Formula 1 Lenovo United States Grand Prix 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 193 comments
Interestingly enough, it's Charlie and Lewis, so it's two different cars unless they're sharing notes on car development and strategy.

Interestingly enough, it's Charlie and Lewis, so it's two different cars unless they're sharing notes on car development and strategy.
Ferrari might have shared race strategy with Mercedes today.

They're boo'ing Abbott as well. We're doing alright.
Thats who that was on the podium…was wondering who that was…dude is a demon

I lol’d at the boo’ing, lewis got the same a couple times so im sure they expect it

I won't, because with that car he would be slower than the Haas'es most likely.

I mean, Alonso is 42 and outqualifying Stroll constantly... :lol:
Haha yeah Alonso is really driving well this year. Though Stroll isn't exactly a driver to measure skill against - especially when he's teamed up with one of the greatest modern F1 drivers.

I think last year will be a bit of an outlier between the two. Lewis looked to have basically "sacrificed" his season by running R&D on the car where as Mercedes heavily relied on George for maximum points possibilities. This year, the car is in a much better state although I will concede to @TumeK5 's point; because Lewis spent so much of last year exploring the huge failures of the car, I do think his input has transformed this year's car into something more suitable to him. George has clearly benefited from the better car as well, but yeah, I think it's without doubt Mercedes is tailoring the car more to Lewis & within' understandable reasons.
They both have very similar driving styles actually, you can see it on the onboards on F1 website and the data graphs in qualifying laps. It's tweaks here and there that sre the difference. Last year the tweaks were massive for obvious reasons. They have a stable car this year.

Does it suit him more? I don't know. From the onboards Hamilton still looks more hesitant than he used to, I just think his tyre nursing is so far ahead of Russell which is causing these huge gaps. Don't forget each grade of tyre is softer by 1 this year - this is a major factor.

Verstappen is the only other driver to be on Hamiltons tyre wear level. They're in another class when it comes to that.

Hamilton and Leclerc have been disqualified due to technical infringements.
That definitely gives Red Bull the FACC win (although the results already did) - two races later than the real world - but boy am I glad I didn't do the GTPFF1 points yet.

It’s been a couple decades since I last watched an F1 race. I’m a child on 70s, 80s and 90s F1 races when it was questionable if the car or even the driver would make it to the end of the race. Then in the 2000s it got kind of boring and hard to watch (I moved to the US wherever there was no OTA broadcast) so stopped.

I’m beginning to get interested again. Honestly I did not know this circuit even existed. I found it an interesting race even though I only recognized a few names in the roster. Seemed to be a lot of variability with pit and tire strategy in this one. I hope there is more variability in other races as well.

Great start from Norris. Really hoping he does well today. Hamilton missed a trick at the start should've gone around the outside at turn 1. Still his race pace is incredible should get 2nd today if no problems for Verstappen.
Good prediction early on. Are you this good with lottery tickets as well?

Last edited:
I was looking at the scrutineer document and noticed the following regarding the plank check:
A physical floor and a plank wear inspection was carried out on car numbers 01, 16, 44 and 04.

I went back to the previous two races a noticed no tests were noted for those items. I'm wondering how they decide who gets tested and when. Is it a case of 50% of those that were chosen failed or are there other indicators to decide on testing.

Mercedes and Ferrari definitely coordinated their responses though ;) (below is included in both decision documents):
During the hearing the team acknowleged that the measurement performed by the
FIA Technical Team was correct and stated that the high wear on the skid pads was
probably a result of the unique combination of the bumpy track and the Sprint race
schedule that minimized the time to set up and check the car before the race.

Bet that lady hassling that McLaren fan doesn't feel so hot now.

Just a question, aren't these checks post race supposed to be random? And it just so happens to be 3 cars that were infront of Perez of Red Bull? That's some luck for them.

Just a question, aren't these checks post race supposed to be random?
No, post race checks aren't random. They can check anyone, can look at specific cars.

The sporting regulations permit technical delegate Jo Bauer to carry out “at his discretion, any checks to verify the compliance of the cars entered in the competition”
No point in answering the other conspiracy theory in your question.

Just a question, aren't these checks post race supposed to be random? And it just so happens to be 3 cars that were infront of Perez of Red Bull? That's some luck for them.
Red Bull, Mclaren, Ferrari and Mercedes all had a car inspected for the same thing, and it was Mercedes and Ferrari that were found to be in breach of the rules. Sounds like it might have been luckier for Russell and Sainz, both of who benefitted from the DSQ's and were quite possibly also running cars whose floors/planks would have been in breach of the rules by the end of the race.

Me looking at comments on Twitter

michael-jackson.gif

It's a pretty amusing situation given all that has happened over the past couple years. Imagine if Lewis was disqualified from a race win? 🍿

It's a pretty amusing situation given all that has happened over the past couple years. Imagine if Lewis was disqualified from a race win? 🍿
Ooh, I think this thread had to be shut down if that was the case. :lol:

nvm link already posted above

I don't agree that this is opening a can of worms. The FIA has been doing checks this way for a very long time and now it's suddenly a problem? ya ok.

Last edited:
Imagine if Lewis was disqualified from a race win? 🍿
Or any driver, for that matter.

The fact is that if your car fails a technical inspection (like Hamilton's did in Brazil in 2021), you shouldn't be classified for that session.

For fans to watch an excellent race (or, in this case, merely not an entirely crap one) and cheer the podium only to find out what they watched wasn't real two hours later is... kinda irritating, regardless.

Or any driver, for that matter.

The fact is that if your car fails a technical inspection (like Hamilton's did in Brazil in 2021), you shouldn't be classified for that session.

For fans to watch an excellent race (or, in this case, merely not an entirely crap one) and cheer the podium only to find out what they watched wasn't real two hours later is... kinda irritating, regardless.

A far cry from BTCCs “if the roller don’t fit you don’t get a podium” immediately as they pull off the circuit.

Looking at the rear end of the Merc, they didn't just update the floor of the car, did they? The engine cover looks to be a lot wider than before.

Back