Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio d'Italia 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 328 comments
Why didn't the SC pick up Max initially? In the past I'm sure I've seen the SC hover around turn 1 off line, letting cars further down the pack who have happened to get to the SC first overtake it straight away. But instead they messed around for 3 or 4 laps with Max like 10th in line?

F3 - red flag confusion and mess making a farcical ending.
F2 - red flag chaos and driver given the wrong penalty. Driver who caused crash on lap 1 gets away with taking 2 drivers out.
F1 - that ending...

Dire day for the FIA at Monza today.

Lame. How did they not red flag that ish?

Max may have still won, but c'mon. Finishing under a SC? C'mon...

De Vries impressed.

Nothin' else to say, really, except: Dammit, Dani...

caddyshack-danny.gif

Why didn't the SC pick up Max initially? In the past I'm sure I've seen the SC hover around turn 1 off line, letting cars further down the pack who have happened to get to the SC first overtake it straight away. But instead they messed around for 3 or 4 laps with Max like 10th in line?
It came out just after Verstappen and Leclerc passed start/finish, and then they both made a pit stop. The safety car either picked up the wrong cars or they decided that they wouldn't wait and let cars by for 3 minutes.

There was definitely something odd going on with the SC and positioning. Wonder if it was another technical issue at race control.

Well that was positively boring and the ending was even more so. Took them far too long to actually deploy the SC.

Every race since returning from summer break had been a snoozefest.

Pretty uninspiring race but my expectations are always low going into this one. Can't wait for the Indycar finale at Laguna Seca later today.

God forbid they red flag to sort it out. F1 keeps looking more and more like a farce.
Don't get me wrong, I 100% would've preferred to have the race end with proper racing, but I'd also rather have race control follow their rules when the situation calls for it.

Last year the rule book was thrown out for the sake of causing a spectacle, and it went very, very badly in the long run. Even though I would've wanted to see Charles try and fight Max for the win, I'm ok with the organizers actually sticking to their own rules.

Pretty uninspiring race but my expectations are always low going into this one. Can't wait for the Indycar finale at Laguna Seca later today.
Same here. IndyCar has been putting on a superior product for years now. F1 used to have the huge advantage of having quick yellows but they just gave that up today in a big way.

Well that was positively boring and the ending was even more so. Took them far too long to actually deploy the SC.

Every race since returning from summer break had been a snoozefest.
Italian GPs are usually boring TBH. I really wouldn't care if we didn't come here, but I know that's one for the unpopular opinions thread.

Ha, to be clear I mean Monza specifically. I'd have no problem with them moving it elsewhere, unfortunately there aren't really any better options.
Imola is really the only other option. Unless they want to go crazy and try the Nardo ring.

Let's make it clear.

A Red Flag is specifically for when the track is in a condition where you cannot go racing. If it is too tricky to control the pack behind the Safety Car, you go red.
A red flag is NOT something thrown to spice up the racing. This isn't effing NASCAR. A Red Flag thrown in the last few laps should be race end, not a chance for a restart for 2 laps. Once you are past the 75%, a Red Flag is race over.

The mistake there was how long it took to deploy the SC, it then missing Verstappen and then spending 3 laps trying to get everyone back in order. Make a rule that says lapped cars will not be allowed to unlap in the last 3 laps of a race for example and then we could have restarted that race for 2 laps. The car was clear on lap 51, lights could have gone out there and then.

That McLaren should have been dealt with on a VSC, until the marshals discovered it couldn't move, which was the time to upgrade to fill SC.

This all comes from the FIAs cowardice to allow marshals to do their jobs. Vettel's car was a 20 second push back which was so simple to do under double yellows. That McLaren would usually be possible under double yellows, and you upgrade it to bring the truck on to lift it, once it's discovered that the car isn't movable by manpower. Enforce drivers slowing down under yellow flags - they have to follow a delta under VSC and SC, so it's unbelievably simple to dictate a delta in the minisectors for double yellow flags.

Italian GPs are usually boring TBH. I really wouldn't care if we didn't come here, but I know that's one for the unpopular opinions thread.
I used to think that, but since 2018 (until today's dull and anticlimax) Monza has proved to be one of the most exciting races every year.

Back