Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2016

• Thread starter shoemaker
  • 798 comments
Still looks like rain for the race, fingers crossed!:lol: Although I'm missing the race, going to the Lydden World Rallycross instead, hopefully Sky show a full rerun later on?!
Looking forward to this.

Renault are bringing an engine update for Monaco - but they only have one new engine for each team. They have nominated Magnussen to receive theirs, but it will be interesting to see who gets it at Red Bull.

After a brilliant Spanish Grand Prix, we now go to the glitz and glamour of Monaco. This has the potential to be a very interesting race given what happened in Spain. Max Verstappen will want to continue his excellent start at his new team, the purple ultra soft tyre will debut here at Monaco and is the favoured choice. Red Bull should be running their upgraded engine but may not have enough to go to both drivers and as this is not a power circuit, they could really take it to Mercedes. After last years cock up by Mercedes and the Spanish crash, Lewis Hamilton will be looking to make amends and claim only his second Monaco race win. Nico Rosberg however will be looking for his fourth consecutive Monaco victory.

View attachment 549185

View attachment 549186

CIRCUIT DE MONACO

FIRST GRAND PRIX

NUMBER
OF LAPS

CIRCUIT LENGTH
3.337KM

RACE DISTANCE
260.286KM

LAP
RECORD

1:18.063 Daniel Ricciardo (2015)

1st
Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:49:18.420
2nd Sebastian Vettel Ferrari +4.486s
3rd Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +6.053s
Good looking OP 👍 Still my opinion that a new F1 thread every two weeks is silly, but if that's the way the powers that be want things, I don't see any problem switching things up a bit...its not like the formatting of this OP has any impact on anyone's life. The only thing you're missing is a rediculously low quality video of last year's pole lap ;)

As far as the race, my hope is for rain. I don't care who wins, I just want to see a 6 way scrap at the front :)

Long enough for a qualifying run or three. With grid position everything at Monte Carlo, they'll all be relying on super softs and softs for a majority of the race distance.

Also, if the current weather forecast is anything to go by, they'll be on wets anyway.

Why hope for rain, when there's the chance of a large tidal wave?

e7b8e9fbf5971839c3ff107ea609895d.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking OP 👍 Still my opinion that a new F1 thread every two weeks is silly, but if that's the way the powers that be want things, I don't see any problem switching things up a bit...its not like the formatting of this OP has any impact on anyone's life. The only thing you're missing is a rediculously low quality video of last year's pole lap ;)

As far as the race, my hope is for rain. I don't care who wins, I just want to see a 6 way scrap at the front :)
Glad you like it, i didn't include a video as F1 get mardy about their sport appearing on youtube, most get taken down. It is looking like some rain for race day, fingers crossed it will !

They reached Q3 in Spain - how many goals should an multiple championship winning team have in a single season?...
More Championships. No point settling for anything else really otherwise what's the point at all?

Anyway It's the N24 this weekend so I doubt I'll get to see this race.

Anyone remember the 2008 Monaco Gran Prix?...

Sutil-Monaco-08-590x393.jpg
That was a funny race. The one time someone has crashed and it turned out to benefit them. :lol: (Hamilton hit the wall at Tabac and got a puncture from it. He pitted and switched to wet tires which ended up benefiting him greatly if memory serves.)

Speaking of bad quality F1 videos to be taken down sooner or later, one of the most underrated overtakes of the last few years in my opinion, Hulkenberg on Magnussen at Portier in 2014:

Portier corner is unchanged since the Monaco GP exists, and I guess that is one of the very few overtakes happened there.

That was a funny race. The one time someone has crashed and it turned out to benefit them. :lol: (Hamilton hit the wall at Tabac and got a puncture from it. He pitted and switched to wet tires which ended up benefiting him greatly if memory serves.)
He was already on wets and switched to new wets, but it gave him the chance to refuel longer and get him out in the right place.

Monaco records.

Driver wins
A. SENNA 6
G. HILL 5
M. SCHUMACHER 5
A. PROST 4
N. ROSBERG 3

Constructor wins
McLaren 15
Ferrari 8
Lotus 7

Driver poles
A. SENNA 5
J. FANGIO 4
J. CLARK 4
J. STEWART 4
A. PROST 4

Constructor poles
McLaren 11
Lotus 9
Ferrari 9
Williams 7

Driver fastest laps
M. SCHUMACHER 5
J. FANGIO 4
A. SENNA 4
A. PROST 4
M. HAKKINEN 3
K. RAIKKONEN 3

Constructor fastest laps
Ferrari 17
McLaren 10
Lotus 7

Driver podiums
A. SENNA 8
G. HILL 7
M. SCHUMACHER 7
A. PROST 6

Constructor podiums
Ferrari 49
McLaren 26
Lotus 16
Williams 14
BRM 10
Brabham 9
Red Bull 8

Driver laps led
M. SCHUMACHER 435
A. SENNA 422
G. HILL 368
S. MOSS 358
J. STEWART 299
J. FANGIO 250
A. PROST 232
N. ROSBERG 170
N. LAUDA 164
F. ALONSO 153
J. SCHECKTER 152
M. WEBBER 140
L. HAMILTON 113
N. MANSELL 104
D. COULTHARD 101
J. CLARK 97
J. BUTTON 93

Engine laps led
Ford Cosworth 930
Mercedes 792
Ferrari 700
Renault 682
BRM 462
Climax 432
Honda 397

Monaco records.

Driver wins
A. SENNA 6
G. HILL 5
M. SCHUMACHER 5
A. PROST 4
N. ROSBERG 3

Constructor wins
McLaren 15
Ferrari 8
Lotus 7

Driver poles
A. SENNA 5
J. FANGIO 4
J. CLARK 4
J. STEWART 4
A. PROST 4

Constructor poles
McLaren 11
Lotus 9
Ferrari 9
Williams 7

Driver fastest laps
M. SCHUMACHER 5
J. FANGIO 4
A. SENNA 4
A. PROST 4
M. HAKKINEN 3
K. RAIKKONEN 3

Constructor fastest laps
Ferrari 17
McLaren 10
Lotus 7

Driver podiums
A. SENNA 8
G. HILL 7
M. SCHUMACHER 7
A. PROST 6

Constructor podiums
Ferrari 49
McLaren 26
Lotus 16
Williams 14
BRM 10
Brabham 9
Red Bull 8

Driver laps led
M. SCHUMACHER 435
A. SENNA 422
G. HILL 368
S. MOSS 358
J. STEWART 299
J. FANGIO 250
A. PROST 232
N. ROSBERG 170
N. LAUDA 164
F. ALONSO 153
J. SCHECKTER 152
M. WEBBER 140
L. HAMILTON 113
N. MANSELL 104
D. COULTHARD 101
J. CLARK 97
J. BUTTON 93

Engine laps led
Ford Cosworth 930
Mercedes 792
Ferrari 700
Renault 682
BRM 462
Climax 432
Honda 397

I just hope the first one will never be beaten ..... ever!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Spy.

I just hope the first one will never be beaten ..... ever!!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Spy.
Why?

I could understand wanting no one from his era to beat his records, but Senna would be retired by now....different era, so who cares. Taking the approach of "the best is all behind us" is kind of a lame way to watch sports no?

I sure as hell hope someone comes along and crushes every one of Senna's records....otherwise what's the point in keeping stats? Records are meant to be broken.

McLaren should be alright here. The chassis is good, and this isn't really a power circuit. The Red Bull of Ricciardo with that new engine just might be able to split, if not beat, the Mercedes. A wet Sunday will be very interesting though. Having these high powered, high torque cars in the wet at Monaco will be a real test. I fully expect safety car stoppages.

Speaking of bad quality F1 videos to be taken down sooner or later, one of the most underrated overtakes of the last few years in my opinion, Hulkenberg on Magnussen at Portier in 2014:

Portier corner is unchanged since the Monaco GP exists, and I guess that is one of the very few overtakes happened there.

One of my favorite passes, from the 2006 race (title is wrong):

DK
Not even by Max? :P

Why?

I could understand wanting no one from his era to beat his records, but Senna would be retired by now....different era, so who cares. Taking the approach of "the best is all behind us" is kind of a lame way to watch sports no?

I sure as hell hope someone comes along and crushes every one of Senna's records....otherwise what's the point in keeping stats? Records are meant to be broken.

Well Senna is my all time hero,yes Max could be the next...but that wont change the fact that for me Senna whas the greatest driver who ever lived,and i like to remember him like that forever,so thats why i would like to see his name pop up in these kind of stats even in 40 years time....

I know it sounds a bit goofy,but i grew up in that time and have seem him race several times when i used to go to a lot of F1 races back then...i can remember every single second i saw him fly by...

So yes,records are ment to be broken i agree...but i hope this one will last longer than me :scared:

Spy.

(Re- Senna)

Piffle - Win at Monaco and you are a legend...throw in a win at the Indy 500 and you becomes pretty special. If you can manage to endure that little French all-day all-night race Le Mans then you elevated out of the merely fast onto the shortlist for greatest driver... and it is a pretty short list.

The greatest wears the crown - the triple crown.

(Edit - Sorry TenEightyOne for the confusion my tardy post caused.)

Last edited:
Ryk
Piffle - Win at Monaco and you are a legend...throw in a win at the Indy 500 and you becomes pretty special. If you can manage to endure that little French all-day all-night race Le Mans then you elevated out of the merely fast onto the shortlist for greatest driver... and it is a pretty short list.

The greatest wears the crown - the triple crown.

What does that have to do with Massa's crash, or were you replying to something you forgot to quote/tag?

Looks like Ferrari had been doing fuel runs, now the expected order is emerging. Verstappen still fastest in the trap.

Huuuuge save from Bottas in the tunnel! Usually those "moments" lead to wheel-less cars skating out of the other end...

That could have been seriously nasty, the debris either came off Rosberg's car or he threw it up at Button. Looking at the damage it's caused to Button's car it's thankful it didn't hit him in the face :(

EDIT: It was a manhole cover? Nasty :( :(

EDIT 2: Session red-flagged, will not be restarted.

Back