Formula 1 Rolex British Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 336 comments
What was Vettel's weekend like?

66702876_3019957248044626_3830778861419757568_n.jpg
"Simply mucking horrible."

I got a very keen feeling over the last year or so that Vettel is slowly losing his enjoyment of racing in F1. It seems like after Singapore 2017 and Germany 2018 that his mental strength was taking hits, which impacted his racecraft. Canada 2019 and today at Silverstone just further solidify that feeling for me.

Obviously I would love to be wrong, but I'm starting to think we won't see Vettel running after the 2020 season.

I tend to agree. His performance over the 2018 and so far in 2019 has been questionable, and quite frankly full of unforced errors. I honestly don't think he can perform under pressure at the moment, and I think it's getting to him.

I honestly think it would be good for him to maybe explore other forms of motorsport, much as Alonso has done this year, with great success as well.

Man of the race, well it's men of the race for me. Leclerc and Verstappen for giving us some fantastic nail-biting racing.

Good God, it's even more sad that RE are actually getting media attention. Their Twitter account should be closed.

I'm getting tired of the sentiment that it's okay to **** on drivers because of mistakes they've made.

I've realized that the F1 community has been 'Fortnite-ed' with all of the memes and takes that are spreading like wildfire on various forums.

Maybe it's because of the people of my generation finally latching onto the sport, as well as an influx of young drivers, but various online communities are getting very toxic.

Though GTPlanet can get that way sometimes, it's great knowing that I can expect a level headed discussion from time to time.

As for the Vettel-Verstappen incident, they both acknowledge the incident with Vettel taking the issue head on right after the race. What more needs to be said with this?

Hes made mistakes last year and this year, but reading comments that "He's getting too old, no wonder there are retirement rumours" is tiring.

We don't need to kick older drivers out like they're elderly people on the road. Vettel still has the drive in him.

Imagine how strange it would be if all of the drivers would retire after a mistake or even after a single championship like Rosberg.

We're the ones losing out on seeing champions, masters of their trade, fight it out.

End if the day, what a race.

Last edited:
I'm getting tired of the sentiment that it's okay to **** on drivers because of mistakes they've made.

I've realized that the F1 community has been 'Fortnite-ed' with all of the memes and takes that are spreading like wildfire on various forums.

Maybe it's because of the people of my generation finally latching onto the sport, as well as an influx of young drivers, but various online communities are getting very toxic.

It's been going on in one way or another on motorsport forums since the 60s, new tech just spreads the meme faster.

It's been going on in one way or another on motorsport forums since the 60s, new tech just spreads the meme faster.
Yeah, I was just thinking about what people would say at a pub post race in the 60s. I'm sure there would be similar chatter, but I feel like it's an issue of rolling with it instead of calling it out, especially with being able to pander to the mind share with a single post.

I'm glad this behavior doesn't seem to fester out into the races themselves, though I've yet to experience a race myself, yet.

Seeing people call Lewis’s drive great :lol:

The guy lucked into that win 100%. The hilarious thing is that had he been on the unlucky side of that, he’d be blaming the team for putting him on a bad strategy

Two great races in a row.

Hamilton drove a great race, put the pressure on for many laps and was clearly faster. On the safety car restart Bottas couldn't return the favour even on softer tyres that weren't that much older. Further compounded by Hamilton getting fastest lap very old hard tyres on the last lap.

TV director was really poor sadly.

Not sure what's going on with Vettel but the current situation is quickly reminding me of the time after Ricciardo first joined Red Bull as his teammate. While I'm not going to say that he should retire, I think he needs to try something different whether that is to get away, clear his mind and reset like Bottas at the start of the season or live a different lifestyle like Lewis, I don't know....either way he needs to do something because right now, he's fading and fading fast.

Well that was a fun weekend. Topped off by watching the cricket world cup final on the big screens in the fanzone by the stage while we waited for drivers to come and have interviews. Being in a crowd of English people as England won the Cricket World Cup was brilliant!

No incidents on my post all weekend, but watching the cars from the wall at Maggotts was unmissable. The speed through Becketts they carried was unbelievable, and you could really tell the differences between cars and drivers through the middle corner of the complex.

The speed through Becketts they carried was unbelievable, and you could really tell the differences between cars and drivers through the middle corner of the complex.

I haven't seen F1 cars go through that section in person, but even on TV it looks spectacular when they're on their A-game.

Must feel incredible behind the wheel when they nail the apexes.

Also, did anyone else see Red Bulls new attire for this 1,007 GP?

D_b8oEqWwAAdDlb.jpg

And I thought the Austrian lederhosen version was bad enough...

Max's car also had the Goldfinger Aston Martin's licence plate on the rear wing, whilst Pierre had the plate from the car in The Living Daylights.

Last edited:
Man if you pretend Mercedes don't exist then F1 turns into the best sport on earth. The Ferrari Red Bull scraps(figuratively and literally) are something to behold.

Seriously though what is their deal? They were so quick that they could come in for an extra precautionary pitstop, not at the end of an long race, but a couple dozen laps after a safety car.

The Max Leclerc scrap was great but it was shocking how slow the Ferrari was in some of the high speed corners. Or compared to Mercedes who Leclerc was hundredths off taking pole from. Leclerc and Verstappen drove like champions out there today.

Speaking of Champions, it's time for Ferrari to really reconsider their hierarchy and stop being so incompetent with Leclerc. Vettel should hand some of those championships back if he really is going to keep these performances going. Blown diffuser Nick Heidfeld.

Hamilton and Bottas scrapping against each other and we get a crowd shot. Unbelievable.

@Jubby
I’m not a longtime F1 fan but during the Verstappen/Leclerc battle, the cut to the camera at Becketts? was trash. They needed an overhead or just leave it onboard with Max.

I agree though, they got their act together in the 2nd half of the race. Heck of a race, I could have skipped the coffee this morning here in the States. :D

Edit cause I’m ignorant and don’t know how to multi-quote and added Jubby.:lol:

Last edited:
For his Saturday alone, and for that gutsy fightback after Lewis passed him early on, Bottas did deserve that win.

But Lewis lucked into the right strategy and showed that he had the speed all race long. Even without that safety car, he would have come out behind Bottas on the right tires after his pit. Seeing as how he was faster than Bottas at the end of his second stint, on older tires (with Bottas on his third set), there is a chance he could have made that move stick on track.

Coin flip as to who'd have won between them.

The real robbery is LeClerc - Verstappen pt.2, which never happened because of that Vettel incident. Good on Seb for admitting that mistake, but he's really got to put his head down and get some results. Even with that engine issue in Bahrain and the crash in Monaco, LeClerc is just 3 points off of Vettel, and has more momentum going into the middle of the season.

We expected Vettel to have first or second sewn up by this point of the year. To watch him have to fight for fourth is sad.

We expected Vettel to have first or second sewn up by this point of the year. To watch him have to fight for fourth is sad.

It reflects as much on him as the team, maybe more.

The guy lucked into that win 100%. The hilarious thing is that had he been on the unlucky side of that, he’d be blaming the team for putting him on a bad strategy

Bottas had to make a compound change, Hamilton had put in the times to be way ahead in any case.

Last edited:
What a race! Holy **** one of the best British GP’s I can remember since Lewis’s first win.

Not sure what Vettel was hoping to achieve, but Leclerc continues to make his 4xWC team mate* look a bit like an amateur.

Just wanted to bring this up, this isn’t correct.

At that point in the race (the SC coming out) Lewis had already put himself on to a one stop strategy.
Without a SC he would have come out ~1-2 seconds behind Bottas on fresh tyres and wouldn’t have to pit again, Bottas would have. And as we could see by the times Lewis was able to do at the end of his stint, his pace and/or wear wasn’t an issue.

Yeah it would have been closer, but to claim his win was 100% luck is pretty absurd.

Edit: *added a word

Last edited:
And as we could see by the times Lewis was able to do at the end of his stint, his pace and/or wear wasn’t an issue.
Understatement of the year? We have a bunch of guys doing some really amazing racing (really grateful for that!) and one guy fishing in a barrel. Now I believe it. Hamilton is the greatest.

Back