Formula 1 BWT Grosser Preis Von Österreich 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 213 comments
But it is hard to blame some one who is not impeding anyone, I mean there is no minimum time for that sector and drivers like to have a 4 sec gap and they were all at it.

In the end VET payed for it, as he was the one at the wrong place just at the wrong time and could drive super slow to the right as that was forbidden between 9 & 10.
The others broke the directive as well though, that's the point. It was them backing up and driving slow out of 9, which they weren't supposed to do, that left Vettel in the position he was. If they had all given it the beans out of 9 with no slowing it would have been fine.

The FIA/stewards seem reluctant to penalize large parts of the field at once. It's like in Baku, everyone that flew past VER under double waved yellows should have got a penalty, even if that is 10 or 12 drivers.

They shouldn't let drivers off because loads of them did it so they're all to blame.

Yes ultimately only Vet actually blocked someone but the others that broke the directive and caused it should all have been penalised as well.

Also worth noting that those cars jumped VET while he was slowing before 9, following the rules. The others jump past, then slow into and through 9. Breaking the rule.

Last edited:
What they need to do send out drivers in waves.
So maximum of X amount of cars on track based on its length.

RB Ring is short so maybe 3 or 4 cars out at once.

The FIA clamped down on the stupidity after Monza 2019.
They should do more.

Or They could open parts of the track up such as Schikane so drivers can get to the pits faster and get off the track during their cool down lap.
Thus getting off the track faster, as long as the drivers do it in a safe manner it can work.
1625384850902.png

Last edited:
Its a pity the normal development cycle is not in place this season, it could have been remarkable to watch things unfold between RB & Mercs, as it is we have just changed the guard. F1 could easily have implemented rules that insured the integrity of this season & next. Mercedes are playing the long game gambling everything on whats to come, and if it pays off next year wont be competitive either. If you are a purist about wheel to wheel racing you have to look further down the field more often than not for entertainment value, or hope for an in team battle.

Last edited:
If you are a purist about wheel to wheel racing you have to look further down the field more often than not for entertainment value, or hope for an in team battle.
Btw, If you are, watch the yesterday two action-packed F3 races on Red Bull Ring ;)
The others broke the directive as well though, that's the point. It was them backing up and driving slow out of 9, which they weren't supposed to do, that left Vettel in the position he was. If they had all given it the beans out of 9 with no slowing it would have been fine.
Indeed. But it is worth mentioning that Vettel wasn't aware at all of Alonso coming.
He even complain to the radio "Why didn't you tell me about Alonso?" afterwards.
Vettel was driving slower than anybody during his out lap, which may both explained why he has been jump by so many cars (edit: all 7 drivers that were behind him!). But it could also be put to its credit as this looked, in the first place, a way to not be in a position to almost stop his car in the last turns.

Last edited:
Btw, If you are, watch the yesterday two action-packed F3 races on Red Bull Ring 😉

Indeed. But it is worth mentioning that Vettel wasn't aware at all of Alonso coming.
He even complain to the radio "Why didn't you tell me about Alonso?" afterwards.
Vettel was driving slower than anybody during his out lap, which may both explained why he has been jump by so many cars (edit: all 7 drivers that were behind him!). But it could also be put to its credit as this looked, in the first place, a way to not be in a position to almost stop his car in the last turns.
Yeah as I say Vettel was backing up before T9 to stick to the rules whilst everyone else flew past him then slowed down ahead of him through 9, against the rules.

Vettel was right to get a penalty, he hampered Alonso, but to let the others off because there was a lot of them is madness.

“At the end of Q2 [Sainz and Bottas] slowed down at the entry of turn nine to create a gap for [their] final lap. This is contrary to the race director’s event notes 24.2a.

“However, given the situation that many drivers ended up queuing at this part of the circuit, the stewards determine that too many drivers contributed to the situation and therefore the driver concerned is not fully to blame.”
I mean, what?

"There was too many people murdering at the house, so no murderer is fully to blame for their murdering"

Bottas
Sainz
Stroll
Ricciardo
Hamilton
Russell

They all went unnecessarily slowly through T9, they should have all got a penalty.

Last edited:
What they need to do send out drivers in waves.
So maximum of X amount of cars on track based on its length.

RB Ring is short so maybe 3 or 4 cars out at once.

The FIA clamped down on the stupidity after Monza 2019.
They should do more.

Or They could open parts of the track up such as Schikane so drivers can get to the pits faster and get off the track during their cool down lap.
Thus getting off the track faster, as long as the drivers do it in a safe manner it can work.
View attachment 1064920

The problem with that is these slow drivers that destroyed Alonso's lap were trying to start a lap (which Vettel still missed the chequered flag on) not going back in to the pits.

The directive that they issued was fine, it would have stopped the problems, but the drivers (except VET) ignored it and the stewards didn't bother to punish them for it.

Last edited:
Russel is an absolute beast. Though with Latifi in the other car it's always hard to know whether he's doing a Senna in Toleman or Latifi is doing a Yoong.

Ocon needs to turn round his form quickly unless he wants to be Vandoorne 2.0.

Daniel oh Daniel. I think we're past the point where the "adaptation" period excuse can no longer be used. Seriously, at this level you are expected to be able to drive anything. I'd love to see a telemetry comparison between him and Lando to see where his driving style difference is. The only saving grace is that next year's car will be completely different. That is, unless Zak/Seidl doesn't run out of patience first.

I thought this second race is going to be a snoozer but with the mixed up grid and softer tyres necessitating 2 stops, we could be in for a treat!

The problem with that is these slow drivers that destroyed Alonso's lap were trying to start a lap (which Vettel still missed the chequered flag on) not going back in to the pits.
Then make it 1 car per 1km of track.

Just like last week rain is very likely to appear in the evening (6pm onwards) with a very low chance during race time.

I was just about to post and ask what kind of ridiculous bs was going to happen to prevent Russell from scoring points and it looks like it already happened. He needs to get out of that car asap.

I was just about to post and ask what kind of ridiculous bs was going to happen to prevent Russell from scoring points and it looks like it already happened. He needs to get out of that car asap.
Engineer seemed to think it may be OK. Fingers crossed.

Perez seemed to have started this race super aggressive. Norris is far too good in that Mac for RB or Merc to just cruise by.

No wonder Horner concedes that Perez's off was a 'racing incident'... it would do them no good to have Norris get a penalty!

The move was on, unfortunate for Perez.

edit: now it’s being investigated

Last edited:
5 second penalty for Norris for forcing Perez off in that early battle.

Last edited:
Back