Formula 1 Emirates United States Grand Prix 2019Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 199 comments
Congrats to Bottas for the win and Lewis on the 'chip.

You can roll your eyes all you want. In another words, Lewis may be a great racer and undeniably well within the top 10 of the modern era... but that reddit post lays credence to his lack of emotional maturity. I expect that out of Max... not a 6-time WDC and hall of Famer.

He should be fully grown both as a driver and a team leader. Constantly questioning a proven team, awesome team boss and a world class strategist isn't.
The team didn't do anything until he joined the team. And Lewis is proven, a six time world champion. He has earned the right to think question and speak up. No reason you can't lead from the car. And we've all seen strategy mistakes from the wall. He's in the car and knows what it feels like. Stop calling it wining when he's showing leadership.

:rolleyes:
point dosn’t stand but ok...

6x Champion... insane
Did I take away a victory or a championship? No. Explain why the point doesn't make sense with realistic behaviors that you expect from world class leaders. I rarely hear this type of complaining from dominant champions (yes, he is a dominant champ, I don't belittle his/team's success). A behavioral analysis based on radio, interviews, social media, and reports lead me to this conclusion and if a renowned journalist helps strengthen my argument, then so be it. He demonstrates a clear deficiency in emotional intelligence (self awareness and self regulation) which is where my statements and opinions are based from.

The team didn't do anything until he joined the team. And Lewis is proven, a six time world champion. He has earned the right to think question and speak up. No reason you can't lead from the car. And we've all seen strategy mistakes from the wall. He's in the car and knows what it feels like. Stop calling it wining when he's showing leadership.
There's a difference between leadership and complaining. He complains. To be clear, I don't consider it complaining when he questions by saying things like "why are we on this tire/why did we stop so soon/late?" He wants an answer and he's the type of driver that wants it now. It's the continuous "this is the wrong move" type statements. Don't belie the team when the team tells you what they're doing. If the tires are fading, his rear slipping, then I like hearing that feedback. Be constructive. Questioning does makes sense and I agree that he's earned it.

Professionalism dictates you do it with maturity and discretion, again constructively, and if you disagree further, do it behind closed doors. He doesn't have a fraction of the info his strategists have and he needs to trust them. If he doesn't trust them, then he (as a leader) must fix it... but he should have fixed it a long time ago, since most of the staff has been fairly consistent. That's leadership.

In my opinion, this is something that makes me question the "greatest of all time" argument. Is he a great car manager? Yes. Can he rip off a one in a million hot lap? Yup. Is he the most successful driver on the grid today? Absolutely.

Vettel.png

Props to Bottas for not getting on the radio and complaining that Lewis drove him off the circuit at T12. I’m glad nothing came of it, but I feel like there’s some drivers who would be on the horn asking for a penalty had it happened to them.

Deserved championships for Lewis and Merc. Congrats!

Ferrari.... Agggh! I'm not superstitious, but whenever they put this "Mission Winnow" logos it's all hell breaks loose for them!

Deserved championships for Lewis and Merc. Congrats!

Ferrari.... Agggh! I'm not superstitious, but whenever they put this "Mission Winnow" logos it's all hell breaks loose for them!
Did the '18 car have it on? :sly:

Here's the Perez vs Kvyat incident. Perez gives Kvyat room but the Russian just slides into him on the exit. Seems like a deserved penalty for me.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...sed-for-collision.2gqStxDGBnEvTk9FFdu0bX.html

Yeah I'm not really sure what Kvyat's doing to be honest. His reaction to the penalty too is quite strange, he's visibly angry and upset about it... the language he uses too, like the dude needs to calm down.

Great race loved the first lap lots of drama, some great overtakes this time too Lewis on Seb & Albon through the pack and Perez drove really well. Glad Seb was unscathed after his wheelie, showed class at the end of the race congratulating Lewis & Valteri...

Interesting how the "rule clarification" re bypassing max fuel flow monitoring system coincides with a significant reduction in ferrari's straight line speed this weekend. Looks like the prancing horse has been getting some extra prance since the summer break from fuel boost cheat mode... Bypassing fuel flow monitoring is blatant cheating but ferrari are a protected species in F1 (as usual...) LeClerc's race pace was abysmal after "rule clarification" apparently he had "no idea" what caused his lack of pace, no really! Max Verstappen's (not suprised) comments on this issue were funny to say the least...

Bypassing fuel flow monitoring is blatant cheating but ferrari are a protected species in F1 (as usual...)

Red Bull did it in previous seasons... the rules are there to be broken or gone around as best you can, if Ferrari hadn't done what ever they did they've have left wins on the table.

Red Bull did it in previous seasons... the rules are there to be broken or gone around as best you can, if Ferrari hadn't done what ever they did they've have left wins on the table.

Will be interesting to see how the last 2 races pan out, Its not really leaving wins on the table if you're cheating though is it? Given their huge budget at ferrari they should be able to develop a natural advantage without doing this...

Will be interesting to see how the last 2 races pan out, Its not really leaving wins on the table if you're cheating though is it? Given their huge budget at ferrari they should be able to develop a natural advantage without doing this...

They're not cheating... they are working around the rules they have been given. All the other teams do this and will continue to do this, this is what F1 is all about.

Here's the Perez vs Kvyat incident. Perez gives Kvyat room but the Russian just slides into him on the exit. Seems like a deserved penalty for me.

Kvyat needs to get his act together. He's been having too many unnecessary torpedo events. I'm not seeing much improvement over his initial years.

They're not cheating... they are working around the rules they have been given. All the other teams do this and will continue to do this, this is what F1 is all about.

I agree in most circumstances developments pushing the limits of written definitions of rules is what its all about, and does go on until they're reigned back in. This time its slightly different in that a prescribed limit was being breached through deception. Bypassing a fuel flow monitoring device is flagrant, and the advantage gained was significant to say the least...

We'll see next race, but it looks like the loop is closed. So we can look forward to 2 more Merc championships next year.

I should try this line next time Revenue Canada wants more money from me. “I’m not cheating on my taxes, I’m working around the rules I’ve been given. Everyone else is doing it too” :lol: :lol:

It's cheating because that setup made it possible to use more fuel than the allowed 100 kilo per hour.

I think it's a shame for Ferrari that the immediate presumption is that they were cheating. Their explanation about the new downforce configuration (and we know they haven't had enough in the past) is just as plausible.

I like Max but I think he did the wrong thing by saying that Ferrari had been cheating. As far as I'm aware there is no actual evidence that they have been or that they are even the team that prompted the clarification. It would be a fantastic plot twist if it was Mercedes :)

I think it's a shame for Ferrari that the immediate presumption is that they were cheating. Their explanation about the new downforce configuration (and we know they haven't had enough in the past) is just as plausible.

I like Max but I think he did the wrong thing by saying that Ferrari had been cheating. As far as I'm aware there is no actual evidence that they have been or that they are even the team that prompted the clarification. It would be a fantastic plot twist if it was Mercedes :)
I also think COTA is an interesting track, in that it has these incredibly long straights, yet it seems to still favor downforce. I realize there are many medium and high speed corners as part of technical sections, which to a great extent are modeled after heritage F1 tracks.

But there have been other examples in recent years of cars with straightline speed advantages which did not perform well at COTA.

Williams in 2014 is the example that sticks most in my head, as their performance in that qualifying and race were eerily similar to Ferrari in this year's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_United_States_Grand_Prix

And their 2014 car was actually a lot like this year's Ferrari. Slippery, fast on the straights, but still struggled with tracks that demanded downforce.

Also remember that in the old specs, it was Red Bull and Mclaren fighting for wins here.

Lewis won in a McLaren in 2012 after passing Seb for the lead on the DRS straight, while the Red Bulls took a 1-2 in 2013.

Again, cars at the time which were aerodynamically superior.

I'm eager to see how Red Bull starts off next season. Albon looks like the driver they've finally needed to compliment Max. Would love to see a season of 3-way battling for the WCC instead of Ferrari's strategy at times handing it over to Mercedes.

Pretty sub-par race. I thought we might be in for a shocker when Vettel's car broke. I had images of Silverstone (when everyone's tires blew up) and thought we might see a half dozen cars break during the race. It happened not to be so.

Lewis, well deserving of another world championship. I don't care that people don't like him (often for bizarre reasons), you can't deny he's one of the top drivers in the sport, ever. The whole field is filled with 98-100% drivers, and then there are a couple of 105% guys out there. He's definitely one of them.

Verstappen would have definitely had him without the Magnussen yellow flags, but that wouldn't have changed much. I'm glad he got to fight Bottas fair and square, and they didn't collide as some teams have a habit of doing. Bottas, boring as ever, but drove a strong race and deserved the win.

I'm eager to see how Red Bull starts off next season. Albon looks like the driver they've finally needed to compliment Max. Would love to see a season of 3-way battling for the WCC instead of Ferrari's strategy at times handing it over to Mercedes.

IMO, I think Albon has done enough to keep the seat for 2020. Ever since he got promoted, despite some mishaps here and there, he delivers every single race so far, always finishing in the top 5-6 and all. If I'm honest, he really impressed me especially in comparison to Gasly's performance when he was in the car. That being said, I don't think he is fast enough to challenge Max. Rumor has it, Red Bull might be looking for someone with more experience who can really push Max.....so let's wait and see how that goes!

Back