Formula 1 2016 Grand Prix Of Europe

The fact this seems to be common knowledge in the paddock privately but isn't reported anyway is somewhat strange, like they're trying to hide it. I mean it wouldn't be the first thing known in the paddock but not reported but when it comes to a drivers health you'd think it'd be covered, more than just commentators mentioning it.
So long as he passes the FIA health checks, he will be cleared to race, and apparently it was worse in Montreal. Nevertheless, it sounds like a bout of pneumonia rather than a garden variety of cold. Haas don't have a reserve driver, so there isn't a nominated replacement unless they can coax Vandoorne out of McLaren. But they would have to make that decision soon, as any replacement driver would need to take part in FP3.

Has anyone got a map that shows the DRS zones?
Here
bEqwitZ.jpg

and Hamilton's lap with onboard camera

Last edited:
What like as in don't get a crap start?

If only the clutch wasn't an inanimate object, maybe it'd listen to the race engineers.

Baku track workers taking safety seriously.

k6sddIa.jpg

"Masks? Nah we've only got one, our hands will be fine".

Say hello flash burns!

Exactly what I thought and later that day... "why do my eyes feel like they're on fire"

Eh, he talks big, but I'll bet that he still clocks up as many hours as anyone else. The entire point of the simulator is to fill the gap left by the lack of testing, and if it they didn't work, they wouldn't have invested so much in them.

Well

Well, he's correct. But the point is if its good for the engineers then that's why you have to do it. It's about getting more data for them with reduction in physical practice.... Bit harsh as well considering his Brother is a keen sim racer...
Also talking from a racing background we like to walk the tracks as part of the race weekend, its nice, take a bike even or just stroll around and talk to other people on the track. Its not all about learning but part of the event. But each to there own.
Bit like you don't have to mix with other drivers and have a BBQ in the paddock..but its nice to do it..

I got the impression in one interview yesterday Lewis didn't want to be there, seemed very removed. I wonder like with football when some guys hate all the training some drivers just sometimes can't be bothered with the practice sessions, it must get boring at times.
I remember Eddie Irvine saying he was bored during the Spanish GP one year he won. Barry Sheene said he used to get bored when he was in front all the time... Maybe Lewis is trying he hardest to become a 'maverick' James Hunt / Ali type...

Last edited:
Eh, he talks big, but I'll bet that he still clocks up as many hours as anyone else. The entire point of the simulator is to fill the gap left by the lack of testing, and if it they didn't work, they wouldn't have invested so much in them.

Never underestimate a team's capacity to spend mega money on something if they can't spend it on something else.

Never underestimate a team's capacity to spend mega money on something if they can't spend it on something else.
Oh, I don't doubt it. But Mercedes developed a rear wing specifically for Baku. How does Hamilton think they did that? He might see the simulator as an overrated video game, but the team is the one using the data that he gathers and using it to develop the car.

Maybe Hamilton should contest the 2017 season in a car designed purely in rFactor, and he's only allowed to play it for an hour a day. Meanwhile, Rosberg can have free reign over the Mercedes simulator. We'll see where they finish the season.

Oh, I don't doubt it. But Mercedes developed a rear wing specifically for Baku. How does Hamilton think they did that? He might see the simulator as an overrated video game, but the team is the one using the data that he gathers and using it to develop the car.

Maybe Hamilton should contest the 2017 season in a car designed purely in rFactor, and he's only allowed to play it for an hour a day. Meanwhile, Rosberg can have free reign over the Mercedes simulator. We'll see where they finish the season.

I suspect CFD followed by Wind tunnel rather than Sim work, since the latter can't validate the data, but still I'd say Hamilton and Rosberg could offer you a more accurate answer about how involved in the process they are. After all they are part of that team not just posting about it online for the purpose of either a fan boy saying my PS1 is better than a Mercedes SIM or a hater using it to have a go at someone he don't like much...

The kerb at Turn 6 is to be removed altogether and replaced with paint. The others will remain welded with epoxy injections in the bolt holes.

Tilke isn't sure why they failed, they're the same design as kerbs in Mexico and Singapore. BBC.

I suspect CFD followed by Wind tunnel rather than Sim work, since the latter can't validate the data, but still I'd say Hamilton and Rosberg could offer you a more accurate answer about how involved in the process they are. After all they are part of that team not just posting about it online for the purpose of either a fan boy saying my PS1 is better than a Mercedes SIM or a hater using it to have a go at someone he don't like much...

To be fair I don't find prisonermonkey is coming even close to that. He's actually correct and Lewis even says it, It helps the engineers... its not ALL about the star drivers despite what the fans of drivers think. If Lewis is paid to do sim work he should do it no questions, hardly working down the mines is it?
He's off on another planet which is fair play as hes mega rich and in the best car/team with a so so team mate. By now I'd of gone full George Best mode and destroyed myself in an orgy of decadence and despair...:cheers:

I suspect CFD followed by Wind tunnel rather than Sim work, since the latter can't validate the data
Do you know why Michael Schumacher was so good in his heydey? It's because the unlimited testing afforded to teams meant that they could test every conceivable permutation and combination of the set-up and aero development so that at any given moment, Schumacher knew exactly what the car would do, and he could adapt to keep it working at peak performance. Which is what the simulators allow teams to do.

Do you know why Michael Schumacher was so good in his heydey? It's because the unlimited testing afforded to teams meant that they could test every conceivable permutation and combination of the set-up and aero development so that at any given moment, Schumacher knew exactly what the car would do, and he could adapt to keep it working at peak performance. Which is what the simulators allow teams to do.

I know. Schumacher did all that on a REAL track. Now they do it on a SIM track which CANNOT validate data since it is NOT the real world and can't 100% duplicate the laws of physics.

Those marshals were so lucky to not get hit by that cover when it flew up.

Last edited:
I know. Schumacher did all that on a REAL track. Now they do it on a SIM track which CANNOT validate data since it is NOT the real world and can't 100% duplicate the laws of physics.
And the simulators are designed to be as close as humanly possible to the real thing - but Hamilton would have us believe that there is practically no value in the simulators because they offer no more benefit than a gaming console. Even the most dedicated Hamilton fan has to admit that his head is getting a little bit too big for his helmet with that statement.

...Hamilton would have us believe that there is practically no value in the simulators because they offer no more benefit than a gaming console.

Wasn't he talking about the benefit to him as a driver trying to learn a track?

Autosport
Lewis Hamilton says he can learn "the same amount" about Formula 1 circuits playing computer games as he can by driving in the Mercedes simulator.

"I could spend £100 on a PlayStation and learn the same amount."

He didn't say it's of practically no value;

Autosport
Hamilton said the simulator was more use to engineers than drivers, because the sensations of driving a real car cannot be replicated correctly in a sim.

"The engineers learn more from the fuel usage, the power usage and aerodynamics."

In all I took his comments to mean that the only way to really learn a track is to drive a track and that the simulator offers him nothing more in that regard than a console game would. Which makes perfect sense, I think.

And the simulators are designed to be as close as humanly possible to the real thing - but Hamilton would have us believe that there is practically no value in the simulators because they offer no more benefit than a gaming console. Even the most dedicated Hamilton fan has to admit that his head is getting a little bit too big for his helmet with that statement.

Give the guy a season in a Manor to get his feel back on the ground... to be frank a season in any car bar the Merc is going to be a come down at the present time...

Every damn thread. Do you not get tired of bashing him? I and others are certainly tired of reading it.

Yes, I do get tired of bashing him - but he keeps doing and saying stupid things that in any other driver would be universally condemned.

Yes, I do get tired of bashing him - but he keeps doing and saying stupid things that in any other driver would be universally condemned.

Either you read it coming in seeing the click-bait like title, prepared to be annoyed cause it was Hamilton or you didn't read it at all apart from title. He said nothing of the sort you point out, and your comment aligns almost with those on F1 fanatic when Keith does a round up and the click-bait like title he uses is read only and then commented on.

What I read it as, was he was asked how important running sims are before coming to a new track like this, and him and his team mate seem to see little importance in respect to learning the track and figuring things out. Because since teams have never been there, they have no data, they have to figure out things here and there and thus it doesn't fully come out quite the same as real world. Thus it only serves as a map for drivers to learn, and more so as both say an engineering tool.

Once again, get over yourself dude. It's a big racing weekend, we all just want to enjoy it without your sour and sometimes comedic disillusions toward drivers.

Thus it only serves as a map for drivers to learn, and more so as both say an engineering tool.
And yet, teams have sent entire crews out to scan the circuit. It was noted that McLaren needed to re-scan parts of it because they didn't always get the width right. In particular, they seem to have been very good at getting the undulations and bumps right.

So we've got one driver who claims that it's not worth much more than a video game, and eleven teams who see fit to keep investing in it. If it really was worth so little, why do they keep doing it?

Back