Formula 1 2018 Rolex British Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 327 comments
Great damage limitation by Hamilton, 2nd is not tardy at all from the back of the pack
Good job it wasn't Vettel that took him out, Hamilton would have been rightly pissed
I miss Silverstone in GT, time to hook up the PS3/GT6

Last edited:
But result is there, Bottas failed too.
Look at quali, so close at this powertrack. Ferrari has made great engineupgrades and can have more downforce and still set highest topspeeds.No Merc are under heavy pressure and Hamilton is the worst looser ever. Its like he doesnt want competition.
What are you talking about? Haha and why did you have a go at Lewis?

Another Merc track that Merc struggles. When we go to Fer tracks soon will be interresting
And Lewis start is his to blame, he got off sloooow

Asking this as well....how exactly did Merc struggle?

As far as I could tell they had the pace. I'd say they probably made a mistake with the pit strategy for Bottas. Other than that I'd say it was more of a brilliant drive from Vettel than the Merc actually struggling on this track....the ones who struggled were basically everyone else starting with Red Bull

Anyway, now that's over you can all turn over to motorsports tv (not sure what channels you have outside the UK) & watch a bunch of absolutely stunning classic race cars flying around Le-Mans.

But result is there, Bottas failed too.
Look at quali, so close at this powertrack. Ferrari has made great engineupgrades and can have more downforce and still set highest topspeeds.No Merc are under heavy pressure and Hamilton is the worst looser ever. Its like he doesnt want competition.

How do they have more downforce? It's a power track by definition it's a lower downforce track. The Ferrari probably had less drag which is why they had more speed in the speed trap. However, only in sector 1 does there seem to be a great difference in speed between Ferrari and Merc. The other two sectors show matching max speeds.

Lewis was hit and had to fight back from last to the front, pulled out the fastest times in the first stint, and ran it longer than anyone else. Bottas also showed good tire life in the first stint. The struggle was only with Bottas and that was probably due to Merc not taking the risk and running him longer than Lewis.

As for the "worst looser ever" comment, I find it hard to understand how others easily deride these people when they are in a high competition situation in front of a home crowd, and come up short when they could have won. He pulled out a great quali lap to start on P1 and I'm sure he's mad at himself for not getting the start right. He's a competitor and is clearly wearing his heart on his sleeve at times, doesn't make him a sore loser.

I got to say even though Bottas tyres where going, at the time Vettels pass was as Ballsy as it gets.

Verstappens pass around the outside of Luffield was probably the move of the season though, no one else even attempted a move around there let alone make it work to perfection.

As for the "worst looser ever" comment, I find it hard to understand how others easily deride these people when they are in a high competition situation in front of a home crowd, and come up short when they could have won. He pulled out a great quali lap to start on P1 and I'm sure he's mad at himself for not getting the start right. He's a competitor and is clearly wearing his heart on his sleeve at times, doesn't make him a sore loser.

Could not have said it better!

Aaah ok after Max gave his interview --> it was a brake by wire issue which already popped up in turn 3 after the start. That caused the spin and then gearbox stayed in one (but not a gearbox issue what I wrote earlier)

On board Max after he spun:

Also Kimi said in an after race interview he does not understand the penalties given. "sometimes it is 5 seconds and then it is 10 seconds. They keep changing it every time"

Last edited:
I couldn't shake the feeling from Saturday morning that this weekend was Vettel's to lose.

Yes, Hamilton pulled out a great lap to secure pole, but something about Ferrari's Friday pace suggested to me that Vettel still would've greeted the chequered flag first, even if Hamilton hadn't got turned at the start.

It was also interesting to see the marginal strengths of the Mercedes and Ferrari respectively at Silverstone in that ten lap dash to the flag: Ferrari had the speed, Mercedes the corner agility.

Asking this as well....how exactly did Merc struggle?

As far as I could tell they had the pace. I'd say they probably made a mistake with the pit strategy for Bottas. Other than that I'd say it was more of a brilliant drive from Vettel than the Merc actually struggling on this track....the ones who struggled were basically everyone else starting with Red Bull

For me they struggle if they cant get a clear win on a track that they normally win on and have poles on. So if that is not the case then why is Hamilton so upset? Because he expected to win no matter what on his hometrack. If Merc is not winning its struggeling, they are not happy beeing 2nd or third at all that would be crisis!

How do they have more downforce? It's a power track by definition it's a lower downforce track. The Ferrari probably had less drag which is why they had more speed in the speed trap. However, only in sector 1 does there seem to be a great difference in speed between Ferrari and Merc. The other two sectors show matching max speeds.

Lewis was hit and had to fight back from last to the front, pulled out the fastest times in the first stint, and ran it longer than anyone else. Bottas also showed good tire life in the first stint. The struggle was only with Bottas and that was probably due to Merc not taking the risk and running him longer than Lewis.

They can still have more Downforce, Redbull had to lower downforce to get more speed, but if you can you want both speed and good downforce (aerodynamic i guess more on this track than mechanical)

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't watch the race, but after reading some headlines about Ferrari and Mercedes. Found this pretty interesting, about how it happened.

Sweet Jesus that was good.

I don't agree that Hamilton should get driver of the day. He had a poor start, then after a crash which wasn't his fault he climbed through cars which are massively slower than the top six and often just let him through as they're not racing, and didn't make any legitimate passes on the other front runners. Whereas Vettel and Bottas made pretty much no mistakes and fought fantastically well, it just so happens that Bottas was on a worse strategy.

The difference between the top six and the rest is unreal, it's no contest. Huelkenberg was "best of the rest" today, and still dropped 20 seconds to the top six after the restart. It's pretty much at the point now of being like LMP1 vs LMP2, even the Williams cars lost 10 seconds to the rest in that time.

However, it's taken 10 races, but we finally got what we've wanted; the top six fighting tooth and nail.

The difference between the top six and the rest is unreal, it's no contest. Huelkenberg was "best of the rest" today, and still dropped 20 seconds to the top six after the restart. It's pretty much at the point now of being like LMP1 vs LMP2, even the Williams cars lost 10 seconds to the rest in that time.

It wouldn't be the first time we've seen this with the top 3 teams.

Quite hysterical though how it took Hamilton just ten laps after the incident with Raikkonen to get into 6th place. Granted, Silverstone allowed the top 3 to stretch their legs compared to, say Monaco, but the speed of the Mercedes relevant to the rest was crazy.
0a025fb7e923298dfb627351faed0c1aeacb64ef_00.gif

It would interesting to see if the Merc make the same comments if they beat Ferrari at their home ground in Monza...that should certainly be entertaining to watch! :mischievous:

"Oh oh oh we did it at THEIR home."...followed by "Ha ha, ha ha ha ha ha."

It would interesting to see if the Merc make the same comments if they beat Ferrari at their home ground in Monza...that should certainly be entertaining to watch! :mischievous:

I think you're both missing the context of the comment - quite understandable if you haven't been in the UK during the last couple of weeks. The words "It's Coming Home" are appearing everywhere (including at Silverstone across the pit lane) in reference to the current World Soccering Thing that's going on.

A question to everyone watching the race on TV. How did that race rate compared to the rest of them this year? At the circuit it was awesome, but was it a classic like Austria, China and Baku, or a dull one like Canada, Monaco and Australia?

Anyway, awesome weekend for me. Dealt with Verstappen when he crashed in FP2, watched Hartley's crash in real time, and saw all the action at Brooklands and Luffield during the race. Awesome weekend!

A question to everyone watching the race on TV. How did that race rate compared to the rest of them this year? At the circuit it was awesome, but was it a classic like Austria, China and Baku, or a dull one like Canada, Monaco and Australia?

The race was saved by the safety car. It felt as if it would turn into a 3-4 second gap parade between every driver apart from Hamilton, who was showing the ridiculous difference in speed between the top 6 and the rest. Ericsson writing his Sauber off was pretty much at the best time, and from there on out it was just great racing at the front.

The race was saved by the safety car. It felt as if it would turn into a 3-4 second gap parade between every driver apart from Hamilton, who was showing the ridiculous difference in speed between the top 6 and the rest. Ericsson writing his Sauber off was pretty much at the best time, and from there on out it was just great racing at the front.
Ericsson's crash was hilarious. The exact same thing as Grosjean did on Friday. You'da thought they would have learned, but apparently not :lol:

Great race!! I was actually disappointed to see Lewis get spun on lap 1, I wanted to see a straight fight between him and Seb all race. Some other time I guess.

Did anyone see how the F1.5 race played out after the SC? TV coverage only showed that battle up front. I really wanted to see Alonso and KMag go at it :lol:

Gutted for LeClerc. Probably would have been another points finish.

Grosjean is so done with F1. Such a waste of a seat. He lost the car before he hit Sainz. Perez, LeClerc, Kimi, Giovinazzi, Fuoco...anyone would be better than Grosjean.

When Kimi was all uppity on the radio, saying “I try to be aggressive......so I’m not even allowed to think anymore?” or something along those lines - was he upset with the team, or with race control for the penalty? At one point, it sounded like he said, “c’mon, let me use the.....”. Would that be reference to some kind of overtake mode?

Last edited:
This race ranks right up there with Austria in its amusement, although I too would have appreciated seeing just how in the world old man Alonso pedaled his way past Magnussen and his mighty Haas-Ferrari. And I do wonder if Mercedes would have used a couple of sets of sticker softs if they'd had them - it might have improved poor Lewis's mood, and even his result. Even so, the storming finish was thrilling, the top drivers all delivering the goods in impressive fashion.

Back