Formula 1 Rolex British Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 336 comments
Hamilton is the greatest.

bbbj8k0stea31.jpg

80 wins, 12 to go!

bbbj8k0stea31.jpg

80 wins, 12 to go!

I don't think he will achieve it this year, but if he comes back as dominant next year, that win record will definitely be his. If not for anything else, I really won't mind watching F1 just to see if he makes it because that's a massive achievement and one for the history books of F1. If I'm not mistaken, he is the only driver to have at least 1 race win ever season since he got into Formula 1, even that in itself is an impressive feat!

I don't think he will achieve it this year, but if he comes back as dominant next year, that win record will definitely be his. If not for anything else, I really won't mind watching F1 just to see if he makes it because that's a massive achievement and one for the history books of F1. If I'm not mistaken, he is the only driver to have at least 1 race win ever season since he got into Formula 1, even that in itself is an impressive feat!
He would have to win every race remaining this season just to match Schumi's record. As good as Lewis is, I don't see him winning the 11 rounds left.

Hamilton and Bottas scrapping against each other and we get a crowd shot. Unbelievable.
Lol yes, this was ridiculous. I mean, if it were a really quick crowd shot for 1-1.5 seconds then sure, but it felt like a full 5 seconds or more while the battle was still very much unfolding. Felt like something you'd see in the 80s, just bad directorial decisions.

He would have to win every race remaining this season just to match Schumi's record. As good as Lewis is, I don't see him winning the 11 rounds left.

I agree and that's why I said I don't think it will happen this year. There are just too many unknowns come race day and it's just not realistic. Everything would have to be perfectly aligned for him every race weekend in order to pull that off.

Great battle between Max and Charles, surprised the usual suspects from the Austria thread aren’t getting hysterical about it.

The person(s) picking the camera angles needs to get canned.

Time for Vettel to hang up the helmet, or switch teams. He’s still very fast but his head is not in the game, I’ll be very surprised if he’s in F1 after 2020.

Last edited:
Lol yes, this was ridiculous. I mean, if it were a really quick crowd shot for 1-1.5 seconds then sure, but it felt like a full 5 seconds or more while the battle was still very much unfolding. Felt like something you'd see in the 80s, just bad directorial decisions.

The WEC television director does the same thing. There's a battle on track and then suddenly they cut to the people in the garage for 5 or so seconds like you said. It makes you want to :banghead:

I was thinking about it... am I alone in thinking that the pits should close (minus a penalty) during VSC or SC? Join the queue for SC then pit in concert. SC shouldn't determine a race, as this one did.

I was thinking about it... am I alone in thinking that the pits should close (minus a penalty) during VSC or SC? Join the queue for SC then pit in concert. SC shouldn't determine a race, as this one did.
No, it was tried before and failed miserably.

Safety Cars can make or break races. Spain and Britain were two example of races where an interesting strategy race was changed/destroyed by a Safety Car, but most of the other times one happens it can throw up the order and cause brilliant races after it. Leave it as it is because we will eventually get a race that is made by a safety car at the right moment.

Excellent racing in these last two GPs. :D The Ferrari and Red Bull appear to be quite evenly matched, with a heated rivalry brewing between two young lions. :lol: Brilliant driving from Leclerc and Verstappen in this race. THIS is what F1 needs.

I think the old-school style tracks were enablers of this action. They don't produce a good race on their own (indeed, there have been many boring races on these two tracks, and Monza, and Spa...), but they can enable one, if the right ingredients are in place. One notable thing about both the Red Bull Ring and Silverstone is the lack of tight chicanes. Silverstone has big S curves and left-right sections instead, which makes for a more free-flowing circuit.

So maybe that is something to think about. Instead of focusing on the trees (corners designed to be overtaking spots), we should instead be looking at the forest (tracks that have a natural flow to them, to enable the building up of momentum for battles/overtaking). Take Paul Ricard for example. I've seen people say that removing the chicane on the Mistral straight would remove an overtaking spot (the horror), but perhaps removing the chicane would just affect where on the circuit the battle takes place, since that would change the flow? Some food for thought.

Or they could just move the French GP back to Reims. :P :lol:

Hamilton and Bottas scrapping against each other and we get a crowd shot. Unbelievable.
To me, the funniest part of that whole episode was the look on the crowd’s faces.

Either they were being extremely British and keeping their enthusiasm for the racing firmly under control....or, and this is what I think happened....they were probably watching the same feed as us on a big screen across from their grand stand, and were equally confused and pissed off as us that the on screen action was interrupted by a random crowd shot.

Great battle between Max and Charles, surprised the usual suspects from the Austria thread aren’t getting hysterical about it

Could it be because pre-austria some of us thought the rules were there to be followed (especially after Vettel's penalty in Canada) but after the decision of not penalizing Max, we now know the rules are even less relevant because they're more of a political tool than a way to make sure the sport is fair, safe and consistent for every driver irrespective of their status?*

Just an idea.

*that was a weird long sentence.

Rich Energy confirm on "their"* Twaddle that they've sold a "majority stake in the legal entity of Rich Energy Ltd. to a third party". They've chosen to accompany the tweet with a picture of Storey with Bernie Ecclestone, don't know if that means anything or not.

I've also read that Rich Energy have now changed their name to "Lightning Volt", not sure how true that is. I'm not sure of anything in this mad saga :)

Mods/@Famine, should these Rich Energy posts get split into a new thread given that this story is likely to rumble on for quite some time?

*"They" seemingly being the company-divorced Storey

If that IS Storey then he's simultaneous raised/lowered his game. I wonder if this is actually a prank. Who knows any more? :D

LightningVolt.JPG

Excellent racing in these last two GPs. :D The Ferrari and Red Bull appear to be quite evenly matched, with a heated rivalry brewing between two young lions. :lol: Brilliant driving from Leclerc and Verstappen in this race. THIS is what F1 needs.

I think the old-school style tracks were enablers of this action. They don't produce a good race on their own (indeed, there have been many boring races on these two tracks, and Monza, and Spa...), but they can enable one, if the right ingredients are in place. One notable thing about both the Red Bull Ring and Silverstone is the lack of tight chicanes. Silverstone has big S curves and left-right sections instead, which makes for a more free-flowing circuit.

So maybe that is something to think about. Instead of focusing on the trees (corners designed to be overtaking spots), we should instead be looking at the forest (tracks that have a natural flow to them, to enable the building up of momentum for battles/overtaking). Take Paul Ricard for example. I've seen people say that removing the chicane on the Mistral straight would remove an overtaking spot (the horror), but perhaps removing the chicane would just affect where on the circuit the battle takes place, since that would change the flow? Some food for thought.

Or they could just move the French GP back to Reims. :P :lol:
I know Silverstone is as flat as a pancake but I don't consider it to be boring because of the things you've mentioned. The section from Luffield to Stowe is just brilliant as you carry such high speeds through each corner. That's why I hate the Tilke tracks - there's just no flow or rhythm to them and that's boring.

Last edited:
I know Silverstone is as flat as a pancake
It really isn't. The startline to T4 is all uphill, Copse is a climb, the track starts to descend through Becketts, and there's a lot of gradient out of Stowe. The highest to lowest point of the circuit is over 10m, which is more than about 5 or so circuits on the calendar.

Definitely a pleasant surprise. As the resident "F1 is pretty boring" guy in a lot of these threads the past couple races have been breaths of fresh air.

Lewis was lucky with the safety car (as Vettel was back in Australia - last year?) but with his staggering pace he would have likely passed Bottas without it. They really were shockingly good. Not surprising I suppose.

Nice to see Haas continue to Haas (every year I'm stunned that we come back and Grosjean is still there...). McLaren still strutting around in their newfound big boy pants - which is nice to see.

Max and Leclerc setting up the rivalry that'll be around for 10 years if they both stay in the sport. Young, talented, top tier cars. You're watching the future of the competition for world champion once Mercedes dissolves or Lewis departs.

I'm not surprised at all by Vettel. We've all more or less been aware that he and Lewis both have their psychological ticks, often swinging them back and forth in performance. I don't believe Vettel has the pure talent of Hamilton, but he's in the solid centre 70% of F1 drivers who could win a race if they have the right car. Vettel won all of his WDC in the best car, but has never really shone outside of the best car. We don't see the miraculous drives from him that we do from Lewis etc. Vettel is being Vettel'ed - being sidelined as a new talented kid comes in and steal all the attention. Vettel is now the Webber, etc. :D

I think Max could be one of the top 10% the truly talented, a guy with that little extra. We'll know in another couple years.

I do hope the Leclerc/Max battles continue, and I hope they both stay with their respective teams (or similarly excellent teams) next year etc. We've been far too long without a proper, legit rivalry in the paddock.

I am starting to think, more and more, that Vettel has made the decision to retire already. His driving seems awful reminiscent of when he made the decision to leave Redbull, like his heart just isn't in it anymore and what other decision is there to make? Surely he is not going to Merc and there is nowhere else to go. Didn't he just get married? Settle down with a pretty young wife, start a family, live happily ever after, enjoy life and all his millions etc.etc.etc. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the announcement near the end of the season.

I'm not surprised at all by Vettel. We've all more or less been aware that he and Lewis both have their psychological ticks, often swinging them back and forth in performance. I don't believe Vettel has the pure talent of Hamilton, but he's in the solid centre 70% of F1 drivers who could win a race if they have the right car. Vettel won all of his WDC in the best car, but has never really shone outside of the best car. We don't see the miraculous drives from him that we do from Lewis etc. Vettel is being Vettel'ed - being sidelined as a new talented kid comes in and steal all the attention. Vettel is now the Webber, etc. :D

Sebastian-Vettel-Italy-Monza-F1-2008-podium-with-Kovalainen-and-Kubica-Foto-F1fanatic.jpg

I'm curious to see if Hamilton could win a race in a Toro Rosso.

Vettel was the Webber when Ricciardo joined RBR and he's doing the same with LeClerc at Ferrari. I was so happy seeing Ricciardo drive better than Vettel and seeing that he had weakness. After all those years of RBR being seemingly unbeatable it was good to see him break down.

I am starting to think, more and more, that Vettel has made the decision to retire already. His driving seems awful reminiscent of when he made the decision to leave Redbull, like his heart just isn't in it anymore and what other decision is there to make? Surely he is not going to Merc and there is nowhere else to go. Didn't he just get married? Settle down with a pretty young wife, start a family, live happily ever after, enjoy life and all his millions etc.etc.etc. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the announcement near the end of the season.
My counter to that is that Lewis has never spent time at a team that is incapable of winning. Even his 2009 season, which people claim was his worst car, was a car that was definitely capable of winning races on occasion, as he had in Hungary. He's never dragged a car that should not even be in the conversation before imo. Sure he'll go down in history as one of the most successful drivers, but I've never seen him as a great driver as he's always had a race winning car. Especially in the past 5 years, he's had a 50% shot at winning the title. All he has done is outshine drivers who were never really on the ticket for greatness in the first place.

I should add, no discredit to him. He's taken advantage of his fortunate situation and is rewriting the history books. I just don't think he's nearly as good as people claim for him to be.

He's never dragged a car that should not even be in the conversation before imo.
Did you even watch the first half of that season? He finished 13th in Turkey, 16th in Britain and 18th in Germany, all on pure (lack of) pace before turning it around and winning in Hungary in the next race. If you think the McLaren that year wasn't an awful car for half a season you're sorely wrong.

Did you even watch the first half of that season? He finished 13th in Turkey, 16th in Britain and 18th in Germany, all on pure (lack of) pace before turning it around and winning in Hungary in the next race. If you think the McLaren that year wasn't an awful car for half a season you're sorely wrong.
Was it a championship winning car? No. But was it a race winning car after the mid season updates? Absolutely. Kovaleinen finisehd 5th in Hungary. The car was competitive after they made that update. He won when the car was a race-winning car.

Back