Formula 1 2021-2022 Off-Season and Mid-season break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 767 comments
He paid German courts money to make his bribery charges disappear (go figure) so I'm sure he'll settle with Revenue & Customs for a pittance compared to what he actually owes.

It’s impossible to keep everyone happy, ideally they need to have the same stewards and race director at every race.

But that means full time salaries, room and board for the races and benefits/insurance that I’m sure F1 isn’t willing to pay for. This is why they keep them part time imho.

ric.png

Ricciardo is staying with McLaren but we don't know which McLaren. F1, Formula E, IndyCar are all on the table and I think it has less to do with him than it has to do with the promise of who is replacing him.

This has been a pretty bad year for F1 on the PR front:
Important to note, they were agency contractors for a supplier to Aston Martin. And those committing the offences have been relieved of their duties. Of course it makes no difference to the disgusting nature of the offences but I've seen a lot of outlets painting it as Aston Martin F1 personnel rather than contractors.

Last edited:
Ooops Herbert Diess will leave VW at the end of August 2022. This can possibly be the last nail in the coffin of Audi/Porsches F1 entrys.

Ooops Herbert Diess will leave VW at the end of August 2022. This can possibly be the last nail in the coffin of Audi/Porsches F1 entrys.
What makes you say that? He's being replaced by Porsche chief Oliver Blume, who's as like to continue with the plan to enter as anyone. They've already voted on it within the ranks of VAG anyway, the only thing they're waiting on is the final confirmation of the 2026 engine regulations before officially confirming plans. And even then we'll probably only hear of Porsches plans to partner with RBPT as Audi are likely buying out Sauber and that won't get officially confirmed until closer to it being completed.

What makes you say that? He's being replaced by Porsche chief Oliver Blume, who's as like to continue with the plan to enter as anyone. They've already voted on it within the ranks of VAG anyway, the only thing they're waiting on is the final confirmation of the 2026 engine regulations before officially confirming plans. And even then we'll probably only hear of Porsches plans to partner with RBPT as Audi are likely buying out Sauber and that won't get officially confirmed until closer to it being completed.
We'll see

🤷‍♂️

Finer details are just rumours but an announcement is expected in the next week or so.

Last edited:

🤷‍♂️

Finer details are just rumours but an announcement is expected in the next week or so.

Given the rumblings in the last couple years that Red Bull has been considering exiting Formula 1 (albiet that was before Max got his championship), it makes me wonder if they're setting up for Porsche to take over the team operations and Red Bull quietly downgrading itself to title sponsor in the near future.

"Porsche-Red Bull" does have a very nice ring to it, at the very least.

Worth clarifying they're supposedly buying a 50% stake in Red Bull Advanced Technologies, the engineering part of the team. Not the entire F1 team. It is quite a difference.

Last edited:
Worth clarifying they're supposedly buying a 50% stake in Red Bull Advanced Technologies, the engineering part of the team. Not the entire F1 team. It is quite a difference.
50% of Red Bull Technology, which is a different company from Red Bull Advanced Technologies. Red Bull Technology is a holding company of which Red Bull Racing is a subsidiary. Red Bull Technology designs and builds the cars, Red Bull Racing races them. Porsche gets 50% of the former and thus gets to partially control the latter.

Red Bull Advanced Technologies is directly owned by Red Bull GmbH and isn't part of the F1 team at all.

Last edited:

I know it was a rumour but wow, colour me shocked, did not see this coming. Opens Alpine up for Piastri and possibly Sargeant for Williams.

Thread renamed so we can discuss F1 related stuff here that isn't directly tied to the Hungarian GP while we have a Mid-season break.

So at this half way point in the championship and given that, at the beginning of the season at least, the Mercedes was a dud and Ferrari looked the quickest, its amazing that Hamilton (currently 6th in championship) has had more podiums than Leclerc (a distant 2nd) so far. In fact, factoring in Sainz and Russell, both Ferrari and Merc have 11 podiums a piece.

Back