Formula 1 2016 Grand Prix Of Europe

Have McLaren painted one of the Williams black and given it to Alonso for these sessions?

Edit: Spoke too soon. Nope, that's definitely a McLaren. :lol:

Last edited:
Alonso is hammering the left-hand kerb more than anyone else I have seen through the castle section.

EDIT: First time I have watched an F1 session on Channel 4, HOW MANY ADVERTS? I don't miss this at all!

Last edited:
Esteban Gutierrez is apparently very sick - so sick that he probably shouldn't have been racing in Montreal - and really feels it when he brakes. It's a wonder Haas haven't recruited someone's reserve driver to fill in.

Gutierrez hit the right side wall in turn 9 just slightly with his right front. Saw during graduation practice so no sound. Anyone have anymore info on it?

EDIT: First time I have watched an F1 session on Channel 4, HOW MANY ADVERTS? I don't miss this at all!

Only in the practice sessions though, none when quali or the race is live.

The curbs have been shredding the cars apparently. GP2 quali just got red flagged within the out lap for everyone and has been rescheduled to after FP2.

Apparently they've welded the kerbs now - they're metal rather than plastic and some team engineers though the compression effect of the cars was causing sharp edges to come up.

Esteban Gutierrez is apparently very sick - so sick that he probably shouldn't have been racing in Montreal - and really feels it when he brakes. It's a wonder Haas haven't recruited someone's reserve driver to fill in.

According to what report have you heard this?

Hamilton looking strong in both sessions. Rosberg had some issues on his race run, but quali pace doesn't look promising. Good to see Force India doing well and the great results for the Hondas show the chassis doing some good work.

Crossing my fingers for a close race up front but right now it looks like 3 in a row for Hamilton.

If I was head of Mercedes I'd seriously think about employing some team orders regarding the first lap.

Tom
Sky were saying it whenever he came on screen pretty much.

I realised. The DRS doesn't kick in till the cars are already at max speed pretty much on the main straight. It is going to be useless.

13427764_1243096752438317_3260890106956684166_n.jpg

The most exciting thing for me as a rather amauter motosport photographer is visiting a circuit new to me - so many shots to discover! - so being a pro at a brand new circuit in a beautiful city must be like Christmas.

Do we even need DRS in a track like this? seems like overkill. Also no way this race doesn't have a few crashes.

It's really too bad Le Mans will pretty much overwhelm my attention, overshadowing this race. Got a chance to watch FP2, and the track has its merits. Not a big fan of the unnecessarily-but-understandably-narrow sections, but overall it's a great city circuit I'd say. Again, a bit irked it shares Le Mans weekend, and that they are pushing for a European labeling, but that's being awfully picky, and I'll admit it.

It's unfortunate though that there are obvious bottlenecks from teething, like we saw with the first race at Sochi. Wayyy too slippery for one. Course, that improves as it does at every track over the weekend. Bit surprised too we don't see the Ultra Softs once again as well.

Bit surprised too we don't see the Ultra Softs once again as well.
Pirelli like to play it conservative for the inaugural running of a new Grand Prix and bring compounds from the middle of the range because they have no data. They did it in India, Sochi and Mexico City, too.

Last week when they mentioned the Baku race in Azerbaijan my father and I were a little mystified...had never heard of it. I was expected a sub-par new race track ala Korea etc. I'm hugely pleasantly surprised by the addition of a high speed street circuit.

I think it's a bit on the dangerous side but find me a street circuit which isn't. I can easily see a man-made chicane or two popping up if this track stays on the calendar. The setting is beautiful and unique and the close presence to rain-making weather is always interesting.

This is very refreshing...can't wait to see how it all pans out. I have to agree with folks though the "European" tag is a bit...silly.

Pirelli like to play it conservative for the inaugural running of a new Grand Prix and bring compounds from the middle of the range because they have no data. They did it in India, Sochi and Mexico City, too.

I know, but in this case, it seems they could have gambled a bit more and just gone with the same selection we had for Monaco and Canada. Still, the Super Softs are the next best thing, so I suppose they didn't truly play it crazy conservative. If they hadn't come up with that new compound, this would've been the best they could give to begin with.

I personally wish that teams were able to choose two compounds prior to the race (everyone has rains and inters for free) simply so teams could strategize. But they'd have to declare this at a certain time prior to the race and no one would find out until the race weekend who ordered what and how many. Let some of the slower teams attempt to run a hard compound tire and gain better position by pitting less, etc.

I personally wish that teams were able to choose two compounds prior to the race (everyone has rains and inters for free) simply so teams could strategize. But they'd have to declare this at a certain time prior to the race and no one would find out until the race weekend who ordered what and how many. Let some of the slower teams attempt to run a hard compound tire and gain better position by pitting less, etc.
That's ... pretty much what they already do.

Seems the drivers have given their approval of the circuit. Looking forward to this now. Boogity Boogity Boogity boys!!!!

Tom
David Croft mentioned it towards the end of FP2. Gutierrez had a few moments late in the session, and Croft and di Resta seemed to think fatigue was setting in. Apparently Gutierrez has lost a lot of weight because he's not eating, and he's really struggling under brakes because the g-forces make him feel violently ill.

David Croft mentioned it towards the end of FP2. Gutierrez had a few moments late in the session, and Croft and di Resta seemed to think fatigue was setting in. Apparently Gutierrez has lost a lot of weight because he's not eating, and he's really struggling under brakes because the g-forces make him feel violently ill.
If I recall correctly, didn't Sutil not eat for two days in 2014 to try to lose weight?

The fact this seems to be common knowledge in the paddock privately but isn't reported anyway is somewhat strange, like they're trying to hide it. I mean it wouldn't be the first thing known in the paddock but not reported but when it comes to a drivers health you'd think it'd be covered, more than just commentators mentioning it.

Well, Gutierrez was locking up an awful lot, along with just looking off par in general. Could certainly put two and two together and make that conclusion. But, I wouldn't be surprised that they don't want to advertise it, even though I'm sure word probably traveled around the paddock.

Back