Formula 1 Rolex British Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 336 comments

Race Recap:

Lewis Hamilton: Came into Sunday with something to prove, after Bottas beat him by 0.006 in qualifying. Hounded Bottas hard in the first half of the race, enjoyed a good scrap. Got stuck with the B strategy by default as the following driver, then lucked into the win thanks to an opportune yellow flag. Shame he won it in the pits, but he had more pace than Bottas... as shown by his clinching fastest lap at the very end on older tires. Good run.

Valterri Bottas: He did everything right, but when your team-mate is a multiple world champion with the tenacity of a bloodhound, any little mishap will see you lose it all.

Charles LeClerc: Deserves drive of the race alongside Lewis. That fight with Max was fantastic, and he didn't set a wheel wrong all race long. After that mix-up in the pits, he had to overtake on track to get back into the battle with Max and Seb. Got gifted third after their tussle, but he should have been there in the first place. Good race.

Pierre Gasly: Okay, today, Pierre, you didn't suck all that bad. Sure, he lucked into fourth, but he's done much worse in other races.

Max Verstappen: What a heartbreaker. He had some of the best battles of the race, and that overtake on Vettel was superb. Lucky to even be finishing.

Carlos Sainz: What? Where? How? Excellent run for McLaren at its home Grand Prix. Shame Norris lost out in the pit shuffle.

Daniel Ricciardo: Scrappy race for Ricciardo. Could've, should've, would've, but still a good result.

Kimi Raikkonen: Thank you race directors, I have no idea how that happened.

Danill Kyvat: Almost a perfect points result for Honda...

Nico Hulkenberg: Except Nico got in the way.

No one else matters. Not even that four-time World Champion sitting in last place, a lap down, with a ten second penalty and (hopefully) another two penalty points on his license. Sebastian was underwhelming in qualifying, useless in the race, and completely out of it when forced to race wheel-to-wheel with Verstappen.

Time for Ferrari to go driver shopping.

This is one of those things that show that Bottas just isn't top tier material. Fastest tyre at the end of the race.

That Hamilton is an alien, and in front of the best crowd also helps, of course.

So the pole positions Bottas gets are just luck?

He was on the fastest tire, yes, but he was also screwed by his team and had the fastest lap on lap 51. 20+ seconds behind, why would he push on the last lap? Maybe he wasn't even pushing hard.

Race Recap:

Lewis Hamilton: Came into Sunday with something to prove, after Bottas beat him by 0.006 in qualifying. Hounded Bottas hard in the first half of the race, enjoyed a good scrap. Got stuck with the B strategy by default as the following driver, then lucked into the win thanks to an opportune yellow flag. Shame he won it in the pits, but he had more pace than Bottas... as shown by his clinching fastest lap at the very end on older tires. Good run.

Valterri Bottas: He did everything right, but when your team-mate is a multiple world champion with the tenacity of a bloodhound, any little mishap will see you lose it all.

Charles LeClerc: Deserves drive of the race alongside Lewis. That fight with Max was fantastic, and he didn't set a wheel wrong all race long. After that mix-up in the pits, he had to overtake on track to get back into the battle with Max and Seb. Got gifted third after their tussle, but he should have been there in the first place. Good race.

Pierre Gasly: Okay, today, Pierre, you didn't suck all that bad. Sure, he lucked into fourth, but he's done much worse in other races.

Max Verstappen: What a heartbreaker. He had some of the best battles of the race, and that overtake on Vettel was superb. Lucky to even be finishing.

Carlos Sainz: What? Where? How? Excellent run for McLaren at its home Grand Prix. Shame Norris lost out in the pit shuffle.

Daniel Ricciardo: Scrappy race for Ricciardo. Could've, should've, would've, but still a good result.

Kimi Raikkonen: Thank you race directors, I have no idea how that happened.

Danill Kyvat: Almost a perfect points result for Honda...

Nico Hulkenberg: Except Nico got in the way.

No one else matters. Not even that four-time World Champion sitting in last place, a lap down, with a ten second penalty and (hopefully) another two penalty points on his license. Sebastian was underwhelming in qualifying, useless in the race, and completely out of it when forced to race wheel-to-wheel with Verstappen.

Sainz lucked out on the safety car that's why he got ahead he was miles behind Ricciardo and Norris in track position before it.

Mclaren Ruined Norris strategy, they put him on the mediums(Pre safety car) but when the safety car came out they could of pitted him on hards and he would of been right behind Ricciardo because that is what he did, instead he got no points.

Being fast on Saturday doesn't mean **** when you can't win on Sunday. When you're actually racing. In the fastest car.

He just doesn't have that final bit of racecraft in him.

Then why couldn't Lewis pass Bottas on track today? I'm not saying Bottas is better than Lewis, because he isn't. But saying he isn't top tier is just dumb. How often do Team mistakes penalize Lewis instead of Bottas?

Verstappen was on the left the entire time, he just moved a bit more to close a potential gap. Surely Vettel should have anticipated that Verstappen wouldn't let him through.
If that was the case, then I believe Vettel simply got caught out/misjudged himself under braking. Nothing malicious, I'm sure, but the lock-up made all the difference as far as I could see.

By the way, congrats to Hamilton, Bottas and Leclerc for their victory and podium finishes. Nowhere near as tense as last year, but a few solid - and not so solid - moves throughout.

Then why couldn't Lewis pass Bottas on track today? I'm not saying Bottas is better than Lewis, because he isn't. But saying he isn't top tier is just dumb. How often do Team mistakes penalize Lewis instead of Bottas?

But it isn't just today. It has been like this since he drives the Mercedes. And his motto for this year was to be aggressive on Sunday to take the fight to Lewis. So far he is failing to actually show up when he needs to.

What he shows in the Mercedes is something every other driver on the grid can do. He is an absolute Nr 2.

Sure but with no safety car Hamilton still finishes 2nd.

Yes and with a faster engine the Williams would win today.

Edit.

Just to go back to the spectacle of today. That is 2 races in a row now that are what F1 so desperately needed.

You don't know that....from what I could tell, Bottas couldn't get away and Lewis stayed with him the whole time whereas when the table was reverse and Lewis was in front, Bottas showly dropped lap after lap so, we don't know that he would have finished 2nd.

But it isn't just today. It has been like this since he drives the Mercedes. And his motto for this year was to be aggressive on Sunday to take the fight to Lewis. So far he is failing to actually show up when he needs to.

What he shows in the Mercedes is something every other driver on the grid can do. He is an absolute Nr 2.

That's everyone's motto... Or is there any driver who doesn't give a damn about Saturday because grip position is irrelevant? C'mon.

So he failed today?

He's a number 2, yep. And Mercedes makes sure he his, even when he's on top.

@LordExia he fall back because Lewis had new tires from the stop under SC.

I dunno, Hamilton clearly decided to leave it after his first go at Bottas, so had the safety car not happened and he came out of the pits still behind Bottas he would've tried again before the end, he was faster on slower tyres.

I got a very keen feeling over the last year or so that Vettel is slowly losing his enjoyment of racing in F1. It seems like after Singapore 2017 and Germany 2018 that his mental strength was taking hits, which impacted his racecraft. Canada 2019 and today at Silverstone just further solidify that feeling for me.

Obviously I would love to be wrong, but I'm starting to think we won't see Vettel running after the 2020 season.

haasjoke.png

I got a very keen feeling over the last year or so that Vettel is slowly losing his enjoyment of racing in F1. It seems like after Singapore 2017 and Germany 2018 that his mental strength was taking hits, which impacted his racecraft. Canada 2019 and today at Silverstone just further solidify that feeling for me.

Obviously I would love to be wrong, but I'm starting to think we won't see Vettel running after the 2020 season.

This is now his fifth year at Ferrari, he's been there almost as long as with Red Bull. At this point in his Red Bull career he was storming to his fourth consecutive title, whereas here he's had two title campaigns collapse in the second half of the season, one primarily mechanical and the other driver error, and even if he'd got himself straightened out over the winter break he doesn't have a car that can consistently challenge and beat Mercedes, and when he does the stewards decide to intervene. Without that collision he would've been completely invisible in the race, there's was no fire or energy in his driving.

Verstappen just talked about his damage:
His seat was loose
Power steering didn't work properly
Floor was damaged

So not quite indestructible

To be honest, it would be a shame to lose Vettel like this. Silverstone last year showed that he can still race hard, fast and clean, and after watching that clip of him and Hamilton in Canada just now, I did feel for him within the knowledge of the stewards' decision. I've been out of the loop this season so far, but I do wonder whether the pressure of trying to get Ferrari another drivers/constructors crown, and the frustration at not being able to achieve this, has been ebbing away at Vettel's passion ever since he moved from Red Bull. Pretty sure that the constant negative press/social media coverage aimed at his direction isn't helping, either...

I heard out of reliable source that @Jimlaad43 sabotaged his part of the track, causing the safety car to come out at just the right moment for Lewis to take first place and the win.

:P
If by cleaning the camera in the kerb at Maggotts before the race I caused Giovinazzi's brakes to explode half a lap later is what you're talking about, then yes :D

Back