Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
Couple Twitter reports seem hinting Piquet's access to the paddock could be revoked & himself banned unless he apologizes. But, others have chimed in that it's not like Piquet would probably care.
Maybe if enough former champions spoke out against him.

I wish Hamilton would show a little more shrewdness in his comments, instead of calling for an open ended 'time has come for action'. Loonies can translate that in a number of ways, including possibly going after Piquet.

Piquet has now apologized after the calls to revoke his pass grew louder.
He has... in a sense apologised, but he's pretty much used Luis Suarez's playbook by saying the word he used is just a word guys use in Brazil and not really racist:
"I would like to clear up the stories circulating in the media about a comment I made in an interview last year. What I said was ill thought out, and I make no defence for it, but I will clarify that the term used is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for ‘guy’ or ‘person’ and was never intended to offend.

“I would never use the word I have been accused of in some translations. I strongly condemn any suggestion that the word was used by me with the aim of belittling a driver because of his skin colour.

“I apologise wholeheartedly to anyone that was affected, including Lewis, who is an incredible driver, but the translation in some media that is now circulating on social media is not correct. Discrimination has no place in F1 or society and I am happy to clarify my thoughts in that respect.”
It literally means "little ******". Claiming it's okay to say it because it isn't meant to be racist is like saying it's okay to call things "gay" because you mean it's bad not homosexual.

Meanwhile nobody else in Brazil is agreeing with him (one of his nephews actually defended him by disagreeing, saying that grandma called them all "little ******s"), least of all black people in Brazil who are broadly exclaiming who exactly he thinks he's kidding.

Also, "I make no defence for it, but" [defence]. :lol:

In the meantime, Juri Vips hasn't actually lost his seat as a result of being a racist dumbass. Hitech GP issued a statement saying he'll complete the season with them, despite the loss of Red Bull sponsorship, to "redeem" himself:

“I have made the decision for Juri to keep his F2 seat with Hitech for the remainder of the season, a decision we have seriously debated. Allowing him to complete his season with Hitech is an opportunity for him to demonstrate, through his actions, the type of person he is.

“I have made it clear that I think the language used was totally unacceptable, but I choose to give him the chance to redeem himself.”
He rambles on about how losing RB sponsorship is punishment enough and society doesn't allow people to make mistakes any more...

... but come on, man. It's not a mistake to blurt out racially abusive terms. It's a mindset; the mistake was he was being filmed live when he did it. He already demonstrated, through his actions, the type of person he is: the type who thinks racist things and is sufficiently comfortable to say them out loud to friends.

F2 issued a statement of its "surprise" Hitech GP has done this.

He has... in a sense apologised, but he's pretty much used Luis Suarez's playbook by saying the word he used is just a word guys use in Brazil and not really racist:

It literally means "little ******". Claiming it's okay to say it because it isn't meant to be racist is like saying it's okay to call things "gay" because you mean it's bad not homosexual.

Meanwhile nobody else in Brazil is agreeing with him (one of his nephews actually defended him by disagreeing, saying that grandma called them all "little ******s"), least of all black people in Brazil who are broadly exclaiming who exactly he thinks he's kidding.

Also, "I make no defence for it, but" [defence]. :lol:

In the meantime, Juri Vips hasn't actually lost his seat as a result of being a racist dumbass. Hitech GP issued a statement saying he'll complete the season with them, despite the loss of Red Bull sponsorship, to "redeem" himself:

He rambles on about how losing RB sponsorship is punishment enough and society doesn't allow people to make mistakes any more...

... but come on, man. It's not a mistake to blurt out racially abusive terms. It's a mindset; the mistake was he was being filmed live when he did it. He already demonstrated, through his actions, the type of person he is: the type who thinks racist things and is sufficiently comfortable to say them out loud to friends.

F2 issued a statement of its "surprise" Hitech GP has done this.
Unfortunately some of the headlines are just portraying it as a straightforward apology.

6859230C-3E33-414A-B2AF-1B7E534632EE.jpeg

Even if he's to argue what he actually meant with the term as 'guy' or 'person', I think one of the most damning parts is the repeated reports that Nelson referred to everyone else by their names & only Lewis by his skin (I've read it translated as, "little black man"). Sort of pushes back on the, "with the aim of belittling a driver because of his skin colour" if you've decided to use skin colour to identify whilst giving everyone else the respect of actual acknowledgement.

If it's just a word that means "guy", I'm sure there are loads of examples of it being said towards white guys in Brasil, right?

lib.jpg

"Better not mention Putin or Russian oligarchs..."

"... and say nothing of Hamilton either..."

"... infact, it's better if you don't speak at all Bernie."

Good response from Verstappen there.

Not the best response in another interview though:

Verstappen: Piquet "definitely not a racist" but Hamilton comment "not correct"​

Also going back to Piquet, in that same interview he said this about HAM vs ROS:

"he was ****, worthless, just like his father. He won a championship and… the “little black guy” should have been getting [derogatory description of homosexuality] and he wasn't as focused on the racing”
He's just really not a nice person. Racist and homophobic. He used to suggest Senna was gay as well, even as recently as 2020.

Nelson Piquet says that Ayrton Senna was gay and that he had a fake marriage.

Last edited:
Oh boy. Can't wait to hear how that term is also used in Brazil or how Granny used to say to them as kids....

Also worth noting that despite calling him a piece of 💩 he still referred to him by name, as Nico. Hamilton is the only one that he doesn't see fit to use his name, instead going with the "family" slur.

Last edited:
Did Lewis Hamilton really just back those protesters who sat on the track?

Man this guy needs handlers

Seems like a change of tune from what he said earlier, if the report isn't fake news. Also the protesters are part of an extremist group that superglues themselves to famous paintings. His tone is way too apologetic for criminals that intended to put the life of many people in danger

Seems like a change of tune from what he said earlier, if the report isn't fake news. Also the protesters are part of an extremist group that superglues themselves to famous paintings. His tone is way too apologetic for criminals that intended to put the life of many people in danger
He's literally saying he backs the cause but not the method. Much like a majority of sane people in the country.

Last edited:
Specifically which part?

Last edited:
Social media neutered Hamilton, like many others. I'd love to see his response if these "protestors" (actually low key terrorists) were in support of something he probably doesn't agree with, like the pro-life ideology.

I feel l like I've spent too long musing about the opinion of someone who shouldn't matter, but does because he can drive a car fast and thus has influence over many with no direction or real role models in their life.

Social media neutered Hamilton, like many others. I'd love to see his response if these "protestors" (actually low key terrorists) were in support of something he probably doesn't agree with, like the pro-life ideology.

I feel l like I've spent too long musing about the opinion of someone who shouldn't matter, but does because he can drive a car fast and thus has influence over many with no direction or real role models in their life.
He'd speak out against it, as he has done in the past, he doesn't just blindly support every protest..

Back