Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 373 comments
upload_2020-11-29_15-33-32.png

And as it seems no other people like marshalls injured in the neighborhood of the accident.

===

Edit: At least a 45 minute delay of the restart

Last edited:
I wouldn’t think bad of any of the drivers if they said they didn’t want to drive.
Certainly Magnussen. I am doubting the validity of the crash test when seeing that car come apart that way. That's NOT what's supposed to happen.

I can understand that, but it seems like awful spot, especially in a situation like this. Maybe they should take the angle away from the barrier and move it further back for more space?
Why we have armco here without a softening barrier in today's racing is beyond me. Any high impact spot should either have a 'safer' barrier or tires. Just glad he's ok overall... hope the injuries are not serious.

Last edited:
You very rarely get to see head on incidents in racing, even with a light guard rail the results are savage.

I'll be surprised if he isn't injured though especially in the legs as there isn't much leg protection for head on's in open wheel cars.

Last edited:
Safety cell looks remarkably in tact considering. Well done to all F1 designers and manufacturers.
That's what I thought. Left side of the halo looks like it has a fracture, but the bulk of it remained in one piece.

Edit* I'm a bit surprised they actually showed the footage of him immediately trying to crawl out under, then over the barrier.

Last edited:
I was thinking yesterday I can't remember the last time a fuel cell went up in flames...

It would appear we've found our latest safety flaw the needs correcting. There is clearly a flaw in the design of both the cars and the armco barriers, which apparently are weak enough to be breached by a car but also strong enough to cleanly slice a car in half. I've always felt a bit funny about the fuel cell being directly behind the driver, the car broke up in the way that the front wing can be easier attached and detached, and that should've be happening right down the middle of the car. Hubert's car broke in the same place.

Last edited:
I'm still in shock. Thank goodness he's OK. That's one of the biggest crashes I've seen in years.

What scares me is that they want to use the outer track next week and the speeds will be crazy. I wouldn't race if the barriers are like that.

Definitely should raise some questions about the strength of the barrier and the quality of its construction. It basically functioned as a Venetian blind on impact.

He went through the barrier. ANYBODY who still thinks the Halo is a waste of time is an absolute idiot and deserves to be banned from this forum or something. Without the Halo, Romain would have been decapitated there.

The only issue with the halo IMO is it doesnt protect from smaller objects.
Like that spring that hit Alonso.
Alonso was knocked out after that spring hit him.

Imagine that happening combined with this type of accident with a fire.
So KOed and in a big fire, Fire Extinguishers are useless against this type of fire as we can see in the replays.

Indy Car has the AeroScreen which will protect from small as well as large objects.

Last edited:
The only issue with the halo IMO is it doesnt protect from smaller objects.
Like that spring that hit Alonso.
Alonso was knocked out after that spring hit him.

Imagine that happening combined with this type of accident with a fire.
So KOed and in a big fire, Fire Extinguishers are useless against this type of fire as we can see in the replays.

Indy Car has the AeroScreen which will protect from small as well as large objects.
Massa,

But better this than nothing

Back