as Kimi has himself pointed it suits better their car.

Ferrari, Red Bull, Lotus, Mercedes / Force India. Thats the order I guess teams & drivers end up. (Mercedes is a little bit question mark still)

Can't wait, even if race turns again "boring", the season is exciting.

Correct me if I'm wrong (of which I probably am) however wasn't it said during the problems last year that this problem only happened because they hadn't finished upgrading the roads yet since the opening of the new pits, and thus this year they said the roads would be improved and the traffic issues would decrease.

Or they just said that to try and avoid blame.

I completely agree on the price being extortionate. Goodwood Festival of speed is so much better value, you get to see modern F1 cars (along with every other conceivable car) far closer than you could even dream of at a grand prix event.

I managed to avoid most of the problems last year. It was only when you got within about 200 meters of the circuit entrance that the queues would start. The roads north and south of the circuit are narrow country roads, so it was horrendous trying to leave after the race with everyone flooding out of the campsites.

Can we put "formula 1" tags to the thread please?

I've been lost with this one and the tire gate thread because they're not tagged. Whenever I visit the website I do so through a link with the F1 filter and it doesn't show this.

edit

RE: Pricing issue

I think 200-400 pounds for a weekend is on par with other F1 GPs and in most of them, the difference between a Sunday ticket and a weekend ticket is miniscule. You can't really use "it's only for 1 day" argument.

I know I am mad but I have promised myself I will buy myself entry to the Paddock Club one year. Going to cost over £3000 for just me if my maths and the web site I saw are correct but I want to do it once.
Going to have to do a lot of saving.
This year though 3 day general admission.

I'm just hoping for a good race and that Räikkönen, Alonso and Hamilton score more points that Vettel.

I confidently predict a win for Jenson Button.

After all with such an amazingly great car combined with his stunning good luck at Silverstone, victory must be a slam dunk.

I'm so sure of victory that I'm not even going to bother watching the race. I'll be watching the 3 hours Blancpain race at Paul Ricard instead.

Back