Formula 1 2013 Santander British Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by lbsf1, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Samus

Samus

No he didn't.

"These kerbs have been in since 2009. We've had thousands and thousands of cars go over these kerbs and they have been absolutely fine,"

He is saying the kerbs have been there since 2009 and to date they've caused no problems. He doesn't imply they were used in 2009.

2. Pezzarinho17

Pezzarinho17

From what I understand, the cuts caused punctures rather than instant explosion of the tyres. The drop in pressure delaminated the surface which then tore itself away from the sidewall of the tyre.

Before Britain, we saw the outer surface remove itself from the steel band, leaving the carcass intact (Bahrain). The bonding process was then revised, so the tyre gripped the steel band carcass better. Instead of stopping the delamination however, the rubber pulled the carcass away as well to the spectacular degree at Silverstone.

My thought in all of this is the thought way back to the start of the season where Pirelli stated the difference in the tyre was a softer side wall. This is where I believe the tyres are now more prone to cuts of this nature where they were not in previous years at the same circuits.

3. DK

DK Premium

Personally, I'm hoping for a member of the VW Group. If that is the case, my money's on Lamborghini, as Audi and Porsche are focused on Le Mans AFAIK.

4. Nessy

Nessy

They were in F1 before (Lamborghini), they used to supply engines (iirc), so maybe they will make a return.

5. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

I can't see that happening guys, VAG is all about racing in series relevant to their road cars and as far as I can work out, none of the brands have any interest in F1.

6. Famine

Famine Administrator

Apparently the e-mail the FIA asked for from Pirelli to explain tyre failures at Silverstone "includes notes on tyres being mounted the wrong way round"...

Ruh-roh...

7. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Is it even possible to mount tires the wrong way? :odd:

I thought they were designed a certain way that prevented them from being put on backwards (Like the teeth on the wheel nuts or whatever).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  8. Famine

Famine Administrator

Some teams have been running the rear wheels on opposite hubs - so the OSR wheel is on the NSR hub and vice versa. The reasons are complex but there can be a performance and/or life advantage to it.

9. Nessy

Nessy

Seriously?

Yeah, you're more than likely right.
    Though i do seem to remember there being rumors, about the possibility of Porsche making a return a while back.. but with their refreshed involvement in WCC next year, (and the reason you've already stated) they've probably got no desire to be in F1.

10. Roo

Roo Premium

Putting tyres designed for the left side of the car on the right and vice versa.

Pirelli's action plan

11. niky

niky Moderator

Think that one had slipped everyone's minds... I recall that Mercedes was doing it... but I didn't realize how many other teams were doing it, too...

12. zippy_the_cat

zippy_the_cat

All entirely reasonable in my view.

The camber issue is obvious -- some teams were visibly running extreme angles last weekend, and a couple years back Red Bull played so fast and loose with Pirelli's recommendations at Spa, I think it was, that Horner and Newey acknowledged afterwards that they'd taken excessive risks with driver safety.

The pressures likewise. If Pirelli say 19 psi is the lower limit and a team instead goes with 16 psi, any failure is very much on the team.

The side-swapping business was documented earlier in the year. More risk-taking by teams.

Now let's see if Charlie and the stewards start enforcing track limits.

13. dhandeh

dhandeh Premium

14. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Oh, now I understand. It quite possibly answers why the tire that traditionally takes the majority of the load wasn't the ones exploding, though that might not be entirely accurate either.

15. Famine

Famine Administrator

Just as a reminder:

[​IMG]

16. Nessy

Nessy

With blatantly obvious direction arrows, there really is no excuse.

17. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

^ And there's an example of "improper mounting"...although it worked.

-tree'd.

18. dhandeh

dhandeh Premium

Even Kwik-Fit can get tyres on the right way.

19. Nessy

Nessy

I know this is going to sound crazy/stupid, but do you think they're doing swaps to counter the directional wear rate of the tyre.. at expense of rotational torsion? (Yeah, like i know what that means :lol:, i don't BTW, just clutching at straws.)

20. Samus

Samus

Gary Anderson gave a great explanation why teams were swapping them round a couple of GPs ago. It very much is on purpose.

21. Ardius

Ardius

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22762318

22. Nessy

Nessy

Cheers Ardius (& Samus). :tup: I'd never heard of "ply steer" before. So, that's what they've been up to.. I wonder whether Pirelli picked up on it straight away, and if so, did they warn the teams that it's a strict no-no, or did the warning fall on deaf ears?

23. SilverArrow

SilverArrow

They've known about it and been letting them get away with it since Melbourne.

24. Nessy

Nessy

What a mess. bring back the ever lasting Bridgestones, i say. :lol:

25. Lizard

Lizard Premium